The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 July 2009, 04:58 AM   #1
Zman86
"TRF" Member

Got my watch back allready...

Well, as some of you may remember, I had a problem with my 16800 a couple weeks ago, it started running backwards and then stopped completely. I took it back to my AD two weeks ago today and was told it would be a 6-8 week wait. I come home Sunday to a message on the answering machine that my watch was ready. Sweet. Turned out to be a broken mainspring, as a couple members here said it would be, the RSC also polished and re-brushed the bracelet and clasp, replaced all the gaskets, checked the entire movement and tested it for water proof-ness. Was given the watch back in a nice green and gold service box with a Rolex polishing cloth and some paperwork. I wasnt expecting any of that to be done, just that they would fix the problem, so I'm pleasantly suprised, although I had no intentions of ever having any of the scratches/dents removed. Oh well, get to start over fresh...

And while I was there, I tried on a new sub. They got a blue and a black two tone in last week. I tried on the black, the blue does absolutly nothing for me. That watch is a tank, the lugs are twice as wide as my 16800, and is noticably heavier. Cant say I care much for it as a whole, nor the $12,080 pricetag, but the new bracelet and clasp are amazing, I really wish I could put that bracelet and clasp on my watch, minus the gold. Also something else I've never seen before, a SS daytona was in the display case, along with a GV Milgauss and an LV sub, a Deepsea, both normal Milgausses, a last gen seadweller, and the new flower dial watches. Every Omega Speedmaster I've tried on there in the last year are still there, including various special editions...

Submariner 16800
Zman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2009, 05:28 AM   #2
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Glad to hear she's back to new
Old 28 July 2009, 05:34 AM   #3
sexner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 169622, 124060
Good to hear it's back from the Doctor and is ship shape.

Good feeling eh?
Old 28 July 2009, 06:12 AM   #4
Harvey58
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Sub Champ Serti
2 Weeks is not so bad, I have also heard 6-8 weeks and that seems like a lifetime to go without your watch. I am glad it came back so fast and in such good condition!!!

TT Sub Champ. Serti Dial "M"
SS Sub-C "G"
Harvey58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2009, 06:14 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Good to have it back all ready for use and abuse..

A 16800 is on my list of watches to get rescued and put in the rotation box..........
Old 28 July 2009, 06:18 AM   #6
Zman86
"TRF" Member

It was driving me crazy not having a watch on, I was going to take my timex in to have the battery replaced today cause I needed a watch.

I love my 16800, unfortunatly, it had its original matte dial and tritium hands replaced at sometime in its life. I've been seriously thinking about having the dial and hands changed for the proper ones, but I dont know whether I should or not...

Submariner 16800
Old 28 July 2009, 06:25 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman86 View Post
.............. I love my 16800, unfortunatly, it had its original matte dial and tritium hands replaced at sometime in its life. I've been seriously thinking about having the dial and hands changed for the proper ones, but I dont know whether I should or not...
Here's how I feel about that..

A Forum like TRF can drive you nuts trying to keep up with what is the best/most recent flavor of the month...or how a "proper" watch should be..

But, it just ain't so..........

Subs, or any watch, are continuously being re-fitted at Rolex to function as intended.... solid, non flaking hands and dials...perfect crystals, pristine bracelets, and on and on.....because that is what the majority want and what the Rolex philosophy is......... a functional enduring time-piece that will last for generations..

Then there is the collector/purist/WIS....nothing but original, period correct, dented dinged, and faded will do....but these birds are definitely not in the majority......not even here where only a handful of Rolex owners ever hang out..

Chang it as a hobbyist who just loves to tinker with toys, but not as a valuable requirement or a proper approach...

Old 28 July 2009, 06:31 AM   #8
Finley
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Glad to hear your watch was returned early and with everything fixed! I would love to see those flower dial watches.
Old 28 July 2009, 06:39 AM   #9
Zman86
"TRF" Member

This watch will be with me the rest of my life, so any value increase/decrease with a dial change does not matter to me at all, I just much prefer the look of a matte dial. Whether I want to spend the $1000+ buying the dial/hands and having them installed, and losing my lume to boot.... Tough decisions....

The flower dials are interesting...

Submariner 16800
Old 28 July 2009, 06:52 AM   #10
SDDS
"TRF" Member

thats good news
Rolex Oysterquartz 17000 N series
Rolex OP 41MM 124300 Green Dial
SDDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2009, 07:10 AM   #11
sunburst
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Here's how I feel about that..

A Forum like TRF can drive you nuts trying to keep up with what is the best/most recent flavor of the month...or how a "proper" watch should be..

But, it just ain't so..........

Subs, or any watch, are continuously being re-fitted at Rolex to function as intended.... solid, non flaking hands and dials...perfect crystals, pristine bracelets, and on and on.....because that is what the majority want and what the Rolex philosophy is......... a functional enduring time-piece that will last for generations..

Then there is the collector/purist/WIS....nothing but original, period correct, dented dinged, and faded will do....but these birds are definitely not in the majority......not even here where only a handful of Rolex owners ever hang out..

Chang it as a hobbyist who just loves to tinker with toys, but not as a valuable requirement or a proper approach...

Excellent comment.
I also have 16800 that was purchased by my father from AD in '84 but the tritium hands & dial was replaced during RSC service in '99. Sad that it happened as it would have been one of the last matte dialed 16800's but I'm happy that I have still nice looking 16800.
Sinn 356 Flieger II, Sinn 556, Sinn ST-140
Marathon SAR, Marathon GSAR
sunburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2009, 08:13 AM   #12
oneillba
"TRF" Member

Watch: My beloved TT DJ
Don't you just love it when you're pleasantly surprised?

My Trusty TT DJ
oneillba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2009, 08:33 AM   #13
Gerry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z Series 16613
Glad to know it's back safe and sound!
Old 28 July 2009, 10:38 AM   #14
swsc
"TRF" Member

good to hear
swsc is offline   Reply With Quote