The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 July 2020, 11:25 AM   #1
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Collector Feedback - Green Swimpruf Tag?

Did a forum search and learned that certain ADs either kept the old Green Swimpruf tag for inventory purposes or, alternatively, removed the price/serial number on the tag (this is before the current white hangtag and supply/demand madness on stainless steel sport Rolex models that we’ve been in since mid-2017). I read that Swiss, Japanese and a smattering of US ADs did this. Is that true?

For collectors out there fixated on “complete sets”, how would one treat a set that came with everything, but the Green Swimpruf tag ... or a set that came with everything + the original Green Swimpruf tag without the bespoke serial number and price tag sticker for the watch?

Note: This has nothing to do with value retention or other disallowed monetary topics on TRF. Asking purely from a collectibility standpoint (realizing it’s just a piece of plastic).
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 11:35 AM   #2
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Well, the green tag without the serial number is just a piece of plastic. The serial number is the provenance that ties it to the watch. FWIW, I bought a full set and the green tag had the serial but the price had been scraped off.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2024, 01:29 AM   #3
CalicoRock480
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date II
But does the new watches usually come with that? All mine other watches came with the white tag.
CalicoRock480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2024, 11:59 AM   #4
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoRock480 View Post
But does the new watches usually come with that? All mine other watches came with the white tag.

Some ADs include the white hang tag. Some do not. The white hang tag does not have the price. That is on your CC receipt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2024, 12:09 PM   #5
ZOOK
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoRock480 View Post

The green tag pre-dates the white tag. I'm not sure when they changed but if you go down to the classified forum and look at some 5 digit Rolex ads you will see some examples. The green tag has a white barcode label glued on rather than the info being burned in like the white tags.
ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2024, 05:12 PM   #6
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

It's not truly a complete set without the green tag.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2024, 01:02 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
For collectors it is more about the correct swimpruf tag. Originally the tags had the model as part of the plastic, they weren't used for inventory then.

They are not important on more modern digitized-sticker, generic tags.
Old 30 May 2024, 01:52 AM   #8
rohada
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOK View Post
I'm not sure when they changed
I think it was during 2015-2016ish, transitioning from green to white serialized tags. For those who are into complete sets, keep in mind that the manufacture date and the sell date by the AD are not the same date. A 2015 manufactured watch could have sat in an AD's inventory for a while before selling at a later date. A watch that was born with the green tag would still have it at time of sell by the AD (unless, of course, if removed by the AD). The date range above should be pretty close. If I'm wrong, someone will correct me.