The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 14 January 2024, 08:16 AM   #91
mmbiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Your brief means nothing to those that have developed a decent relationship with AD and getting allocation.

Just saying, get on the band wagon or move on to another brand. Rolex simply will not care when demand continue to be high and I personal dont want everyone out their wearing a rolex... That will push me to PP which is even harder to get a hand on...
Old 14 January 2024, 08:25 AM   #92
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Rolex has it exactly backward IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Disney should have stayed out of politics, or at least political hotbed issues. Crucial mistake, and why many have boycotted them.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. That’s a huge factor.

Comparing Disney to Rolex is probably germane to this thread.

Rolex is among the best managed companies. Disney is among the worst managed companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 January 2024, 08:26 AM   #93
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbiker View Post
Your brief means nothing to those that have developed a decent relationship with AD and getting allocation.

Just saying, get on the band wagon or move on to another brand. Rolex simply will not care when demand continue to be high and I personal dont want everyone out their wearing a rolex... That will push me to PP which is even harder to get a hand on...
More than 70% of the world's population can't afford an iPhone, let alone a Rolex, so you don't need to worry about everyone else out there flourishing as you have.
Old 14 January 2024, 08:40 AM   #94
mmbiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
More than 70% of the world's population can't afford an iPhone, let alone a Rolex, so you don't need to worry about everyone else out there flourishing as you have.
Ok good!

The rolex AD I used to buy watches from also sell PP. He basically told me, in the nicest way possible, that I can't afford it lol...
Old 14 January 2024, 08:52 AM   #95
learningtofly
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hmmm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patekfinder View Post
I have spent six figures many times over on watches, namely with my Patek Philippe AD. If I walked in, and did NOT get what I wanted, I would not go back and they’d be dead to me that same day after the fortune I’ve spent.

With Rolex, it is similar but a hell of a lot better and the barrier for entry is a damn Datrjust 36 two tone or ladies 31mm? Please. Pay up, buy your wife a watch, and then get what you want.

Rolex is no where near as bad as other brands. Barrier of entry for a simple three hand Chronometre Bleu from FP Journe is $1 million… to get a $40k watch.

I, for one, APPRECIATE the direction Rolex has taken. In the early 2000s I divested myself from my large Rolex collection and sold all my pieces, at slight losses, because I detested the reputation of what Rolex had become: The watch if choice for a used car salesman. I associated Rolex for many decades as the douchey watch worn by the asshole driving a BMW 325 with a 96 month loan as a symbol that he “made it.” Rolex was by any account the watch of success as defined by the national American mediocrity, and it was a massive turn off. I then pivoted to a brand I more identified with, which was Patek Philippe. Only recently did I come back to Rolex after they have recovered their brand identity and used car salesman can no longer access their watches and are relegated to their five digit Subs that they bought at discount during the dark days of Rolex’s image when it was at the deepest depths not of the Marianas Trench, but the gutter of a Midwest city of a place like Cleveland.

Welcome back Rolex.
What a totally offensive post.
Old 14 January 2024, 08:53 AM   #96
Pacamack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
Glad I wasn’t the only one thinking that!
Old 14 January 2024, 09:06 AM   #97
emersm

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
I have spent six figures many times over on watches, namely with my Patek Philippe AD.

Only recently did I come back to Rolex after they have recovered their brand identity and used car salesman can no longer access their watches and are relegated to their five digit Subs that they bought at discount during the dark days of Rolex’s image when it was at the deepest depths not of the Marianas Trench, but the gutter of a Midwest city of a place like Cleveland.
Hundreds of thousands of dollars and you can't pony up $30 to be a pledge member, LOL
Old 14 January 2024, 09:21 AM   #98
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I think we’re confusing Rolex with Disney.

Rolex sells every watch they make and demand far exceeds supply. Rolex is more popular than ever.

Disney, on the other hand, lost close to a billion dollars on the last ten movies they released.

Im glad Disney lost money. I hope they go broke. A
bunch of leftists.

"No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"-Oscar Wilde

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
Old 14 January 2024, 09:22 AM   #99
Patekfinder
Banned

Quote:

Found the car salesman.

Old 14 January 2024, 09:26 AM   #100
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze View Post
I may get flamed for this - but its how I feel.
This whole idea of manufactured scarcity (when they build 1 million pieces a year) and having to kiss ass at an AD to hope they sell you something, plays into the lowest base instincts of humanity, and preys upon those who crave validation through luxury brand pea cocking. This is not a luxury experience, nor is it befitting a company who founders and mission seemed to be to create some of the best most reliable timepieces, never the most expensive or the most luxurious or exclusive....these are/were tool watches for chrissakes. I have a 1967 Explorer that was bought in a PX by a chaplain for under $200 who went to 'nam with it....I love the story and I love the watch.

The natural evolution of this brand was increasing quality and increasing prices, and a status symbol effect came about with relentless marketing. Rather than keep the masses out in the cold, peering into the warmth of an AD hoping for crumbs, why not change the experience.

How nice would it be if say someone has $10-$30k to spend that they go to an AD, be greeted warmly, given a bourbon or espresso, take the time to show pieces, graciously take the customers money, special gift wrapping, a nice handwritten thank you note - elevate the experience.

Buying these watches now seems seedy, like buying crack or paying a 2 bit hooker in a back alley.....you get a call, drop what you are doing, agree to maybe a watch you want or not want in haste, or these great gray dealers, no disrespect, but its all email and fedex there is no experience that goes along wih and should be part of the pleasure of the purchase.

These are not scarce or limited edition pieces...Tudors are made en masse by robots. A check of Chronos24 shows like 6800 Rolex subs vs maybe 100 ALS Saxonia ( i can recehck for accuracy but just take the point)

I think Rolex risks becoming a caricature of itself.

I have long been a fan or Rolex.
When I was a young man and didnt think I deserved one there was a time when I was afraid to go into an AD. Like a kid afraid to buy condoms(yes that was a thing)

As i got older and could maybe afford one, but didnt think I deserved one yet, i remember going into my first AD....it was exciting!! I was treated wonderfully. I could have bought any watch in the case.......

When I bought my first and only AD watch, i chose a dealer across country based on some recommendations here because money was and still is an issue and they provided discreet discounts, but it was wonderful....lots of calls emails, a handwritten thank you, chocolates, a followup handwritten hows everything....this company EARNED my money.

I stepped away for a bit precovid and as my son and friends started telling me about watches I was a bit in disbelief but here we are.

I went into my local AD a couple of weeks ago, asked about buying a watch, she was lovely and suggested I "start coming in regularly, start a relationship, get to know a salesperson, inquire about his/her family

Thanks but no thanks This is moving in the complete wrong direction in my opinion. Its the Ticketmaster / Stub hub business model with Hermes pricing.

Just my 2 cents, im sure many will disagree.
I still love them, but I dont love this

Separately and unrelated, I would love to give a nod to this forum, the knowledge in here is priceless. I was reminded of this yesterday when had to get a few watches appraised because insurance is not keeping up, and I worry greatly about the appraiser - who didnt and couldn't possibly know 1 millionth of what people in here know.....holding my breath for his reports.
Agree.I went to the Rolex store in the Bellagio today in Las Vegas.When I tried to walk in the store a lady who works there stopped me.She stated that the store is busy right now and I would have to wait in line with the other people. I said NO and left. I looked into the store as I was leaving and there was one customer,1,uno!!!!!

"Never Allow Someone To Be Your Priority While Allowing Yourself To Be Their Option"-Mark Twain
Old 14 January 2024, 09:29 AM   #101
Avs Fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have spent six figures many times over on watches, namely with my Patek Philippe AD. If I walked in, and did NOT get what I wanted, I would not go back and they’d be dead to me that same day after the fortune I’ve spent.

With Rolex, it is similar but a hell of a lot better and the barrier for entry is a damn Datrjust 36 two tone or ladies 31mm? Please. Pay up, buy your wife a watch, and then get what you want.

Rolex is no where near as bad as other brands. Barrier of entry for a simple three hand Chronometre Bleu from FP Journe is $1 million… to get a $40k watch.

I, for one, APPRECIATE the direction Rolex has taken. In the early 2000s I divested myself from my large Rolex collection and sold all my pieces, at slight losses, because I detested the reputation of what Rolex had become: The watch if choice for a used car salesman. I associated Rolex for many decades as the douchey watch worn by the asshole driving a BMW 325 with a 96 month loan as a symbol that he “made it.” Rolex was by any account the watch of success as defined by the national American mediocrity, and it was a massive turn off. I then pivoted to a brand I more identified with, which was Patek Philippe. Only recently did I come back to Rolex after they have recovered their brand identity and used car salesman can no longer access their watches and are relegated to their five digit Subs that they bought at discount during the dark days of Rolex’s image when it was at the deepest depths not of the Marianas Trench, but the gutter of a Midwest city of a place like Cleveland.

Welcome back Rolex.
I dont know much about BMW 325s and used car salesmen, but I love Cleveland!
Old 14 January 2024, 09:32 AM   #102
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askdanny View Post
False premise.

Old 14 January 2024, 09:41 AM   #103
Patekfinder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by painexpert View Post
Agree.I went to the Rolex store in the Bellagio today in Las Vegas.When I tried to walk in the store a lady who works there stopped me.She stated that the store is busy right now and I would have to wait in line with the other people. I said NO and left. I looked into the store as I was leaving and there was one customer,1,uno!!!!!

Paris boutique is the same. You aren’t permitted in without an appointment or with an SA.

Old 14 January 2024, 10:01 AM   #104
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Found the car salesman.

This from someone who can’t find a spare 30 bucks.

Old 14 January 2024, 10:24 AM   #105
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
+1

Arrogance and elitism in one post.
Old 14 January 2024, 10:39 AM   #106
painexpert
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Paris boutique is the same. You aren’t permitted in without an appointment or with an SA.

Bunch of BS with these AD's.

Old 14 January 2024, 11:15 AM   #107
GotRolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Welcome back Rolex.

Dude, who cares what people do as long as they can afford it? I give more respect to the used car sales team than narrow-minded dudes like you.

Old 14 January 2024, 12:09 PM   #108
Watchman001
"TRF" Member

For those who say this is not manipulation, please explain why watches that used to appear in May after Baselworld now appear in December. Did Rolex somehow stop producing the watches in a timely manner, or do they choose to delay to create demand?

Explain, why every watch is now a unicorn that the AD has never seen before. Explain why a wait for a two tone is supposedly considerable.

It is obvious to anyone who is paying attention what is happening.
Old 14 January 2024, 12:10 PM   #109
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman001 View Post
For those who say this is not manipulation, please explain why watches that used to appear in May after Baselworld now appear in December. Did Rolex somehow stop producing the watches in a timely manner, or do they choose to delay to create demand?

Explain, why every watch is now a unicorn that the AD has never seen before. Explain why a wait for a two tone is supposedly considerable.

Solid points.
Old 14 January 2024, 12:12 PM   #110
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
2-bit hooker? I’ll have you know Jolene works damn hard to give you an elevated experience sir!

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 14 January 2024, 12:38 PM   #111
Gaussian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV Z-Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco68 View Post
I think that Rolex (or any luxury watch manufacturer for that matter) needs scarcity, & that needs to drive ownership investment return (which I know will grate with traditionalists).

Why? Because a lot of current long term Rolex wearers grew up with mechanical time pieces, & appreciate the best of that kind of watch.

Now, people are growing up with & getting used to wearing smartwatches & give it a decade or two, the functional limitations of conventional timepieces will appear very outdated & frustrating. If you own (like I do) an Apple Watch, its daily functionality is already very useful & as technology progresses, that usefulness will only increase.

A luxury watch therefore will need to be both scarce & valuable, to be a watch worth buying.

What you are describing might be true for some but I know many enthusiasts, in addition to me, who have bought, worn and still own smart watches yet prefer a mechanical timepiece.

How many people would buy a luxury timepiece knowing that it will depreciate to the point that you will need to pay to properly dispose of it and also knowing that it would need frequent—some with daily—charging, would scratch easy, require frequent “updates” AND was likely made in some communist country?

There is more than one reason why they are going to remain valued into the foreseeable future.

Old 14 January 2024, 02:31 PM   #112
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman001 View Post

Rolex isn’t obligated to flood the market with a watch as soon as it’s announced. I saw every watch that was announced in March at an AD by October save the Titanium Yachtmaster.
But so what if they want to make a watch (especially one in a relatively new metal) limited? Especially at the beginning.

Old 14 January 2024, 03:01 PM   #113
Wrathchild
Banned

Quote:

Welcome back Rolex.

Wow, what an arrogant outlook. Massively prejudging people, people that work hard and award themselves with a watch. You have the audacity to label a whole watch brand because someone you did not approve purchased a watch? You have no humility, plain and simple. Dude, you’re scum.
Ban this jerk.
Old 14 January 2024, 03:11 PM   #114
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathchild View Post
Wow, what an arrogant outlook. Massively prejudging people, people that work hard and award themselves with a watch. You have the audacity to label a whole watch brand because someone you did not approve purchased a watch? You have no humility, plain and simple.
Ban this jerk.
+1, only to later double-down in further comments.
Old 14 January 2024, 03:24 PM   #115
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

A true humanitarian!

Quote:
Found the car salesman.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0171.jpeg (80.5 KB, 128 views)
Old 14 January 2024, 03:24 PM   #116
Wrathchild
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
+1, only to later double-down in further comments.
Agreed. Can we get this guy banned? He doesn’t represent the people of this community.
Old 14 January 2024, 03:28 PM   #117
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Agreed. Can we get this guy banned? He doesn’t represent the people of this community.
Has he violated any rules, or do we just disagree with his outlook?
Old 14 January 2024, 03:36 PM   #118
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Not sure we should be banning people because we don’t like them, not for anything they did…
Old 14 January 2024, 03:57 PM   #119
Wrathchild
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
Not sure we should be banning people because we don’t like them, not for anything they did…
You didn’t read his post?
Old 14 January 2024, 03:58 PM   #120
Wrathchild
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Has he violated any rules, or do we just disagree with his outlook?
I guess you agree with his then?
Closed Thread