The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 1 January 2007, 01:48 AM   #1
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
New 2007 Techno Goodbye.

Well I think I have finally got to the last straw as far as technology is concerned and the non delivery of a finished product. With patching upgrading,etc and features that a bit like the Doughnut maker, Sandwich toaster, DIY candy floss machine have done nothing more then sit in the corner grinning at me as a reminder to the foolish moments when the coercive advertising convinced me it was a good idea. While I was too busy helping build the next technological breakthrough. Not to speak of the stack of old and broken PC's, printers, monitors, TVs, games machines (all with the same games on them) and a myriad of other electrical goods that have served to do nothing more then perpetuate the next big breakthrough in antitainment.

What tripped me you may say? or not! Well when the next generation is already noticing that the social interaction of the children (their children and others including grandchildren) brought together at Christmas comprised of a sofa full of ars#s each with a Nintendo or PSP,DS all playing different games and not even talking to each other, then I have to say that life could not get any technically dumbed down or dumber, the only thing that was missing was feeding tubes lowered from the ceiling.

As of the new year any new tech is barred, so that I don't end up buying into that long running dependency on the next advertisements Piled audio enhanced stream of nothing worth watching, or listening too, while gradually having my income eroded by 50p here and there.For increases for services that take up less then 2 hours of my day but cost me a 5th of annual earnings or bleeding pension.

I jumped the technical bandwagon and had a chance to watch from the sidelines as the self perpetuated insomniac driven mobian helterskelter rolled on into oblivion. And in so doing I got to taste the stuff I was drinking and eating (or more to the point scoffing to keep up with timescales) and realised that technology did not equal QOL (Quality of Life) or product come to that. Food is now tasteless (a curry does not qualify as taste) and entertainment consists of incoherent loud mouth ranting that is usually reserved for psychotherapy.

We now tune in the UK to see people being sick, having a dump, having sex and masturbating to see who can gain the sperm launching world record, big Brother and the Xfactor. Subtle comedy and entertainment has died, period dramas are now like the ghost written 'My life since I was born' by 'I was a superstar at 10 years old thanks to media hype and/or daddy's money' books.

It was once said the more you got the more you had to go wrong. Well there are now more people so I guess theres a lot more wrong and the same can be said for the technology that supports it.

So no HD TV with free remote and free viewing for which we the advertisers will get the money back once the family is hooked, or mobile phone with 200 minutes free but when you do call expect the credit bill to rock. No more syphoning of the bank balance 6 months later on interest free deals or buy now pay forever schemes that are swamped in protective small print contained within the star of the pling the size of a microdot.

Entertainment will now revert to the pick me up entertainment with the only breaks being chapter breaks, with ad free cerebral viewing and no digital break up or system crashing (excluding misprinting and page tears, or mind failure).

Yes you can start to shove the digital age up your jacksey, never thought I would come to this being a prodigy of the technical age. And at one point a big proportionals of its 'benefits' but I guess as with all things developed to help humanity, they soon get crafted into the next weapon of choice to liberate people from their freedoms and their pay-cheques.

But I hear some of you say, if you don't employ the latest security, the most up to the minute gadgets, the better running car the ergonomically designed aerodynamic handbag for the missus, the computer controlled cooker, the service (DIY) driven ineptertainment systems, the spy in the sky tracking and tracing for your own and your families security where will you be? Where will I be! I'll be sat on my ars#, reading a book engaging the grey cells, drinking a quality single malt drink. That I took the time to test and flavour enjoying a comfortable chair in a quite and relaxing environment.

Gone will be the days of ferrying to the repair man or downloading that patch, or analysing the TV pages. Or trolley racing around the shopping centre or long protracted discussion with some mumbling guy the other-side of the universe trying to reset my access code to the hyper-service-self-evaluation-ebidding-barginwantnot.com. Or some similar 'service' no its just me the garden and this book a pint and a single malt and comfy chair.

So Welcome to you 2007 the anti-tech year... oh and if your passing don't worry about saying hello. I wont look at you as if your going to mug me, in-fact I will already be prepared because I know you will be, or at least trying to.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2007, 03:52 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Good post, Padi. Too much technology can sometimes make life complicated for us older folk, uh?

The ONLY complicated thing I like in my life are my 2 Rollies!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2007, 03:56 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Good post, Padi. Too much technology can sometimes make life complicated for us older folk, uh?

The ONLY complicated thing I like in my life are my 2 Rollies!!
Well JJ as for technology,can work myself around most things,but today there is just too much technology,for the sake of technology.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 1 January 2007, 05:56 AM   #4
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
No need for Prozac or Paxil any more. An entire generation is being raised with the aid of electronic tranquilizers.
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2007, 07:29 AM   #5
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Myself I'm comfortable with it all. It has brought both positive and negative things. Remember the dawn of the steam engine? Scientists in the 19th century calculated that people would die if a train would pass the speed of 29 miles an hour. Anyhoo, I bought Anne a digital photo frame for Christmas and this is really brilliant! A must have. 300+ pictures in a perpetual slide show, the best thing since sliced bread. This too, is modern technology!
Old 1 January 2007, 07:53 AM   #6
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch View Post
Myself I'm comfortable with it all. It has brought both positive and negative things. Remember the dawn of the steam engine? Scientists in the 19th century calculated that people would die if a train would pass the speed of 29 miles an hour. Anyhoo, I bought Anne a digital photo frame for Christmas and this is really brilliant! A must have. 300+ pictures in a perpetual slide show, the best thing since sliced bread. This too, is modern technology!
Nah, the best thing since sliced bread is E-Z Pass. Put one of those passive transceivers on your dash and you whip right through the toll booths without stopping while everyone else is backed up for half a mile getting change for the $20 bill they just handed to the toll collector to pay the $0.50 toll.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2007, 08:02 AM   #7
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
Nah, the best thing since sliced bread is E-Z Pass. Put one of those passive transceivers on your dash and you whip right through the toll booths without stopping while everyone else is backed up for half a mile getting change for the $20 bill they just handed to the toll collector to pay the $0.50 toll.
We will get this next year, ehhhh, I mean in one hour from now. So, you are happy paying toll fees? I'm not
Old 1 January 2007, 08:06 AM   #8
amanda
Banned

