The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 February 2024, 06:56 AM   #1
Flyfishersoutheast
"TRF" Member

Charging lume on a DJ41

Friends:

I am still in the first 30 days of ownership of my blue DJ 41. I love everything about it. Today, I am fixated with the lume.

What is the best way to get the brightest, longest-lasting "charge" for the lume? Mine seems to do best when I set it in the sun.

Is there such a thing as a full charge? If so, how long does that take?

How long should a good charge last?

Thanks for your help!!

(Also, I know this is silly, but whenever I try to charge my lume, I flash back to the various glow-in-the-dark toys I got from cereal boxes as a kid. I would just hold those up to a lamp to get them to glow.)
Flyfishersoutheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 07:34 AM   #2
Njkdog
Banned

Watch: Speedy reduced
100% sitting in the sun, unless you have an unrealistically powerful light source.

I think it should only take a few minutes, but I’d be curious if anyone has any articles on this, I know there are a few chemists on the forums…

Glad you’re enjoying!
Njkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 07:51 AM   #3
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
rolex is not best known for its lume, but 5 sec of direct sun light should get it to the max.
worldofoyster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 09:43 AM   #4
Kap007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116900
I hit mine for 90 seconds with the flashlight from my phone. Lasts all night.
Kap007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 09:57 AM   #5
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Ultraviolet flash light. You can get them on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 09:57 AM   #6
Order 72
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap007 View Post
I hit mine for 90 seconds with the flashlight from my phone. Lasts all night.
Pro tip
Order 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 10:20 AM   #7
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

+1 on the UV flashlight. Works better than a normal torch I’ve found
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 11:25 AM   #8
alcaliguri
Banned

Congratulations on your new Rolex Datejust 41! It's great to hear that you're enjoying it.

For the best and longest-lasting charge for the lume on your watch, sunlight is indeed the most effective method. Sunlight provides a strong and consistent source of UV light, which is what charges the luminescent material on the watch hands and indices.

A "full charge" for the lume can be achieved by exposing the watch to direct sunlight for a few hours. However, even a shorter exposure time will provide a significant boost to the brightness and duration of the lume.

Once fully charged, the lume should remain visible in low-light conditions for several hours, gradually fading over time. The exact duration can vary depending on factors such as the quality of the lume and how much charge it initially received.

And don't worry about the nostalgia of charging glow-in-the-dark toys – it's a fun connection to have with your watch's lume!
alcaliguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 03:25 AM   #9
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Charging lume on a DJ41

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcaliguri View Post
Congratulations on your new Rolex Datejust 41! It's great to hear that you're enjoying it.

For the best and longest-lasting charge for the lume on your watch, sunlight is indeed the most effective method. Sunlight provides a strong and consistent source of UV light, which is what charges the luminescent material on the watch hands and indices.

A "full charge" for the lume can be achieved by exposing the watch to direct sunlight for a few hours. However, even a shorter exposure time will provide a significant boost to the brightness and duration of the lume.

Once fully charged, the lume should remain visible in low-light conditions for several hours, gradually fading over time. The exact duration can vary depending on factors such as the quality of the lume and how much charge it initially received.

And don't worry about the nostalgia of charging glow-in-the-dark toys – it's a fun connection to have with your watch's lume!

You don’t need hours of direct sunlight, in order to fully charge any kind of lume. A minute, or two, is plenty long enough. In practical use, you will want to charge it, before turning off the light, before going to bed. I use my iPhone’s light for one minute, and the lume is as bright as it will get. It will gradually fade throughout the night. Having said all of that, Rolex is not known for its lume. Seiko’s Lumibrite is about the best, in the industry.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote