The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 14 September 2009, 11:54 PM   #1
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
Icon5 Help me choose Bell & Ross

This will be my first B&R. I am totally torn and need help. I saw a BR02 on TZ and it turns out its my local AD selling it on consignment. I went to look at it and just that morning the owner took it back. They are calling to see if they can get it. So I should be able to get a good pre-owned price from a known watch. I also tried on every model in the store and loved the titanium BR02-51 GMT with carbon dial. The one they had in the case was a "demo". It was worn by one of the salespeople in the store for a few months. So again, a good price for a known history.

Sorry this may end up being a long novel. Maybe writing down my thoughts will help me choose.

I fly model airplanes for fun and have flown a private plane a few times. I have a friend with a Cessna and another with a Beechcraft. I'm no aviator but it is fun and I enjoy the feeling of flying. I love how the B&R looks like an altimeter.

I tried on the larger square watches and did not really like them. I think the big square ones when I think B&R but it just didn't fit right. No curvature to the back so it sat funny IMO. So I ruled out most of the big square ones. (Which is weird because my other watches are big ones)

The -51 GMT is just amazing. Light as a feather and a gorgeous dial. I like the little splash of orange color, not too dramatic. Big date is nice and the dial is a little funky looking but not crazy. I like the square look because I think of B&R as square watches. Dial is not really aviation layout but the hands are.

The BR02 chrono is also amazing. VERY comfy for a large watch which I like. I love the little rubber pushers and all the screws, knobs and detail. I'm a mechanical engineer (nerd) so I love detail like this. I'll fiddle with the knobs all day at work and not get any work done! I don't dive and already have a Rolex Deep Sea and a Doxa Pro orange.

I like the hands on the BR02 much better. More detail and a little more color. The dial is very bust but I don't mind too much. My Doxa is super cluttered and I have a Breitling 49 which of course has 500 pieces of infromation on the dial.

I have several chronos so I promised myself I wouldn't buy another one, but the 02 is just so beautiful!

I like different watches. Here's the rest of my collection so you can see how it will fit.

Rolex - I love the true Rolex classic the sub, but wanted something different so I bought a Deep Sea.

I wanted a stainless white dial Daytona (who doesn't?!) but I saw the meteorite dial and fell in love with the color and red hands so I bought that one.

Breitling - Big Chronomat 49 with the bronze dial. Very busy and colorful.

Doxa GMT orange 750. Love the case and bright orange color.

Panerai -251 Daylight which is a chrono with a creme white face. Not your typical PAM which are normally simple black dials.

Well in the end I am totally lost. There is a 1% chance that I can negotiate such a great deal on both that I would buy both but I doubt they will move much further. They would have to offer them at such a great price that I couldn't turn them down.

My main concern is that if I buy one and choose the BR02 I will not have a square B&R which is what I think of when I think B&R. I like everything about it better except that feeling that if you are going to get one it should be a square one. Am I crazy? Is B&R also known for tonneau shaped cases? Will I regret the 02 later and wish I had the -51?

Here are pics for comparison, from the B&R website.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 15 September 2009, 12:08 AM   #2
barista_krystal

Watch: a cheap datejust
I say if its your first B&R, Get the square. I bet it looks good on your wrist.
barista_krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2009, 01:14 AM   #3
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
the br02, in all it's incarnations, is a hot watch. that's the one i'd go for. based on what you're saying - i think it would be a bad idea to get one of the square ones - it won't be on your wrist a lot because you really don't like it.
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2009, 02:43 AM   #4
ohlins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
get the br01...

it's a fun watch to have....

cheerss..

the hype is true. a crown for every achievement.
visit my audio and watch blog & how to use the rolex comfort link?
ohlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2009, 02:51 AM   #5
WatchSnob

I like the square one.... I do not think thats an 02 though, either 01 or 03.

If you feel the square one is big on you try on the 03 it is the smaller square.

I have the 03 and love it!

Both are great watches but the square models are more like airplane gauges and they are more of what most people think of when they hear B&R.

You really can't go wrong eihter way though.
WatchSnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2009, 03:08 AM   #6
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

You are correct, the GMT is 03-51. My bad.
Old 15 September 2009, 03:35 AM   #7
WatchSnob

Tony how did the 03 feel on the wrist?
That gets my vote hands down. I have the 03 Phantom
and LOVE it! It could never be a only watch for me as
it is tough under dress shirts and just not always right.

I love the 02 and do want one someday as well but the
03 was my first choice to put in the collection.
Old 15 September 2009, 04:15 AM   #8
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

The 03 felt awesome. Its crazy how light and comfy titanium is. I'm still somehow drawn to all the detail on the 02. In the end I think I may be trying to convince myself to get the 03 because its a good price. My guess is no matter what that some day I would buy an 01 with orange or blue numbers.

Decisions... decisions.....
Old 15 September 2009, 04:25 AM   #9
WatchSnob

If you like the 02 GET IT! If you do convince yourself to get the 03 you will never be happy.... The 01 is simply too big for my wrists :(
Old 15 September 2009, 04:38 AM   #10
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I would go for the 02, I like the shape, I too have tried on the 01 and it never suited my wrist, Ive not tried the 03 but that could change.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2009, 11:55 AM   #11
Ultraman
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=TonyD;1354568]
I tried on the larger square watches and did not really like them. I think the big square ones when I think B&R but it just didn't fit right. No curvature to the back so it sat funny IMO. So I ruled out most of the big square ones. (Which is weird because my other watches are big ones)

QUOTE]

Hi Tony,
Maybe look at the Welder K23? They have curvature to the back and comforatable as well from what I heard.

Good luck on you decision with the B&R.
Ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2009, 07:50 PM   #12
icnbne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega Seiko
the BR02 is the only B&R i would consider, others are just awkward
icnbne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2009, 05:07 AM   #13
chillviper
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona
BR02 Carbon. Awesome piece. I met the president of B&R America's and I can tell you that they are seriously customer service focused. I am looking at a BR02 Carbon Pro Dial, Hydromax and Space 3. I already have a BR03 Type Aviation Carbon.
chillviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2009, 03:45 AM   #14
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
That BR01 Heritage isn't an every day watch but would be a unique addition to your collection.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2009, 01:51 PM   #15
icnbne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillviper View Post
BR02 Carbon. Awesome piece. I met the president of B&R America's .
is he your boss?
icnbne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 04:13 AM   #16
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
My cousin has a black BR02. The markers appear blue - I think that's a "Carbon Blue".

The watch looks fantastic on the wrist.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote