The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 January 2010, 11:38 AM   #31
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
If it didn't rattle it wouldn't feel right.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 12:15 PM   #32
gelshocker

Never had problems with the older type bracelet and clasps. I actually like them for their simplicity, and beautiful Rolex stamp It looks and feels so old skool

However, I have to admit the newer solid versions are more comfortable overall, ableit heavier. Cheers,
gelshocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 04:34 PM   #33
poppydog
Banned

Watch: Rolex Seadweller
I have a Seadweller and date Sub, both less than two years old and both used for diving and have experienced no problems. I also have a Tudor Sub on a Rolex bracelet that I bought in 1981 and which is still working perfectly and has never let me down in any way. I've read many complaints about the folding mechanism of the Rolex bracelet, but my observation is that it's a tried and trusted design. The Omega folding clasp "bit" is made from three pieces of steel that allow a degree of lateral movement that the Rolex does not. This puts a lot of pressure on the pin that holds the clasp together and which broke last year on my PO. Omega (apparently) doesn't replace the pin and put a completely new clasp on instead at a cost of £80!

I agree the Rolex clasp arangement may feel a bit "tinny" but it works. It's all very well to have chunky, thick steel bracelets, but they still have to be held together with comparatively fragile pins.

What sets Rolex divers apart in my view, is their "real-world" use that has influenced their design characteristics: military and Comex.

Just my tuppence worth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 029.jpg (72.8 KB, 80 views)
poppydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 06:29 PM   #34
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
They have a certain 'historic' appeal and can work satisfactorily for decades, but... still look & feels cheap. Fine back in the 70s, but not at today's prices with today's design/engineering capabilities. Also they feel too flimsy when open, as if could be easily bent by hand. The new clasps have had their problems, but they are a big step in the right direction - especially the Glidelock.

Cheers
Old 13 January 2010, 06:48 PM   #35
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
I dont like the new tapering bracelets and i have a Longines Hydro-conquest with a nice parallel 22mm bracelet which seems stronger than the GMT 11c. The new bracelets seem stronger in feel, but even they have their problems, never had any probs with my Sub or GMT.
RRGHOST1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 06:53 PM   #36
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
They have a certain 'historic' appeal and can work satisfactorily for decades, but... still look & feels cheap. Fine back in the 70s, but not at today's prices with today's design/engineering capabilities. Also they feel too flimsy when open, as if could be easily bent by hand. The new clasps have had their problems, but they are a big step in the right direction - especially the Glidelock.

Cheers
well said Clive
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 08:47 PM   #37
jdc
"TRF" Member

Rolex bracelets have stood the test of time, no problems with older style

jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 09:03 PM   #38
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfknauss View Post
Dan, I have been wearing my 5513 sub almost every day since 1978 (when I purchased it new) and have never had a problem with the clasp or bracelet.
Likewise SD subs too and using them what they was intended for with many 100s of dives underwater.And while working as a instructor and dive guide on various live-aboard boats world wide never ever had any problem with any fliplock oyster.On one occasion while wearing a SD bracelet held my almost 15stone dangling over the side a zodiac boat for several minutes until the weakest link the spring bar failed.But good job it did might have damaged my wrist a lot more.Watch was lost to the abyss watch easily replaced but body parts are not.The fliplock has a well proven track record in the field for almost 50 years.While the new clasp is a new kid on the block and it has a long way to go before it get the same credentials as the fliplock.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2010, 07:59 AM   #39
spuds
"TRF" Member

Watch: West Ham! COYI!!
Great info' Gents..... Thankyou!!

Life is not about how fast you can run or how high you can climb...........
It's about how well you can bounce!!

TRF HALL OF FAME JANUARY 2010
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2010, 08:02 AM   #40
Nicko
Banned

I have never worn the new style, but the old style on my Sub is very very comfortable. It's a heavy watch and I sometimes forget I have it on, right now I haven't taken my Sub off in 3 days and it feels like a part of me, total comfort.
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2010, 08:24 AM   #41
mascot

Watch: 16570
Hiya! Is there any difference on the bracelets on SUB V-series compared to older models?
///mascot
mascot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2010, 12:24 PM   #42
Wildwing
"TRF" Member

It's a Jubilee, not an Oyster, but it's the old style. And who out there is going to say it's not a work of art. No problems with it either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0076.jpg (67.9 KB, 59 views)
Wildwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2010, 04:31 PM   #43
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Watch: Isn't it obvious?
I have had problems with the clasps on all of my Subs opening when I hit the water on a dive. It has happened with all of them -- the Sub, TT Sub and SD. It is annoying and all too common.
Old 14 January 2010, 04:45 PM   #44
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

My "Z" Explorer II never opened up on me. I've never had any problems with it either. But after wearing a PO for about a month, I dont think I would ever go back to the old clasps. If they had the new clasps, I'd jump on it like white on rice. Only if I could find an awesome deal on a DJ with roman numerals. :)
Old 14 January 2010, 09:05 PM   #45
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
I've got a 50's DJ, and it's still OK.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2010, 09:34 PM   #46
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

I have had problems with my clasp.

All that money and only 50 years of continued use through three generations before a rivet went.

Rolex, that just aint good enough! Buy Omega!

J
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2010, 10:00 PM   #47
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbits76 View Post
I have had problems with my clasp.

All that money and only 50 years of continued use through three generations before a rivet went.

Rolex, that just aint good enough! Buy Omega!

J
Now very true Jim to some they may look flimsy, but in the real world with millions upon millions of Rolex world wide they sure stood the test of time.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2010, 10:11 PM   #48
republik-of-mancunia
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMT-IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Hi Dan,

Having owned several Rolex models, most of them the older ones with the hollow links and the older clasps, I can proudly say that I've NEVER had any kind of problems with the clasps nor the bracelets.

By the same token, no problems with my new clasp or bracelet either......nor my Ceramic bezel (which I haven't whacked yet!!)
same here after wearing my SS DJ every day for 13 years!
fingers are crossed that my new baby (a GMT-IIc) will be similarly reliable and robust!
republik-of-mancunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2010, 10:41 PM   #49
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Now very true Jim to some they may look flimsy, but in the real world with millions upon millions of Rolex world wide they sure stood the test of time.
And easy to repair Peter...a fellow member here Tylden Reed did a fantastic job with it.

That watch has been all over the place including jungles and deserts. Who says the clasps are flimsy?

53 years old this year and still ticking away!

J
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote