The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 1 January 2023, 02:40 AM   #1
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Florentine President bracelet?

Did Rolex ever do the Florentine decoration on President bracelets?

I assume the below is all a custom finish - I’ve never seen it on DD case sides (nor on a President bracelet’s link sides). Iirc, the only other Florentine President bracelet I’ve seen had the finish only on the center links, like a bark President.

I’m inclined to think there were no factory Florentine President bracelets, and that this Florentine finish was used only on their “brick” bracelets. Anyone know different?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg CF571931-96AB-4D07-998E-1B1DC490B752.jpeg (121.2 KB, 479 views)
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2023, 02:57 AM   #2
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Hm, not sure about that one but it actually looks pretty "correct" to me. While I think you're right that 4-digit Florentines only had the finish on brick bracelets, I think Florentine 18038's had factory bracelets with finished outer links. Here's one from Bob's:

powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2023, 06:52 AM   #3
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
The black dial looks like custom diamonds so maybe the whole watch had custom work done.
Old 1 January 2023, 08:36 AM   #4
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Florentine President bracelet?

This is correct everything else I am looking at if aftermarket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 January 2023, 11:56 AM   #5
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
This is correct everything else I am looking at if aftermarket

Thanks for all your expertise, David. It's very much valued.

I assume you mean it's all correct except the crystal, which I guess would have had a cyclops.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2023, 12:52 PM   #6
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Yes

Old 1 January 2023, 01:11 PM   #7
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

Is this what's also referred to as the Morellis finish?
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2023, 01:13 AM   #8
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks David - I’m always pleased to see information from you (even if here, the correct one may only confuse me further!)

Generally, an 180x’s 4th digit indicates the bezel type (1802/smooth, 1803/fluted, 1806/Florentine, 1807/bark, etc.). Your example looks like it has a bark bezel - I assume it’s an 1806 (Florentine) case, with an 1807’s bark bezel swapped in? I would’ve expected any 1806 to originally have both the case and bezel “Florentine-d,” like the bottom two photos below.

Was Florentine the only DD decoration to also have its pattern on the case lugs? I can’t think of any others. Also, perhaps bark was the only factory decoration offered on any 5-digit DD models - ?

Incroyable - I’m sure I’ve seen every type of DD decoration called “Morelli’s” somewhere, but I believe the actual Morelli’s is the pattern of dots like the first two below, and is designated as reference 1811. (Let’s hope David can either confirm or refute that …)

Here’s wishing everyone a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2023 - May it bring us all more great watches and less confusion!
Old 2 January 2023, 09:35 AM   #9
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiclay View Post
Thanks David - I’m always pleased to see information from you (even if here, the correct one may only confuse me further!)

Generally, an 180x’s 4th digit indicates the bezel type (1802/smooth, 1803/fluted, 1806/Florentine, 1807/bark, etc.). Your example looks like it has a bark bezel - I assume it’s an 1806 (Florentine) case, with an 1807’s bark bezel swapped in? I would’ve expected any 1806 to originally have both the case and bezel “Florentine-d,” like the bottom two photos below.

Was Florentine the only DD decoration to also have its pattern on the case lugs? I can’t think of any others. Also, perhaps bark was the only factory decoration offered on any 5-digit DD models - ?

Incroyable - I’m sure I’ve seen every type of DD decoration called “Morelli’s” somewhere, but I believe the actual Morelli’s is the pattern of dots like the first two below, and is designated as reference 1811. (Let’s hope David can either confirm or refute that …)

Here’s wishing everyone a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2023 - May it bring us all more great watches and less confusion!

Yes your correct wrong bezel but you asked if florentine bands in presidential style exists. Hence the photo correct 1806 with replaced 1807 bezel.

Your photos of morellis finish are correct small dots. Model 1811 but there were variants a jubilee band exists in morellis finish.

Florentine is the only case finishing I have seen

Old 2 January 2023, 11:24 AM   #10
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

Did these finishes only come in Yellow Gold or were there White Gold/Platinum versions?

I know there are Rose Gold and White Gold barked Presidents but not sure about the others.
Old 2 January 2023, 01:20 PM   #11
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incroyable12 View Post
Did these finishes only come in Yellow Gold or were there White Gold/Platinum versions?

I know there are Rose Gold and White Gold barked Presidents but not sure about the others.
There's me thinking I knew something about 180xs. This thread has made me realize I know zilch.

These Florentine/Morellis models really are unicorns.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2023, 01:47 AM   #12
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Naturally, as soon as I say I’ve never seen any other decoration on DD cases beyond Florentine, I stumble across this!

It doesn’t even quite match any of Rob/powerfunk’s 15 bezel patterns, but I feel like I may have seen this pattern on a bezel before, though not on a case.

Thus I’ll *guess* this is not factory, but if not, it’s certainly very nice work …
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 43356D32-5F86-4488-96E7-E12AE76F4E32.jpeg (116.8 KB, 346 views)
Old 3 January 2023, 09:01 AM   #13
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Where’s the link to the bezels no need to double up I like to see what’s there. If you can’t find it let me hit the books and get back to the forum later.

Old 3 January 2023, 10:54 AM   #14
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
Where’s the link to the bezels no need to double up I like to see what’s there. If you can’t find it let me hit the books and get back to the forum later.
Of course, and thanks 1M as always!
By the way, were there Florentine 5-digits, or only 1806?

Here’s the link, the bezels are listed for OP Dates, but some are gold and might have been fitted to DD36es?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ighlight=Bezel
Old 3 January 2023, 12:20 PM   #15
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Of course, and thanks 1M as always!
By the way, were there Florentine 5-digits, or only 1806?

Here’s the link, the bezels are listed for OP Dates, but some are gold and might have been fitted to DD36es?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ighlight=Bezel
Interesting that many of these seem to have been for the Datejusts rather than the Day-Dates.
Old 3 January 2023, 07:38 PM   #16
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Naturally, as soon as I say I’ve never seen any other decoration on DD cases beyond Florentine, I stumble across this!

It doesn’t even quite match any of Rob/powerfunk’s 15 bezel patterns, but I feel like I may have seen this pattern on a bezel before, though not on a case.

Thus I’ll *guess* this is not factory, but if not, it’s certainly very nice work …

Hi clay I am off work so have a bit of time. Unfortunately my archives are original Rolex manuals and not digital.
It takes time but I have identified at least 40 bezel patterns. (Not all for day date) and over 30 yellow gold patterns.

I can’t get the scan derail sorry. But bezel is
This I think. It is clearer in the original manual. I have to add to powerfunk’s. thread at some stage. I might use the work scanner it’s an large expensive one and may work better.

Old 6 September 2023, 02:57 AM   #17
mrnguyen76
"TRF" Member

Different Florentine Design???

So a watch just like this came into my possession with a WG diamond bezel. Similar 6,xxx,xxx serial. The "florentine" finish is identical (with the diamond cuts). The finish is perfectly symmetrical throughout out the bracelet. Is this original? What are the odds of finding two watches with identical "custom" finishes?
mrnguyen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 04:51 AM   #18
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnguyen76 View Post
Is this original? What are the odds of finding two watches with identical "custom" finishes?
Mr. Nguyen, I used to have this very similar one, and I had similar thoughts, but ultimately I decided it was not a factory finish.

BTW for bracelet fans, Eric Wind is selling off some of his bracelet collection - He has some beauties (though most are 17-18mm). Scroll past all the watches, the bracelets are below them at https://www.windvintage.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1115.jpeg (83.8 KB, 221 views)
Old 6 September 2023, 05:24 AM   #19
mrnguyen76
"TRF" Member

Thank you for your input.
mrnguyen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2023, 12:05 PM   #20
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnguyen76 View Post
Thank you for your input.

Not original sorry

Old 14 May 2024, 12:19 AM   #21
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Here’s another DD with (what looks somewhat like) the Florentine finish on bezel and President center links, which is at least the correct bracelet placement per David above.

I suspect that the bezel and bracelet here are not factory finishes though, the pattern looks almost like a hybrid of the Morelli ‘dots’ and Florentine hashmarks. If these are factory Florentine finishes, I assume they would have originally been fitted to an 1806 reference, with the lugs also Florentine finished. (This is listed as a smooth bezel 1802.)

Here’s the link -
https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/rolex...id20208895.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2747-compressed.jpeg (86.6 KB, 53 views)
Old Today, 06:51 AM   #22
rover26c
2024 Pledge Member

For sale DJ florentine finish.
rover26c is online now   Reply With Quote