The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 11 August 2009, 10:42 PM   #1
nofxatallorelse
"TRF" Member

Look what Ebay will be doing. Keep bumping to the top!

Hey all,
I found this on another board, and just wanted to spread the word here.

Some might care, some not, but in any event it could be important to know. Check out this text, and accompanying instructions, that are making the rounds of the web right now. I've made the appropriate changes myself already:

Starting on August 31st, eBay is going to institute a new policy where photos you upload to any listing are put into a "catalog" of online images that any eBay user can then use for their own listings. The default setting for this is opt-in, which is a problem if you, like me, consider your photographs your property and want to control how they are used and by whom. A copyright notice is posted with a link to your user profile, but no additional information is given, and the link is quite small.

Since the default setting is opt-in, and eBay has not sent messages out about this, a lot of people are going to be caught flat-footed by this new policy.

Again, the default for this setting is YES, you have opted in. Meaning "Yes, I will allow eBay to make my photos available for anyone to use."

If you do not want eBay to make the photos you upload to all of your future auctions available to other users in a sort of catalog process, you need to go change your settings now, before August 31st. If you opt out after then, any photos you upload between the 31st and when you opt out will still be eligible for inclusion in their "catalog."

In order to opt out of this so-not-okay process, do the following. I've broken it down exhaustively. Hopefully your eBay pages look like mine.

1) Go to your eBay summary page ("My eBay").

2) On the left-hand side, there are three tabs that say "Activity," "Messages," and "Account." Hover over the "Account" tab.

3) A drop-down list will appear. Move your mouse down to "Site Preferences" and click.

4) You will be taken to a page with a list of site options for selling, shipping, and listing. About the sixth from the top is "Share your Photos." Click on the word "show" on the right hand side next to this option.

5) The box will expand, and if you are opted in, "yes" will appear. If you are opted out, "no" will appear. A small "edit" link will appear below the "show" link. If you want to change the settings, click "edit."

6) You will be taken to a new page with the following text: If you'd like to opt-out of this program, please do so by checking this box and clicking the "submit" button below.
(If you opt-out before August 31, 2009, none of your photos will be considered for inclusion in this program unless you opt back in at a later time. If you opt-out after August 31, 2009, any photos we select for inclusion in this program prior to your opt-out may continue to be used in the catalog)

7) If you want to opt out of the program, check the ticky box on the left-hand side next to the text, then go down and click the "submit" button.

8) You will go back to the settings screen you were just on, and there will be a green checkmark and a confirmation message. Go down to the "Share your Photos" option again and click "show." Your setting should now appear as "no."

I am sure that this will be a useful feature for some people, for some items, but the automatic opt-in is not okay with me at all, as I don't want my photographs used to illustrate someone else's auction for a different item, not for any reason whatsoever.

I need to credit GUY from another Forum for the above information but I hope that those here will find it useful and potentially head off some major head and heart aches!
nofxatallorelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2009, 11:02 PM   #2
idk01
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ16233TT
This is going to cause a bit of a fuss when it comes to selling watches on the Bay, I can understand some powersellers that have a well built up reputation and history, when it comes to advertising a Rolex watch, you can't beat having your own photo, I might have to look into this as its going to cause the watchout section to become so busy :-)

And thats another issue - how many cases of accidental misrepresentation will occur

idk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2009, 11:06 PM   #3
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513s
I had not heard of this new method of image "sharing" and wonder how ebay can think of doing this as it in no way assists the buyer in viewing the subject of a potential purchase.

ebay are in the midst right now of implementing a several new policies, for users and also for affiliates. Not all of the changes benefit anyone but ebay.

This particular change is not good as far as detecting scams/frauds as a lot of these people obviously use other peoples pictures, until now "unlawfully" but from 1/9/09 they will have ebays blessing to do so. This change will make the work here a lot harder and more time consuming, if possible in some cases at all.

Thanks for the heads up and for sharing this info.

Dave will not be pleased I am sure.
mcjp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2009, 11:17 PM   #4
idk01
"TRF" Member

bit more info - it looks like a user id will be linked to the catalog photos even if used by someone else - makes our job easier :-), here is the low down:

Get exposure for your product pictures

Why does the eBay product catalog include photos?
Photos are important for the convenience of sellers and for buyers to make the right purchase decision. Starting September 1, 2009, eBay will begin selecting photos for the eBay product catalog from the listings of sellers who do not opt out by August 31.

Can I choose not to have my photos used in the eBay product catalog?
You can choose to opt out of having eBay use your photos in the eBay product catalog through My eBay. (See instructions below). If you opt out by August 31, 2009 at 23:59:59 PT, none of your photos will be considered for inclusion in the catalog (unless you opt back in at a later time). If you opt out after August 31, 2009 23:59:59 PT, any photos we select for inclusion in the catalog prior to your opt-out may continue to be used in the catalog.

Is there an advantage for me if my photos are chosen for the eBay product catalog?
If we choose your photos to represent a product in the eBay product catalog, you'll get an attribution including your user ID and a link to your profile page whenever your photo is used on a product details page. This can give you extra exposure to a larger audience of shoppers.

Buyers would see your user ID and a link to your profile page if your photo is used on a product details page.

Will eBay automatically consider my photos for inclusion in the eBay product catalog?
Yes, eBay will begin to select photos from sellers' listings for inclusion in the eBay product catalog starting on September 1. If you don't want your photos used, you can opt out at any time. If you opt out by August 31, 2009 at 23:59:59 PT, none of your photos will be considered for inclusion in the catalog unless you opt back in at a later time. If you opt out after August 31, 2009 23:59:59 PT, any photos we select for inclusion in the catalog prior to your opt-out may continue to be used in the catalog.

How do I opt out of having my photos considered for use in the eBay product catalog?
You can opt out of having your photos considered for use in the eBay product catalog, by following these steps:
Click My eBay at the top of any eBay page. You may be asked to sign in.
Choose the Account tab at the top of the page
Click on Site Preferences in the left hand margin
Click on Selling Preferences
Click on the "Show" link to the right of Share your photos
Click on the "Edit" link next to "Consider photos I upload in the listing process for inclusion in the eBay product catalog and other product offerings."
Click the checkbox that states "If you'd like to opt-out of this program, please do so by checking this box and clicking the "Submit" button below."
Click the "Submit" button.

Can I opt back in if I opt out?
Yes. To opt back in, just follow the same steps listed above for opting out, but uncheck the checkbox on the second page and click the "Submit" button. If you later change your mind and wish to opt back out, you can change your settings at any time in this section of My eBay. However, any content we select for inclusion in the catalog during a time when you are opted in after August 31, 2009 at 23:59:59 PT may continue to be used in the catalog.

What photos could eBay collect from me?
After August 31, 2009 at 23:59:59 PT, unless you opt out of this program, all photos in your eBay listings can be considered for addition to the catalog at our discretion.

Can I choose to have some photos included but not others?
At this time, you can't choose which photos you would like us to consider for inclusion in the product catalog. Unless you opt out, we may consider any of your photos for inclusion in the catalog. For example, if you have a listing with 12 associated photos, we may consider any or all 12 photos for inclusion in the eBay product catalog.

What if I want some photos included but not others?
If you have any photos you do not wish us to consider for inclusion in the product catalog, you should opt out. (See instructions above).

Will having my pictures included in the eBay product catalog interfere with or slow down my selling process?
No, if we choose your photos for inclusion in the eBay product catalog, we will do so in the background without interfering with your day-to-day selling activities.

Will I be notified if my photos are selected?
No, you will not be notified in this initial phase of the catalog project. We plan to add seller notification in a later phase. However, if we choose to use your photo, we will give you attribution on the product details page by referencing your user ID and link to your profile page (see example above).

How long will it take for me to receive attribution after I upload my photos to my listings?
If we select one or more of your photos for inclusion in the product catalog, it may take several weeks between the time you upload your photo(s) to your listings and the time that it is used on the product details page with attribution to your user ID.

Please note that being opted into the program does not guarantee that any of your photos will be selected for inclusion in the catalog. If your photo is used, you will see an attribution in the product details page as described above.

How long will I have my attribution?
The attribution on the product details page will stay as long as your photo is used to represent that product in our catalog.

Can my photo be replaced?
Yes. If we find another photo that we believe is a better fit for the product, we will replace the current photo. Only the owner of the new photo will then get attribution for their photo as described above.

What do I do if someone else submits my photo under their user ID?
You should report any activity that you believe infringes on your intellectual property rights immediately through the VeRO program. You can report the problem here.

Old 11 August 2009, 11:25 PM   #5
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513s
I do not have that option ie Click on the "Show" link to the right of Share your photos

I am of course with ebay.com.au. Does anyone else have it? or is this so far limited to US originated listings?
mcjp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2009, 11:36 PM   #6
idk01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjp6 View Post
I do not have that option ie Click on the "Show" link to the right of Share your photos

I am of course with ebay.com.au. Does anyone else have it? or is this so far limited to US originated listings?
It looks like eBay US accounts only have the option.

I don't have the option even when logging into eBay.com.

Old 12 August 2009, 12:36 AM   #7
JPersat
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing everybody
Mine doesnt have anything about sharing my photos.....
JPersat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2009, 04:55 AM   #8
TheDeuce
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD&YM&DaytonaOMy
My Canadian eBay.ca account is sans a 'share photo' option as well.

m.
TheDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2009, 05:17 AM   #9
MASSIMO OSTI

nothing for the UK
MASSIMO OSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2009, 09:52 AM   #10
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Nothing for Ebay.ca

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2009, 07:10 AM   #11
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Have it here, just opted out! Thanks for the pointer!

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2009, 07:19 AM   #12
alexthegreat123
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 16710 w/ 3186
I had "no" by default
alexthegreat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2009, 12:50 PM   #13
tudorman8276
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Prez
...also have it here...

...opted OUT.

...thanks for the GREAT heads-up...
tudorman8276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2009, 12:58 PM   #14
Flaxmoore

Watch: Alpha Milsub
Nothing here, maybe since I've only ever bought through EBay.
Flaxmoore is offline   Reply With Quote