The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 April 2010, 02:07 PM   #1
caveatesq
"TRF" Member

$15,900 for a used SS Daytona!?!?!?

Hit Tourneau on 57th St in NYC this afternoon. They had several newer "pre-owned" stainless Daytona and have the audacity to mark them at $15,900. I highlighted to the snooty sales woman that their asking price was nearly $6k over list for a new one. She assured me that the watch would sell quickly at that price. I laughed and wished her luck. Who would ever?
caveatesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 02:09 PM   #2
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Unless it had the Patrizzi dial, I'd have to say they're nuts. You could purchase a brand new one for that price, but I just don't get how they create their prices over at Tourneau.
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 02:14 PM   #3
uracowman
"TRF" Member

Don't Daytonas sell for over MSRP anyway?
uracowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 02:15 PM   #4
jcgs

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
I wouldn't pay anything over $10k for it...
jcgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 02:18 PM   #5
PeteNYC13
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveatesq View Post
Hit Tourneau on 57th St in NYC this afternoon. They had several newer "pre-owned" stainless Daytona and have the audacity to mark them at $15,900. I highlighted to the snooty sales woman that their asking price was nearly $6k over list for a new one. She assured me that the watch would sell quickly at that price. I laughed and wished her luck. Who would ever?

__________________________________________________ _______________

The same people that pay over $1,000,000.00 for a small one-bedroom apartment, $400 for a steak dinner, $15 for a movie...etc.
There is a lot of money in New York City and if someone wants it bad enough, the extra money is nothing, some of the folks in NYC make that money in minutes. I don't like Tourneu that much but they know what they are doing, their clientele and how much they will pay. I have told the story when I was looking at the GV Milgaus and before I could even put it back on the tray to "decide" someone came in asked for "that green Rolex" and had the credit card on the counter.

There is no need to laugh at her, just walk out and don't buy it. I will bet that it is gone tomorrow or the next day...also, that is their asking price, if you were serious about it and offered a reasonable amount, I am sure they would have negotiated. But telling her how wrong she is, likely not the best way to get a discount - neither is pointing out how much over retail it was.

Just curious for all the people that love to do that to Rolex dealers, do you go to the local Chevrolet dealer each Saturday and point out that they are charging a premium, above sticker for the new Camaro because they are the new "it" car?!

-Pete
SS Black Dial Daytona M116520
SS Explorer II D16570
PeteNYC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 02:42 PM   #6
therolexguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Are we sure it was the current model and not a Pre-2000 Zenith. They might command that.
therolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 02:50 PM   #7
Rolex Freak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgs View Post
I wouldn't pay anything over $10k for it...
X2.
Rolex Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 02:53 PM   #8
walds11
"TRF" Member

Same at my local Tourneau and it's a thin hands model. Crazy!
Old 4 April 2010, 03:30 PM   #9
moviefreak
"TRF" Member

Pete is right.. They know they charge too much.. But how many guys out there know how much they are really worth or even heard about the patrizzi dial before. The seller will repeat the typical "most sought after watch in the world" a few times and soon someone will want to be the one guy carrying "that unique watch"... To some people 15k are not important or too much money at all.. The want the Daytona and if they think 15k is fine they will just pay it..
I believe Tourneau are crazy but they know they can get away with pumping up the prices.. If not they would have lowered their prices long ago.
Old 4 April 2010, 03:35 PM   #10
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNYC13 View Post
There is no need to laugh at her, just walk out and don't buy it. I will bet that it is gone tomorrow or the next day...also, that is their asking price, if you were serious about it and offered a reasonable amount, I am sure they would have negotiated. But telling her how wrong she is, likely not the best way to get a discount - neither is pointing out how much over retail it was.

Just curious for all the people that love to do that to Rolex dealers, do you go to the local Chevrolet dealer each Saturday and point out that they are charging a premium, above sticker for the new Camaro because they are the new "it" car?!

-Pete
No one likes to do that to ADs who are fair to customers, Torneau isn't.

And, the OP was not looking to buy it so he could care less about being "nice" to the associate for a discount that he's not interested with.

I would do the same to a Camaro dealer.

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 06:01 PM   #11
TurboWatch
"TRF" Member

Patrizzi Daytona is NICE but

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle L View Post
Unless it had the Patrizzi dial, I'd have to say they're nuts. You could purchase a brand new one for that price, but I just don't get how they create their prices over at Tourneau.
I would not touch a Zenith Patrizzi Daytona unless it has serial number that starts with S,N,W, or T ( not even U ) and has a complete set with original paper stating that the watch came with BLACK DIAL. Without paper, there's no way to know. The RSC service paper does not tell you what dial it originally came with. I've seen lots of these so called Patrizzi Daytonas offered by unscrupulous sellers( without papers of course ) in the past 2 years. All had the Rolex replacement black dials (which are not subjected to color change like the original black dials ) "painted" or "smoked" by cigars to create the Patrizzi effect.
Be real careful people.
TurboWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 08:49 PM   #12
InVision
Banned

Watch: Outerspace DayDate
$15,900.00 seems a little high..........
InVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 09:34 PM   #13
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

I was in Tourneau in Westchester last weekend and they had a pre-owned SS Daytona, the tag also said $15,900 but the salesperson offered it to me at $11,900, what a sport! They know they are not selling it for $15,900, their strategy is for some idiot who does not know watch prices to think they got a great deal at $11,900, not knowing that Tourneau really hosed them.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 09:57 PM   #14
Gasoil4ever
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
I am quite sure they know what they are doing... and even if it is unreasonably high priced... they'll sell it...

That business...
Old 4 April 2010, 10:13 PM   #15
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Just another reason to feel sorry for the masses that are not as price savvy as we are here.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 10:43 PM   #16
Rscmaine
"TRF" Member

Watch: me pull a rabbit..
Quote:
__________________________________________________ _______________

-Pete
Heck, I sneer at prices at childrens lemonade stands and church bake sales!
Old 4 April 2010, 10:51 PM   #17
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Quote:
Yes...
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 10:54 PM   #18
Watch Professor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIC; Sub Date
Yet, Tourneau was willing to deal on a new GMT IIC V serial. They came off 15% in the NY area while no other area dealer would discount at all. This was 6 months ago when the GMT's were hard to come by. Go figure.
Watch Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2010, 11:04 PM   #19
caveatesq
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therolexguy View Post
Are we sure it was the current model and not a Pre-2000 Zenith. They might command that.
It was a current V series.
Old 5 April 2010, 12:56 AM   #20
PeteNYC13
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey_V View Post
No one likes to do that to ADs who are fair to customers, Torneau isn't.

And, the OP was not looking to buy it so he could care less about being "nice" to the associate for a discount that he's not interested with.

I would do the same to a Camaro dealer.
__________________________________________________ _____________

How is Torneu not being fair?! It's supply and demand, if nobody buys their watches, they can't afford to keep their stores open - let alone be the "largest watch store in the world".
Is it fair for the building owner in NYC to charge $2,700.00 for a studio apartment? I know from my life experience, it's a lot to pay but if you want that apartment, that watch, that dinner, you pay...and in New York City, if you don't pay, there are 1000 people lined up behind you to pay.

Spend a day on the NY Subway and tell me why you pay good money to ride in a stinky subway, full of trash?! lol - that's more over priced that a Used SS Daytona.

As you said, the OP wasn't even "buying", it sounds like he was looking...that's fine, but don't lecture the sales associate on how much she is charging - I am sure she couldn't care less what the 150th person of the day who came in to ask about the SS Daytona had to say about the price. All she cares about is the one that says, "I'll take it, here is my Credit Card".

-Pete
SS Explorer II D16570
Old 5 April 2010, 12:58 AM   #21
PeteNYC13
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rscmaine View Post
Heck, I sneer at prices at childrens lemonade stands and church bake sales!
__________________________________________________ ____________

I just report them to the IRS!

-Pete
SS Explorer II D16570
Old 5 April 2010, 01:00 AM   #22
gone-rolex-mad
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG daydate-Daytona
I love the daytona, but that is just insane!
Old 5 April 2010, 01:05 AM   #23
BMAN8
"TRF" Member

While 15.9k is too much for me for a SS Daytona , I agree with many others here who say that there are a lot of financially well-off people who don't have to worry about overpaying for a watch. If they want it, they'll get it - it's their money.
BMAN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 01:26 AM   #24
caveatesq
"TRF" Member

Quote:

How is Torneu not being fair?! It's supply and demand, if nobody buys their watches, they can't afford to keep their stores open - let alone be the "largest watch store in the world".
Is it fair for the building owner in NYC to charge $2,700.00 for a studio apartment? I know from my life experience, it's a lot to pay but if you want that apartment, that watch, that dinner, you pay...and in New York City, if you don't pay, there are 1000 people lined up behind you to pay.

Spend a day on the NY Subway and tell me why you pay good money to ride in a stinky subway, full of trash?! lol - that's more over priced that a Used SS Daytona.

As you said, the OP wasn't even "buying", it sounds like he was looking...that's fine, but don't lecture the sales associate on how much she is charging - I am sure she couldn't care less what the 150th person of the day who came in to ask about the SS Daytona had to say about the price. All she cares about is the one that says, "I'll take it, here is my Credit Card".

-Pete
I was looking to buy but the saleswoman was a real turn off - no way I was going to give her a commission. The same watch was at a gray dealer on 47th for $5k less. Guess that big fancy store and gimicky interest free financing have their cost.

I should also note that the watch was essentially brand new but in the pre-owned cases. If I didn't know better, I would think that Tourneau was selling their new Daytonas as used to earn an extra buck.
Old 5 April 2010, 01:28 AM   #25
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
i say let Torneau do what they want, if they can sell it at that price then good for them, i personally do not like torneau so i simply never go in there.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 01:33 AM   #26
moviefreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I should also note that the watch was essentially brand new but in the pre-owned cases.
I dont know if they are an authorized dealer or not, but if they are they have to sell an overpriced Daytona as not new.... AD's are only supposed to sell new at msrp.
Old 5 April 2010, 01:35 AM   #27
PeteNYC13
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I was looking to buy but the saleswoman was a real turn off - no way I was going to give her a commission. The same watch was at a gray dealer on 47th for $5k less. Guess that big fancy store and gimicky interest free financing have their cost.

I should also note that the watch was essentially brand new but in the pre-owned cases. If I didn't know better, I would think that Tourneau was selling their new Daytonas as used to earn an extra buck.

Did you buy it?!

I am pretty sure they would no longer be the "largest watch store in the world", if they did this blatently.

More likely, lot's of trade-ins from people that thought they could afford it and then found out what their Taxes look like this year and needed cash! lol

-Pete
SS Explorer II D16570
Old 5 April 2010, 01:35 AM   #28
ddnyc77

Quote:
yup. I was in the columbus circle nyc Tourneau a few weeks ago. They had a deepsea and maybe a GMT II, don't remember exact prices but Tourneau is generally overpriced. The sales person was annoying as well. Told me how I needed to buy the deepsea now because they are hard to find and if I don't get it now I never will. I told her it was over priced here and she said well then maybe your not in the market for a rolex.... i told her no i already have two one which I was wearing. I love how some retail sales person is telling me what I can and cannot afford. I would think (no matter how much money you have) people who are looking to spend around 10k will look to pay a fair price and not get raped. I also understand you go into a store like that and pay for the show. Personally I don't need the show that comes with going to a store like that.

Funny side though, the other salesmen was eyeing and asked to see my 14060 and said he would like to buy if I would sell.
ddnyc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2010, 01:46 AM   #29
caveatesq
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Did you buy it?!

I am pretty sure they would no longer be the "largest watch store in the world", if they did this blatently.

More likely, lot's of trade-ins from people that thought they could afford it and then found out what their Taxes look like this year and needed cash! lol

-Pete
No - couldn't get myself to buy from a gray. I've got some leads for a new one from an AD at list. However, after visiting the Panerai Boutique on Madison (where, by the way, the sales people were very nice and professional) and seeing the 312, I think my desire for a Daytona may be waning.
Old 5 April 2010, 01:51 AM   #30
marcinthemiddle
Vacated

Watch: PAM 111 'N'
Quote:

-Pete
Great points, Pete! Went to dinner at Peter Luger's in Brooklyn last week...the tab for 2 people (With a nice bottle of wine) came to just under $300 ($375 after tip).....The prices in the NYC area are higher, but like you said, there are people willing to pay... also-lecturing a sales associate on the COMPANY'S pricing structure? Seriously?
marcinthemiddle is offline   Reply With Quote