I agree totally Padi! I just want a mobile phone that is a phone, NOT an MP3 player NOT a Camera, NOT a Video Camera, DONT need blueteeth and I dont need a radio! arrrggghhhhhhh or any of the other wizz bang techo crap they put in them thesedays!!!!

Do you know how hard it is to fine a normal mobile phone??? VERY!

amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2007, 08:10 AM   #9
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
I agree totally Padi! I just want a mobile phone that is a phone, NOT an MP3 player NOT a Camera, NOT a Video Camera, DONT need blueteeth and I dont need a radio! arrrggghhhhhhh or any of the other wizz bang techo crap they put in them thesedays!!!!

You're just a Luddite Get with it girl, it's 2007, not 1907!
Old 1 January 2007, 08:17 AM   #10
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:

I felt the same way Amanda. Then I got a new phone last yearwith all of the stuff because it what was available. Now guess what, I love the features.

I use the bluetooth, camera, and text messaging all of the time. I would now be lost without them. My phone is also an MP3 player, but I really don't have a use for it, so I don't use it.

In NYS where I live, talking on a cell phone while driving without a hands-free device results in a $100 fine for the first offense. That's where the bluetooth comes in handy.
Old 1 January 2007, 08:17 AM   #11
Rockrolex

Quote:
We will get this next year, ehhhh, I mean in one hour from now. So, you are happy paying toll fees? I'm not
No, I'm not happy paying them but the alternative is to take the old roads that take you through every city and town between DC and New York. That would only add three hours to the drive time. So am I willing to pay $15 to cut three hours from door-to-door time? What do you think?

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 1 January 2007, 08:18 AM   #12
mailman

Quote:
No, I'm not happy paying them but the alternative is to take the old roads that take you through every city and town between DC and New York. That would only add three hours to the drive time. So am I willing to pay $15 to cut three hours from door-to-door time? What do you think?
That's a no-brainer Chief
Old 1 January 2007, 08:28 AM   #13
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think you just bill your clients for that I'd like to add more to this but I have to crack open a bottle of Champagne as we are close to 2007! Talk to you later my friend
Old 1 January 2007, 08:29 AM   #14
mailman

Quote:
I think you just bill your clients for that I'd like to add more to this but I have to crack open a bottle of Champagne as we are close to 2007! Talk to you later my friend
Have one for me. Happy New Year to you and your family
Old 1 January 2007, 08:32 AM   #15
Rockrolex

Quote:

Get with it, Amanda. Imagine if you can get rid of all those separate gadgets and have everyting in one small package. My Treo 700w has a phone (obviously), a PDA which contains my life - all my appointments, my passwords, and all the other stuff you put into a PDA, I can send and receive e-mail so I can stay in touch while on the road, it's got a camera for the occasional odd shot you want to take, it's got bluetooth so when I'm in the car I can make and receive calls hands free without taking my eyes off the road. Mine even has MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint so I can do some limited editing of documents without having to lug around a laptop.

And it comes in a realatively small form factor.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 1 January 2007, 08:51 AM   #16
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Get with it, Amanda. Imagine if you can get rid of all those separate gadgets and have everyting in one small package. My Treo 700w has a phone (obviously), a PDA which contains my life - all my appointments, my passwords, and all the other stuff you put into a PDA, I can send and receive e-mail so I can stay in touch while on the road, it's got a camera for the occasional odd shot you want to take, it's got bluetooth so when I'm in the car I can make and receive calls hands free without taking my eyes off the road. Mine even has MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint so I can do some limited editing of documents without having to lug around a laptop.

And it comes in a realatively small form factor.
Trust me, I am with it. I am a Senior Systems Engineer... I mess with IT crap all day long... which is probably why I cant be bothered with it outside of work! I had an Imate Jam a year ago and found myself doing far more work outside of work than was necessary.... so I got rid of it

I use my 8GB Ipod Nano and radio doodad every day, the phone sits in my bag and gets used when I need it. I'd rather use a real digital camera than the ones provided in phones, they are still not good enough!

If the phone rings in the car (I only do 8000kms per year if i am lucky) I ignore it. You get fined if caught driving and using phone in Australia too.

I am also on call for work every few weeks, I HAVE to have it with me at all times then... so when I hand that phone back, I like to know I dont have to carry my personal one around with me! Freedom.... ahhhhhh love it
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2007, 07:38 PM   #17
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Well this year I am sticking to reading,the odd single malt, my comfortable chair.The garden and sod the latest must have at all costs technology,now if they would only bring back steam radio and TV. Perhaps then we would have some good programs to watch instead of all the Americanised crap TV.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club