The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 May 2024, 02:16 AM   #1
nemoore23
"TRF" Member

Rolex CPO Switching to Two Year Old Watches?

I'm hoping to trade my 2022 Starbucks to my AD for a 2024 but since CPO Subs need to be three years old, I have to wait until May 2025. However, he did mention that he believes that Rolex might be switching the age of a CPO to two years in the coming months. Has anyone else heard this rumor?
nemoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 03:40 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
A Dealer can accept a trade-in for any watch that they want to, whenever they want to, there is no "Rolex requirement".

CPO is a program for Dealers to choose, or not choose, to submit older watches into. No reason to think that they would go to two years for qualifying examples as a two-year watch is still almost new.
Old 23 May 2024, 04:05 AM   #3
EzraPound
"TRF" Member

It seems entertaining that a CPO watch will then maybe have more original factory warranty than its own CPO warranty.

EzraPound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 04:15 AM   #4
Oceanlover914
"TRF" Member

Watch: None at the moment
I don't see why the age would really matter. The price that ADs are selling the CPO are far and above what you can get a new or even a nearly new one from a grey market dealer on here. It is insane to pay the CPO prices. Just my opinion. And I find it funny that a local AD has 50 or more CPO of all the hard-to-get models, yet they have no new ones to sell at MSRP. Oh wait, perhaps it's because they are asking, and can make way way way more for the CPO then they could ever make on the MSRP.
Old 23 May 2024, 05:08 AM   #5
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanlover914 View Post
I don't see why the age would really matte. The price that ADs are selling the CPO are far and above what you can get a new or even a nearly new one from a grey market dealer on here. It is insane to pay the CPO prices. Just my opinion. And I find it funny that a local AD has 50 or more CPO of all the hard-to-get models, yet they have no new ones to sell at MSRP. Oh wait, perhaps it's because they are asking, and can make way way way more for the CPO then they could ever make on the MSRP.
Rolex is thinking we were all born yesterday, a fool and his money
Old 23 May 2024, 05:20 AM   #6
Oceanlover914
"TRF" Member

Watch: None at the moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Rolex is thinking we were all born yesterday, a fool and his money

Very true. I wonder how much control over the CPO price is Rolex and how much is the AD deciding what they want to price a CPO watch. I guess they hope that no one gets educated on a forum like this, and they hope you get so excited to see model after model in the CPO case that you will just whip out your wallet and pony up $20K for a sub.
Old 23 May 2024, 05:54 AM   #7
fivedime
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB58 925, OP39, DD
Rolex allows CPO dealers to charge whatever they want/believe the market will bear. In that light, it should be obvious to anyone with a functioning brain cell (or need to post snide comments on *any* subject) why Rolex has an age requirement for CPO-elligible watches. No idea if they will be changing 3 years to 2 (nor why they would…or wouldn’t)…but one thing to consider, once a dealer gets a trade in for CPO, it still needs to be refurbished, plus sent back to Rolex for verification (whether or not the work was done locally)…so a dealer accepting a trade-in has some dwell time before that watch will ever get put out for sale (as CPO, anyway)…so a bit over 2- years old (but not quite 3) may not be a sticking point for them at all.
fivedime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 07:16 AM   #8
Ten Ten & 32
"TRF" Member

The ‘3 year old’ rule is in place to stop customers buying a watch today & selling it back to them instantly for a profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ten Ten & 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 08:14 AM   #9
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

No, the "3 year rule" is to stop AD's from putting all their new stock into the CPO display and charge more than MSRP for it.
Old 23 May 2024, 08:54 AM   #10
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoore23 View Post
I'm hoping to trade my 2022 Starbucks to my AD for a 2024 but since CPO Subs need to be three years old, I have to wait until May 2025. However, he did mention that he believes that Rolex might be switching the age of a CPO to two years in the coming months. Has anyone else heard this rumor?
Why you want to trade a good watch from 2022, and get the same one again, starbucks but a 2024 model?
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 09:09 AM   #11
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzraPound View Post
It seems entertaining that a CPO watch will then maybe have more original factory warranty than its own CPO warranty.

Excellent point, and the reason they probably won’t lower the age to 2 years for the CPO program. It would confuse things. As far as any AD accepting trades, I don’t think that’s true. My AD does not sell used watches, at all, so I can’t see them accepting trades, only to have to resell them somehow. It would mean extra work for them.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 09:28 AM   #12
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex went to scrambled (random) serial number years ago, which seems convenient for CPO even for watches less than 3 years old, especially since they DO NOT give you original paperwork, which means you will never know how old the watch really is.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 09:45 AM   #13
train-time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
Rolex went to scrambled (random) serial number years ago, which seems convenient for CPO even for watches less than 3 years old, especially since they DO NOT give you original paperwork, which means you will never know how old the watch really is.
I haven't seen anything come up on the eventuality that, as all collectible and expensive objects, a pre-owned CPO piece will be listed for resale on some site and should there be no original papers to date the piece then how will that be received? After all, it's going to happen!
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 10:03 AM   #14
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
I wonder how they are listed, when being sold. Is there a year of manufacture given at time of sale? Rolex must have a master data base, listing year of manufacture, if given the serial number. I would imagine that’s how they check if your watch is still under warranty, when sent for service.

Kat

KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 04:46 PM   #15
Scottyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: GP Laureato
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I wonder how they are listed, when being sold. Is there a year of manufacture given at time of sale? Rolex must have a master data base, listing year of manufacture, if given the serial number. I would imagine that’s how they check if your watch is still under warranty, when sent for service.

Kat

Of course they do. If not, how would they manage warranty periods on watches? Rolex will have a database for all products sold, just like most large manufacturers of such items.
Scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 09:49 PM   #16
77T

Quote:

The direction of the thread has gotten into tangents that veered off your question.

No, haven't heard that the Rolex CPO program is changing the way your ADs sales rep opined.

I suspect there was some confusion in the "back and forth" while you two talked about trading in your watch.

You do not have to wait until 2025 to trade-in your watch. The AD has many ways to manage their incoming trade-ins. For one, they can deal it right back into the secondary market channels.

What that means in practical terms is you would get almost the same trade-in value as you would get by selling it to DavidSW or other sellers. That is the quickest path methinks.

Find a TRF trusted seller who has the 2024 model you want and negotiate a deal that includes trading in your watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2024, 03:56 AM   #17
nemoore23
"TRF" Member

Everyone, thanks for the replys. So, my AD will only purchase a used Rolex if it qualifies for the CPO program. That's why they won't purchase mine until next year. For them to trade me a new 2024 for my used 2022 is actually a good deal for them considering they'd have about the same amount of money invested in mine as they would a 2024, but could then sell mine for thousands more. I'm more than willing to wait a few months to see if the 2 year goes into affect. I just don't want to wait until next May. That's why I asked my initial question.
Old 24 May 2024, 08:53 AM   #18
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Everyone, thanks for the replys. So, my AD will only purchase a used Rolex if it qualifies for the CPO program. That's why they won't purchase mine until next year. For them to trade me a new 2024 for my used 2022 is actually a good deal for them considering they'd have about the same amount of money invested in mine as they would a 2024, but could then sell mine for thousands more. I'm more than willing to wait a few months to see if the 2 year goes into affect. I just don't want to wait until next May. That's why I asked my initial question.
If you want to trade in to a Dealer then I suggest that you look at a different AD.

Even if this is this particular AD's policy it is very unlikely that you will receive what you think that you will on a trade-in; there is not a premium added to trades just because they might sell it as a CPO.
Old 24 May 2024, 09:08 AM   #19
77T

I don't know if this helps but the price range delta between a '22 & a '24 is a tight one.

22's ≈ $14k in the preowned market
24's ≈ $15k in the preowned market

New is $10,800 + tax ≈ $12k

Unless you're a dealer's Brother you will blow $3-4k in lost value (you'll be offered $10-11k) doing a trade.
So the new one's implied cost is $15k.

You're better off holding on to yours.

Old 24 May 2024, 11:41 AM   #20
nemoore23
"TRF" Member

The deal is irrelevant to what I originally asked. Getting $11,500 (the price of a new Sub) for my watch is no issue. There’s no way I’m going gray market. My AD is all for the deal but as of right now, the deal can’t go down until May 2025, when it becomes CPO eligible. I was just checking to see if anyone had heard if CPO was dropping to 2 years as my AD claims might happen in the coming months.
Old 26 May 2024, 01:24 AM   #21
royalklein
"TRF" Member

I haven't heard about Rolex potentially switching the age of their Certified Pre-Owned watches to two years, but it sounds like an interesting possibility.
royalklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2024, 04:35 AM   #22
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: P-serial 116518
<Deleted>
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2024, 05:09 AM   #23
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I can’t imagine that Rolex would change the parameters of a program that they just started so soon. The couple of ADs that I’ve been in recently had deep inventory of CPO watches. At one of them I inquired about trading in or selling back to them a 14060m that I originally purchased from them in 2016 and they declined saying that they didn’t need any more aluminum bezel Subs in inventory. I don’t think Rolex has a need to expand the definition of viable buy-backs in a new program at this time.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2024, 07:01 AM   #24
928ktgold

Watch: what’s next.
Obviously OP wants the new color bezel on the Starbucks Sub
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2024, 07:03 AM   #25
rockmastermike
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1982 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Ten & 32 View Post
The ‘3 year old’ rule is in place to stop customers buying a watch today & selling it back to them instantly for a profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsdorfNDavis View Post
No, the "3 year rule" is to stop AD's from putting all their new stock into the CPO display and charge more than MSRP for it.
These reasons are not mutually exclusive
rockmastermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2024, 07:12 AM   #26
77T

The Wilsdorf Foundation :
Cuz I say so

Old 7 June 2024, 06:45 AM   #27
scottgard
"TRF" Member

I haven't heard about Rolex potentially switching the age of their Certified Pre-Owned watches to two years, but it sounds like an interesting possibility.
scottgard is offline   Reply With Quote