The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 10 May 2024, 04:00 PM   #1
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
This or that; a VC conundrum

Hey guys I wanted to get some feedback from our awesome TRF family on a couple of VC pieces I’m considering. They are both amazing in their own way, and as much as I’d love to be able to go with the usual TRF answer of “get both!” funds definitely won’t allow as even adding one of these will be a significant amount of money for me. Taking into consideration my current collection would you add:

A VC 4500V blue dial

Or…

A VC7900V black dial

I know some may ask about adding a 7900V blue dial, but I feel like the white GMT hand falls a little flat and clutters up that beautiful blue dial. If anyone owns one and feels differently I’d love to hear opinions since I’ve sadly not been able to see any of these in the metal yet.

Photos below of my current collection. Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 04:11 PM   #2
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Without doubt the 4500V not a fan of that GMT

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 04:13 PM   #3
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Black 7920
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 05:09 PM   #4
Matteo E
"TRF" Member

If I was getting both at retail 4500v, if actual prices are similar 7920.
Matteo E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 06:33 PM   #5
Dangitsawesome
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC Overseas 5520V
black 7920V got my vote!
Dangitsawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 09:23 PM   #6
Easy E

The blue 4500, all day. It’s amazing
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 10:01 PM   #7
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Neither. I like the watches and have owned VC before but they just don't do anything for me based on cost relevant to what they are. I get it, they are VC and have a better movement and finishing. OK, what is that worth? Not what they are charging. Ask VC what a standard service is on these watches and how long it takes. Outside of acceptable parameters for me. I would also ask a few Trusted Sellers what they would give me on a trade or sell. So many factors other than our passion for beautiful watches figure into purchases, at least for me at this point. Not sure what you are paying but there are so many other watches I would be interested in from mainstream brands that this one would not register. For the money, I would look at the WG Rolex Yachtmaster 42 on OF or a pre-owned SS Daytona. Just my thoughts and not trying to be a downer. Let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 10:23 PM   #8
Bmats

I like the 4500/4520—clean dial and blue shines. My current favorite piece.

If you look at an OF Rolex like the poster above said, I’d gravitate toward the Daytona or Skydweller instead—your wrist looks like it could handle the skydweller heft. Yachmaster does nothing for me and seems like an overpriced sub. And I’m not sure how a pre-owned Daytona has ever been described as a good bet on “cost relevant to what they are” unless we’re only focusing on secondary pricing. But that’s why we all have options for different tastes and ways to collect.
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 10:46 PM   #9
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Black DT
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 10:52 PM   #10
BETRNSX
"TRF" Member

You already are on the fence with the blue one, so go with black. You'll end up wearing that and enjoying it more.
BETRNSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 10:55 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Steve, because you already have the Speedy I’d go with the 4500 blue dial. That’s a great looking watch.

That said, VC chrono (panda dial) is spectacular. If you ever get a chance to try one on your should
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2024, 11:32 PM   #12
Jmaguire17
"TRF" Member

The lacquered blue on the vacheron overseas is truly beautiful and resembles FPJ chronometre blue. Pair that with a white strap and it's something you don't have anything close to.
Jmaguire17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 12:05 AM   #13
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaguire17 View Post
The lacquered blue on the vacheron overseas is truly beautiful and resembles FPJ chronometre blue. Pair that with a white strap and it's something you don't have anything close to.
I have it in my head that I read somewhere that the FPJ and VC dials are made by the same folks.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 01:11 AM   #14
Audevache
"TRF" Member

As an owner of the 7900v silver dial my vote goes towards the DT. It is such an awesome complication.

I find the 4500 dial to be a bit empty. That the blue is special, but it is just a bit too flashy for me. Just be warned, once you enter holy trinity territory, Rolex all over sudden becomes much less appealing.
Audevache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 01:40 AM   #15
WatchTimes

Watch: It's a Rolex!
4500 V for me...
7900 dial just looks very cluttered to me.
5520 is a winner!

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 02:30 AM   #16
Carguy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
Without doubt the 4500V not a fan of that GMT
Thanks Berty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
Black 7920
Thanks Chet!

In retrospect I should have made this a poll lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo E View Post
If I was getting both at retail 4500v, if actual prices are similar 7920.
Definitely a factor I’m considering as well. I know things are loosening but I’m sure it’s still quite a wait for a 4500v blue dial from a VC boutique as a first piece (if they’ll even allocate one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangitsawesome View Post
black 7920V got my vote!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
The blue 4500, all day. It’s amazing
Can’t wait to see one in person!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Neither. I like the watches and have owned VC before but they just don't do anything for me based on cost relevant to what they are. I get it, they are VC and have a better movement and finishing. OK, what is that worth? Not what they are charging. Ask VC what a standard service is on these watches and how long it takes. Outside of acceptable parameters for me. I would also ask a few Trusted Sellers what they would give me on a trade or sell. So many factors other than our passion for beautiful watches figure into purchases, at least for me at this point. Not sure what you are paying but there are so many other watches I would be interested in from mainstream brands that this one would not register. For the money, I would look at the WG Rolex Yachtmaster 42 on OF or a pre-owned SS Daytona. Just my thoughts and not trying to be a downer. Let us know what you decide.
Hi William not a downer in the least; I value everyone’s input!!

I hear you on the service costs and the value debate. I agree a SkyD would be an awesome add, but my main issue is I want something really nice that’s not a Rolex to wear at work. I find myself not wearing my Rolex watches during the week because it can give off the wrong vibe with clients and subordinates, so I mainly wear my Speedy or my Tudor. The thing I like about the VC is since it’s not a hype/Instagram/HipHop watch most people won’t know what it is or what it costs. That reasoning is why I’m not looking at an AP even though I also really like their pieces.
Old 11 May 2024, 02:38 AM   #17
Carguy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Steve, because you already have the Speedy I’d go with the 4500 blue dial. That’s a great looking watch.

That said, VC chrono (panda dial) is spectacular. If you ever get a chance to try one on your should
Will definitely try to find one to look at! It is one that has caught my eye before for sure
Old 11 May 2024, 05:31 AM   #18
Submariner2019
"TRF" Member

Hi Steve,
Both of the vc your eying are excellent choices. I have the black dial 4500v and a good friend of mine has the dual time in silver. We both got ours from the nyc boutique. For me the wait list was still open for the 4500v in black dial. I was ok with this and got it about 1 year 7 months later. I received it last April. My friend who had come with me to pick up the piece expressed interest in the dual time and was ok with whatever dial color came in. He got his about 5 months later. My point is all 3 dial colors are great and I would take whatever color they offer you first. It’ll be a surprise for you and I’m sure you’ll love whatever you get.
You’re right about them not catching too much attention. That’s one of the reasons I have one. Very under the radar. The micro adjustment on bracelet, quick strap change capability and fact that it comes with leather, rubber and bracelet really changes up the watch. It makes our Rolexes look cheap by comparison, and is miles ahead of ap and pp as far as water resistance and anti magnetism go. Warranty for 8 years and at least at the nyc boutique; great buying experience/service. If you are buying second and have a choice on which to get right away, I would say the 4500v just because you have a couple gmts already
Please keep us posted Steve!
Submariner2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2024, 12:08 PM   #19
Carguy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner2019 View Post
Hi Steve,
Both of the vc your eying are excellent choices. I have the black dial 4500v and a good friend of mine has the dual time in silver. We both got ours from the nyc boutique. For me the wait list was still open for the 4500v in black dial. I was ok with this and got it about 1 year 7 months later. I received it last April. My friend who had come with me to pick up the piece expressed interest in the dual time and was ok with whatever dial color came in. He got his about 5 months later. My point is all 3 dial colors are great and I would take whatever color they offer you first. It’ll be a surprise for you and I’m sure you’ll love whatever you get.
You’re right about them not catching too much attention. That’s one of the reasons I have one. Very under the radar. The micro adjustment on bracelet, quick strap change capability and fact that it comes with leather, rubber and bracelet really changes up the watch. It makes our Rolexes look cheap by comparison, and is miles ahead of ap and pp as far as water resistance and anti magnetism go. Warranty for 8 years and at least at the nyc boutique; great buying experience/service. If you are buying second and have a choice on which to get right away, I would say the 4500v just because you have a couple gmts already
Please keep us posted Steve!
Thanks for the feedback!! And glad to hear from an owner that I’m not just imaging the under the radar part lol. I once had a guy come in wearing a PP 5726 (Nautilus annual calendar blue dial for anyone not wanting to look it up) and I commented on it. He said in the years he’d owned it I was the first person to ever comment on it or know what it was. He splits his time between NYC and Lake Tahoe, and he said it’s the only piece (in a impressive collection from the sounds of it) that he wears around NYC with 0 fears of being robbed for it. Said he has a watch box full of Rolex pieces he only wears in Tahoe because he’d be more scared wearing an SS sub on the streets in NYC vs. this and some of his other, more obscure pieces.

When we were done talking my colleague (who knows I’m a huge watch nerd) asked me what the big deal was about that watch. When I pulled up Chrono24 his jaw was on the ground lol.

That’s the effect I want out of this piece. Something really nice I can actually wear and enjoy, and IYKYK, but will be completely invisible to most.
Old 11 May 2024, 12:29 PM   #20
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

I vote for the DT. As you can see with my icon, that the favorite in my collection even after owning it for 2 years. I have the same situation as you in the office and feel the same about my Rolex. After getting the VC, I find myself wearing it a lot when I go to the office. I was recently offered a WG Yacht Master but turned it down because it just feel less special than the VC and the VC is more under the radar.
Old 12 May 2024, 05:26 AM   #21
Carguy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaster View Post
I vote for the DT. As you can see with my icon, that the favorite in my collection even after owning it for 2 years. I have the same situation as you in the office and feel the same about my Rolex. After getting the VC, I find myself wearing it a lot when I go to the office. I was recently offered a WG Yacht Master but turned it down because it just feel less special than the VC and the VC is more under the radar.
Thanks Ed! So do you find the VC flies under the radar with most people? That seems to be the general consensus but I always like hearing from guys that own it (especially when it’s the exact configuration I’m considering lol)

Any FOMO of not getting a blue dial?
Old 12 May 2024, 07:08 AM   #22
Audevache
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy87 View Post
Thanks Ed! So do you find the VC flies under the radar with most people? That seems to be the general consensus but I always like hearing from guys that own it (especially when it’s the exact configuration I’m considering lol)
My 7900v was recognised only once, by a former co-worker who is also a watch nerd (his daily is an Oysterquarz). Beyond that, particularly in the silver dial version is quite discrete, somebody even thought it was a datejust. I like it that way. Not the same when I wear my RO Jumbo.
Audevache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2024, 07:49 AM   #23
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy87 View Post

Any FOMO of not getting a blue dial?
No FOMO. I use the Dual Time function a lot, and like the red tips of the DT and AM/PM hands. I feel that the blue dial is too monochromatic for the DT design. It would have been great to have the thinner case of the 7920V vs 7900V, but I wanted the watch back then and no regrets.
Old 12 May 2024, 07:54 AM   #24
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Interesting choice Steve. I am in the same position as you. I try not to wear my Rolexs to work. I usually go with my Tudor. However, I feel it ruins the hobby. I would go with the dual time. There is a lot of blank space in the regular Overseas. Some say the dual time lacks symmetry in the pushers, which is fair. I go with their Panda Chrono, if that is an option.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 10:43 AM   #25
Nathan_
"TRF" Member

I actually went into the VC boutique to place a deposit on a blue 4500V and walked out with a deposit on the black 7900V. I felt the same way you do that the blue looks best on 45XX and black on the 79XX. Good luck on your choice, both excellent pieces!
Nathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2024, 02:14 PM   #26
Carguy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_ View Post
I actually went into the VC boutique to place a deposit on a blue 4500V and walked out with a deposit on the black 7900V. I felt the same way you do that the blue looks best on 45XX and black on the 79XX. Good luck on your choice, both excellent pieces!
Congrats on getting on the list; hope your wait is short so I can live vicariously through your incoming thread soon lol. If I may ask what was the requested deposit amount? You can PM me too if you’d prefer to not post that here.
Old 13 May 2024, 02:15 PM   #27
Carguy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovannibravo View Post
Interesting choice Steve. I am in the same position as you. I try not to wear my Rolexs to work. I usually go with my Tudor. However, I feel it ruins the hobby. I would go with the dual time. There is a lot of blank space in the regular Overseas. Some say the dual time lacks symmetry in the pushers, which is fair. I go with their Panda Chrono, if that is an option.
I do like the Panda chrono but I never use my chronos so the dual time is a complication I’d actually use. Who knows, maybe once I see one in person I’ll be swayed.
Old 14 May 2024, 04:41 AM   #28
Submariner2019
"TRF" Member

Hi Steve,
The way it went for me getting my 4500v black dial was as follows:
1. I Called and expressed interest. Was told I could get on list for black dial 4500v
2. 1 yr 7months later was called by boutique to tell me my piece would be arriving within 4-6 weeks. Do I still want it? “Yes!” We will send you a link for the down payment (I believe it was 40%)
3. They called about a month later stating it had arrived.
4. I went and got it!
It was so refreshing from how Rolex does it. They never stringed me along or tried to sell me anything I didn’t want.
I’m sure you’ll enjoy it when it comes in for you!
Submariner2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 12:11 PM   #29
key
"TRF" Member

4500v blue gets my vote as it has better proportions and the deep blue dial is just fantastic.
key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 11:52 PM   #30
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Definitely the VC Overseas three-hander with blue dial. The dial on the 7900V looks cluttered, IMHO.

Tough to beat the beauty and simplicity of the blue 4500V, and the prices on the secondary market have come down a lot recently, to where they seem like a good deal.

I'd suggest a pre-2021 version with the true lacquered blue dial. It's a lot more beautiful than the newer dials, which have darker highlights and are more sunburst. (I've owned both versions).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VC-SUN-TRF-2018.jpg (287.1 KB, 84 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote