The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 30 December 2006, 04:30 PM   #1
kingblackbolt
"TRF" Member

Shipping a Rolex over Canada USA border?

Greetings all,

Can any experts out there fill me in on how I can ship a Rolex over the US/Canada border with out duty or tax hassle? If you pay for something using "Paypal" (www.paypal.com) the seller needs to send your item to your home address which Paypal has on file and in this case they are in the US and I am in Canada...

What shipping method or labelling can I use to avoid any delays or huge charges?

Thanx all!

“Hail to the king, baby" Ash (Army of Darkness 1992)
kingblackbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2006, 09:50 PM   #2
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
As of April '06 Canada has reduced import tax on watches to 5% of their appraised value plus the 14% PST & GST you'd pay anyway if you bought it in Ontario. If you can have the seller indicate a lower value on the Customs declaration form, you'll pay less duty/tax.

IF the seller is willing to label the package as "watch parts" and IF he declares the value at $250 or so and IF it doesn't get inspected by Canada Customs and IF it doesn't go missing in the mail you would save some money. Most sellers won't do that, however, because if it does get lost in the mail the seller can only recoup the declared value.

Btw, at least one person I know has run into a problem by smuggling (and that's what it is) a Rolex into Canada. His insurance company will not insure the watch unless they have proof via a paper trail that it was obtained legally. That includes Customs documentation if it's purchased from outside Canada.

For more info:
Canada Border Services Agency
1-800-461-9999
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2006, 10:07 PM   #3
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
When I lived in Canada in the first half of 2006, it was almost impossible to get a Rolex into or out of Canada/USA without some sort of charge. The major shippers, Fed Ex, UPS won't touch them for shipping, Canada post would if you lie about whats in the box(big trouble),but you dont want to do that because if it gets lost and there is a claim...someone is going to loose big time.

I sold my SS DJ to someone in the US and I had no way to ship it to him, no one would touch it, so we agreed to cancel the transaction and I kept it.

Personally I would never buy a Rolex unseen...I dont care what kind of deal it is. I have to try it on, and see it first hand before I shell out that kind of dough......buts thats just me.

Flyjet601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2007, 04:37 AM   #4
oldbreadstinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyjet601 View Post
When I lived in Canada in the first half of 2006, it was almost impossible to get a Rolex into or out of Canada/USA without some sort of charge. The major shippers, Fed Ex, UPS won't touch them for shipping, Canada post would if you lie about whats in the box(big trouble),but you dont want to do that because if it gets lost and there is a claim...someone is going to loose big time.

I sold my SS DJ to someone in the US and I had no way to ship it to him, no one would touch it, so we agreed to cancel the transaction and I kept it.

Personally I would never buy a Rolex unseen...I dont care what kind of deal it is. I have to try it on, and see it first hand before I shell out that kind of dough......buts thats just me.

you mean i can't ship a rolex into us by courier?
oldbreadstinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2007, 04:53 AM   #5
Atomic

It is a crap shoot, by not declaring.

Hell, I just had a strap for the 01 arrive today and the customs idiots tagged it with a $5.00 handling fee and $3.41 in taxes. No biggie... but the way bill clearly said used watch strap, value $20.

Its the first strap for the 01 I have been nailed on out of about 15 straps I have had incoming in the past nine months. They check randomly so you never know.

The other option is getting a PO box on the other side of the border and having it shipped there, then bring them across yourself, and its up to you to declare it or not.

Good luck.
Old 3 January 2007, 04:56 AM   #6
oldbreadstinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
It is a crap shoot, by not declaring.

Hell, I just had a strap for the 01 arrive today and the customs idiots tagged it with a $5.00 handling fee and $3.41 in taxes. No biggie... but the way bill clearly said used watch strap, value $20.

Its the first strap for the 01 I have been nailed on out of about 15 straps I have had incoming in the past nine months. They check randomly so you never know.

The other option is getting a PO box on the other side of the border and having it shipped there, then bring them across yourself, and its up to you to declare it or not.

Good luck.
does it apply to rolexes only or would i get taxed for everything i send over??
is everything taxed over there?
Old 3 January 2007, 05:01 AM   #7
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbreadstinks View Post
does it apply to rolexes only or would i get taxed for everything i send over??
is everything taxed over there?
Any goods coming over the border into Canada are subject to being taxed for excise, goods and services tax and provincial sales tax (where applicable).

If something gets through unscathed, you got lucky.
Old 3 January 2007, 05:03 AM   #8
oldbreadstinks

Quote:
Any goods coming over the border into Canada are subject to being taxed for excise, goods and services tax and provincial sales tax (where applicable).

If something gets through unscathed, you got lucky.
even if its a gift i send over to my friends? so if i send something like a racket or golf club over the recipent's going to get taxed before he can receive the present??????
Old 3 January 2007, 05:56 AM   #9
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbreadstinks View Post
even if its a gift i send over to my friends? so if i send something like a racket or golf club over the recipent's going to get taxed before he can receive the present??????
I am no expert, but I have had things purchased commercially and shipped across with no charge and I have had stuff marked gift and have been charged. Our system is willy-nilly.
Old 3 January 2007, 06:29 AM   #10
Goldsplinter

Quote:
I am no expert, but I have had things purchased commercially and shipped across with no charge and I have had stuff marked gift and have been charged. Our system is willy-nilly.
Ah, maybe you could do it through a corporation or something? Like run it as a business expense or something...
Goldsplinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2007, 06:38 AM   #11
hutchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: All things Patek
Simply take the drive to NY state, you can't be more than an hour away and ship it from any USPS or UPS store.

Warren Buffett
hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2007, 06:41 AM   #12
Atomic

Quote:

Good luck.
hutchman
Simply take the drive to NY state, you can't be more than an hour away and ship it from any USPS or UPS store.

When in doubt, this is always the path of least resistance.
Old 3 January 2007, 03:25 PM   #13
rolexfan21

Watch: 16610
Okay I dont really know the "rules" when it comes to shippin stuff across the border but this is what i think i know...

legal way:
- when you buy the rolex in the states, and want to bring it over into Canada, you have to pay tax unless you get the guy to SHIP it over to you. then i think you only have to pay one of the taxes...

illegal way:
send the box/certificates/allthatotherjunkexcept through FedEx, and wear the rollie on your wrist ;)

but MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY TAGS ON YOU... no place where you bought the rolex etc...

I had that happen to me and boy... did I pay... bigtime...
rolexfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2007, 04:06 PM   #14
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Its the first strap for the 01 I have been nailed on out of about 15 straps I have had incoming in the past nine months.
so you were buying straps before you got your 01 then eh????
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2007, 11:39 PM   #15
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
so you were buying straps before you got your 01 then eh????
No, but a very kind friend in Dallas sent me a starter kit.