The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 August 2009, 09:48 AM   #31
deserted
Banned

Watch: Patek 1909003
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
You just need to evolve some in understanding what watch sites are all about.

If you were expecting some sort of homogenous mass of watch purists on TRF you are in for a big surprise. FIRST, Rolex is the biggest snob appeal brand on the planet, because those that don't give a rat's ass about the miracle of a mechanical watch don't know if Patek, Lange, AP, or the very "primo" brands make watches or lawn mowers; they do know Rolex makes watches and some hangout are here. In fairness, this place becomes more of a watch site and less of a Rolex site every day. By way, that does no harm to the rep of Rolex, it just makes for a more informed community.
Don't get me wrong it was a lovely gesture by my wife , I guess that is something to keep in mind because my brother owned one before me and i'm just trying to get used to this , no pun intented , Thanks
deserted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2009, 09:55 AM   #32
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserted View Post
Don't get me wrong it was a lovely gesture by my wife , I guess that is something to keep in mind because my brother owned one before me and i'm just trying to get used to this , no pun intented , Thanks
Well, you have a beautiful watch. Maybe I missed your point, but I wasn't being even slightly critical. The other thing you'll soon discover around here is the strong desire from some coping mechanism for the guilt some feel about owning a nice watch. Others will ask for the pre-approved script for when someone calls your watch a fake or asks why you spent so much on a watch, etc. Sadly, for some, the ability to answer those questions on their own comes after their ability to buy the watch.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2009, 10:00 AM   #33
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

This article is OLD and dusty.

A modern gold Rolex is HEAVY.

My old 116718 weighed 231g or 200g without the non gold parts or 150g of pure gold when converted from 18 to 24ct.

150g of pure gold X £18.50 per gram (today price) = £2775.00 / $4500.

That's nearly 500% more than the article states.

If I smelted my GMT I'd have got £2775 for it. I sold it for rather more than that. If I smelted my Sub I'd have got 0p for it.
Old 13 August 2009, 10:59 AM   #34
deserted
Banned

Watch: Patek 1909003
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Well, you have a beautiful watch. Maybe I missed your point, but I wasn't being even slightly critical. The other thing you'll soon discover around here is the strong desire from some coping mechanism for the guilt some feel about owning a nice watch. Others will ask for the pre-approved script for when someone calls your watch a fake or asks why you spent so much on a watch, etc. Sadly, for some, the ability to answer those questions on their own comes after their ability to buy the watch.
Thanks Matt , you know i guess that's my problem here it is we are in the most econonmic hardship in over fifty years and i'm walking around with a 6,000 dollar watch on my wrist , but it was a gift and thanks for taking time to make those points to me.
deserted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2009, 11:25 AM   #35
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
The way I look at it is the guy sporting the platinum or gold Rolex or Patek or whatever the flavor of the day is doesnt even think about the actual gold content of the watch versus what he paid for it or its value.Anbody who has bought 1 new from an AD new they paid way to much but it didnt matter than.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2009, 07:09 AM   #36
theken
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_rocks View Post
You are saying that the SS Daytona costs 6666.67USD.

20,000USD = 6666.67USD X 3 (300%).

More like 200%, at retail of ~9995.99USD.

SS Sub would be 5333.33USD.

I like your prices better than the actual prices.
We are talking from an AD, aren't we?
My post is about the price differential.
A SS Daytona is the US is $9925, A WG Daytona (on bracelet) is $30,700 based upon US AD retail prices. The differential is $20K as I stated which is 300%.
A SS Sub is $6000, a WG Sub about $29,850, a differential closer to 500%.
It appears to me that the the value of the precious metal vs. stainless steel has very little impact in the determination of the retail price.
theken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2009, 07:19 AM   #37
OYSTERMANN
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ,DD,GMTIIc,Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Trying to assess the price of a GOLD watch with respect to its actual gold content......is like trying to assess the price of a Rolls Royce with respect to the amount of steel in the car - what a load of crap!!!

Ever heard of labour, technology, skill, advertising, overheads and the amount of superlative work that goes into the making of a high-end watch......or a Rolls Royce?

End of story.

JJ
Totally agree, JJ - great post

116231 SS/RG DATEJUST 2007
118238 YG DAY-DATE 2007
116713 LN SS/YG GMT IIc 2008
116613 LB SS/YG SUBMARINER 2009
216570 SS EXPLORER II 2013
116520 SS DAYTONA 2014
OYSTERMANN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2009, 08:07 PM   #38
Bollinge
"TRF" Member

What about comparing like with like? E.g. a gold Rolex v a platinum Rolex.

The "labour, technology, skill, advertising, overheads and the amount of superlative work that goes into the making of a high-end watch" are identical.

Yet the platinum Rolex is always more expensive, even when platinum was selling for less than gold. Currently platinum is around $1250 compared to around $950 for gold.
Bollinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2009, 04:51 PM   #39
GeneveJewellers
"TRF" Member

Gold is always sold by weight in the past and present ! Cars have never been sold by weight, you compare a Rolls Royce to a Rolex. Rolex is a mass produced watch, around 600,000-900,000 are made each year by machines. Rolls Royce are hand made in small numbers and the company mark is very little compared to Rolex, where a pound of 904 stainless steel cost $10 and watch is retails for $6000 dollars. Gold Rolex has at most $4000 dollars of gold and retails for about $25,000, this means that Rolex make more profit on the steel watches.
GeneveJewellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2009, 05:00 PM   #40
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollinge View Post
What about comparing like with like? E.g. a gold Rolex v a platinum Rolex.

The "labour, technology, skill, advertising, overheads and the amount of superlative work that goes into the making of a high-end watch" are identical.

Yet the platinum Rolex is always more expensive, even when platinum was selling for less than gold. Currently platinum is around $1250 compared to around $950 for gold.
I think that the equipment needed to fabricate these watches (platinum vs. gold vs. SS) is what makes them more expensive.
They obviously make more gold and SS versions, so the machinery used for those are utilised way more, so that can bring the total cost per piece down. Yet the platinum pieces, which I assume require different equipment to stamp out, assemble and polish have less use, so that brings the cost per watch up.

Just my

Watch my Rolex repair video: https://youtu.be/jDnaotCTpTA
Vanessa CW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2009, 05:12 PM   #41
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
I think that the equipment needed to fabricate these watches (platinum vs. gold vs. SS) is what makes them more expensive.
They obviously make more gold and SS versions, so the machinery used for those are utilised way more, so that can bring the total cost per piece down. Yet the platinum pieces, which I assume require different equipment to stamp out, assemble and polish have less use, so that brings the cost per watch up.

Just my
Thanks, Vanessa......coming from an expert and authority like you, we'll accept your word as gospel truth!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote