The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 20 September 2023, 10:06 AM   #1
MelADC
"TRF" Member

Max Bill - gold options?

I really like my Max Bill quartz. It is 38mm diameter, 8mm width, pretty short lugs, and has a mineral crystal.

I am on the hunt for something similar but solid gold. Junghans doesn’t seem to make anything like that except for some vintage models that are 34mm or so, which is too small for me.

I want something with a date function but not a grand date.

VC has a very similar proportioned Traditionelle but the lugs are too long. I’ve tried it on and it doesn’t feel the same.

On paper it looks like Patek might have some older models that fit the bill. Ideally I would like something that flies more under the radar.

What else should I be looking at? Any suggestions very welcome! Vintage and/or quartz and/or mineral crystal are all ok.
MelADC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2023, 10:35 AM   #2
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
Basic Patek is very under the radar unless a WIS is REALLY close, like close enough to read the name on the dial. I have never heard of anyone getting a compliment on a Calatrava out in the wild.
Even a vintage Patek or VC is going to cost quite a bit more than a Max Bill.
But if you want a quartz and like the Max Bill why not just buy their PVD Gold one??
I doubt you will find a Patek Quartz 38 mm or near, I can't think of one, there were a couple YG in 36 mm years ago

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2023, 09:20 PM   #3
MelADC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchTimes View Post
Basic Patek is very under the radar unless a WIS is REALLY close, like close enough to read the name on the dial. I have never heard of anyone getting a compliment on a Calatrava out in the wild.
Even a vintage Patek or VC is going to cost quite a bit more than a Max Bill.
But if you want a quartz and like the Max Bill why not just buy their PVD Gold one??
I doubt you will find a Patek Quartz 38 mm or near, I can't think of one, there were a couple YG in 36 mm years ago
Thank you for the reply. Price is certainly a consideration, but more so in the sense that ideally I wouldn’t spend this kind of money without seeing the watch in person. That makes it a little bit of a hunt since my local used watch dealers don’t seem to get too many of these watches. Patek actually comes up the most frequently, so I’ll check it out. Guess I’ll just have to keep looking!
MelADC is offline   Reply With Quote