The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 October 2023, 04:43 AM   #31
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
The root beer is not hard to get at retail
Compared with amy steel
GMT, any steel sub. It can be had amd
I feel the multi year thing is BS. Does this look like a multi year wait to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2023, 05:20 AM   #32
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
That was exactly my read as well. I would buy the watch via grey market then go visit them and request he take his name off the waiting list. That is cold hard retail sales reality.

My local AD is always stunned when I wear my white SS Daytona in to chat. My silent message to my AD is “I don’t need you”.

I would take this advice.

Currently, I do not see a big premium on the watch you want.

Some asking prices seem to indicate there is a big premium. But asking price is not selling price. Be patient a little longer. I feel prices will continue to fall, and so do some dealers I speak with. I bought a watch Thursday. Both I and the independent dealer acknowledged and discussed that he thinks prices will keep heading down. I made the purchase. But I may have been able to wait and get a better deal. You might be able to get a TT root beer at 18 now. That virtually equals RRP plus 10%tax. Wait a bit and it may get lower.

Just another WIS who loves to trade.
IG @bladeandwatch1
Old 9 October 2023, 05:45 AM   #33
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
I would try reaching out to multiple ADs. When the AD I had a 25+"year lost rolex. I restarted with the closest AD in Dec 2021. After a 150k spend history (many PM pieces and jewelry) I've not gotten a single piece on my wish list (after voicing my concerns of never getting anything desired in a steel sports model they offered a Starbucks after 18 months).

Fortunately right around the time I got the Starbucks a sales person who used to work at my previous AD reached out that he knew of me and wanted to see if I was willing to give his new location a try. After 1 month I obtained 2 steel sports models.

Long story short cast a wide net and be patient. Unfortunately I believe rolex will eventually squeeze out all the small mom and pops that you would be able to work out a reasonable give and take relationship.
4reRlxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2023, 06:24 AM   #34
IGY
"TRF" Member

Sounds like they sold you what they wanted to pass on. Not what you wanted. I would have been polite, but they would not have gotten away with that from me. I'd just stay on their "one day over the rainbow" list, simultaneously work with another AD for the root beer and also third look at the wider world of GMT / dual time zone / world time zone watches from other manufacturers.

Here is just a few suggestions of other very interesting alternatives:

1. Sporty and water proof GMT: Grand Seiko Evo 9 GMT. Or Vacheron Constantin Overseas Dual Time.

2. Travel time / more dressy: Patek Pilot Travel Time, or H Moser Heritage Dual Time.

3. World time: Chopard LUC Time Traveller One.

As much as I love Rolex, there are a world of other fantastic watches out there and it pays to broaden your horizons if you get messed around.
IGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2023, 10:06 AM   #35
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindo2510 View Post
Contacted the AD 3months ago. They were nice and said they were making progress for my grail, Root beer.

Offered me a TT DJ41 Diamond Fluted-Oyster. I passed.

Offered me a DJ41 - Fluted-Dark Rhodium-Oyster. I accepted.

I was very excited and I thought we were establishing a good relationship since I own a local business 5mins from them.

Do you guys think because they are ADs so they want to sell you jewelries more than Rolexes?

Honestly why bother at this point? They literally have them in the back - just not for you.

With a bit of haggling / negotiation you'll get a CHNR not much over retail these days, delivered next day...

Don't debase yourself for the only AD....
messikens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2023, 11:01 AM   #36
Fahoo Forays
Banned

Watch: 16264
"... I would expect a multi-year wait... but this makes it all the more satisfying..."

lolololololol
Fahoo Forays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2023, 11:09 AM   #37
dubins930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahoo Forays View Post
"... I would expect a multi-year wait... but this makes it all the more satisfying..."

lolololololol
Rolex is a joke right now
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2023, 12:27 PM   #38
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Jump in and delete some messages please… your inbox is full.

Just another WIS who loves to trade.
IG @bladeandwatch1
Old 9 October 2023, 12:29 PM   #39
kevindo2510
"TRF" Member

Oops. I just did. Sorry new to the forum didnt know there’s an inbox limit

kevindo2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2023, 02:35 PM   #40
VegasBoy
"TRF" Member

Sadly, I know that AD and they jerked me around for a while. They were nice at first then the SA over Rolex was to busy, on the phone, in a meeting etc. I live out of town and am there for work every couple of weeks. My feeling is they want to sell you a bunch of other stuff or maybe its because I am not a local. It is Idaho after all and I don't think they are allocated a ton of watches anyway. I have given up on them.

I have gone grey with a few watches. I know I am paying a little more but I get the watch I want in 24 hours or less. GOOD LUCK!
VegasBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2023, 03:03 PM   #41
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Two reasons you got that response from your SA:

1. They are new, don’t know how long things really take, and want to bullshit you and say everything takes “multi years”.

2. They’ve been around, know how long things take, but think you don’t. So they want to bullshit you and say it takes “multi years”.

Either way, I wouldn’t call them on their bullshit. It’s not going to help your chances by doing so. Just say wow, I’ll be stoked if it comes in early then. Then check in every once in awhile. Don’t buy anything else. Just check in. Eventually when one comes by and the other people they call first decline, then you might get the call because they want to sell the piece. Or just go grey.
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2023, 03:21 PM   #42
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
I know what I would say, however I would be banned in a nano second.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2023, 03:35 PM   #43
kevindo2510
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
Two reasons you got that response from your SA:

1. They are new, don’t know how long things really take, and want to bullshit you and say everything takes “multi years”.

2. They’ve been around, know how long things take, but think you don’t. So they want to bullshit you and say it takes “multi years”.

Either way, I wouldn’t call them on their bullshit. It’s not going to help your chances by doing so. Just say wow, I’ll be stoked if it comes in early then. Then check in every once in awhile. Don’t buy anything else. Just check in. Eventually when one comes by and the other people they call first decline, then you might get the call because they want to sell the piece. Or just go grey.

Imma go grey for now since this AD is probably too busy selling jewelry than rolexes. I will still keep in touch with them tho. As a local business owner I know its best to keep the relationship. Who knows they might pull through in the next few months or years lmao

Old 9 October 2023, 03:37 PM   #44
kevindo2510
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBoy View Post
Sadly, I know that AD and they jerked me around for a while. They were nice at first then the SA over Rolex was to busy, on the phone, in a meeting etc. I live out of town and am there for work every couple of weeks. My feeling is they want to sell you a bunch of other stuff or maybe its because I am not a local. It is Idaho after all and I don't think they are allocated a ton of watches anyway. I have given up on them.

I have gone grey with a few watches. I know I am paying a little more but I get the watch I want in 24 hours or less. GOOD LUCK!

Hi. Good to know you’re in town regularly. I moved from Houston TX so I havent got the grip of small town limit availability yet. They might not have too many coming in but they gotta have some. I own a nail salon close to the dealer if you want to stop by and relax at our spa and discuss watch I would love to give you a discount for my fellow rolex collectors pm me

Old 9 October 2023, 05:06 PM   #45
RaidenF8
"TRF" Member

Not sure why so many people suggest to go grey. Unless grey is the same price or cheaper, going grey just worsens the problem for everyone. If you are paying more for a new watch on the grey market, that means that someone is getting paid because they had the opportunity to buy the watch they didn't want, and they wanted to make some money at your cost. Out of principle, I refuse to pay those people, cuz that's jut not cool. I hope others would do the same.
RaidenF8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2023, 09:05 PM   #46
77T

Got this email from only AD in my state. Is this normal response? just got a DJ41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindo2510 View Post
They gave me a DJ41 Dark Rhodium - Fluted - Steel which doesn’t generate much premium but I can breakeven and move on with a Rootbeer in grey since premium is about 25-30%
Welcome to the forum.

This is probably a fair assessment business-wise from your vantage point. The message from your AD also makes sense from their vantage point.

Like you, they are in business and plain talk is the best between two businesses.

Haven’t read all the replies, but if you aren’t happy with the AD then move on. I think they set your expectations reasonably.

Try one of the TRF boutique sellers, you will be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote