The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 March 2024, 09:45 AM   #1
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Car ceramic coating on 5 digit insert?

I realize some people may blast me for this, but i’m genuinely curious…

I ceramic coated my car, a fun time consuming process lol. It got me thinking about it on a 5 digit aluminum insert. Im too chicken to do it, although i guess would only cost me $100 to replace it. Im curious if anyone here on TRF has experimented with it for giggles. If so, how did it turn out? Do u regret doing it?

I realize people may not want to admit to doing it on a public forum, so feel free to drop me a PM
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 10:00 AM   #2
MovieGuy
"TRF" Member

Seriously?
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 10:30 AM   #3
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Well, ceramic coating on a car is great in my option. Cleaning is very easy. So on the bezel insert, what are we trying to achieve? Ease of cleaning? What are you doing with your watch that you think you need this..

If the bezel insert was loose, then coating would be easy. With the bezel insert, in the bezel, I think you would make a mess and a true ceramic coating needs mechanical polishing to remove it.

It’s a pass for me!
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 10:53 AM   #4
Texasjim
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ...this!
Anodize is obviously different than paint, may not do anything. But hey, roll the bones on this, and tell us about it! Cheers…
Old 15 March 2024, 10:56 AM   #5
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Ceramic coating on a car doesn’t even protect it from scratches, rock chips, or a dirty rag… so would be a wasted effort on that tiny insert if you could even get it to stick to begin with
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 12:45 PM   #6
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Hell no man. Go for a full wrap!!!

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 01:03 PM   #7
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Xpel Ultimate!

In all seriousness I'd not even think about it nor would I do it. What coating did you use?
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 03:34 PM   #8
Flypanam
2024 Pledge Member

Ceramic coating on a car is a thin layer of sealant that makes it easy to wash dust and other debris off. It does not offer any actual protection against chips and damage, but it does help the car look better / shinier.

Ceramic bezels are made of ceramic material completely, not just coated, which is what gives them the scratch and damage resistance. You can't just coat an aluminum bezel in a ceramic sealant and assume it will take on the properties of a full ceramic bezel.

It's a completely different concept / process.
Tudor: Pelagos 42 Blue; North Flag; BB GMT
Best of the rest: Zenith Defy Classic Skeleton; Panerai Luminor PAM1085 Blu Mare; Hermes H08 Madison LE; Grand Seiko Soko SBGA429; Breitling Chronomat 40 GMT
Flypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 04:10 PM   #9
harvey
"TRF" Member

…how filthy are you getting your watch that your considering this? 1st April is next month.
Old 15 March 2024, 04:19 PM   #10
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Ceramic coating on a car doesn’t even protect it from scratches, rock chips, or a dirty rag…
There is a misconception out there that ceramic coating protects the surface from these things, and I think that is why OP was considering applying it to a scratch prone bezel.
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 05:06 PM   #11
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Unfortunately no matter what you do you’ll never stop scratches or dings
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 06:21 PM   #12
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Ceramic coating; nonsense, snake oil.
thesharkfactor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 07:01 PM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS9D View Post
I realize some people may blast me for this, but i’m genuinely curious…

I ceramic coated my car, a fun time consuming process lol. It got me thinking about it on a 5 digit aluminum insert. Im too chicken to do it, although i guess would only cost me $100 to replace it. Im curious if anyone here on TRF has experimented with it for giggles. If so, how did it turn out? Do u regret doing it?

I realize people may not want to admit to doing it on a public forum, so feel free to drop me a PM
You got to be joking surely in general today Rolex watches get a very pampered life but this one a bit over the top IMHO.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 07:04 PM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
There is a misconception out there that ceramic coating protects the surface from these things, and I think that is why OP was considering applying it to a scratch prone bezel.
Well my 16600 SD had a very hard life working for many years as a real working tool underwater.But now 25 years old and in all that time only one insert changed and that one was not really badly scratched cost then around £30.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 07:06 PM   #15
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If done properly a good coat will prevent oxidation and bleaching. I think there's some merit in it, at least in theory. It might be more worth considering if the watch is used in harsh environments.

I haven't tried it. The only watch I have with an Al insert has a matte finish and I wouldn't want to put a shiny coat over it. That and the fact it's never occured to me until I read this thread!
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 07:08 PM   #16
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: P-serial 116518
I would LOVE to see that!
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 07:14 PM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Maybe something like this ?

https://www.everbritecoatings.com/an...curtain%20wall.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 02:01 AM   #18
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well my 16600 SD had a very hard life working for many years as a real working tool underwater.But now 25 years old and in all that time only one insert changed and that one was not really badly scratched cost then around £30.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
If done properly a good coat will prevent oxidation and bleaching. I think there's some merit in it, at least in theory. It might be more worth considering if the watch is used in harsh environments.

I haven't tried it. The only watch I have with an Al insert has a matte finish and I wouldn't want to put a shiny coat over it. That and the fact it's never occured to me until I read this thread!

For clarification to the readers, I was curious about the THEROY of it while I was bored outta mind my doing the prep work on the car, then the application of the ceramic coat, waiting for it to dry, wipe, repeat the next section, my mind started wandering.

Ive had my 16710 for 9 years and haven’t scratched the insert doing a variety of household work, gardening, etc, although since I said it, today will be the day I do lol.

As someone else mentioned, I guess I was under the misconception that the car ceramic coating will protect against minor scratches and micro swirls. I also did it for the benefit of easier washes and how it makes the paint look. So with my misconception of the level of protection it provides, the theory crossed my mine. Like I said, I’m too chicken to try it on any of my own inserts.

Hmmm but I never considered a wrap
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 02:07 AM   #19
lmcgbaj
"TRF" Member

Watch: es are FUN!!!
XPEL ghost or nothing.
Old 16 March 2024, 02:23 AM   #20
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Don’t blast the OP too much here as he isn’t that far off with the idea.

A hydrophobic polish on watches after detailing is not a new concept. This is an old watch detailing trick. Ever notice after a freshly professionally polished watch water runs off and won’t stick?

I believe some actually had carnauba wax as one of their ingredients. It acted as a brightner/gloss to the metal (pm and ss) on bracelets and watch cases. It would also slow down any oxidation or minor staining. I believe the most valuable property was it minimized fingerprints and offered a hydrophobic coating allowing dirt not to stick. In turn making cleaning/rinsing easier.
Jewelers have used products like this for decades on sterling silver and other metals to combat oxidation and staining from sweat.

On a side note as PCA concourse judge and competitor for 3 decades: I absolutely treat all my interior and exterior aluminum, titanium, and other unpainted metal handles and parts with S-100 detailing wax (beeswax and carnauba wax). It makes a huge difference in gloss and stops any staining or pitting.

Back to the OP: I am not sure a ceramic coating is the best if it’s going to be touching your skin. This is why jewelers use a organic wax like product as it’s safe to be against your skin.
Old 16 March 2024, 09:48 AM   #21
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Ceramic coating on a car doesn’t even protect it from scratches, rock chips, or a dirty rag… so would be a wasted effort on that tiny insert if you could even get it to stick to begin with
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
Ceramic coating; nonsense, snake oil.
Indeed.

I have a bunch of people I know in the car world that seem to swear by ceramic coating. I had it done to my wife’s Tahoe without doing much more research. Then I picked it up and they said basically I now have to baby it even more than before to protect the coating now.

Definitely not worth it as a means of paint protection. My wife’s truck is black so it does look a bit shinier, but in the end I really don’t feel ceramic coatings are what they sell it as.

Not much advice on the insert in my end, just felt the need to chime in after my recent ceramic journey.
Old 16 March 2024, 03:39 PM   #22
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Daytona View Post
Indeed.

I have a bunch of people I know in the car world that seem to swear by ceramic coating. I had it done to my wife’s Tahoe without doing much more research. Then I picked it up and they said basically I now have to baby it even more than before to protect the coating now.

Definitely not worth it as a means of paint protection. My wife’s truck is black so it does look a bit shinier, but in the end I really don’t feel ceramic coatings are what they sell it as.

Not much advice on the insert in my end, just felt the need to chime in after my recent ceramic journey.

I had my wife’s car expel wrapped throughout and even that didn’t protect it from rock chips!! Common sense dictated that some magic liquid coating wasn’t going to do any better

like Mystro says, old school wax does the same thing ceramic touts and it’s much faster to apply without having to perform waiting rituals. Can you believe they charge $1000 to apply that stuff?

Back on topic though, you’re better off with one of those protective stickers on the bezel. Or better yet, just replace it for $70 if the damage is that bad
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 04:09 PM   #23
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Quote:
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote