The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 May 2024, 10:49 AM   #61
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

No, Rolex never was the top choice for me and still isn’t. I’m old enough to remember the transition out of the quartz crisis and admiring nice watches in the stores in Switzerland on our frequent visits. I remember drooling over the assorted Blancpains when they came back. There was and always will be Omega for me. That was my first choice when picking a Speedmaster in the late 80s. I liked the design and the story behind it. I still do and that would still be my watch if I could only keep one.
I always actually disliked Rolex at that time and considered them poor taste and a watch for people who don’t really care about watches but jewelry and name brands. I guess in large parts that still holds true. That said, it became an acquired taste and I learned to appreciate their history, undeniable quality and robustness, and many models following a form-follows function approach which I like. The one for me always was the Sea Dweller before it was discontinued and then brought back. So I eventually picked up a nice 16600 specimen that I love. I’m on the list for a green dial datejust - I would’ve never thought that I’d end up wanting and liking a traditional 36mm Rolex with a cyclops. Something about that specific version speaks to me. I can see an Explorer 1 36mm in my future also.

I am going to buy the Tudor GMT58 also. Much preferable over the current Rolex GMT offerings that are just big and gaudy from my perspective. I do still have a thing for Blancpain, IWC and JLC.

None of this is haute horology of course, including Rolex. Nice, practical, usable, functional, robust. The really nice stuff is out of most people’s price range. And I’m not talking about some hyped up entry level AP or Patek here…
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 10:57 AM   #62
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
You are not alone
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 11:35 AM   #63
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I owned Rolex first and went backwards too … it’s ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brian, did you recently get a silver snoopy?
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 02:18 PM   #64
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovannibravo View Post

I believe I saw it in one of the WRUW threads recently. I was going to ask him the same thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 07:07 PM   #65
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I believe I saw it in one of the WRUW threads recently. I was going to ask him the same thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I sure did

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=947432
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 09:50 PM   #66
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Very nice, Brian. Congrats. That is such a playful watch to have in the collection. I didn't see it as I have been offline the last couple of days.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 09:52 PM   #67
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Very nice, Brian. Congrats. That is such a playful watch to have in the collection. I didn't see it as I have been offline the last couple of days.

Thank you my friend

brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 11:09 PM   #68
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Rolex is great but it’s just one of many great brands. Tudor and Omega make some equally amazing watches and the buying experience is likely to be much better than purchasing a Rolex.

L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 11:33 PM   #69
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I still think Tudor and Omega have some work to do when it comes to refining their catalogue. However, I have been extremely impressed with what both brands have done with their Pelagos/Black Bay lines and Speedmaster lines respectively over the past several years.

The current Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch is one of the best wristwatches on the market right now in my opinion. I think they finally got it right.

My father in law recently purchased the Tudor Pelagos 39mm titanium model. It's perfect. I really can't say much else about it.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2024, 11:45 PM   #70
Reinhard in SA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
The journey to Seiko can be a long one, but it looks like you're halfway there
I love this

Having a bunch of oyster cases with different coloured bezels can get boring.

I have a Speedmaster, recently got a Seamaster 2254, a Navitimer which I never thought I would enjoy as much as I do and a bunch of vintage Seikos I love dearly. Just be careful, Seiko can be very addictive. So many wonderful watches over the years. I have a soft spot for the 6139 chronos.
Reinhard in SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2024, 05:38 AM   #71
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I still think Tudor and Omega have some work to do when it comes to refining their catalogue. However, I have been extremely impressed with what both brands have done with their Pelagos/Black Bay lines and Speedmaster lines respectively over the past several years.

The current Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch is one of the best wristwatches on the market right now in my opinion. I think they finally got it right.

My father in law recently purchased the Tudor Pelagos 39mm titanium model. It's perfect. I really can't say much else about it.
So what work do Omega and Tudor have to do then? They offer an incredible range of watches, all high quality, mostly actually available for purchase, and still a good value. If anything, Rolex may have to do some work on their catalogue - obviously they sell everything they produce and are currently in high demand. Is their strategy with more and more bling and oversized models working in the long-run? I think especially Tudor is capturing a lot of what more traditional/neo-vintage watch fans are looking for.
I’ll be getting the Tudor GMT 58 with the rubber strap. Best looking modern GMT I’ve found as of yet.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2024, 01:40 PM   #72
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

Do an about face and run towards the PM. Its all Rolex will sell you these days. They suckered me into it twice and i cant look back now.
dannyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2024, 09:36 PM   #73
davek35
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyrin View Post
Absolutely! I went all the way from my old Submariner to one of these, skipping out all the Omegas, Tudors, Seikos etc. on the way! Couldn´t be happier
Attachment 1436103
Be careful buying one of those watches. Solar power, time is set every night, GMT, chronograph.... When I wear mine it makes me wonder why I own anything else.
davek35 is offline   Reply With Quote