The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 November 2009, 11:06 AM   #1
znobleman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Milgauss
Leaving a Legacy

TRF:

I have four strapping young sons and I plan on starting a new family tradition. Each son will get a Rolex when they turn 21. The questions are as follows:

1) If you were to buy 4 watches what would you recommend and why?

2) Many of you are a wealth of knowledge on these issues... How often does Rolex change their lineup or bring back an old one. (I have a 2009 Milgauss.. which to my understanding is the resurrection of an old line that was discontinued.)

Just thought I would probe the collective mind of TRF. If you have any other suggestions on tradition for the boys let me know.

Mike
znobleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2009, 11:19 AM   #2
marshallr47
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,TT Sub,GMT
Subs would make perfect gifts. Those watches are also legacies so I think it would be a perfect fit.
Old 22 November 2009, 11:26 AM   #3
JohnEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Red1680 metres 1st
I'd go with a 14060M COSC no date, a 16610 sub date, a 16610LV green sub date and a 16600 Sea Dweller...

ALL classics, and probably to be discontinued soon

Great idea to do that Kinda like a Patek advertisement
Old 22 November 2009, 11:45 AM   #4
turboBB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ama call it?
Dad? Is that you? I'm coming home! A bit over 21 now but please, feel free to spoil me so we can catch up on missed times!

Seriously though... If the thought is to buy each a new one when they turn 21 then I think when the time comes (hold old is each son now?), it'd be best to make it a memorable day and let each pick their own.

If the thought was to purchase the four now so you can at least enjoy them for a while and then bequeath them upon your sons as they each turn 21 respectively, it'd still be hard to say becuase while it's a great gesture, will each of your sons appreciate fine timepieces? Perhaps there's something else of yours that they'd want more as an heirloom piece.

Obviously no one should look a gift horse in the mouth and I'm sure they'll cherish anything you pass on to them whatever the item but it's more to the point that the watch and more importantly, the moment, should be cherished and remembered by each and if fine timepieces is not their thing, then I'd think it'd lessen the impact of your original intent just a tad.

I hope that my son will grow to like watches as a hobby as much as I do but if not, I'm always on the lookout for Plan B.

Cheers,
Tim
turboBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2009, 11:54 AM   #5
Damavand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six...!!!....
Hi Mike;

My opinion, for your young lads, either Stainless Steel date Sub or SS GMT IIC.

Two great choices which will stay along with great memories...

Good luck and let us know your final choice.
Damavand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2009, 12:06 PM   #6
znobleman
"TRF" Member

Gentlemen,

Love the ideas so far! The boys are 9.7.5 & 2.. I am wrestling with the 2 year old over the laptop as we speak. The plan is to pick up the watches over time and keep them safe until the time comes. I don't think I could afford going to the AD each time. From what I have seen, a Rolex is good for life.. even beyond.. and it would be nice to have something that is passed down with all the memories to go with it. Dirt bikes get old.. guns rust out.. but a watch will be there for a long time.
Old 22 November 2009, 01:24 PM   #7
deserted
Banned

Watch: Patek 1909003
Indeed!
deserted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2009, 01:28 PM   #8
Speed
"TRF" Member

Would you adopt me???
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2009, 01:31 PM   #9
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by masugu View Post
would you adopt me???
+1
Old 22 November 2009, 01:47 PM   #10
znobleman
"TRF" Member

Not sure how adoption would work with the wife.... I am in the mid 30's so it might be a bit odd :)

What do you orphans think would be the best investment long term that will still look snazzy in a decade or two?
Old 22 November 2009, 03:38 PM   #11
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Just my 2 cents...whatever you end up getting, I recommend that they be fairly close in value. Don't get one the white gold Meteorite Daytona and the other an Air King (no disrespect intended)...although, on the other hand, you could get 4 different variations of Subs/GMTs (e.g. black TT, blue TT, etc.) and let them pick. I can't imagine that all 4 would want the same type of watch. Or...let the first one to graduate from medical school to get first dibs! :)
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2009, 03:47 PM   #12
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEaton View Post
I'd go with a 14060M COSC no date, a 16610 sub date, a 16610LV green sub date and a 16600 Sea Dweller...

ALL classics, and probably to be discontinued soon

Great idea to do that Kinda like a Patek advertisement
Like the 4 sub idea! 4 kids, 4 of the same line.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2009, 04:36 PM   #13
JohnEaton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
Like the 4 sub idea! 4 kids, 4 of the same line.
That was the idea

All four the same lineage, all four just a bit different...

Four very fine examples of classic Rolex and fitting perfectly from the beach to the board room and even with a Tux.

All four probably to be discontinued before any of these four son's 21st birthdays.

And wouldn't that make a great family photo shot? I could see that pic on the last few pages of WatchTime already
Old 22 November 2009, 04:58 PM   #14
Alsey
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II C
i love all the models mentioned, but perhaps let them choose..
Alsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2009, 05:01 PM   #15
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
How about you getting 4 subs - all the same.

This way, no one feels they got shorted out. If you buy 4 different Rolexes, even if they are variants of the Sub, I think you run the risk of having 1 or 2 boys feel like they got the short end of the stick.

Be careful.

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2009, 08:07 PM   #16
Leasky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118238 YG DD.
I think its a great idea.

My father bought me a TT DJ with MOP for my 21st, which was well over 2 decades ago.

The watch is still in incredible condition and holds so many dear memories as he tragically died just a few months after presenting me with it.

Your boys all look to be into out-door / activity stuff, so perhaps, as has been mentioned, a sports model may be more prudent.

You have plenty of time to make your choices.
Leasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2009, 02:14 AM   #17
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Great idea! Maybe try to match the watch to their personality as they grow, i.e one may be adventurous, a perfect match for the Explorer or Explorer II. One may love the water, the Sub is a perfect fit. One may have a love for airplanes or cars, GMT or Daytona....I think you get the idea of what I am trying to say. While getting each of them the same watch is a neat idea, getting one that matches their personality will show that you really put some thought into it. Also, writing a letter about them at the time when you purchased explaining your reasoning may be a nice touch also!
Scott

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2009, 06:16 AM   #18
znobleman
"TRF" Member

I really appreciate the thoughts that went into the posts... good stuff to think about as time goes on. Do you really think the classic sub will be a memory in 12-15 years?? If anyone is reading this and has young kids like me, I also keep a journal that I am writing to the boys as they get older.. so they can see what was going on as it was happening rather than just fond memories. As I am reading your posts I am rolling the ideas around in my head and it sounds like the key issues are equity and personality. Match each to the personality and keep it fair.

Keep the ideas coming. What do you folks see as the future of the current Milgauss??
Old 23 November 2009, 11:16 AM   #19
JohnEaton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by znobleman View Post
I really appreciate the thoughts that went into the posts... good stuff to think about as time goes on. Do you really think the classic sub will be a memory in 12-15 years?? If anyone is reading this and has young kids like me, I also keep a journal that I am writing to the boys as they get older.. so they can see what was going on as it was happening rather than just fond memories. As I am reading your posts I am rolling the ideas around in my head and it sounds like the key issues are equity and personality. Match each to the personality and keep it fair.

Keep the ideas coming. What do you folks see as the future of the current Milgauss??
Yes, I think all four, 14060M, 16610, 16610LV and 16600, will be discontinued before your sons reach 21. These are fairly close in value, have the same lineage and yet are all just a little different.

I've raised a few boys, and two only a year apart and another within a year of those two but with my ex-wife. It may not work the same with your boys, maybe I just didn't do something right with mine, BUT I tried to get identical things, (toys, pellet rifles, bicycles, etc) and there was always a disagreement when something was misplaced or broken as to what actually belonged to which boy. This stopped when I got them similar priced motorcycles that were different, one a YZ250, one a CR250R and one an XR200R, and the girl an CRF100F. There was no more "fighting" over that's mine, no that's mine... And they would actually swap bikes between each other at times.

So I still stick to my original advice.
Old 23 November 2009, 12:14 PM   #20
mike
"TRF" Member

It's a wonderful thought, I've done it myself-twice.

I think references like the 16610/LV,14060/M,16710, etc... will always be classic pieces and more so as time marches on. These may well be the last references that link us to a storied history that forged the Rolex legacy.

Consider however the value to your sons when the time comes that not only were these the pieces of a bygone era, but one's they saw Dad wear as they were growing up. Such is the legacy of a true heirloom piece.

Perhaps getting the watches over time, wearing them, building the history and memories for them as only you can do might be the most cherished thing to them when they receive their watches.

Match the watches to your personality....they will remember.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2009, 12:23 PM   #21
cobblecanyon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damavand View Post
Hi Mike;

My opinion, for your young lads, either Stainless Steel date Sub or SS GMT IIC.

Two great choices which will stay along with great memories...

Good luck and let us know your final choice.

+1
cobblecanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2009, 02:10 PM   #22
multimedia
"TRF" Member

What a nice idea!

Definitely deserves a couple of

Good luck.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 23 November 2009, 02:27 PM   #23
Carlo Miguel

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Expy, Sub, GMT and sea dweller would be nice for them....and maybe you base each watch for their personalities or lifestyle...
Carlo Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2009, 10:18 PM   #24
SwissBlood
"TRF" Member

Here's what I did...

I presented my son with my 14060M for his college graduation

It was my first Rolex and he saw me wear it for the two previous years. So it has some of my history on it.

SwissBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2009, 12:57 AM   #25
sandytn

A very nice gesture. I am sure your sons will cherish their watches.

I would think SS Subs or GMTIIs would be nice options, since they will probably always be classics. Having said that, you have a long way to go before some of them turn 21 and options my change dramatically during that time period.
sandytn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2009, 05:40 AM   #26
znobleman
"TRF" Member

Folks... Great picture and great comments. I like the thought of having to wear the watches over the years... My wife might take issue with the practice and owning and wearing 5 at any given time... But it sounds good to me :) I can think of 4 more that I would like.... And I would definitely like to help build charecter into them:)
Glad to hear that some of you have done the same.
Old 25 November 2009, 06:27 AM   #27
SimonF
"TRF" Member

Well as the father of an 18 year old can I advise one thing. 4 identical SS Subs.

SS Subs because you want them to live with them, they need to be not too flash, hard wearing and "Laddish". The watches are for them - not you.

Identical because a) you may not think it but there will be rivalry, b) it will bond them, it will be a mark that they are your sons, the blokes with Subs.
SimonF is offline   Reply With Quote