The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 8 September 2016, 07:11 AM   #1
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
AP ROO and Water

Pretty funny story. Always thought the AP ROO was a great water watch. Went to ABC watchwerks were i was having some families watches worked on. They were nice enough to let me bring my collection in. To get them pressure tested as i like to go in the pool with my watches if i have them on.

Moral of the story is after pressure testing them all (All of them passing). He told me that he wouldn't recommend going into the water with my ROO as the pushers are not locked down. So if i happen to press the chrono pushers as i was swimming it would let water into the watch.

I understand going into the pool once and a while with the watch probably nothing will happen as long as your aware but does anyone use there ROO for water recreation often.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 08:11 AM   #2
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
They must have changed that design for the diver chronos right!? Again, but cause anyone would necessarily be counting on that but it's called a dive watch right? Meant to live under water.

Anyway, just one more reason why I moved away from AP. Amazing watches with unparalleled beauty but simply fragile in comparison to a Rolex.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 08:36 AM   #3
PJ S
Banned

They’re wrong, Brandon.
When I was speaking with APSC London a number of weeks back, I mentioned the new Diver Chronos, and concern for the pushers as they weren’t lockable.
I was informed that they will be fine at shallow depths, as the pressure wouldn’t be enough to overcome the seals.
Obviously they’re not going to be fully functional at max depth, like the Blancpain FF Chrono is, but for anything up to probably 5m, you shouldn’t need to get out of the water and change your budgie smugglers if you’ve pressed one of the pushers.

On PuristSPro, one 5990 owner decided to test the pushers in the pool (probably no more than 2-3m deep), as he was fed up waiting on Patek’s reply to the question.
Turns out that the watch was perfectly adept at handling that pressure level – so I’d be inclined to think the ROOs have been designed to be as equally capable as the Nautilus.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 09:26 AM   #4
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
I've worn mine in the pool and spa many times and never had an issue. Don't think I've ever activated the chrono underwater but I've never really had a need to.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 09:38 AM   #5
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Anyway, just one more reason why I moved away from AP. Amazing watches with unparalleled beauty but simply fragile in comparison to a Rolex.
Mine is the other way around.

My Rolex SD and DSSD look far more beat up than my AP FC Diver. The FC diver has been worn much more and looks new yet the DSSD is scratched, has a bezel that rotates in both directions and has a shattered lume dot on the bezel insert.

My wife wears her lady royal oak all day everyday with 2 young kids. She's dropped it, wacked it on tables, countertops, kids toys, etc. It has some dings and scratches but it still works perfectly for the 3+ years she's had it. Got my mom rolex datejust and it sees way less use but the polished center links are scratched to hell and it needed a full service after about 4 years because the power reserve was down to about 6 hours and the crown wasn't engaging properly.

I've been wearing APs daily for almost 4 years now and I don't find them fragile. The FC diver is probably the most durable watch I've ever owned. I did have some QC issues but those were quickly taken care of by APSC.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 10:16 AM   #6
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Mine is not a diver. My is the Royal oak offshore. Of course the diver is a true water watch but I'm talking about the rubber pusher on the 42mm ROO.

Old 8 September 2016, 11:17 AM   #7
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
They must have changed that design for the diver chronos right!? Again, but cause anyone would necessarily be counting on that but it's called a dive watch right? Meant to live under water.
Actually, no, the ROO Panda isn't called a dive watch. And activating chrono pushers underwater is not generally a good idea (for example, in the Rolex Daytona, which has same depth rating as a ROO and is also not a diver); generally speaking manufacturers advise against it (the Planet Ocean Chrono being a notable exception).

Quote:
Not in my experience. I've had two Rolexes fail and require trips to RSC, and I baby my watches. And I'm far from alone: in a survey posted here, fully 27% of Rolex owners reported having problems with their watches:
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=419887
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 11:54 AM   #8
lianghee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam, AP, Rolex
The ROOs except for Diver are rated at 100m for a reason. I do swim with my ROO. But definitely won't use the pushers on them under the water.

Technically I can't think of how to fully prevent water from slipping in when the pusher is being pressed under the water. I will probably ask AP out of curiosity when I drop by APSC to change new strap. Although I doubt they know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lianghee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2016, 12:00 PM   #9
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

But my main question even though most of us agree by using that pushers there could be water intrusion and because the pushers are a screw down system so they can be pushed accidentally. Do any of you use the ROO as a go too swimming watch. I'm sure I can go swimming with it. But I was under the impression before I found out that it could be my go to swimming watch. I guess not.

Old 8 September 2016, 01:23 PM   #10
improviz
"TRF" Member

Sure it can, but as with most chronos it's not advisable to operate the pushers under water. The Rolex Daytona has 100m water rating, same as the ROO, but they still tell you not to operate its pushers underwater, same as the ROO.

Not sure how you'd accidentally push a pusher in while swimming, but if it's a real concern you could use something else...I wouldn't worry about it personally.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
Old 8 September 2016, 02:38 PM   #11
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
Sure it can, but as with most chronos it's not advisable to operate the pushers under water. The Rolex Daytona has 100m water rating, same as the ROO, but they still tell you not to operate its pushers underwater, same as the ROO.

Not sure how you'd accidentally push a pusher in while swimming, but if it's a real concern you could use something else...I wouldn't worry about it personally.
I don't think that i would accidentally press them. I don't when I'm wearing it so I'm sure it wouldn't when I'm swimming. I just got a little nervous because the watch maker seem really concerned when i asked him to pressure test my ROO. He asked if i was planning on swimming with it.

Both Daytona and ROO have depth rating. The Daytona do have screw down pusher which make them even safer.

I may be thinking into this too much.

Old 8 September 2016, 02:50 PM   #12
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
I've worn mine in the pool and spa many times and never had an issue. Don't think I've ever activated the chrono underwater but I've never really had a need to.
x2

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2016, 01:03 AM   #13
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I think any ROO should be fine in water...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2016, 02:15 AM   #14
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
I think any ROO should be fine in water...
Should be and will be are unfortunately not the same thing. You don't want to get it wrong and have a flooded AP
masyv6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2016, 05:58 AM   #15
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masyv6 View Post
Should be and will be are unfortunately not the same thing. You don't want to get it wrong and have a flooded AP
It's rated to 100m. For swimming, this is a no-brainer. If in doubt, call APSC directly and ask them.
Old 9 September 2016, 05:59 AM   #16
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
It's rated to 100m. For swimming, this is a no-brainer. If in doubt, call APSC directly and ask them.

For swimming, of course. I was commenting around the OP's concern that the watch may flood if the pushers are pressed.

I don't disagree that a call to AP would be a fine solution
masyv6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2016, 06:06 AM   #17
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For swimming, of course. I was commenting around the OP's concern that the watch may flood if the pushers are pressed.

I don't disagree that a call to AP would be a fine solution
Ah, OK, gotcha...

Ya OP can just call them....I looked at their FAQ page in the service section just now and it said this:

Quote:
02Can I swim with my watch?

Yes, if your watch is water-resistant. We encourage you to test its water-resistance on a yearly basis at our repair centers or boutiques. This control is complimentary.
Also found a cool page on it from someone we all know:
http://www.watchcollectinglifestyle....shower-with-it

Despite this, I won't swim with my 15400, it's a bit too dressy for a pool imo....Diver, otoh, I've taken swimming many times, love it!
Old 9 September 2016, 10:00 AM   #18
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Quote:
That can be said about every watch. The ROO will be absolutely fine in the water period.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2016, 11:53 AM   #19
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
It's pretty common knowledge you should not use chrono pushers while a watch is submerged. As such, no chrono is a true diver in my book and I wouldn't swim with one sans screw down pushers.

One of the reasons I love the daytona design even though it's annoying for regular use to unscrew. I like to swim
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2016, 11:57 AM   #20
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
It's pretty common knowledge you should not use chrono pushers while a watch is submerged. As such, no chrono is a true diver in my book and I wouldn't swim with one sans screw down pushers.

One of the reasons I love the daytona design even though it's annoying for regular use to unscrew. I like to swim

I know some (if not all) of the Omega Seamaster chronographs can be used while underwater. I'm not sure if there are any others like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2023, 08:06 PM   #21
chuangyee
"TRF" Member

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but has the OP called APSC? Any official reply if the pushers can be depressed underwater? TIA
chuangyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2023, 05:40 AM   #22
vliberman
"TRF" Member

I use AP offshore surfing with no issues.... these watches are tough... timekeeping is a different story.....
vliberman is offline   Reply With Quote