The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 January 2024, 12:00 AM   #31
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by TudorDXB View Post
Card washing is one of the biggest issues here in Dubai. Basically, some of the secondary dealers wash the card, write a new date, polish the watch and then sell it as new with fresh card. It requires a real trained eye to spot / catch it.
Wow. Good information to know. Buyer beware.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 01:04 AM   #32
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubler View Post
as some of you suggested, this is in fact a 2021 watch, if the price will reflect it, i'll be ok with doing the deal, but paying 2023 price on a 2021 watch that i wont do. the thing is, i dont understand is this case, where the AD signs a watch in a specific time (e.g. Dec2021) which starts the warranty meter, and allows the card to be written as 2023, and i have to say i dont think it's a matter of a fake card or watch, i do believe that the person who bought it, and knew well enough the needed people within that AD, also was able to get a different date signed on the card, same goes for examples i read about, where people can get a completely open card, with no date on it, but if the AD signs it, it'll get out eventually, so what's the point? these people work on their reputation, such a thing going online can destroy them...

You haven’t named the seller, or the AD, so no one’s reputation is being affected. We don’t know how this occurred. We are only making educated guesses. One thing I do know is that I would not buy this watch. Look for another.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 06:25 AM   #33
Timekeep111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
You haven’t named the seller, or the AD, so no one’s reputation is being affected. We don’t know how this occurred. We are only making educated guesses. One thing I do know is that I would not buy this watch. Look for another.

Kat

I couldn’t agree more.
Timekeep111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 07:30 AM   #34
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Anything that calls the integrity of the seller or the product into question gives me cause to pause. In this instance, I feel like I may be too spooked to move forward with the sale. There are many other watches out there without "asterisks."

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 11:43 PM   #35
doubler
"TRF" Member

what i was told is this - we are in a time where such models don't just come to an AD (i suppose not all AD's necessary work this way, but it does make sense that some are) when a Daytona is suppose to come to an AD, it should already have a name attached to it (AD's should have a very long waiting lists on these so it shouldn't be a problem) and when AD's gives this name, the warranty meter starts with Rolex. when the AD's get's the watch, they don't really have to give it to the name they gave Rolex (who started the meter from their perspective) and it's not like Rolex is double checking if the name that was given indeed end up closing the deal. so the AD has the watch, keeps it for a while, waiting to have to right person which means one they can do a deal with not at MSRP but in 'gray/market' value, and when it leaves the AD (in 'my' case a year+ later), the card gets its date. Remember, this is a shady operation, everyone involved should be very careful when doing this, so it might be slow, but there is big money involved, surly with scale, so to me it makes sense this is one of the MO's to generate the reality we see w.r.t these Rolex models, where AD's are responsible (and Rolex benefits and therefor not really fighting this) and 1st in line to earn from the gap between MSRP and market value, as they are in fact responsible for distributing the watches they get and thus can do what they want.
doubler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2024, 11:46 PM   #36
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Who’s the seller?
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 12:03 AM   #37
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Even setting aside the possibility of outright fraud, I wouldn't proceed with a purchase from this seller just based on the convolution.
Old 24 January 2024, 02:49 AM   #38
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
What do you make of the following scenario?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubler View Post
what i was told is this - we are in a time where such models don't just come to an AD (i suppose not all AD's necessary work this way, but it does make sense that some are) when a Daytona is suppose to come to an AD, it should already have a name attached to it (AD's should have a very long waiting lists on these so it shouldn't be a problem) and when AD's gives this name, the warranty meter starts with Rolex. when the AD's get's the watch, they don't really have to give it to the name they gave Rolex (who started the meter from their perspective) and it's not like Rolex is double checking if the name that was given indeed end up closing the deal. so the AD has the watch, keeps it for a while, waiting to have to right person which means one they can do a deal with not at MSRP but in 'gray/market' value, and when it leaves the AD (in 'my' case a year+ later), the card gets its date. Remember, this is a shady operation, everyone involved should be very careful when doing this, so it might be slow, but there is big money involved, surly with scale, so to me it makes sense this is one of the MO's to generate the reality we see w.r.t these Rolex models, where AD's are responsible (and Rolex benefits and therefor not really fighting this) and 1st in line to earn from the gap between MSRP and market value, as they are in fact responsible for distributing the watches they get and thus can do what they want.

If that is the explanation you got, it’s a load of crap! The AD’s take delivery, and pay Rolex for the watch. The warranty starts when the AD actually sells the watch. The AD will have access to the customer’s name. They no longer give that info to Rolex, but keep it in house. The original buyer’s name is no longer on the warranty card. The warranty follows the watch. Given what the seller told you, “Run, Forest, Run!”

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 03:15 AM   #39
jimkar
"TRF" Member

The answer is that ad's will not order a model from Rolex that they already have in stock. Even if they order it, Rolex will not sent the same model to an AD unless they activate the guarantee so as to seem that the watch is sold. So an AD may activate the guarantee (even if they the watch is not sold) so as to order the same model. The watch is still brand new and they can sell it whenever they want.

Στάλθηκε από το SM-S908B μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
jimkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 03:44 AM   #40
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Anything is possible here, but its not THAT uncommon for a watch to be sold with a warranty card not filled out; especially if it's going to a grey dealer. Things have absolutely tightened up over the past several years with ADs filling out cards to completion, removing all stickers, etc, but I am sure there are shortcuts taken wherein the watch is sold, registered, but nothing else is completed. I have purchased Rolex watches from very well known grey dealers who put my name on the warranty card (back when there was a space for it). Clearly the AD where the watch came from (which was also on the card) did not fill out the name of the grey dealer who sold the watch to me.

My bet is the watch was sold in 2021. It sat around, the model got discontinued/updated, the seller put the final year it was available (2023) on the card to drive up value. Unless the watch changed hands before it got to the grey dealer you worked with, I would be a little annoyed.

The watch is real, the seller isn't forthcoming. His explanation that you provided is also nonsense.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 04:04 AM   #41
Max7857
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AK EXP II SeaQ
Perhaps it was an exhibition piece and the warranty started from the time it was placed on display. It was just recently that AD started selling the displays.
Max7857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 09:40 AM   #42
RollingInTheDeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
If that is the explanation you got, it’s a load of crap! The AD’s take delivery, and pay Rolex for the watch. The warranty starts when the AD actually sells the watch. The AD will have access to the customer’s name. They no longer give that info to Rolex, but keep it in house. The original buyer’s name is no longer on the warranty card. The warranty follows the watch. Given what the seller told you, “Run, Forest, Run!”

Kat

This. (Funny how we both find ourselves on these threads )

The one thing that is reasonable is the possibility for the AD to sell the piece "out the back door" for a figure over MSRP. I would imagine this is done with a bit more creativity through a bundle, i.e, watch at MSRP and a designer piece of jewelery at 90% margin.
RollingInTheDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 09:53 AM   #43
TXshaggy
"TRF" Member

That explanation…wow, just wow.

Lots available; time to move on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TXshaggy is offline   Reply With Quote