The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 June 2023, 03:33 AM   #1
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Icon19 Rolex certified pre-owned watches cost 25% more on average than those from...

Jun 23, 2023,
Rolex certified pre-owned watches cost 25% more on average than those from traditional resellers

> Rolex last month expanded its certified pre-owned watch program from Europe to the US.

> The secondhand timepieces come with a new two-year guarantee — and a hefty price premium.

> Every model except the Daytona is at least 17% more expensive on average when certified by the Crown.

When Rolex announced its certified pre-owned watch program last December, one big question on collectors' minds was how much this authentication would affect prices.

The answer? A lot. Used watches that have the official stamp from Rolex currently command a 25% higher price on average across the portfolio, according to data from WatchCharts, a price-tracking platform for luxury watches.

In other words, the inspection, certification, and two-year warranty — not to mention the confidence that it conveys for buyers — is worth a 25% premium over the price they would pay a traditional reseller for a similar watch.

The CPO program arrived in the US a little over a month ago at select Tourneau Bucherer boutiques, following an initial phase in Europe, and WatchCharts estimates several hundred certified watches have been sold...

More here...
https://www.businessinsider.com/role...et-2023-6?op=1

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 03:37 AM   #2
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Sounds about right. It's about time ADs officially got onto the pre owned gravy train and this gives them a distinct advantage albeit at an additional cost to the buyer. I expect they'll haggle.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 03:47 AM   #3
dgkula
"TRF" Member

Interesting - you can see the prices listed on the Tourneau web site under Rolex CPO
dgkula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 03:48 AM   #4
TheDogHouse
"TRF" Member

My local Tourneau was very proud about the program.
TheDogHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 04:34 AM   #5
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDogHouse View Post
My local Tourneau was very proud about the program.
They should be. They can officially participate in the secondary market price differential.

BUT, it would still leave a bad taste in my mouth that there is one cabinet with a used BLNR at $23K while the retail, new one, is sitting there at around $10K in the cabinet over there.....
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 04:39 AM   #6
Goatrope
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
The pre-owned pieces at my local AD were already 15% higher than most resellers, so not surprising here in Sarasota FL.
Old 27 June 2023, 04:45 AM   #7
Leox7899
"TRF" Member

I understand participating in the grey market, but selling a brand new model for around 10000 versus one that is used and at 3 years old which costs nearly twice as much is ridiculous in my mind.
Leox7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 04:49 AM   #8
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Now whenever somebody asks if it’s worth sending money to a complete stranger and what the cost is for PayPal fees, we can say hey go to Rolex preowned and that way you know for sure that you’re going to get the watch with authenticity, and also a warranty — or roll the dice to save a few points. And it could mean higher trade in values (assuming). This couldn’t have come at a better time. Plus, the forum gets to lose all of ‘1P2G’ members asking where to get a used watch and what a TS is.

*presses play on Cool & the Gang’s ‘Celebration’*
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 04:49 AM   #9
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Fresh service, paperwork, and piece of mind that the watch is legitimate. Personally, I wouldn't pay above MSRP to begin with but I'd say the added cost is worth it.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 04:56 AM   #10
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
They should be. They can officially participate in the secondary market price differential.

BUT, it would still leave a bad taste in my mouth that there is one cabinet with a used BLNR at $23K while the retail, new one, is sitting there at around $10K in the cabinet over there.....
WHAT?!? There is a new BLNR in the cabinet over there? Where? Let me know where I can find that cabinet!

Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 04:59 AM   #11
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
At some point buyers may say "enough".
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 05:03 AM   #12
gerry100
"TRF" Member

prices before any negotiation.

Too many think that looking and feeling a Rolex is somehow a privilege.
gerry100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 05:12 AM   #13
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
sounds about right
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 05:23 AM   #14
77T

Rolex certified pre-owned watches cost 25% more on average than those from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkula View Post
Interesting - you can see the prices listed on the Tourneau web site under Rolex CPO

Only 3 listed on that site:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 06:43 AM   #15
Know1isgod
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
Fresh service, paperwork, and piece of mind that the watch is legitimate. Personally, I wouldn't pay above MSRP to begin with but I'd say the added cost is worth it.
I kind of agree, but there are some pieces that you may be better off going grey. DSW is offering a 116900 Air King at $8,775 which is $3K cheaper than the CPO price. If I was in market, I would get the DSW piece and have it Rolex Serviced. Do that and the only thing missing is the CPO hang tag. I found a few pieces that you can do that with. Seems worth the extra savings.
Know1isgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 06:46 AM   #16
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Just say no.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 06:54 AM   #17
rolexgs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know1isgod View Post
I kind of agree, but there are some pieces that you may be better off going grey. DSW is offering a 116900 Air King at $8,775 which is $3K cheaper than the CPO price. If I was in market, I would get the DSW piece and have it Rolex Serviced. Do that and the only thing missing is the CPO hang tag. I found a few pieces that you can do that with. Seems worth the extra savings.
the most important thing is, can DSW guarantee that the watch you buy is not a stolen watch?
rolexgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 06:59 AM   #18
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

25% more than even the secondary market...

Peace of mind knowing you bought authentic??? Every time I looked at the watch all I would think about is how I just got fleeced and ridiculously ripped off just to get this trinket on my wrist and then I would remember it is a 3+ yr old watch to boot...

I am not even mad. Rolex ADs...If someone is that willing to give you their money have at it. I mean it is going to work so they know better than I.

DavidSW can guarantee some are not stolen. Definitely not all, but what he will do is refund your money if a stolen one does get sold. He is not going to lose his business or credibility over a stolen watch.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 07:00 AM   #19
Know1isgod
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgs View Post
the most important thing is, can DSW guarantee that the watch you buy is not a stolen watch?
Can't speak to his sourcing policy, but I have purchased two watches from him complete with box, papers and most importantly the extra links (he sized to my wrist in advance). The extra links gave me the peace of mind, but your point is well taken.
Know1isgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 07:09 AM   #20
watchluvr4ever
"TRF" Member

Do these certified preowned watches come with the “original” box, papers, hang tags, etc? If not then the certified preowned are actually worth less to me and I personally wouldn’t ever buy them. I know some people don’t care either way.
watchluvr4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 07:20 AM   #21
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
Quote:
This^^^^
Old 27 June 2023, 08:22 AM   #22
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

When Rolex decided to go this CPO route, was it their intention to have AD’s jack up prices over the new pieces? I thought it was to shut down the gray market sellers and have more control over the resale of their timepieces. I am very confused by this. I love the watches, but they are not meaningful enough for me to pay a multiple over msrp. Of course that means I wont be seeing any of them.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 08:26 AM   #23
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
I see an opportunity for the secondary dealers to bump their pricing, not many will pay 25% above market at an AD if you can get the same for thousands cheaper at a grey seller. Like the old days again.

Funny times
Old 27 June 2023, 08:36 AM   #24
train-time
"TRF" Member

Rolex certified pre-owned watches cost 25% more on average than those from...

Sounds about right!
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 08:40 AM   #25
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
At some point buyers may say "enough".
I think many have. 🍷
Paulie 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 08:44 AM   #26
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Now whenever somebody asks if it’s worth sending money to a complete stranger and what the cost is for PayPal fees, we can say hey go to Rolex preowned and that way you know for sure that you’re going to get the watch with authenticity, and also a warranty — or roll the dice to save a few points. And it could mean higher trade in values (assuming). This couldn’t have come at a better time. Plus, the forum gets to lose all of ‘1P2G’ members asking where to get a used watch and what a TS is.

*presses play on Cool & the Gang’s ‘Celebration’*
Good analysis.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 09:34 AM   #27
rockysw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree with you in general. But I think you get the peace of mind when buying from say watchfinder (they have a premium of their own). So in that manner, I am not sure I would be willing to pay even higher premiums for CPO (unless ofcourse, watchfinder also increase its premiums).
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 10:03 AM   #28
Pilotguy89
"TRF" Member

Ok I’ll pipe up. I bought a 14060 CPO from Tourneau/Bucherer late last month.
A few things to note:
I paid $11 and add three 0’s after.

It did not come with original box and papers and I don’t think any will come with them. It has the CPO case and a new service card/warranty

Why did I go this route? Because it is the closest to a new Rolex 14060 I can get.

This is a P serial 2000 and not a 14060m.

Going any older contingent on the model could be a bad idea. If you’re looking for the vintage charm, Rolex will remove it. My sub has a new service bracelet (2011) what appears to be a new bezel insert a new dial and hands (I think). So it is basically a new watch. Lume glows strongly, hands, dial and bezel pip are all even in brightness and color.

But for me, knowing it’s Rolex, certified, serviced and I don’t have to wait for the service and backed by Tourneau and able to source links direct from Rolex due to my massive wrist, I couldn’t be happier.

I did check a few 16710 Pepsi GMT’s and their bracelets had some diminished crispness to the crown on the clasp so not every bracelet will be NOS.
I see a lot of earlier 14060’a with luminova instead of tritium dials.

If anyone has any questions ask away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pilotguy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 11:15 AM   #29
rolexgs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockysw View Post
I agree with you in general. But I think you get the peace of mind when buying from say watchfinder (they have a premium of their own). So in that manner, I am not sure I would be willing to pay even higher premiums for CPO (unless ofcourse, watchfinder also increase its premiums).
if you want peace of mind, CPO is the only way to go.
rolexgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2023, 11:26 AM   #30
AC76
"TRF" Member

I assumed they will sent the watch to service they resell them, which meant they will update the dial and polish the watch? Would that be a bad thing for those who want to have a vintage look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AC76 is offline   Reply With Quote