The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 28 September 2009, 01:17 PM   #1
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Honest thoughts on the Emergency

I have ALWAYS like the Breitling Emergency. It's the aesthetics! Just something about its robust look.

The only drawback to me is the fact that it is quartz. I wish there were some way that this timepiece could be what it is with an automatic movement. Still it is a really desirable watch to me.

Did they ever make this watch in a mechanical movement? Seems like I remember seeing one, but not sure.

Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2009, 03:00 PM   #2
turboBB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ama call it?
You might be thinking of the non-LCD version (caliber 73) called the Emergency Mission but both that and the Emergency (caliber 76) were SuperQuartz.

I don't recall there ever being a mechanical version.

Tim
turboBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2009, 03:34 PM   #3
Lol-x
Facilitator

I like this model too.

What is 'superquartz'?

Ultraman (Brandon) has an awesome piece I hope he can post a photo.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2009, 03:39 PM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
I have ALWAYS like the Breitling Emergency. It's the aesthetics! Just something about its robust look.

The only drawback to me is the fact that it is quartz. I wish there were some way that this timepiece could be what it is with an automatic movement. Still it is a really desirable watch to me.

Did they ever make this watch in a mechanical movement? Seems like I remember seeing one, but not sure.

If you're asking for an honest opinion, Richard, then here ya go.....

First off it's a quartz - so every time you have to replace the battery, it's gonna cost you a bomb because I'm sure they will have to check the waterproof seals, gaskets, etc......not to mention the cost of the special battery that would go into a watch of this calibre.

The emergency knob sticking out on the side is an eye-sore. And a function you will NEVER use in your life.......unless you plan on becoming a CASTAWAY like Tom Hanks in that film!!

The problem with such a watch is that you may eventually get tired of it and then try to sell it. The hit you will take on its resale will be devastating!!

If you're going to be spending that kind of dough, add a few more $$$ and buy a Rolex!!

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2009, 03:46 PM   #5
abigsecret
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
If you're asking for an honest opinion, Richard, then here ya go.....

First off it's a quartz - so every time you have to replace the battery, it's gonna cost you a bomb because I'm sure they will have to check the waterproof seals, gaskets, etc......not to mention the cost of the special battery that would go into a watch of this calibre.

The emergency knob sticking out on the side is an eye-sore. And a function you will NEVER use in your life.......unless you plan on becoming a CASTAWAY like Tom Hanks in that film!!

The problem with such a watch is that you may eventually get tired of it and then try to sell it. The hit you will take on its resale will be devastating!!

If you're going to be spending that kind of dough, add a few more $$$ and buy a Rolex!!

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck - JJ
Well said JJ!

He who knows no foreign language does not know his own.-Goethe
abigsecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2009, 04:11 PM   #6
icnbne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega Seiko
I hate that the dial has digital as well, its an eyesore, especially when its a yellow dial. The black dial is seems pretty integrated though..
The watch seems too busy, and you get fined if you use the emergency radio inappropriately..
icnbne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2009, 04:13 PM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by children View Post
......and you get fined if you use the emergency radio inappropriately..
Even if you're being mugged in a brothel?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2009, 05:06 PM   #8
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
I think the emergency is very pretty, very well made, great presence and pure robustness and purpose...plus Breitling's thought to put an emergency signal was great in my humbvle opinion...now, the troubles with the frequency having been changed now, so the function being utterly useless, and the frequent battery change, which actually isn't a lot as far as I know, are secondary issues given its great looks, technology and pure pleasure of wearing it...a watch is to be enjoyed and the emergency desrves a nod

my only wish, it should have been a little more water-resistant to make it a 'complete' outdoor/hiking watch
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2009, 02:08 AM   #9
turboBB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ama call it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
What is 'superquartz'?
Basically, it's Breitling's TradeMarked name for a HEQ (High-End Quartz) movement that is super accurate to within +/- 15 sec./year (though they are usually more accurate than claimed).

These movements are also ThermoCompensated (onboard chip monitors temperature and adjusts rate of watch accordingly to maintain it's super accuracy).

Last but not least, as is the case with all Breitling watches, it's COSC as well (but in this case to quartz specs which is +/- 0.07 sec./day @ 23 °C vs. -4/+6 for mechanical).
turboBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2009, 03:05 AM   #10
ronin7

Watch: green submariner
have been fascinated by this watch in the past but to be honest i felt t was very expensive for a quartz watch even if breitling gave it a fancy name,heck even the ad was havin trouble mustering enough enthusiasim in trying to get me to buy one.settled for a chronomat evolution in the end which felt was more value for money.
ronin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2009, 03:14 AM   #11
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
As a pilot, I've always been fascinated with Breitlings offerings..

I hav found that the dials and functions for computing flight data is almosst imopossible to do without too much fidling and a magnifier to see, so I write the busy dials off as not my cup of tea..

This one is different as the dial is not so busy... but the ELT function, while interesting, is pretty short range..

All in all, this is a grat watch for affect, but not a lot of practicallity... Of course, you could say that for any watches designed for a particular niche, like the Yachtmaster etc..

I do see a few at some of the plane races at places like Mojave, etc...
Old 30 September 2009, 11:12 AM   #12
Lol-x
Facilitator

There are quite a lot of watches that have functions that are seldom used by the majority of wearers. Rolex for one.

There are versions of this style of watch made by Breitling without the emergency signal system, I think the model is called Aerospace.

It goes without saying that this watch is quartz but not just any ordinary quartz - 'super quartz'.

According to what I've heard Breitling is able to change the emergency frequency from the 200mhz to the new 400mhz frequency, so that isn't really a problem.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

Old 30 September 2009, 02:00 PM   #13
Ultraman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I like this model too.

What is 'superquartz'?

Ultraman (Brandon) has an awesome piece I hope he can post a photo.
Here it is..

Ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2009, 02:13 PM   #14
Ultraman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboBB View Post
Basically, it's Breitling's TradeMarked name for a HEQ (High-End Quartz) movement that is super accurate to within +/- 15 sec./year (though they are usually more accurate than claimed).

These movements are also ThermoCompensated (onboard chip monitors temperature and adjusts rate of watch accordingly to maintain it's super accuracy).

Last but not least, as is the case with all Breitling watches, it's COSC as well (but in this case to quartz specs which is +/- 0.07 sec./day @ 23 °C vs. -4/+6 for mechanical).
Spot on!

My B1 (SuperQuartz) has been accurate since the day I got and I synchronised the B1 with the UTC time on the Breitling website. Functions are great; you get alarms, dual time zone (2nd alarm as well), chrono fucntions, timer and backlighting. I got no complains for this Breitling. I would recommend this B1 to anyone.
Ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2009, 05:22 AM   #15
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
There are quite a lot of watches that have functions that are seldom used by the majority of wearers. Rolex for one.

There are versions of this style of watch made by Breitling without the emergency signal system, I think the model is called Aerospace.

It goes without saying that this watch is quartz but not just any ordinary quartz - 'super quartz'.

According to what I've heard Breitling is able to change the emergency frequency from the 200mhz to the new 400mhz frequency, so that isn't really a problem.

Yeah exactly, I agree. Not a watch for all that is for sure but can be a very useful item for one of those "you never know" situations if your into adventures or flying small aircraft. Some pilots may not want or feel the need for the extra locator beacon on the wrist. On the Discovery channel, the Survivor man has one Again, great for the extreme adventure seeker and a nice way to have a water resistant locator beacon always with you.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2009, 09:22 PM   #16
horseyride
"TRF" Member

I don't particularly like the model myself, but note that the frequency change will not impact the functionality of the model. So if you do get mugged in the brothel, you can expect the help to continue to arrive

http://www.breitling.com/modeles/pdf...210x148_en.pdf

Breitling Emergency:

Important information concerning the 121.5 MHz distress frequency

In its recent news bulletins, the COSPAS-SARSAT (International Satellite System For Search and Rescue) issued a reminder that it will terminate the 121.5 MHz emergency frequency satellite processing service on 1 February 2009. This information has caused a certain amount of confusion among Breitling partners and clients, who have been erroneously led to believe that this decision would render obsolete the main function of the Emergency watch. Breitling wishes to refute this assumption by providing some important additional information.

The COSPAS-SARSAT decision relates exclusively to the cessation of the satellite alert service. It does not affect the process of localizing victims, which will continue to be performed by emergency services operating on the 121.5 MHz frequency. According to COSPAS-SARSAT, this decision to terminate satellite processing of the 121.5 MHz emergency beacons “affects all maritime beacons (EPIRBs), all aviation beacons (ELTs) and all personal beacons (PLBs).” However, COSPAS-SARSAT specifically states that “other devices (such as man overboard systems and homing transmitters) that operate at 121.5 MHz and do not rely on satellite detection will not be affected by the phase-out of satellite processing at 121.5 MHz”.

The Breitling Emergency watch is one of the latter type of systems. (http://www.cospas.sarsat.org/)
horseyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2009, 09:59 PM   #17
Lol-x
Facilitator

At the end of the day Richard if the watch speaks to you, that is all that matters.

Good luck if you get it. I personally went for the B1 and hope to show it soon.

Old 29 October 2009, 10:36 AM   #18
kingblackbolt
"TRF" Member

If you like it then you should get it 100% but in my opinion... it has too much of a non-useful function that adds too much to the size of the watch for me to justify the price. Very unique to say the least but not really of any use in real life right? I have been able to wear one several times as a friend of mine owns it but it is just too much for my tastes... but to each his own right?

“Hail to the king, baby" Ash (Army of Darkness 1992)
kingblackbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2009, 10:39 AM   #19
Nick1959
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD
I am over quartz. that is a deal breaker for me
CX 20000 Swiss Military,Longine Grande
Nick1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2010, 02:53 PM   #20
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
Steve Fosset, the famous pilot who went missing, and was found a while later, wore a Breitling emergency. http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...sigb=1383jl3db

This is a cool function, but highly unlikely you'll ever use it. This is the only Breitling emergency I'd use. http://www.mens-watches-guide.com/im...cy_mission.jpg
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2010, 02:56 PM   #21
Safetrends
Banned

Watch: my hand. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDakarBmw View Post
Steve Fosset, the famous pilot who went missing, and was found a while later, wore a Breitling emergency. http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...sigb=1383jl3db

This is a cool function, but highly unlikely you'll ever use it. This is the only Breitling emergency I'd use. http://www.mens-watches-guide.com/im...cy_mission.jpg
Did not help Steve in an emergency, he is dead.

Safetrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2010, 07:54 PM   #22
H2F
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam & Lings
The Emergency will be more useful in "accuracy" during a rescue, rather than "initiating" the rescue effort in the first place. For that reason, it will be more useful to me because I fly a lot, rather than say, hike a remote mountain alone.

Battery change is expensive, because the transmitter will also need to be calibrated. However, the battery change is needed only every 2 - 3 years, and the 1st one is free from Breitling. So I'm looking at about $300-400 for the first 5 years or so of ownership -- with no other tuning/lubricating of movmnt, etc costs. Not too bad.

Also, the Emergency is rated for 30m, whereas the Emergency Mission (which is the one I owned) is rated at 100m.
H2F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2010, 09:45 PM   #23
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
I admire Breitlings they are great watches. The only aspect I hate about the brand is the hit I take when I buy one (bad resale). I have two and the resale on many Breitlings is about 1/2. Omega seems to be the same.

Check trusted grey market dealers as I have seen several for sale at a grey market dealer in town. The seller said it is a difficult watch to resale. I love the watch, I have never bought one as I have so many others I want to buy first. Good luck to you if you buy one post some shots.
Old 4 January 2010, 05:19 AM   #24
H2F
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam & Lings
By all means buy used Breitlings as they are very well made & easy enough to polish to a "like new" shine.

HOWEVER, not for the Emergency! Considering the unique potentially life-saving (if I'm not mistaken 23 cases of rescue involving a B Emergency watch thus far) feature that makes the watch a "Emergency" in the first place, I personally would be very hesitant about buying a USED Emergency.

Speaking of prices, many AD in the US will discount up to 30% off list for many models. That's very, very close to Grey market or eBay prices (of BNIB) B watches. The AD would come with full 2 years warranty.

Speaking of value, a new Super Avenger list for $4,550. At 30% off, it's less than $3,200. Many, many, many used SA sells in the $2,500 to $2,800 range, even those purchased more than a few years back. That's not a bad depreciation, imho.

Moral? Depends on the Breitling model.
H2F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2010, 03:03 AM   #25
jimmyk26
"TRF" Member

This is one of the watches that set Breitling apart. It offers features that aren't found on any other watch that I know of and I like the quartz movement. I understand that this is just my preference, but I don't mind quartz movements and when they are well executed I really like them; such as the SuperQuartz in the Emergency.

So yes, I like the watch, but I can like it and not want to own it. I have plenty of quartz watches already and there just isn't a place in my collection for the Emergency. If you like it, however, go and get it because it is distinctive and novel and is a fun addition to any collection.
jimmyk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2010, 07:09 AM   #26
AJC
"TRF" Member

Honest thought,

Not my cuppa tea.

Not knocking it but JJ basically nailed it. Quartz and the big bizzo on the side, however unlike JJ, I reckon save a few dollars and stay with Breitling.

However one deciding factor is, Do you like it. If you do that is all that matters.

Cheers
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 01:13 PM   #27
Beaumont Miller II
"TRF" Member

Breitling Emergeny

I got to tell you, I love this watch. I have my share of vintage Rolex tool watches, and I love this Breitling as well. I will admit that it is not for everybody. This is not your fly under the radar and not be noticed watch. It does make a statement. When you see our military men wearing this watch, you know its tough. My son and I watched the video that comes with the watch, and he told me earlier this week that he remembered it like it was yesterday. I waited until I found one with the blue dial and grabbed it. I have multiple bands that I wear it with. Here is the newest.

Beaumont Miller II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2010, 03:03 AM   #28
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
YUK....ill stick to my Rolex :)
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote