The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 May 2024, 11:04 PM   #1
dnick16
"TRF" Member

Question from a longtime lurker

Hi all,

I have enjoyed reading the various posts and looking at pictures of everyone's watches for a few years now, but this is my first post.

My love of watches started early in life, and I have followed a similar path that many of you have. First wearing cheap quartz fossil watches in my teens, then seiko, hamilton, microbrands, and eventually moving on to Rolex. I have been fortunate enough to have bought 3 rolex watches in the last five years. However, I have a very limited understanding of how the movements actually work.

Anyway, my question is about my 36 mm datejust that I purchased from my local AD in February of this year. When I adjust the time manually, the date changes at exactly midnight. When the watch is running, the date doesn't actually change until about 7 minutes after midnght. I am wondering why the movement works this way. Not really concerned about this as I am rarely awake after midnight lol. The watch is keeping great time, just curious in general if anyone knows the answer.

Thanks you!
dnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 04:14 AM   #2
Hardtimes
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 118238
Welcome, and good question..Look forward to the answer from the experts
Hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 04:28 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnick16 View Post
Hi all,

I have enjoyed reading the various posts and looking at pictures of everyone's watches for a few years now, but this is my first post.

My love of watches started early in life, and I have followed a similar path that many of you have. First wearing cheap quartz fossil watches in my teens, then seiko, hamilton, microbrands, and eventually moving on to Rolex. I have been fortunate enough to have bought 3 rolex watches in the last five years. However, I have a very limited understanding of how the movements actually work.

Anyway, my question is about my 36 mm datejust that I purchased from my local AD in February of this year. When I adjust the time manually, the date changes at exactly midnight. When the watch is running, the date doesn't actually change until about 7 minutes after midnght. I am wondering why the movement works this way. Not really concerned about this as I am rarely awake after midnight lol. The watch is keeping great time, just curious in general if anyone knows the answer.

Thanks you!
Rolex uses a cam system for the date change so they could change a few minutes past midnight.Or possible the hands need taking of the hand stack and need re-setting,but as long as it changed when you wake up in the morning it's not a problem.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 05:18 AM   #4
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I had the same question before and got some good answers on the link below. The bit I don’t understand (which is also in your question) is why the change during manual winding might be different to the change during automatic movement - mine is the same as yours but changes at 00.06.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=887173
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 05:23 AM   #5
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
I think that when you are manually changing the date, which you do rather quickly, it seems like it’s flipping exactly at midnight, but it’s probably not. If you are awake and see it flip, in real time, it’s almost always a few minutes after midnight. Better after, than before, in my opinion. Your watch is working as it should.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 05:57 AM   #6
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

All my Rolex watches with a date complication change date instantaneously between 4 and 12 minutes past midnight.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 06:00 AM   #7
ChuMpion3
"TRF" Member

Lurking since May 2020. Thanks for finally posting.
ChuMpion3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2024, 04:11 AM   #8
dnick16
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback!
dnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2024, 12:25 PM   #9
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Rolex uses a cam system for the date change so they could change a few minutes past midnight.Or possible the hands need taking of the hand stack and need re-setting,but as long as it changed when you wake up in the morning it's not a problem.
Interesting and thank you!
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote