The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 7 January 2024, 07:20 AM   #1
Noxa
"TRF" Member

Do you have any Breguet Marine 5817 wrist shots?

Looking to see if anyone has any Breguet Marine wrist shots on a 7 inch flat wrist, odd ask I know but can’t view in person and about to pull the trigger, haven’t been below 42mm ever so looking for opinions.
Noxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 08:09 AM   #2
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet marine
Had so many pics with all different angles but can’t find anywhere. Heres a few at least. I’m just under 7” wrist flat i love how it fits me and love it in general which explains why I have 4 of them.

Breguet 5547BB Marine Alarm, 7067 Tradition, 5817 Marine Black, Blue, Silver Patek Philippe 5134P Omega NTTD Seamaster Vacheron Constantin FiftySix Complete Calendar Glashutte Original PanomaticLunar Chopard Alpine Eagle
PhilLynott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 08:17 AM   #3
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Found a down the barrel one.

Breguet 5547BB Marine Alarm, 7067 Tradition, 5817 Marine Black, Blue, Silver Patek Philippe 5134P Omega NTTD Seamaster Vacheron Constantin FiftySix Complete Calendar Glashutte Original PanomaticLunar Chopard Alpine Eagle
Old 7 January 2024, 08:30 AM   #4
Noxa
"TRF" Member

Wow ask and you shall receive, I couldn’t ask for better than that, thank you. Very similar shape wrist so really very helpful.
Old 7 January 2024, 11:57 AM   #5
mammothjam
"TRF" Member

Get it! Received mine about a year ago and cannot say enough good things. It presents incredible value. Ask if the seller can also provide the croc strap. Lmk any questions.

mammothjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 09:53 PM   #6
Noxa
"TRF" Member

It’s always been on my radar, but something always came up and it got pushed to the side. I’ve never even seen a Breguet in person let alone handled one.

I guess anything you add good or bad would be helpful, I mean generally how is the build quality, weight etc, I know it’s a Breguet, it’s not going to be poor lol, but in comparison to other high end watches you’ve handled? It looks very substantial, that’s what I want coming from bigger watches, I like some heft.
Old 7 January 2024, 10:10 PM   #7
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Really love the details on this watch, great pics!
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2024, 11:03 PM   #8
Michael1968
Banned

Watch: UN,RolexTudor&more
One of my dream watches
Michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 03:01 AM   #9
mammothjam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxa View Post
It’s always been on my radar, but something always came up and it got pushed to the side. I’ve never even seen a Breguet in person let alone handled one.

I guess anything you add good or bad would be helpful, I mean generally how is the build quality, weight etc, I know it’s a Breguet, it’s not going to be poor lol, but in comparison to other high end watches you’ve handled? It looks very substantial, that’s what I want coming from bigger watches, I like some heft.
The build quality and finishing are fantastic. I have the RG and it definitely has some wrist presence, a little much for me to wear every day.

The rubber strap is also fantastically built, however I always wished it had a clasp more like the Aquanaut. The "tongue" hanging over is just a pet peeve of mine. I often change it out for a leather strap and will probably buy the Breguet croc strap.

Overall, I think the 5817 presents amazing value for the prices they are going for. You can have a watch (arguably) better finished than a PP aquanaut for less than half the price.

I would also consider the Breguet Tradition for the same reasons.
Old 8 January 2024, 03:03 AM   #10
mammothjam
"TRF" Member

I'd also add that the lugs are BIG on the watch, so it wears larger than 39mm. If you like a watch with heft (assuming you don't mean >44mm) I would be very surprised if it didn't satisfy you.

I have a 42mm Omega and they have similar "presence" on my wrist. And look at the pics Phil provided - it really is a stunning and unique watch!
Old 8 January 2024, 04:37 AM   #11
Noxa
"TRF" Member

Perfect, thank you for your comments, all opinions are helpful when you’re buying blind so to speak. You’d think the 6 years of looking at pictures and reviews is would be enough! Pretty convinced to pull the trigger on it.

Does anyone know if there were any changes over the years? The model I’m looking at is a 2018 if that matters.
Old 8 January 2024, 10:03 AM   #12
Cayenne06
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: VC Overseas DT
IMG_2024-01-07-190248.jpeg

7 1/8” flat wrist:
Cayenne06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2024, 10:57 AM   #13
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Worldtimer
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilLynott View Post
Had so many pics with all different angles but can’t find anywhere. Heres a few at least. I’m just under 7” wrist flat i love how it fits me and love it in general which explains why I have 4 of them.

I just love these. Cheers
Old 8 January 2024, 09:59 PM   #14
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I was always concerned about the lug profile on these, looks like a huge l2l but never tried one irl
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2024, 12:20 AM   #15
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothjam View Post
The build quality and finishing are fantastic. I have the RG and it definitely has some wrist presence, a little much for me to wear every day.

The rubber strap is also fantastically built, however I always wished it had a clasp more like the Aquanaut. The "tongue" hanging over is just a pet peeve of mine. I often change it out for a leather strap and will probably buy the Breguet croc strap.

Overall, I think the 5817 presents amazing value for the prices they are going for. You can have a watch (arguably) better finished than a PP aquanaut for less than half the price.

I would also consider the Breguet Tradition for the same reasons.
There are two sized rubber straps one is longer and definitely hangs over to the other size in a kind of awful way. The other is shorter and fits beautifully tucks in perfectly on the underside of the wrist with zero hanging over. I can show the difference a little later on when home.

Two of mine came with the shorter one two came with the longer one and it definitely makes a difference wearing. I've tried a few times to order more of the smaller ones (including reminding the guy I bought my RG version from 3x before finally giving up) and really should try again. Amazing how sometimes you have to be an enormous pest to just get something like an extra strap from a dealer you purchased a 5 figure item from.
Old 10 January 2024, 06:16 AM   #16
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

great watch, i highly recommend it. here are some shots of my black dial 5817st.

i have about a 7 inch wrist, pretty flat, so decent comparison.

as to the lugs, i would say they add some wrist presence, but overall its not a big watch. id say it wears similarly to my steel daytona, but smaller than my BLRO. the daytona dial + bezel might be slightly bigger than the marine, but the 5817 lugs add a bit of size if that makes sense...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BM2.jpg (67.3 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg BM1.jpg (58.3 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg BM3.jpg (77.3 KB, 129 views)
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 06:38 AM   #17
dpj17
2024 Pledge Member

5817 Is highly underrated imho. Probably the best, most versatile Marine ever made. Perfect for a 7" wrist.
Old 10 January 2024, 06:41 AM   #18
Michael1968
Banned

Watch: UN,RolexTudor&more
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
great watch, i highly recommend it. here are some shots of my black dial 5817st.

i have about a 7 inch wrist, pretty flat, so decent comparison.

as to the lugs, i would say they add some wrist presence, but overall its not a big watch. id say it wears similarly to my steel daytona, but smaller than my BLRO. the daytona dial + bezel might be slightly bigger than the marine, but the 5817 lugs add a bit of size if that makes sense...
This black dial Breguet with rubber strap looks fantastic
Michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 12:54 PM   #19
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1968 View Post
This black dial Breguet with rubber strap looks fantastic
Thanks. Yeah, really dresses up or down. And my pics are lousy, would look better if I was outside
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2024, 06:01 PM   #20
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
Top watch - I sold an Aquanaut and got this instead 4 years ago…. No regrets. Wears beautifully and the long lugs give it the presence desired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2024, 12:41 AM   #21
PhilLynott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansharma View Post
Top watch - I sold an Aquanaut and got this instead 4 years ago…. No regrets. Wears beautifully and the long lugs give it the presence desired.

The Aquanaut is always my first comp when talking to people about the 5817. I actually love the Aquanaut but can't fathom paying many multiples of the 5817 for one. You could buy both gold versions and all 3 stainless steel versions of the 5817 and still have enough left over to grab a calatrava for the same price of one RG Aquanaut.

Again I love the aquanaut and not trying to talk disparagingly about it just think the Breguet is better in almost every way maybe short of no hacking seconds which you get over very quickly. In fact over time I've grown to like the no hacking because this watch isn't about to the second timing it's art on your wrist. If I want to the second timekeeping I'll toss on a newer Omega I kind of like just winding it up and setting the time within in a minute or so and going about my day.
Old 11 January 2024, 05:14 AM   #22
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilLynott View Post
The Aquanaut is always my first comp when talking to people about the 5817. I actually love the Aquanaut but can't fathom paying many multiples of the 5817 for one. You could buy both gold versions and all 3 stainless steel versions of the 5817 and still have enough left over to grab a calatrava for the same price of one RG Aquanaut.

Again I love the aquanaut and not trying to talk disparagingly about it just think the Breguet is better in almost every way maybe short of no hacking seconds which you get over very quickly. In fact over time I've grown to like the no hacking because this watch isn't about to the second timing it's art on your wrist. If I want to the second timekeeping I'll toss on a newer Omega I kind of like just winding it up and setting the time within in a minute or so and going about my day.

Could not agree more with this post. The RG Aquanaut is however beautiful especially with the chocolate brown dial. I just never grew to love the SS Aquanaut but the Breguet on the hand still continues to wow me. Your collection of the marine is incredible- biggest advocate of it!

ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote