The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread

Old 14 January 2010, 02:27 PM   #151
haitek

Watch: Citizen quartz ;-)
Drsd

Hey ocwatchnewbie!

Thanks for your comment. I didn't know what I had until I went to sell it. I've got a much better idea now. I love this forum too, most informative.................a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocwatchnewbie View Post
what a cool read...like a real life detective novel...
good job guys...love TRF
Old 14 January 2010, 02:38 PM   #152
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haitek View Post
Hey CaveDiver!
Thank you for your questions.
Yes it was. The watch has been in the top drawer since the crown fell off the shaft. It runs well and keeps good time but not the correct time since it can't be changed atm due to the crown being off the pinion/shaft. I've been wearing it for the last week. Kind of like saying goodbye to it...............a
Amazing. That creates a question about needing a cleaning and oil every 5 years. How long had it been in the drawer?
Old 14 January 2010, 02:59 PM   #153
haitek

Drsd

Hey CaveDiver!

Thanks for your questions.
I hadn't worn it for about 15 Yrs so it's due for a clean etc., now, if it's going to be worn. It's running 57 minutes fast AEDST atm since that was the time I put it back on my wrist for the farewell party...........a
Old 14 January 2010, 03:01 PM   #154
haitek

Drsd

Hey again CaveDiver!

AEDST is Australian Eastern Daylight Saving Time..........a
Old 14 January 2010, 04:06 PM   #155
Barracuda
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD MKll
Nice watch Haitek

Your SN is earlier than mine, mine is 2.6 and has a MKll dial. Half the fun of owning a watch like this is finding out the provenance.

Good Luck!!

By the way, I didn't know what I had until I came here and asked too. Some of these guys know what they're talking about. It's been a pretty cool journey.
Old 14 January 2010, 05:28 PM   #156
haitek

Drsd

Hey Barracuda!

Thanks for your comments. Yes, it's been a learning process for me. I bought the watch in the early seventies because I had a demanding job and needed a tough watch. It turned out to be a good decision. The watch has done it's job and still works well. I'll be putting it up on ebay on the 16th January and crossing my fingers for a good deal..........................a
Old 15 January 2010, 03:37 AM   #157
DadsWatch72
Banned

Watch: DRSD 1665 #3551XXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocwatchnewbie View Post
what a cool read...like a real life detective novel...
good job guys...love TRF
This has been a very interesting thread. I have been very sceptical through most of the thread (as one wise member suggested). I haven't been a member for too long but........I have seen watches come and go for a while now. I have seen scams, fakes, frankenwatches, and everything in between since being on TRF. I have also seen some awsome watches, just awsome. I have learned a lot about Rolex and watches in general since on the forum, especially about my watch model. I have been driven to learn more about this particular model (my model). I think this is partly because I was one of those people that didn't know the value of my own watch at first. I guess I felt a bit silly for not knowing so I am studying these in detail now to allow me to differentiate the dials (Mark I, II, III, IV) from each other and from fakes. I also want to help others since I recieved so much help when I first arrived. If I can help by passing on what I have learned while spending hours staring at these dials and anything else, that makes me feel good. I hope nobody takes offense to my very "frank" questions. My questions are in pursuit of the truth and not designed to get anyone's "dander up". On the flip side of the coin, I also hope any knowledge I have gained protects anyone from getting burned by those that don't share in my value of truth. Haitek, I truely hope your watch brings everyone it touches good fortune.
Old 15 January 2010, 09:45 AM   #158
haitek

Drsd

Hey DadsWatch72!

Thank you for your comments. I too am finding this thread fascinating. After meeting a fellow Rolex owner the other day, I am more enlightened about this model and also much appreciate the time you have spent researching it. The whole process has made me very excited, not a thing that happens often with me. I live in a small, remote country town where not much happens except gossip and the annual agricultural show. This is better than watching a classic movie or reading a good book. Thanks again for your help...............a
Old 15 January 2010, 10:26 AM   #159
tandrup
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Hey Barracuda!

Thanks for your comments. Yes, it's been a learning process for me. I bought the watch in the early seventies because I had a demanding job and needed a tough watch. It turned out to be a good decision. The watch has done it's job and still works well. I'll be putting it up on ebay on the 16th January and crossing my fingers for a good deal..........................a
Have you thought about putting it up in the For Sale area here on TRF? My thinking is that you might get a better price for it here on TRF with all the research that people have done in here - and people now know a little more about the story of both you and the watch. Just a thought...
Georg Jensen 2347
Old 15 January 2010, 10:29 AM   #160
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513s
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandrup View Post
Have you thought about putting it up in the For Sale area here. My thinking is that you might get a better price for it here on TRF with all the research that people have done in here - and people now know a little more about the story of both you and the watch. Just a thought...
And a good one too.... world wide coverage as well.
Old 15 January 2010, 10:37 AM   #161
haitek

Drsd

Hey tandrup!

Yes I've tried a few times to put it in the 'for sale' threads but get a message as follows:

haitek, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Maybe I need more priviledges.................a
Old 15 January 2010, 10:39 AM   #162
tandrup
"TRF" Member

I am sure one of the Mods can help you with that. There is a rule about you having to have at least 16 posts and have been a member for 16 days - that's probably what you are running up against. Don't know exactly when you joined, but that might explain it.
Georg Jensen 2347
Old 15 January 2010, 10:45 AM   #163
haitek

Drsd

Hey tandrup!

It does indeed. I haven't been here for that long......duh! So how do I get in touch with a moderator?................a

Quote:
I am sure one of the Mods can help you with that. There is a rule about you having to have at least 16 posts and have been a member for 16 days - that's probably what you are running up against. Don't know exactly when you joined, but that might explain it.
Old 15 January 2010, 10:48 AM   #164
tandrup
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey tandrup!

It does indeed. I haven't been here for that long......duh! So how do I get in touch with a moderator?................a
They are probably watching us right now :-) Maybe they will chime in - don't know if they will make an exception though. Otherwise just wait for the 16 day thing to kick in and then post it.
Georg Jensen 2347
Old 15 January 2010, 11:14 AM   #165
haitek

Drsd

Yes, I guess in this case, patience is a virtue...............a
Old 15 January 2010, 12:36 PM   #166
Clogger

Watch: SS Sub Date
Umm an interesting read,

Not quite sure why you are so keen to get rid of the said watch in such a hurry now you know it to be worth a lot of money.

I am sorry to say (I am happy to eat humble pie if I am wrong) that there is something not quite right here and I am willing to be the first member to openly point this out.

It has already been stated by some member that the dial doesn't quite make sense with the serial number provided and a positive id by the photo is almost impossible due to the condition of the watch. (how strange!!)

I am do not an profess to be an expert on vintage watches but I am a little clued up in other areas and unfortunately this has a slightly odd feel to it.

The fact that the seller claims not to be clued up on ebay as he is new at it but had computer tech as a job title seems odd to me.

Strange that also on all of his web pages he only has the same info. Guys this would have taken 5 mins to set up.

I am sorry for being cynical but this is a very expensive item and due diligence is paramount.

Abi if you are genuine then I apologise in advance.

Although I am new here, I am honestly just trying to look out for people.

Last edited by Welshwatchman; 15 January 2010 at 09:51 PM..
Old 15 January 2010, 01:47 PM   #167
haitek

My Music

Hey y'all!

I have had so many requests for my music on Reverb Nation that I have posted some of my stuff there http://www.reverbnation.com/abinathan I hope you enjoy it................a
Old 15 January 2010, 03:42 PM   #168
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
They are probably watching us right now :-) Maybe they will chime in - don't know if they will make an exception though. Otherwise just wait for the 16 day thing to kick in and then post it.
OOOOhhhh, they are watchin alright. They see all.

Quote:
Hey DadsWatch72!

Thank you for your comments. I too am finding this thread fascinating. After meeting a fellow Rolex owner the other day, I am more enlightened about this model and also much appreciate the time you have spent researching it. The whole process has made me very excited, not a thing that happens often with me. I live in a small, remote country town where not much happens except gossip and the annual agricultural show. This is better than watching a classic movie or reading a good book. Thanks again for your help...............a

Your very welcome, its been fun. I know exactly how you feel because I was in your shoes when I found out about how much my DRSD was worth. I freaked out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alaska%201334.jpg (106.1 KB, 219 views)
Old 15 January 2010, 03:52 PM   #169
DadsWatch72
Banned

Mine

I don't know if you have searched for pictures of these watches on this forum but here are some pictures of my watch after a service. If you decide to send it off for service, I would recommend Bob Ridley. He will do this watch justice. A service will also increase its value, especially if done by Bob since he is so highly respected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture001-1.jpg (80.6 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg Picture%20116.jpg (193.3 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg Picture005-1.jpg (82.0 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg Picture005-3.jpg (53.5 KB, 214 views)
Old 15 January 2010, 04:59 PM   #170
haitek

Drsd

Hey DadsWatch72!

Your watch looks lovely, thanks for the pictures. I don't have the spare cash to fix mine up and have it serviced so I'll try to sell it as it is. Maybe there's someone out there who will appreciate it AND have the cash to do the job. I'm going to list it on ebay tomorrow for 10 days. Maybe just maybe someone will find it there and I will get a decent price for it. I live in hope..........a
Old 15 January 2010, 07:01 PM   #171
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
haitek, seriously, have you taken it to RSC in Sydney asking them to authenticate it?
RSC in Australia does authentication service and charges A$100 for the report.
You will find that this piece of paper will be worth the money for the increase price you can sell this watch for.
Give them a ring and check it out.
Of course if the watch is counterfeit, they will smash it.
Old 15 January 2010, 08:24 PM   #172
haitek

Drsd

Hey 2careless!

Thanks for your comments.
Yes I had considered it but I live 800Km north of Sydney and just don't have the cash for the trip and the authentication. I understand the paperwork would help matters but I'm financially embarassed atm. If I can't get a deal on ebay then that will be my only recourse. I know the watch is authentic but I guess that doesn't help a potential buyer to make up his mind. I'm between a rock and a hard place so I'll give ebay a shot and see what happens...........a
Old 15 January 2010, 08:28 PM   #173
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Here's my view.

If I were you I'd get the watch serviced by Rolex S.C before I sold it.

You would then have the correct paperwork and with some providence established, it would look like Dads watch, just a lovely example.

Beg or borrow, you will double your investment easily.

I would be interested in buying this watch at a fair price but .....

You would need to send it to me first and wait until Rolex Bexley have given me the lowdown and cost of refurbishment.

The risk would need to be 100% yours, since my reputation is established and yours isn't.

If any other member wishes to take a punt please note that any thread about difficulties (not that there would necessary be any, of course) will not attract much sympathy from me and many others.
Old 15 January 2010, 08:31 PM   #174
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
Here's my view.

You would then have the correct paperwork and with some providence established, it would look like Dads watch, just a lovely example.

You would need to send it to me first and wait until Rolex Bexley have given me the lowdown and cost of refurbishment.

The risk would need to be 100% yours, since my reputation is established and yours isn't.

If any other member wishes to take a punt please note that any thread about difficulties (not that there would necessary be any, of course) will not attract much sympathy from me and many others.
Definitely! Haitek, you should try and get the funds for a service. You'll get it back multiplied X-times!
Old 15 January 2010, 08:44 PM   #175
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Hey Paul, take a number, join the queue
Old 15 January 2010, 09:00 PM   #176
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2careless View Post
Hey Paul, take a number, join the queue
.. but am I alone in insisting that the seller take all the risk?

I can still remember how bloody hard it was to earn the pennies not to wire them to someone who I know nothing about.

Last edited by Welshwatchman; 16 January 2010 at 01:36 AM..
Old 15 January 2010, 11:12 PM   #177
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Here's my view.

Thanks Welsh. There you go Hitek, it doesn't get any better than that. All you have to do is send the watch to Welshwatchman. He has made you a very very good offer. He is a moderator and his offer will be top dollar compared to what you will get on Ebay (if you get any at all of Ebay). I know your new to the forum, but many on here have rock solid reputations. This IS the place to sell the watch for top dollar if done right. Not Ebay. His offer doesn't include you spending any money. The ONLY risk to you is finding out that that watch isn't genuine. If it turns out to be what we all HOPE it is, then you will come away with more than you could hope for. If you ask nicely, I bet Welshwatchman would even pay for the shipping to his house.
Old 15 January 2010, 11:25 PM   #178
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsWatch72 View Post
I bet Welshwatchman would even pay for the shipping to his house.
Spend my cash why don't you.
Old 16 January 2010, 04:11 AM   #179
DadsWatch72
Banned

Quote:
Spend my cash why don't you.
Please rephrase your answer in the form of a question.
Old 16 January 2010, 04:19 AM   #180
onkyo
Banned

Quote:
.. but am I alone in insisting that the seller take all the risk?

I can still remember how bloody hard it was to earn the pennies not to wire them to someone who I know nothing about.
Paul, you are not alone in requiring the seller taking the risk in a deal like this. I too would need to receive the watch first! I would inspect it from top to bottom, inside and out. Once I confirmed everything was good, I would send payment and then get it refurbished to like new, of course keeping the goodies good.

So please add me to the queue. (and I would pay more than Paul)

Haitek, you may find that watch a tough sell on TRF because your lack of history, especially for such an expensive watch. I doubt if anyone would take the risk. I truly mean no offense to you... you seem like a good natured and honest person.

So, my shipping address is ......
Closed Thread