The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 October 2009, 08:34 AM   #31
Blueoctopus007
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 16600
For years I looked at Macs in shops and drooled at their design, but stuck with PC.

Then I got an iPhone which is incredible and thought, if they can make a unit like this, then Mac is for me.

Bought my wife a 13inch and myself a 15inch macBook Pro.

Going for the new Mac and goodbye to PC, as I have MS Office.

Apple Macs are beautiful and brilliant. The service, packaging, ease of use, etc,etc,etc

Apple Macs=Computer Heaven

Why the hell did I wait so long???

DAYTONA SS 116520 V SERIES

SEA-DWELLER 16600 V SERIES
Blueoctopus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 09:21 AM   #32
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
XP Professional was the best Windows OS hands down Vista was a let down. I started with the ibooks just last year now I am on the Macbook Air then life changed when I got my iphone(s).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0011.jpg (50.5 KB, 47 views)
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 10:04 AM   #33
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueoctopus007 View Post
For years I looked at Macs in shops and drooled at their design, but stuck with PC.

Then I got an iPhone which is incredible and thought, if they can make a unit like this, then Mac is for me.

Bought my wife a 13inch and myself a 15inch macBook Pro.

Going for the new Mac and goodbye to PC, as I have MS Office.

Apple Macs are beautiful and brilliant. The service, packaging, ease of use, etc,etc,etc

Apple Macs=Computer Heaven

Why the hell did I wait so long???
That's what most of us ask ourselves after we get our first Mac.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 11:21 AM   #34
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Just orderd one 27inch!!

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 12:49 PM   #35
AIKO
"TRF" Member

I will NEVER buy a pc again. All Mac and Apple product for our family from here to eternity. All the colleges in our state use MAC as the official university laptops which I found interesting.
AIKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 12:52 PM   #36
meloncap78
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV C
They are nice. The only think I believe they skimped on was the video card. A 9400m?? Cmon Apple. My new MB pro has the 9400m standard as well as the PCI x 9600m GT (Hey, I need to play games too lol). Other than that though I think they will be a huge success especially with the new magic mouse.
meloncap78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 01:48 PM   #37
JBat
"TRF" Member

Macs have always kind of skimped on graphics cards. They aren't bad, just not top of the line. If you're a hard-core gamer, you're probably better off with a custom built PC, or better yet a console. That or get a Mac Pro.
Old 21 October 2009, 02:06 PM   #38
DanP
Banned

Watch: GV-U-Kno-Me :)
That mouse it crazy!!!! WOW!
DanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 02:45 PM   #39
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
simple - -much like Marmite you either love em or hate em...thought you might enjoy this ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r99w-gOtj4

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 02:46 PM   #40
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
oh - and by the way... I love my Macbook Pro...simply outstanding! But use a PC at work as it fits the systems better...

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2009, 01:58 AM   #41
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
Looks great. I am lining myself up for one of these - probably the 21 inch entry model. The 27 inch looks just too big
Old 22 October 2009, 04:16 AM   #42
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Steve Jobs Says Macs are cool and creative, so everyone had better get one. Everyone needs to creatively surf the web and creatively check email, which you clearly can't do on a PC.

Chug that Kool-Aid.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2009, 04:22 AM   #43
icnbne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega Seiko
the 27 incher looks great..
im starting to really hate my 24in..
icnbne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2009, 04:23 AM   #44
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
I think I want that Magic Mouse
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2009, 07:26 AM   #45
Slovak75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Rooney View Post
Steve Jobs Says Macs are cool and creative, so everyone had better get one. Everyone needs to creatively surf the web and creatively check email, which you clearly can't do on a PC.

Chug that Kool-Aid.
Amen!!
Slovak75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2009, 08:31 AM   #46
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:

Chug that Kool-Aid.
Well since you can't resist hijacking a simple pointer thread to disparge Macs...

There simply is NO question what's the best platform to manage photos, music, edit family videos, make DVDs, etc, etc, especially for the "non-IT geek" like most people. With Office for Mac, I use also use the best MS apps they make. Thank God they firewall the Mac division from those that made Vista. After 10 years of screwing around with PCs and MS, I made the switch. Talk about a breath of fresh air.

Most people just want stuff to work, they don't want printer companies blaming MS and MS blaming printer companies about why their printer won't. They hate searching for drivers and living in a cesspool of spyware and viruses. It's not about being cool, it's about not being hassled when you try to get some enjoyment or productivity from a tool you purchased. That they happen to be innovative, house the BEST in-house software, and look great are just a really nice by-products.

So why the attitude Ed? Nothing here telling you to buy one. If you don't like them that's cool, why the insult that people that own them by asserting they have just succumbed to some advertising BS? What happened Ed, some Mac owner take your milk money or something? Don't you something better to do like download some new drivers to gain basic functionality or update your virus protection?
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2009, 09:51 AM   #47
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Watch: 16610,PAM. 111, G
Quote:

Chug that Kool-Aid.
Brunotheboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2009, 10:14 AM   #48
JBat
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Chug that Kool-Aid.
Yeah, that's what happened. Enjoy your reboots.
Old 22 October 2009, 11:18 AM   #49
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Well since you can't resist hijacking a simple pointer thread to disparge Macs...

There simply is NO question what's the best platform to manage photos, music, edit family videos, make DVDs, etc, etc, especially for the "non-IT geek" like most people. With Office for Mac, I use also use the best MS apps they make. Thank God they firewall the Mac division from those that made Vista. After 10 years of screwing around with PCs and MS, I made the switch. Talk about a breath of fresh air.

Most people just want stuff to work, they don't want printer companies blaming MS and MS blaming printer companies about why their printer won't. They hate searching for drivers and living in a cesspool of spyware and viruses. It's not about being cool, it's about not being hassled when you try to get some enjoyment or productivity from a tool you purchased. That they happen to be innovative, house the BEST in-house software, and look great are just a really nice by-products.

So why the attitude Ed? Nothing here telling you to buy one. If you don't like them that's cool, why the insult that people that own them by asserting they have just succumbed to some advertising BS? What happened Ed, some Mac owner take your milk money or something? Don't you something better to do like download some new drivers to gain basic functionality or update your virus protection?
I just see Macs for what they are. It's not like I don't have any experience with them. I am far from a layman. I have owned or used a bunch, including the original 128K all the way up to the latest Macbook Pros. I've seen plenty of them jacked up from viruses and spyware. As computers go they are fine, and the OS seems to work. They aren't much different from PC's. My biggest problem is Steve Jobs. He is being more monopolistic and heavy-handed than Bill Gates ever was, but he has better Marketing. The world is giving him a pass. Does he have to testify before Congress to explain why he must bundle his browser with the Mac? Is the EU suing him? Why can't I run OS X on my Dell (actually, I have done it, but you have to really know what you are doing)?

It's just an opinion, but as a dissenter I certainly was attacked pretty quickly. The truly ironic thing is that the first Macintosh commercials in 1984 showed dissent in an Orwellian future. Now Steve Jobs is the new Big Brother, selling his white plastic and titanium, semi virus-free can't change your own battery so take it to a conveniently located Apple store Think Different as long as it's how we think different Utopia.
Old 22 October 2009, 12:07 PM   #50
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
That mouse it crazy!!!! WOW!
I agree it looks pretty cool, kind of like a touchpad built into the top of the top of the mouse.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2009, 12:15 PM   #51
JBat
"TRF" Member

Ed, please. I use both and have extensive experience with Windows based machines. Macs just work better overall, and the OS is more intuitive to use. Granted, computers are computers but I find it humorous that you talk about drinking from the Steve Jobs Kool-Aid pitcher while dipping into Bill Gates' private stash.

I don't agree with the suit brought against Gates, but the fact remains that the reason he was vilified like he was is because Windows has such a vast market share. The man has a big bullseye on his back. I could imagine Apple and Jobs getting the same treatment if the roles had been reversed.

Vista has been a complete disaster. Macs are different from PC's in that their OS's are inherently more stable. My pops worked as a software engineer for 45 years, and he hated Windows for intensive programming work. They just crashed too often, costing him hundreds of hours of work. Everyone he worked with felt the same way. Macs also only have to work for a few hardware configurations, as opposed to hundreds of possible set-ups for PC's. That only adds to system stability, IMO.

Macs are not a panacea. But, given the choice between a Mac and a PC for personal use, I'll choose the Mac every time.
Old 22 October 2009, 12:19 PM   #52
BigHat
Banned

Quote:
It's just an opinion, but as a dissenter I certainly was attacked pretty quickly. The truly ironic thing is that the first Macintosh commercials in 1984 showed dissent in an Orwellian future. Now Steve Jobs is the new Big Brother, selling his white plastic and titanium, semi virus-free can't change your own battery so take it to a conveniently located Apple store Think Different as long as it's how we think different Utopia.
I guess this is a pretty good sign, with 95% of the market, PC users are starting to feel "attacked." Might that be that you know you're saddled with a POS machine and OS? Might the humor of the Mac commercials ring a bit uncomfortably true?

Used to be Apple is too small to matter, now dissenters have to attack Steve as the new Big Brother. Things ebb and flow. I bet the new Windows OS will FINALLY be good. Lord knows they have the resources to field winning software. The crap they have been releasing is only newsworthy because it's so inexcusably BAD. I just changed horses in the very late 90s and haven't seen anything yet (yea still have to reboot my XP Pro machine at work every day) that makes me regret the move.
Old 22 October 2009, 12:51 PM   #53
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBat View Post
Ed, please. I use both and have extensive experience with Windows based machines. Macs just work better overall, and the OS is more intuitive to use. Granted, computers are computers but I find it humorous that you talk about drinking from the Steve Jobs Kool-Aid pitcher while dipping into Bill Gates' private stash.

I don't agree with the suit brought against Gates, but the fact remains that the reason he was vilified like he was is because Windows has such a vast market share. The man has a big bullseye on his back. I could imagine Apple and Jobs getting the same treatment if the roles had been reversed.

Vista has been a complete disaster. Macs are different from PC's in that their OS's are inherently more stable. My pops worked as a software engineer for 45 years, and he hated Windows for intensive programming work. They just crashed too often, costing him hundreds of hours of work. Everyone he worked with felt the same way. Macs also only have to work for a few hardware configurations, as opposed to hundreds of possible set-ups for PC's. That only adds to system stability, IMO.

Macs are not a panacea. But, given the choice between a Mac and a PC for personal use, I'll choose the Mac every time.
I can completely agree with one thing you said, and that is "Computers are computers". Properly set up, just about anything will do. A smart computer guy can work in Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Unix, BSD, Z-OS....I probably got more out of my old Commodore 64 than most do out of their Macs and PC's. Most people know just enough about their machines to tread water and then zap it when an OK/Cancel prompt comes up. I disagree that they are more intuitive to use. My litmus test, my 81 YO father and my 5 YO son both figured out Windows pretty quickly, whereas Mac OS gave them fits. I finally donated the Mac I had set aside for my kids to charity, and gave them an HP laptop running XP. My father's Mac is a paperweight now, due to Jobs forcing it's obsolescence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
I guess this is a pretty good sign, with 95% of the market, PC users are starting to feel "attacked." Might that be that you know you're saddled with a POS machine and OS? Used to be Apple is too small to matter, now dissenters have to attack Steve's as the new Big Brother. Things ebb and flow. I bet the new Windows OS will FINALLY be good. Lord knows they have the resources to field winning software. The crap they have been releasing is only newsworthy because it's so inexcusable. I just changed horses in the very late 90s and have seen anything yet (yea still have to reboot my XP Pro machine at work every day) that makes me regret the move.
I guess we will all have to agree to disagree. I'm sorry your XP Pro machine is unstable, but that's your IT guys fault, not MS. XP is a very stable OS, especially with me running it. The only problems I've had in 9 years of XP have been hard drive failures, and I've had 2 of those on Macs as well. Vista stinks, but 7 seems to be much better. Just so you know, Macs are made out of the same stuff as PC's. Same Intel Procs, same hard drives, same RAM, same video and sound cards. Darn near the same factory in China.
Old 22 October 2009, 01:08 PM   #54
BigHat
Banned

Quote:
I guess we will all have to agree to disagree. I'm sorry your XP Pro machine is unstable, but that's your IT guys fault, not MS. XP is a very stable OS, especially with me running it. The only problems I've had in 9 years of XP have been hard drive failures, and I've had 2 of those on Macs as well. Vista stinks, but 7 seems to be much better. Just so you know, Macs are made out of the same stuff as PC's. Same Intel Procs, same hard drives, same RAM, same video and sound cards. Darn near the same factory in China.
Well, I will agree with your point that the components are largely the same, it's the ability to control the marriage of the hardware and software that creates a synergy the PCs fail to match in day-to-day operations. I'd also assert that Bill Gates has generated more obsolete computers based an crappy but power hungry code than Jobs. In reality though, that's life in the realm of technology all around, so I don't fault anyone for this. I do give a thumbs up to Jobs though for the Snow Leopard that was focused on smaller, more efficient code rather than adding features sloppily appended which is the typical MS approach. I also disagree with the single data point you cite with your family. There are thousands of accounts of Mac OSX being much more intuitive than Windows, especially for kids starting anew with a computer.

I have a feeling about this but really don't have any data, maybe you do -- how many people are migrating from Macs to PCs? Most people over 40 using Macs probably had PCs and went to Macs based on some form of dissatisfaction. Is there any measurable migration the other way? While the market share is still skewed heavily toward MS, Apple is gaining market share. If true, that has to be for a reason.
Old 22 October 2009, 01:10 PM   #55
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Why don't you all agree to disagree!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2009, 01:23 PM   #56
JBat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I can completely agree with one thing you said, and that is "Computers are computers". Properly set up, just about anything will do. A smart computer guy can work in Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Unix, BSD, Z-OS....I probably got more out of my old Commodore 64 than most do out of their Macs and PC's. Most people know just enough about their machines to tread water and then zap it when an OK/Cancel prompt comes up. I disagree that they are more intuitive to use. My litmus test, my 81 YO father and my 5 YO son both figured out Windows pretty quickly, whereas Mac OS gave them fits. I finally donated the Mac I had set aside for my kids to charity, and gave them an HP laptop running XP. My father's Mac is a paperweight now, due to Jobs forcing it's obsolescence.

Same stuff but in vastly greater possible combinations. It makes a difference.