The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 August 2023, 12:11 PM   #1
Hankman
"TRF" Member

Unique AD practice in Japan ?

When buying a new Rolex from an AD in Japan they do not give you the hang tag with your purchase. It's proudly displayed when the watch is presented to you (for showing the price) then "confiscated" after making the purchase. I was told they have to send it back to the head office. In addition, they also will not give you the white sleeve which protects the Rolex box. Opposite from my US purchase experience. I'm just curious if any other markets do this or have other unique rules when buying a Rolex?
Hankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2023, 12:19 PM   #2
watchfreak207
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing You
yeah, I bought a used Rolex that was from JPN, it didn't come with the hang tag.
watchfreak207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2023, 02:29 PM   #3
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Correct, and not only in Japan. Some ADs keep it for inventory, other don't. That's what i've heard and experienced.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2023, 02:35 PM   #4
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
The outer white box sleeve is also normally withheld. Point-of-sale presentation is very important in Japan, even small inexpensive items will be nicely wrapped. For luxury items, it can be almost ceremonial in procedure. Grand Seiko outer sleeves have printing on them telling the sales person to remove before sale, though you can still ask for it, I guess, as you see them with used watches sometimes.
Old 4 August 2023, 03:26 PM   #5
lightcatcher
"TRF" Member

Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankman View Post
When buying a new Rolex from an AD in Japan they do not give you the hang tag with your purchase. It's proudly displayed when the watch is presented to you (for showing the price) then "confiscated" after making the purchase. I was told they have to send it back to the head office. In addition, they also will not give you the white sleeve which protects the Rolex box. Opposite from my US purchase experience. I'm just curious if any other markets do this or have other unique rules when buying a Rolex?
Same practice in India. got my BLNR, new from an AD in March and this is exactly what they did. They didn’t even let me leave the protective film on the clasp :)
lightcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2023, 03:30 PM   #6
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Same here, quite common everywhere
Old 4 August 2023, 03:33 PM   #7
squall1
"TRF" Member

Neither are provided at the Taiwan AD I've worked with.
squall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2023, 04:59 PM   #8
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Depends on the dealer and sometimes the SA. If you are referring to the white tag, it's not supposed to be supplied with the watch but often is. The green tag should accompany the watch.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2023, 05:30 PM   #9
wm82
"TRF" Member

Seems to vary, it's not an official decree from Rolex in Geneva but some of their affiliates have their own "rules". Very silly imo.
wm82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2023, 05:33 PM   #10
Hankman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Depends on the dealer and sometimes the SA. If you are referring to the white tag, it's not supposed to be supplied with the watch but often is. The green tag should accompany the watch.
Yes, I'm referring to the white tag with the price and model number (dial number). In Japan they give you the green tag. They also have to return all the stickers to the Japan HQ as well. However they did this in the US as well so probably not a Japan "rule".
Hankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2023, 06:01 PM   #11
watchfreak207
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing You
My other experience was purchasing a SS YM in Bangkok. The AD kept the bezel protector , said they have to return it to HQ with the sticker protectors. But the white tag was given to me. That was the 1st time where I came across bezel protectors wasn't given.
watchfreak207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2023, 06:18 PM   #12
mattidk
"TRF" Member

Neither in europe gives the white tag, only the green rolex hangtag. and neither the whitesleeve for the outer box as well, i believe it is policy from RL HQ to recommend AD to ensure people to avoid resell their watches with fullset.
mattidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2023, 06:19 PM   #13
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
The outer white box sleeve is also normally withheld. Point-of-sale presentation is very important in Japan, even small inexpensive items will be nicely wrapped. For luxury items, it can be almost ceremonial in procedure. Grand Seiko outer sleeves have printing on them telling the sales person to remove before sale, though you can still ask for it, I guess, as you see them with used watches sometimes.
This^

And thank them for doing so
Old 4 August 2023, 07:06 PM   #14
AnakChan
"TRF" Member

Tokyo AD posted my serial card to me a month after purchase. (I was living in Japan then).
AnakChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2023, 10:40 PM   #15
skipstar
"TRF" Member

Watch: My first, Sub Date
I use 2 A/D’s here in the US. 1 gives me everything including the white tag and the other gives me everything except the white tag.
Old 4 August 2023, 11:38 PM   #16
puma1552
"TRF" Member

FWIW as a data point, I got the white tag and the outer sleeve here in the US last week; the AD had already removed some of the stickers that would be in the way of viewing the watch during initial presentation when first opening the box (top of bracelet, side of case I believe), but a couple other stickers were still on it when I took it out (clasp and one other, don't remember which). I took one of the stickers off and stuck it on the white styrofoam, which I still have, and then the AD removed the other sticker when they sized it and presumably tossed it. I didn't get the bezel protector or coffin, but I didn't ask for them either and the bezel protector was presumably removed for the same reason as some of the stickers - for initial presentation reasons.

I don't care about the stickers/coffin/bezel protector, but would not really like not getting the white tag or white outer sleeve, especially since I now have those items for one watch...would like to be consistent. However if I lived somewhere where policy was to not give X/Y/Z then I would be ok as long as it was consistently enforced.

Seems odd to me that a country like Japan, where presentation really is everything, would be one country where you don't get the outer sleeve.
puma1552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2023, 11:52 PM   #17
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
Of the 3 ADs I have used in Australia, one of them keeps the hang tag as well. The others do not. I do find it strange. If you were to resell a watch, Surry the hang tag would make almost no difference to a buyer.

I’m not bothered by it though, they can keep all the tanks they want as long as I get the pieces I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2023, 01:56 AM   #18
mrlube1151001
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41 TT sub
All A.D does different things.some will give the hangtags some don’t.some give you the bezel protector some don’t.Some give gifts some don’t.There is no standard procedure
mrlube1151001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2023, 02:22 AM   #19
rolexjc
"TRF" Member

In México they break the white hang tag and take a picture with the stickers
rolexjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2023, 04:50 AM   #20
AnthonyMX
"TRF" Member

When I purchased my Explorer I just recently, the AD said it's a new Rolex new policy to keep the white tags, as we as to remove the stickers.
AnthonyMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2023, 04:52 AM   #21
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
My new watch just arrived, white tag and bezel protector in the box.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2023, 05:49 AM   #22
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I always liked the outer sleeve. Keeps the box together. The box looks somewhat naked without it. Actually, the box looks better in it.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2023, 06:28 AM   #23
Normunds
"TRF" Member

I really feel your pain of not getting imaginary full set stuff. For the future - someone should ask for a shipping box watch came to a dealer. That would make your experience whole.
Normunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2023, 08:42 AM   #24
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

Unique AD practice in Japan ?

I’ve never had the white hangtag our outer box sleeve withheld.

The white hangtag (and receipt, if descriptive) are your only way of proving the original dial that came with your watch.

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2023, 08:53 AM   #25
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
My US based AD always withholds the outer white box sleeve but always includes the white hang tag.

I want the white hangtag (especially if it’s a rare dial like a meteorite) but could not care less about the outer sleeve.

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2023, 09:03 AM   #26
noshame
"TRF" Member

Every AD is different. Four purchases from three AD's in Canada. Only 1 gave me the white tag and white cardboard sleeve (same AD) you are referring to. The other two AD's did not. In the end, I was appreciative to be allocated the watch!
Old 5 August 2023, 09:58 AM   #27
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMX View Post
When I purchased my Explorer I just recently, the AD said it's a new Rolex new policy to keep the white tags, as we as to remove the stickers.

"My AD said..."

Old 5 August 2023, 12:09 PM   #28
stark1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/ALS/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcatcher View Post
Same practice in India. got my BLNR, new from an AD in March and this is exactly what they did. They didn’t even let me leave the protective film on the clasp :)
I've heard from my AD that the only sticker Rolex allows them to leave on is the small round one on the caseback, for the reason that the customer might want to keep that surface untouched for engraving purposes. He's a very straight forward guy, so I'm pretty sure that's right.
stark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2023, 12:19 PM   #29
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
It’s A D dependent.

Don’t believe for a second it’s “Rolex policy”. At not least in America.

When my A D calls, and I say “when” rarely lol I get to keep everything. And it’s been this way on 10 or so over the years. Same A D for 11 years. The only thing they’ve ever changed is the stickers. Used to get to keep those too

And I’m funny about my collection. I want every watch to have EVERYTHING.

Both tags and the sleeve as well. On all of mine I write down the model number and warranty card date on the white sleeve so I know what box belongs to what watch…
Old 6 August 2023, 01:56 AM   #30
gt0279a
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I have bought from two Japanese ADs. Both came with all stickers with white hangtags and no outer cardboard sleeves.

I was most impressed with Jackroads packaging and purchase experience as most Japanese retailers excel in this regard.
Rolex Sea Dweller 126600 | Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 | Rolex Sea Dweller 16600 | Rolex Submariner 16610 | Rolex Submariner 1680
gt0279a is offline   Reply With Quote