The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 February 2024, 12:24 AM   #1
GJG854
"TRF" Member

Day Date White Gold vs. Platinum (128239 vs. 128236)

Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase a Day-Date this year. I like the new fluted bezel, 36 size, with the blue ombre face set with diamonds. My issue is whether to go with the white gold ($40950) or platinum ($61,950).

From what I can tell the watches look almost identical (I know the platinum looks different, better?, in person). Is it worth spending the extra cash for the platinum? Anyone have experience on this?

I had always planned to go with the ice blue face for a Day Date, because I think that face/dial is exclusive to the platinum watches. But I really like the darker blue ombre face with diamonds. I just feel a little bummed that if I buy the platinum version, the white gold one is available with the same dial for so much less. Not sure if I can justify the extra cost of the platinum.

Interested to hear any feedback from the forums if people have faced a similar choice or owned the platinum or white gold day-date.

Thanks!
GJG854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 02:11 AM   #2
GJG854
"TRF" Member

No opinions here!? Did I do something wrong in terms of posting etiquette or just no interest in these watches on the forum?
GJG854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 02:14 AM   #3
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJG854 View Post
No opinions here!? Did I do something wrong in terms of posting etiquette or just no interest in these watches on the forum?
These aren't two of the most talked about/purchased watches on here.

That being said, platinum because of the wrist presence 100%.
jgottsman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 02:17 AM   #4
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not much to discuss. If you want the weight/heft of platinum I guess it makes sense.

Personally, I think gold watches with bracelets are pretty heavy already, and platinum just throws it over the top.
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 02:21 AM   #5
tsekh
"TRF" Member

If you want to ice blue dial, then platinum is the only option.

If the dial that you want is available on both white gold and platinum, I don't see the reason to go for platinum. Some say that platinum looks "whiter" and "brighter" compared to white gold, but I have not seen them together in person and I can't tell the differences even looking at side by side photos. Which is to say, I highly doubt that anyone can tell the difference between a white gold DD and a platinum DD without having the two next to each other.

Both platinum and white gold are soft metal, so both of them are more susceptible to scratches than stainless steel (not that DD is available in stainless steel...) and I'd be hesitant to say that one is more durable than the other. They are both heavy, platinum slightly more so.

Does the higher intrinsic value of platinum (the metal, not the watch) worth the extra $20k to you? If not, get the white gold version.
tsekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 02:30 AM   #6
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsekh View Post
If you want to ice blue dial, then platinum is the only option.

If the dial that you want is available on both white gold and platinum, I don't see the reason to go for platinum. Some say that platinum looks "whiter" and "brighter" compared to white gold, but I have not seen them together in person and I can't tell the differences even looking at side by side photos. Which is to say, I highly doubt that anyone can tell the difference between a white gold DD and a platinum DD without having the two next to each other.

Both platinum and white gold are soft metal, so both of them are more susceptible to scratches than stainless steel (not that DD is available in stainless steel...) and I'd be hesitant to say that one is more durable than the other. They are both heavy, platinum slightly more so.

Does the higher intrinsic value of platinum (the metal, not the watch) worth the extra $20k to you? If not, get the white gold version.

I’d add to that excellent post that you can get WG at an AD without too much difficulty. Platinum is very hard to get without a large spend history, at least in my area.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 03:28 AM   #7
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Platinum for me, and I just put my money where my mouth is and recently added a 128236.

The brightness of the platinum and the ice blue dial - it was a clear winner for me. I also love the presence of the ice blue dial paired with the now-fluted bezel on the platinum DD.

If you don’t mind the additional weight of the platinum, I highly recommend it.

The white gold is great, although the color of Rolex white gold has a tint of yellowish to it in certain lighting. For this watch, I wanted the crispness of Pt.

Old 21 February 2024, 05:10 AM   #8
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona

@nyc2la my jaw just hit the floor. That is gorgeous! I too, prefer the 36mm. I’ve been eyeing the previous version 118206 but yours has caught my attention. Well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 06:34 AM   #9
EvelynWaugh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
@nyc2la my jaw just hit the floor. That is gorgeous! I too, prefer the 36mm. I’ve been eyeing the previous version 118206 but yours has caught my attention. Well done

It may be a bit of challenge finding a good complete unpolished example but the classic OG DD36 in platinum is nice. The domed bezel is subtle and makes it sporty enough to be worn very casually.
Also the president bracelet end links of the 118206 wears large and give great wrist presence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45.jpg (259.5 KB, 541 views)
EvelynWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 06:45 AM   #10
Little machines
"TRF" Member

Both are nice DD ! The platinum would be my pick for all of the above mentioned. Dial, weight and overall look! Whether it's the fluted or smooth bezel both are beautiful! Good luck!
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 06:52 AM   #11
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
I'd go with the same configuration as nyc2la if funds allow. Absolutely stunning.
I like the 36mm WG with the Blue Ombre dial and almost picked one up (went with RG Brown Ombre instead). WG does have a bit of a yellow-ish tint that is more noticeable on the Oyster bracelet IMO
Old 21 February 2024, 06:56 AM   #12
jrobart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Platinum for me, and I just put my money where my mouth is and recently added a 128236.

The brightness of the platinum and the ice blue dial - it was a clear winner for me. I also love the presence of the ice blue dial paired with the now-fluted bezel on the platinum DD.

The white gold is great, although the color of Rolex white gold has a tint of yellowish to it in certain lighting. For this watch, I wanted the crispness of Pt.

Recently sold a yellow gold DD 18238. Found it a bit too flashy in yellow gold. Have been searching for a platinum DD with the fluted bezel. Was certain that I wanted the 40mm, but seeing this 36 makes me think!

If I may ask, what size is your wrist?
Patek: ref 2533
jrobart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 07:09 AM   #13
Colorado_kid
2024 Pledge Member

While I don’t own any DDs, if I had to pick one right now it’d be the 40 white gold Meteorite dial.

I don’t see them discussed much on here.

Colorado_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 07:34 AM   #14
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Absolute stunner. Huge congrats my man.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 09:11 AM   #15
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Personally, I've been eyeing a DD40. My AD let me handle a platinum ice blue dial with sticks and it was gorgeous, and certainly very heavy. I've also considered the WG DD40 with blue romans. The price difference between them is $21,800. I could buy two SS Rolexes for that, or go with the TT GMT I like and a Grand Seiko.

Unless you have to have the ice blue dial, it's a lot of extra money for the same basic look.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 09:24 AM   #16
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oystersteel92 View Post
Personally, I've been eyeing a DD40. My AD let me handle a platinum ice blue dial with sticks and it was gorgeous, and certainly very heavy. I've also considered the WG DD40 with blue romans. The price difference between them is $21,800. I could buy two SS Rolexes for that, or go with the TT GMT I like and a Grand Seiko.

Unless you have to have the ice blue dial, it's a lot of extra money for the same basic look.

My head totally agrees with you but my heart does not. lol

Or you could just get a previous discontinued reference PT DD 36 and save well over 30k and buy 3 or 4 more watches.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2024, 11:06 AM   #17
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobart View Post
Recently sold a yellow gold DD 18238. Found it a bit too flashy in yellow gold. Have been searching for a platinum DD with the fluted bezel. Was certain that I wanted the 40mm, but seeing this 36 makes me think!

If I may ask, what size is your wrist?

Thank you! My wrist is ~7 3/8”. I’ve owned the platinum DD40 in the past, but I felt it wore just a bit too big for the watch that it is. It was a stunner, no doubt, but I prefer the DayDate in 36mm. With the 36mm, I get to see more of the beautiful President bracelet when looking down at the top of my wrist, and not just the watch head.
Old 21 February 2024, 11:07 AM   #18
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Absolute stunner. Huge congrats my man.

Thanks, my friend! I couldn’t resist it.
Old 14 May 2024, 03:43 PM   #19
subguy
"TRF" Member

I am waitlisted on the 36mm iceblue with truncated Romans. I had been on a waitlist for the 40mm version, since it came out over a year ago, but switched to the 36 when it was announced this spring in Geneva.

Any idea on how to get this? I do have a good history with my AD but I haven't scored so far. Are any of the on-line dealers ok? I actually found the watch at Jazztime but the reputation of them seems bad. Whom can I trust if I can't get it from my AD? Bob's is ok? Any others worth getting it from in "brand new' in box condition?

I keep seeing some of you are getting them from their ADs so I wonder what more I can do. Any help or suggestions please?
subguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 09:45 PM   #20
Geffeilwitz
"TRF" Member

Personally, I've been admiring the DD40. My AD allowed me to hold a platinum ice blue dial with stick markers, and it was stunning, albeit noticeably weighty. I've also contemplated the WG DD40 with blue Romans. The price delta between them amounts to $21,800. With that sum, I could purchase two SS Rolexes, or opt for the TT GMT I fancy along with a Grand Seiko. Unless you're set on the ice blue dial, the added expense seems excessive for a similar aesthetic.
Geffeilwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 10:02 PM   #21
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
Quote:
Originally Posted by subguy View Post
I am waitlisted on the 36mm iceblue with truncated Romans. I had been on a waitlist for the 40mm version, since it came out over a year ago, but switched to the 36 when it was announced this spring in Geneva.

Any idea on how to get this? I do have a good history with my AD but I haven't scored so far. Are any of the on-line dealers ok? I actually found the watch at Jazztime but the reputation of them seems bad. Whom can I trust if I can't get it from my AD? Bob's is ok? Any others worth getting it from in "brand new' in box condition?

I keep seeing some of you are getting them from their ADs so I wonder what more I can do. Any help or suggestions please?

Don't buy from Jazztime. That guy is a bag. Find a trusted seller on here would likely be your best bet unless you can get into Moda Watch Club on facebook
jgottsman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 10:31 PM   #22
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hi All,

I'm looking to purchase a Day-Date this year. I like the new fluted bezel, 36 size, with the blue ombre face set with diamonds. My issue is whether to go with the white gold ($40950) or platinum ($61,950).

From what I can tell the watches look almost identical (I know the platinum looks different, better?, in person). Is it worth spending the extra cash for the platinum? Anyone have experience on this?

I had always planned to go with the ice blue face for a Day Date, because I think that face/dial is exclusive to the platinum watches. But I really like the darker blue ombre face with diamonds. I just feel a little bummed that if I buy the platinum version, the white gold one is available with the same dial for so much less. Not sure if I can justify the extra cost of the platinum.

Interested to hear any feedback from the forums if people have faced a similar choice or owned the platinum or white gold day-date.

Thanks!
Do the new MoP dials with baguettes make your decision more difficult?

For me, I love the Ice Blue dial for the Playdate, but a MoP for any of the other DDs is worth considering.
Laine V38 SS - JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 10:38 PM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

The white gold is great, although the color of Rolex white gold has a tint of yellowish to it in certain lighting. For this watch, I wanted the crispness of Pt.]
Beautiful
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 11:09 PM   #24
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsekh View Post
Platinum has been cheaper than gold for quite a while now, though the metal’s value is hardly significant; generally it is less than 10% the RRP of a PM watch
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2024, 11:24 PM   #25
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I will chime in and just say correct fit is paramount with platinum. If the watch is even a tad loose, the weight of platinum will cause the watch to turn on the wrist. Too tight and it is uncomfortable. WG is much more forgiving in fit latitude which is a big deal where there is no clasp bracelet adjustment.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2024, 01:44 AM   #26
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
I have had multiple white gold and also steel watches, the difference in hue between white gold and steel is present. I also had the platina daytona, the hue of the platina is more like steel but much heavier. I personally would only go for platina if you take the ice blue dial. Any other dial I would go for white gold.
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote