The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 January 2024, 01:30 PM   #1
wadia13
"TRF" Member

Tudor in-house (MT) movement accuracy spec -2 to +4 spd?

Just wondering about this. Tudor claims accuracy of -2 to +4 spd for some of their in-house movements (e.g. MT5400) but NOT all. There is also one that is METAS (0/+5). Does that mean for the rest of the MT movements, the spec is just normal COSC (-4/+6)? Thanks. BTW, I would post a Tudor link but am not allowed yet as I'm new to the forum.
wadia13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 02:07 PM   #2
capnty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadia13 View Post
Just wondering about this. Tudor claims accuracy of -2 to +4 spd for some of their in-house movements (e.g. MT5400) but NOT all. There is also one that is METAS (0/+5). Does that mean for the rest of the MT movements, the spec is just normal COSC (-4/+6)? Thanks. BTW, I would post a Tudor link but am not allowed yet as I'm new to the forum.
Interesting question. This was the most definitive answer I could find.

In short, COSC like performance, without being COSC certified. Makes sense given the 2824 base I suppose.

Last edited by capnty; 5 January 2024 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: link formatting
capnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 08:40 PM   #3
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

FWIW, Tudor doesn’t have “in-house” movements. Their movements are manufactured by Kenissi, which is a JV in which Tudor has an interest and which supplies movements to several brands, including Tudor, Chanel, Breitling and Tag Heuer, among others.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 09:11 PM   #4
Daveh777
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
FWIW, Tudor doesn’t have “in-house” movements. Their movements are manufactured by Kenissi, which is a JV in which Tudor has an interest and which supplies movements to several brands, including Tudor, Chanel, Breitling and Tag Heuer, among others.
The Tudor website describes “Tudor Manufacture Calibres” which is probably the reason for this.
Daveh777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 10:06 PM   #5
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

For what it's worth, the Breitling based movement in my Tudor Black Bay chrono is dead on, and just as accurate as the 3235 in my SD. I was suitably impressed.

I'm coming up on 2 years of service with the SD and so far so good. Hoping to avoid the 3235 slow down.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 10:08 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
For any purely mechanical movement to run within or even a little outside todays Swiss COSC spec a average of -4+6 seconds spec. Is quite frankly a mechanical marvel considering there are 86400 seconds in a day no matter how they are tested. But today most all mechanical movements when regulated correctly that matches the owners wearing habits can run to COSC spec. Take the Chinese made Seagull ST19 mechanical movement when regulated correctly can match COSC spec even this new Rolex -2+2 spec cost of movement less than $100.And being made in-house is not always mean its better, even Rolex today dont make every thing in-house. Like mainsprings they are made by Schwab-Feller AG, all movement bearing and cap jewels, watch crystals, spring-bars, and a firm called Aiguilles makes all the watch hands for all models, And dials are made in 3 different factories now all owned by Rolex plus many years ago now some movement parts were finished by home workers .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 10:43 PM   #7
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
My 3 Tudors each run within 1-2 seconds per day.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 10:52 PM   #8
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
All of my Tudors keep great time.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 10:55 PM   #9
sien
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Lover
Both of my Tudors run at accurate time.
sien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 11:43 PM   #10
Michael1968
Banned

Watch: UN,RolexTudor&more
My Tudor keeps the time perfectly
Michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2024, 11:51 PM   #11
wadia13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1968 View Post
My Tudor keeps the time perfectly
I believe you. Just to be clear, by "perfect" - do you mean it is 0.0 spd over extended periods (weeks or months)? So at least just as accurate as high accuracy quartz? That is amazing. Congratulations.
wadia13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2024, 01:55 AM   #12
dangson
"TRF" Member

My Tudor BB GMT runs at +2 seconds/day. While my Submariner is technically more accurate at -1.5 seconds/day, I much prefer the Tudor running fast than slow. Every week or so I just pull the crown out and wait for the true time to catch up and push it back in. Much easier to sync up the time than on the slow-running Sub.
dangson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 09:14 PM   #13
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

This is incorrect. Tudor began creating their own calibres with the first going into the North Flag. After the release of this watch and new calibre they began a new company called Kenissi, to continue and drive MT calibres. The intent ws always to be a supplier to other watch manufacturers as this would allow Tudor to lower it's production costs. Plans were made for a new building on Rolex owned land. Then a part share in the company was sold to Chanel. (Approx 20%) Tudor maintained and still maintains a controlling interest. The current building is joined to the new Tudor facility which can be accessed internally by Tudor. All orders for calibres for Tudor are done by Tudor at Tudor. When Kenissi was created, a Tudor employee was put in charge of the new company. Tudor and Breitling arrangements for the exchange of movements is between those two companies. Kenissi simply supplies the calibres to Breitling. Although no Tudor calibres are supplied to Breitling or any other third party with the Tudor silicon hairspring as that is given to Tudor to use by Rolex as the developer.

Chanel has an "interest" whereas Tudor is the owner and company creator.

With regard to accuracy, Tudor have claimed that they will sell their (own calibre) watches at 25% greater accuracy than COSC and that this would be as cased calibres. METAS is not 0-5 seconds either. This is an urban myth. It is 0-5 for larger calibres and 0-6 for smaller calibres. Eg both the Omega Seamaster 300m and the Black Bay MT54xx calibre watches are 0-6 seconds for their METAS standards. Where two standards come into play Tudor will supply to the stricter requirements.
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2024, 10:59 AM   #14
Aussiexplorer
"TRF" Member

My two Tudors (Ranger 39mm and BB58 Bronze) are consistent 1 second per day movements!
Aussiexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2024, 11:08 AM   #15
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
My unserviced, 12-year-old ETA 2824 a few weeks ago . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7408.JPG (178.1 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7407.JPG (144.6 KB, 82 views)
Old 28 May 2024, 12:21 PM   #16
Aussiexplorer
"TRF" Member

Wow, that 2824 is going strong. Awesome!
Aussiexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2024, 01:05 PM   #17
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601

My Tudor North Flag equipped with Tudor’s landmark 1st in house movement is at -0.2sec/24hr.

Tudor previous standard was to regulate their in house movements to COSC or better. Their new goal moving forward will be to transition to METAS standards. Interesting to note however, there is no architecture difference between the METAS and non-METAS in house movements. The MT5621 and onward were always capable of METAS standards.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote