The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 May 2024, 11:24 PM   #1
philoye
"TRF" Member

1.8mm diameter spring bars for 14060?

I'm on the hunt for quality spring bars for the 14060 that work well with NATO straps. The #23-9291 stock Rolex spring bars, at 2.0mm, are a tight squeeze. It works, barely, but marks the strap as I pull it through.

The specs for the 20mm stock spring bars on a 14060 are:
  • Style: Shoulderless
  • Pivot diameter: 1.2mm
  • Bar diameter: 2.0mm
  • Pivot length: 2.8mm

I'd love a bar with the same specs, but with a bar diameter of ~1.8mm. I've checked Ofrei, Esslinger, Everest, etc. with no luck.

Surely, I'm not the first to want such a thing. I saw a post on Reddit from Toxic Natos which talked about 1.78mm bars, but that seller seems to have disappeared.

Any ideas?
philoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2024, 01:03 AM   #2
nlrw
"TRF" Member

It can be tough to find the exact specs you're looking for, especially when you're trying to fit a NATO strap on a Rolex 14060.

Here are a few options to consider:

Custom-made spring bars: While it might be a bit more expensive, you could consider having custom spring bars made to your exact specifications. There are companies that specialize in creating custom watch parts, and they might be able to help you out.

Alternative spring bar sizes: Have you tried experimenting with slightly different sizes, like 1.9mm or 1.7mm? While it might not be the exact size you're looking for, it could be a good compromise that works well with your NATO straps.

Thinner NATO straps: Another option could be to look for NATO straps that are a bit thinner than the ones you're currently using. This could make it easier to fit them onto the stock Rolex spring bars without marking them up.
nlrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2024, 03:33 AM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlrw View Post
It can be tough to find the exact specs you're looking for, especially when you're trying to fit a NATO strap on a Rolex 14060.

Here are a few options to consider:

Custom-made spring bars: While it might be a bit more expensive, you could consider having custom spring bars made to your exact specifications. There are companies that specialize in creating custom watch parts, and they might be able to help you out.

Alternative spring bar sizes: Have you tried experimenting with slightly different sizes, like 1.9mm or 1.7mm? While it might not be the exact size you're looking for, it could be a good compromise that works well with your NATO straps.

Thinner NATO straps: Another option could be to look for NATO straps that are a bit thinner than the ones you're currently using. This could make it easier to fit them onto the stock Rolex spring bars without marking them up.
AI is everywhere these days. Sounds almost reasonable if you don't think too hard about the answer.
Old 28 May 2024, 08:30 AM   #4
philoye
"TRF" Member

Let’s ignore the robots until they start wearing Rolex.
Old 28 May 2024, 09:51 AM   #5
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Try some silicone grease on the springbar or inside the springbar hole in the strap. There is no reason the springbar shouldn't go through the hole if it is a correct strap for your watch. You can also put some water in the hole and try to stretch out the hole a little with some type of tool that will open up the hole for a better fit.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2024, 08:42 AM   #6
philoye
"TRF" Member

Maybe I’m misunderstanding you but I’m talking about NATO straps The gap between the spring bar and the case is very tight for a NATO to easily slide through. Water ain’t going to cut it.
Old 29 May 2024, 09:55 AM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by philoye View Post
Maybe I’m misunderstanding you but I’m talking about NATO straps The gap between the spring bar and the case is very tight for a NATO to easily slide through. Water ain’t going to cut it.
Disregard my comment. I thought you couldn't get the spring bar to slide into the strap hole. I should have paid more attention to my grammar and English course in grade school.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2024, 06:13 PM   #8
philoye
"TRF" Member

Ha, all good! Normal watch straps are fine. Just NATOs are the issue.
Old 30 May 2024, 02:57 AM   #9
Dom9
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD16600 & 9411
I have the same issue with my 16600 and NATOs... Seems very hard to get spring bars with the right pivot details, regardless of overall diameter. Worth looking on some of the Seiko watch mod sites as they do lots of different styles.

Was looking for 116660 springs bars the other day and there do not seem to be many options out there with the right pivot sizes!
Old 30 May 2024, 07:55 AM   #10
philoye
"TRF" Member

Getting like for like high quality replacements for Rolex spring bars is straightforward. Ofrei, Esslinger, and J Borel stock them — same specs including pivot diameter and length.

For the 14060 the Rolex part number is #23-9291.

My problem is that they are 2mm thick which is hair over what I want.
Old 1 June 2024, 12:26 AM   #11
Dom9
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD16600 & 9411
I still can't find the right 21mm bars for my 116660 on Ofrei (I'll give the others a look) but there are indeed plenty ofr 20mm/22mm. If I am being thick, I'd welcome a link!
Old 1 June 2024, 01:19 AM   #12
-dustin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

1.8 x 1.2 x 20 shoulderless was the unicorn that I couldn't find. Ended up with 1.8 x 1.1.

Here for a link if anyone does have a source for 1.8 x 1.1...
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2024, 01:26 AM   #13
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by philoye View Post
Ha, all good! Normal watch straps are fine. Just NATOs are the issue.
If you are going to use a strap that the 14060 never came on, why be concerned with "proper" spring bars. Use what you need to get it to fit as you like.

They do make curved spring bars that may work. The critical point is at the pivot so the bars do not gouge out the inside of the lug.

I'm not a fan of NATO straps on spring bar lugs. You can wiggle the strap back and forth and pop the bars right out. Often we see somebody with a watch hanging by one spring bar, touting that without the NATO they would have lost their watch when in reality they likely would have not lost that bar except for the rubbing NATO
Old 1 June 2024, 05:50 AM   #14
1clubman
"TRF" Member

I use Horotec spring bars 1.8x0.9x20 mm, pivot length 2.0. Can be obtained from cousinsuk-com And ebay. They are perfect For my 78360/558 bracelet on a 16750.
1clubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2024, 10:47 AM   #15
philoye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
1.8 x 1.2 x 20 shoulderless was the unicorn that I couldn't find. Ended up with 1.8 x 1.1.
Where did you get 1.8 x 1.1 x 20?