The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 September 2023, 05:47 PM   #91
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Just wait it out.

Most regular offerings are going to be easier to get in a few months.
BraveBold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 10:48 PM   #92
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceProf View Post
Although, if what I’ve read is correct, much of the grey dealer supply is coming out the back doors of ADs. If so, that’s a problem.

That used to be the case, and it does happen. But, most ADs would not take the chance of losing their AD status, by doing that. A lot of the stock is from flippers ( people who legitimately buy from ADs, just to turn around and sell their allocations to a grey dealer, for profit). I cannot stress enough, that if you buy from a trusted seller, here, you will not risk getting a super clone. These guys know what they’re doing. They have authenticated the watches, before they purchased them. I am against the CPO program, because the prices are outrageous, and the watches are at least 3 years old. Going grey is a better option.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 11:02 PM   #93
garymyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub; Ω
This fright of buying a fake is just not a realistic concern. You've been given a list of at least 3 sellers FAR more trustworthy than most AD's.

The one I've purchased from, DavidSW, has gone from selling here, to building his own website, and now a brick-and-mortar store (with a second coming, as I understand). I bought an Omega Planet Ocean from him a decade ago - it's running strong.

Who would you rather deal with: a grey-market seller who will get you the watch on your wrist within 24 hours, for a modest markup above MSRP, or some jewelry store that wants you to buy a bunch of junk in order to maybe be the next guy they call for an AirKing? The choice is obvious to me.
Old 12 September 2023, 11:23 PM   #94
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The one Rolex I want is the TT Sub with blue dial.

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes many here have said things like, “I don’t mean to be rude, but….” followed by their very rude comment. Lol

It seems to come down to three options.

1). Go grey (the most common response which I will explore….I just don’t know enough to be assured in my own mind that I’ll not get a fake, regardless of so many assurance from the folks on this forum)

2). Switch brands and buy an Omega or something else.

3). Buy a bunch of jewelry I don’t want or need hoping the transaction history will yield a Rolex allocation.

Obviously, I have a decision to make. I’ll explore #1 and #2. I choose not to do #3 as my family is not into jewelry except for watches.
You are missing a fourth option. That is, start a relationship with an AD or two. Be genuine, polite, and let them know the watch you are looking for (just one for now). A bluesy is not that difficult to obtain at an AD. With this being the case, as I and others have mentioned, you must be coming across to AD's as arrogant or a potential flipper or you would have had a watch by now.

Option 3 won't help you if you are coming across a arrogant or a potential flipper either. They'll sell you the jewelry but still won't get you a watch. And furthermore, MANY people such as myself can get a Rolex without buying any jewelry.

Finally, countless people have posted here to go with the trusted dealers such as DavidSW, Takuya etc. but you continue to ignore the advise of others. If these trusted sellers were selling counterfeit watches they wouldn't continue to be in business with the high reputation that they have. There is no need to open the watch if you purchase from these businesses. The risk of getting a counterfeit watch from them is virtually zero.

This all leaves be to believe that something else is going on here. You've been unsuccessful at an AD and you don't trust the trusted secondary market dealers. And apparently you have been savvy enough to be a successful business man. As a successful business man, you shouldn't be worried about going grey with one of these dealers. With the apparent AD problems you have had, most here on TRF would have said thanks for the list of trusted dealers and would have already been down this route. I'm sorry, but it just isn't adding up for me. Good luck, although you really don't need it as the answer is right in front of your nose if you choose to take it.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2023, 12:28 AM   #95
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

Everyone on this forum can afford a Rolex otherwise they wouldn’t be here.
I assume many are full left or right on the ego-spectrum so it’s not surprising that your forum introduction was met with some tepidness.

Maybe you could slip “CEO” in the conversation with your AD, I imagine that would encourage them to google your name and perhaps offer you what you seek?

My experience is that ADs will offer those who buy ancillary products first pick of the Rolex line. One individual, who I know personally, makes less than I do but he has managed to leverage his spend history, flipping and trading his way into quite an impressive collection. I do not have the constitution for that.

Other than that, I would just go grey like many have suggested. There really is very little difference.
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2023, 01:57 AM   #96
Offshore
"TRF" Member

I don't understand the blind faith placed in 'trusted sellers'. Yes, they have a reputation to protect but they are also fallible, as are we all.

Where do they get their watches? If not from an AD how can they be 100% sure what they are buying is genuine? Perhaps they are 95% sure and perhaps that is good enough. If a watch sold to a customer is less than satisfactory then of course a full refund would be given so no harm done.

I suspect that there are many watches being worn, purchased from reputable sellers, that are not genuine. I also suspect that the risk is higher when buying 'new, unworn' stock.

How to buy a rolex? Surely it is not that difficult to by a PM model. I was offered a rose gold skydweller on oysterflex last year. I had no history with the jeweller. Anyway it was too much for me both financially and for the environment in which I work. I was honest about what I wanted and could afford and eventually they came through. I did keep in touch and was clear about the model I wanted but if they had not come though I was open that I wouldn't have been that upset. It's not a kidney after all.

Good luck.
Offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2023, 03:19 AM   #97
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
I don't understand the blind faith placed in 'trusted sellers'. Yes, they have a reputation to protect but they are also fallible, as are we all.

Where do they get their watches? If not from an AD how can they be 100% sure what they are buying is genuine? Perhaps they are 95% sure and perhaps that is good enough. If a watch sold to a customer is less than satisfactory then of course a full refund would be given so no harm done.

I suspect that there are many watches being worn, purchased from reputable sellers, that are not genuine. I also suspect that the risk is higher when buying 'new, unworn' stock.

How to buy a rolex? Surely it is not that difficult to by a PM model. I was offered a rose gold skydweller on oysterflex last year. I had no history with the jeweller. Anyway it was too much for me both financially and for the environment in which I work. I was honest about what I wanted and could afford and eventually they came through. I did keep in touch and was clear about the model I wanted but if they had not come though I was open that I wouldn't have been that upset. It's not a kidney after all.

Good luck.
It's because sellers like DavidSW and Takuya have been in business long enough to spot a fake, even the good ones fairly easily. I myself could probably spot 95% of them as well as there are certain things that one can look for that are difficult at best to replicate by the counterfeiters.

The problem you have to worry about is those dealers that know they are trying to sell a counterfeit watch and trying to pass them off as genuine. Dealers like DavidSW and Takuya simply will not do that.
Old 13 September 2023, 05:00 AM   #98
garymyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub; Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
Perhaps they are 95% sure and perhaps that is good enough.
Buddy, these guys are not your local pawn shop employees. They know FAR more about Rolex watches than an AD.
Old 13 September 2023, 05:28 AM   #99
BraveBold
"TRF" Member

Cannot have it both ways. Trusted sellers cannot both a) buy primarily from flippers and not ADs as some indicate and b) have zero risk of counterfeits. Once there is an intermediate step risk gets introduced. Especially as buying/selling volume increases.

Low risk, sure. As low as direct from AD? No way.
BraveBold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2023, 05:34 AM   #100
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveBold View Post
Cannot have it both ways. Trusted sellers cannot both a) buy primarily from flippers and not ADs as some indicate and b) have zero risk of counterfeits. Once there is an intermediate step risk gets introduced. Especially as buying/selling volume increases.

Low risk, sure. As low as direct from AD? No way.
You're absolutely right. The risk is higher from a trusted seller than an AD. Most (if not all?) have some kind of return policy within a certain period of time. Like I said earlier in this thread, I got mine authenticated locally after it arrived. I guess it's down to your own due diligence, if you want to do the legwork on your end in exchange for getting a watch overnighted to your doorstep vs the AD game.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2023, 06:01 AM   #101
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Visit your AD in person. Let them know you're still interested in the Bluesy and ask if they have any idea how much longer it might take. Take at face value and keep waiting, or buy grey if you don't want to wait. I think you should buy from AD because it's nice to be the first owner instead of buying used 2nd hand, especially for a first watch.
Old 13 September 2023, 10:52 AM   #102
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
That used to be the case, and it does happen. But, most ADs would not take the chance of losing their AD status, by doing that. A lot of the stock is from flippers ( people who legitimately buy from ADs, just to turn around and sell their allocations to a grey dealer, for profit). I cannot stress enough, that if you buy from a trusted seller, here, you will not risk getting a super clone. These guys know what they’re doing. They have authenticated the watches, before they purchased them. I am against the CPO program, because the prices are outrageous, and the watches are at least 3 years old. Going grey is a better option.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am against the grey market/grey dealers. Either buy from Rolex AD or none at all.

Play the AD wait game or check out other brands other than the crown. It did not take long but I finally got my first watch from an AD, paid msrp.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2023, 12:39 PM   #103
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol' Rex View Post
There is a fourth option, and it may be the best one for you:

Buy your Rolex from an authorized dealer through the Certified Pre-Owned Program.

By doing this you are guaranteed that the watch is genuine, and at the same time you will be establishing a purchase-history with an authorized dealer which will in turn make it easier to acquire further watches at retail.

https://www.rolex.com/de/buying-a-ro...fied-pre-owned

Good luck!
You make a good point. Yes, there are 4 options.

My local AD doesn't have any CPO watches. Is anyone besides Bucherer doing the CPO program? The nearest Bucherer for me is probably Atlanta (5 hour drive) though I could stop there the next time I'm travelling through that area.
FinanceProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2023, 01:45 PM   #104
RollingInTheDeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopi-c View Post
I am against the grey market/grey dealers. Either buy from Rolex AD or none at all.

Play the AD wait game or check out other brands other than the crown. It did not take long but I finally got my first watch from an AD, paid msrp.
I was of this mindset as well. But what happens if you're not looking to "collect" whatever you can get your hands on the one watch you do want is going to be discontinued and you don't want to buy a used piece?

What's the difference between what we are discussing and those that buy luxury or exotic cars from indy dealers instead of the licensed dealership?

As I said before, Rolex has done a great job getting people to believe that the only way to buy a Rolex is through an AD. Most desired watches across Rolex, PP, and AP are being acquired by the very people that can afford dumping cash on jewelry by going through a reputable dealer who has an AD relationship and splits the profit or is getting brand new pieces from those that "got the call". There's then the .00000X% that get the off catalog pieces through the AD who happen to be the jewelry store's top 1 or 2 client from a revenue perspective.

The fact is that those people are dealing with people they know and trust, which is why it's hard to be a newbie going secondary market. Also, keep in mind that a watch sold from some rando unknown person online hiding behind a fake name is different than someone who can be tracked down and charged with fraud. Further, the new warranty cards have a specific feature that to my understanding cannot currently be replicated.
RollingInTheDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2023, 06:36 PM   #105
RollieZ
Banned

I literally just saw another thread just like this few days ago. Guy insisted he's a whale and willing to spend 100k on the spot. It doesn't work like that.
RollieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2023, 07:17 PM   #106
Innocenti
"TRF" Member

This kinda experience is why I don’t think I’d buy another Rolex.
Innocenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2023, 07:51 PM   #107
garg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innocenti View Post
This kinda experience is why I don’t think I’d buy another Rolex.
On the other hand if all the rolex models were readily available at the ads, I think that even more people will not desire a rolex as much

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk
garg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2023, 04:20 AM   #108
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjockey View Post

Maybe you could slip “CEO” in the conversation with your AD, I imagine that would encourage them to google your name and perhaps offer you what you seek?
Most of the posters here have suggested that I NOT do that as it might come across as "entitled".

I did give the Salesperson a business card so she could have easily googled me to see, but again, if that makes me as a customer appear entitled, maybe I should use a different approach.

It's amazing that we are all here on a forum about buying a watch talking about the psychology of the sales interaction to succeed at spending $15,000. So crazy.
Old 14 September 2023, 04:35 AM   #109
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymyman View Post
This fright of buying a fake is just not a realistic concern. You've been given a list of at least 3 sellers FAR more trustworthy than most AD's.

The one I've purchased from, DavidSW, has gone from selling here, to building his own website, and now a brick-and-mortar store (with a second coming, as I understand). I bought an Omega Planet Ocean from him a decade ago - it's running strong.

Who would you rather deal with: a grey-market seller who will get you the watch on your wrist within 24 hours, for a modest markup above MSRP, or some jewelry store that wants you to buy a bunch of junk in order to maybe be the next guy they call for an AirKing? The choice is obvious to me.
Gary, I would like to have total confidence that this is true. Maybe eventually with more research and understanding I'll get there.

In the meantime, I have my concerns. In my career, I used to travel to China twice a year to visit manufacturing plants in Suzhou and Shenzhen.

I bought a couple fakes in the "fake market" in Suzhou. I gave the submariner in the picture to my son. This is a relatively inexpensive fake, but it's good enough that I think a person would have to take the back off to see the movement to tell.

The YouTube videos on the "super fakes" supposedly have movements that do a fair job of copying the Rolex parts so that it takes a true expert to know the difference.

I understand those of you with more experience in this group think we who are concerned are crazy for being concerned. Eventually maybe I'll know enough to have your level of understanding, but for now I'm looking for a guarantee. If that means waiting for a very long time or switching brands, I guess that'll be my loss.

BTW - the watch in the picture is worn by my son regularly and has been for over 6 or 7 years.

Ben's Fake Rolex (small).jpg
Old 14 September 2023, 04:37 AM   #110
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You make a good point. Yes, there are 4 options.

My local AD doesn't have any CPO watches. Is anyone besides Bucherer doing the CPO program? The nearest Bucherer for me is probably Atlanta (5 hour drive) though I could stop there the next time I'm travelling through that area.
DavidSW has two shops: Orlando & Miami. If it gives you more of a piece of mind to go into a physical store & talk to someone, I suggest & support that school of thought. Also, SwissWatchExpo has their storefront in Atlanta if you're in the area.

If the AD "games" are what people say they are & you do not wish to play said games or be on a mysterious waitlist... Think about what you value more... time/games vs FedEx overnight insured plus a local authentication plus a not unreasonable (IMO) mark-up.

Old 14 September 2023, 04:39 AM   #111
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratfisk View Post
DavidSW has two shops: Orlando & Miami. If it gives you more of a piece of mind to go into a physical store & talk to someone, I suggest & support that school of thought. Also, SwissWatchExpo has their storefront in Atlanta if you're in the area.

If the AD "games" are what people say they are & you do not wish to play said games or be on a mysterious waitlist... Think about what you value more... time/games vs FedEx overnight insured plus a local authentication plus a not unreasonable (IMO) mark-up.
I am leaning this direction. I think your suggestion fits me best.

I have to figure out the "authentication" piece (how to get that done locally).

I don't know if my AD's watchmaker would do it seeing I didn't purchase from them...?
Old 14 September 2023, 04:44 AM   #112
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am leaning this direction. I think your suggestion fits me best.

I have to figure out the "authentication" piece (how to get that done locally).

I don't know if my AD's watchmaker would do it seeing I didn't purchase from them...?
In my limited experience, my two local ADs said they 1. do not open up watches in store (they send to RSC in LA) & 2. they do not authenticate pieces on-site (again, RSC in LA).

I went through my trusted jeweler, someone I've worked with for years who has made customer pieces for my wife. She pointed me to two independent watch guys in San Diego. Went to both, both said good to go while I waited. Neither charged me a dime, but I tipped them what I thought was appropriate for my piece of mind.

Old 14 September 2023, 05:24 AM   #113
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Gary, I would like to have total confidence that this is true. Maybe eventually with more research and understanding I'll get there.

In the meantime, I have my concerns. In my career, I used to travel to China twice a year to visit manufacturing plants in Suzhou and Shenzhen.

I bought a couple fakes in the "fake market" in Suzhou. I gave the submariner in the picture to my son. This is a relatively inexpensive fake, but it's good enough that I think a person would have to take the back off to see the movement to tell.

The YouTube videos on the "super fakes" supposedly have movements that do a fair job of copying the Rolex parts so that it takes a true expert to know the difference.

I understand those of you with more experience in this group think we who are concerned are crazy for being concerned. Eventually maybe I'll know enough to have your level of understanding, but for now I'm looking for a guarantee. If that means waiting for a very long time or switching brands, I guess that'll be my loss.

BTW - the watch in the picture is worn by my son regularly and has been for over 6 or 7 years.
I was a GM at for a large petrochemical manufacturing plant prior to retiring. You sir, have what we used to call in the business as "paralysis of analysis". You study things so much you become paralyzed and do nothing. As others have said, DavidSW probably knows more about Rolex, and how to spot a fake Rolex better than an AD could. They have to be as they are in the resale business. There are some pretty simple things to check for that give it away. I know, I purchased a super clone just to see how good they actually are (never wore it, and have since sold it). As good as the watch looked, you can spot what is not right if you know where to look. Sometimes it's the clasp. Sometimes it's the script on the rehaut. I would be able to tell on the one you bought for your son fairly quickly, and you don't necessarily have to open it up to do so. DavidSW can do the same.

Regardless, you can trust someone like DavidSW. They wouldn't be in business this long if they sold counterfeit watches as OEM.
Old 14 September 2023, 06:40 AM   #114
simplythebest
"TRF" Member

Jewlery is a business of confidence. I believe it's as simple as that.
simplythebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2023, 07:06 AM   #115
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratfisk View Post

I contacted them today. Told them I'd be interested in a 126613LB (Bluesy - the newest model of the two-tone Sub with blue dial).

The MSRP at the AD is $15,600
The Grey Market prices seem to be around $16k to $18k (Chrono24, etc.)
DavidSW is $21-$23k

It's an option. I live a little over 6 hours from Orlando. Maybe I'll pick a long weekend and make a road trip to check them out.
Old 14 September 2023, 07:09 AM   #116
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE who contributed to this thread.

You've probably given me every possible option to consider.

I'm going to sign off now, but I'll be floating around the forums occasionally reading other threads.

Thanks again. Best Regards to All.
Old 9 April 2024, 10:31 AM   #117
BETRNSX
"TRF" Member

I'm curious how this story continued...
BETRNSX is offline   Reply With Quote