The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 May 2024, 10:42 PM   #1
IGY
"TRF" Member

Rolex Datejust Cyclops Removal

Been looking at the Datejust 36. But I'd prefer the watch without the cyclops. (Just a personal preference thing. I understand that plenty of people have the opposite opinion and enjoy the quirky asymmetry of it).

Plan A) is a non starter from the start. Heard stories of people managing to remove the cyclops from the crystal. However even when it is done cleanly it looks bad because there is a hole in the anti reflective coating.

(Plan B) would be put up with the cyclops. And plan C) would be buy a Grand Seiko with date and no pimple. But I don't want to focus on either of those ideas here now.)

So plan D): has anyone seen a DJ36 with the crystal replaced with an Explorer 36 / OP36 crystal? Is it compatible? I understand the resale will suffer, but I care not.
IGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 10:47 PM   #2
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Rolex Datejust Cyclops Removal

You’d ruin the watch if you did (IMHO). Plus, it would look fake, which may or may not matter to some I suppose. It’s like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 10:58 PM   #3
IGY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
You’d ruin the watch if you did (IMHO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Plus, it would look fake, which may or may not matter to some I suppose.
Not to be arrogant or nasty to other people as I respect other opinions. But I wear watches that I enjoy and I would not care if somebody thought the watch fake or worry about resale. Simply don't care.

I'm asking for feedback from people that have managed to change the crystal on a Datejust 36.
Old 26 May 2024, 11:18 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
The Cyclops on Rolex watches are just stuck on with a special glue and can be removed.. And they can be removed at own risk as the cyclops is only stuck on surface of the crystal. Quickest and easiest to remove cyclops you must take crystal off the watch then remove the crystal gasket. Put crystal on ceramic block a ceramic tile will do, then use a small flame torch pointed directly at the cyclops it will just pop off in around 10 seconds. And no damage to crystal or the cyclops then clean glue off crystal with a glue residue remover then refit crystal and pressure check but myself would not do Although myself not a huge fan of the Cyclops it's a trade mark on watches like the DJ,but one of the main reasons I bought my 16600.SD was no Cyclops.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 11:23 PM   #5
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
It’s a DateJust, the cyclops is an integral part of the watch’s design. I would not alter the watch.
There are plenty of watches that are as reliable, durable and aesthetically appealing without the cyclops, like an Oyster Perpetual
Old 26 May 2024, 11:27 PM   #6
Zorro79
"TRF" Member

Just ask a decent watchmaker to replace the crystal and keep your old one with the cyclops in case you ever need to sell it. Shouldn't be too difficult. Would be a 15 minute job.
Zorro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 11:42 PM   #7
IGY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The Cyclops on Rolex watches are just stuck on with a special glue and can be removed.. And they can be removed at own risk as the cyclops is only stuck on surface of the crystal. Quickest and easiest to remove cyclops you must take crystal off the watch then remove the crystal gasket. Put crystal on ceramic block a ceramic tile will do, then use a small flame torch pointed directly at the cyclops it will just pop off in around 10 seconds. And no damage to crystal or the cyclops then clean glue off crystal with a glue residue remover then refit crystal and pressure check but myself would not do Although myself not a huge fan of the Cyclops it's a trade mark on watches like the DJ,but one of the main reasons I bought my 16600.SD was no Cyclops.
Thanks for the feedback. I'd read much the same after doing a quick google search. But I had also read that after removing any glue residue that there is a cyclops sized gap in the AR coating that looks awful.

If it fits I think that a far better solution would be to fit the crystal from another 36mm Rolex model (the OP and Explorer 1 are the obvious candidates). That way, you have full AR applied across the whole dial while you use the watch. And if you ever want to sell the Datejust 36, you can just reinstall the factory glass.

(Buying an OP does not help: that watch does not have a date. Besides I'd rather have a Pioneer 40 over an OP if I were not bothered to have the date reminder. Reason I mentioned Grand Seiko is that they have plenty of sporty / smart watches with time and date without the cyclops).
Old 26 May 2024, 11:44 PM   #8
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I'm not a fan of the cyclops either. I was originally thinking of taking off the cyclops from my BLNR, but decided to live with it on that. All my other Rolex are sans date so no cyclops.

Out of curiosity why not just get a 36mm OP?
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2024, 11:59 PM   #9
Bald Angus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41, 126334-0017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonage View Post

That’s what I was thinking.

Bald Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 12:04 AM   #10
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGY View Post
Not to be arrogant or nasty to other people as I respect other opinions. But I wear watches that I enjoy and I would not care if somebody thought the watch fake or worry about resale. Simply don't care.

I'm asking for feedback from people that have managed to change the crystal on a Datejust 36.

Have you considered trading it in for an Omega Aqua Terra 38mm? Lots of color and bracelet options.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 12:28 AM   #11
rmagoo57

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
I also like the clean look without the cyclops. Go for it! I remember seeing a 16570 polar here without the cyclops and thought it looked good. Found it....

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...0#post12793121
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 02:40 AM   #12
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

I get it. Also went with the 16600 for my dive watch as it’s the perfect balance - and no cyclops. I have a green dial 36 DJ on order and the cyclops does still give me pause every now and then (I originally thought I’d go with the current Explorer 36 instead). But I do want that splash of color and a different bracelet. So I’ll have to lear to live it.
Thinking also about a GMT while waiting and the new Tudor 58 checks all the boxes for me. Smaller and no cyclops. I get that the loupe is practical (especially north of 50). But it’s still ugly and sooo recognizable across the room even (which I dislike but also try to lear to ignore).
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 05:43 AM   #13
RAB321
"TRF" Member

Since your only question is will it fit, go over to the Tech forum and ask there. Many qualified members who should be able to answer your question.
RAB321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 06:40 AM   #14
IGY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Err... because I want a date. But I don't care for the cyclops. I already tried explaining that a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmagoo57 View Post
I also like the clean look without the cyclops. Go for it! I remember seeing a 16570 polar here without the cyclops and thought it looked good. Found it....

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...0#post12793121
Oh nice to see that it has been done successfully on another model. That kind of gives me hope that it is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAB321 View Post
Since your only question is will it fit, go over to the Tech forum and ask there. Many qualified members who should be able to answer your question.
Good idea. Will do.
Old 27 May 2024, 07:08 AM   #15
ViperB
2024 Pledge Member

You can use the crystal from the Daytona. Keep the original and return back to factory when needed.
ViperB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 07:24 AM   #16
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

I also prefer the no-cyclops/domed crystal look - Iirc, this 1802 belonged to the late TRFer Richard Parker
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2759-compressed.jpeg (113.3 KB, 584 views)
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 07:27 AM   #17
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
Get an AM crystal
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 07:29 AM   #18
Fourthirteen
"TRF" Member

Replacement crystals are available with and without cyclops and a watchmaker could easily do the replacement.
Fourthirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 07:37 AM   #19
keeso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the cyclops either. I was originally thinking of taking off the cyclops from my BLNR, but decided to live with it on that. All my other Rolex are sans date so no cyclops.

The cyclops I think is more like a trade mark for Rolex watches. taking it off or replacing it completely would probably have a negative effect on the brand as per the vintage vibe it gives might just go away. Just my two cents in the matter.
keeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 07:53 AM   #20
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
I’d just do a replacement crystal
As for the glue used on the cyclops im guessing it’s uv glue? and if so heat usually works well obviously with it off the watch
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 08:00 AM   #21
BigJim67
"TRF" Member

I don't like the looks of the date without the magnification, not a fans of the cyclops either, honestly.

I love the Datejust, but will go 36mm OP as the dial/look is a bit cleaner.
BigJim67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2024, 08:12 AM   #22
WatchTimes

Watch: It's a Rolex!
I never cared for the cyclops on my Exp II
I had the crystal swapped with a Daytona crystal.
I was never bothered by it on my DJ or on the DD so those still have it.
As I hit 50 I am starting to see a benefit to the cyclops and will likely be returning my Exp to stock soon.
BTW cyclops is what made me pass on a Sub and go SD!

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2024, 03:29 AM   #23
paul cbc
"TRF" Member

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=947403

Link to thread with a DJ sans cyclops.
I think it is a good look.

OP - it's your watch, do as you see fit.
Let us know what you decide.
paul cbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2024, 04:56 AM   #24
M@2
"TRF" Member

I 100% agree, almost all the models looks better without the cyclops.

also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro79 View Post
Just ask a decent watchmaker to replace the crystal and keep your old one with the cyclops in case you ever need to sell it. Shouldn't be too difficult. Would be a 15 minute job.
+1

I've seen videos of folks removing them, with a quick flame, and the glue turns white and they pop/slide right off. Personally though, I'd go with replacement crystal, and keep the OG one.
M@2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2024, 06:37 AM   #25
RustyW
"TRF" Member

I agree...here is my SD 43 w/ a crystal swap

Looks so much better IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cyclops removed.jpg (46.1 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg no clops 2.jpg (157.8 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg no clops wrist shot.jpg (49.0 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg no clops.jpg (53.5 KB, 405 views)
RustyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2024, 12:19 PM   #26
bfinta
"TRF" Member

I really like that sd43 no cyclops.

To the OP, i thought rolex only puts AR on inside of crystal, if so then taking cyclops off wouldnt be an issue. Maybe someone can tell me if im wrong.
bfinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2024, 01:19 PM   #27
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
I hate the cyclops. The legend is that Hans developed it for his wife so she could read the date better. So it's the equivalent of a post it note for magnification. A kludge. Just glue this unsightly wart onto a 10K+ watch and call it a beauty mark.
csaltphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2024, 03:24 PM   #28
Curated
"TRF" Member

Remove it. I removed it from my Sub and have no regrets.
Curated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2024, 03:38 PM   #29
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyW View Post
Looks so much better IMO.
Adding a Cyclops to the SD43 was a middle finger to Sea-Dweller fans. Glad you corrected it.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2024, 08:14 PM   #30
THC

Watch: 16610M
Can you put the cyclops back on later? If not you will kill the value of the watch at resale time
THC is online now   Reply With Quote