The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 19 September 2010, 01:26 AM   #31
blaine mattison
"TRF" Member

Watch: my next find
Springer, is there any trading material in the PILE!! very nice!

and if not, i would totally understand. just for sharing purposes

what variations do you have of the MIGHTY, VERY WORTHY GMT
blaine mattison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2010, 02:08 AM   #32
mdw3
"TRF" Member

Greetings,

I am the seller of the above-discussed watch on eBay. The watch, its case, the serial number engraving, the dial and the accessories are ALL absolutely authentic. The original poster (Springer) contacted me via eBay's messaging system to inquire why a watch that was produced in 1987 had a paper dated 1982. His original message is reproduced in its entirety below:

"Question on your 16750 GMT. How can it have a 1986/87 serial number when it indicates on the warranty paper that it was sold in 1982?
Something up here?
George"

Despite the accusatory and inflammatory tone of his message, I answered him promptly and courteously, informing him that his view of the paper was simply obscured, and that the date was in fact September 29, 1987.

When he continued to contact me to imply that I was mistaken, lying or otherwise up to no good, I responded that the "7" was written with a line through the middle, as is customary in many parts of the world. Still disbelieving me, he has apparently continued to post here to disparage my watch and impugn me here. After several similar messages from the original poster, I declined to engage in a discussion of hang tags with him. I think I can safely assume the original poster has no intention of purchasing my watch, only telling others what is wrong with it. So, you will have to excuse my desire not to engage in such debates further. If any of you are seriously interested in pursuing the watch and need to know what the hang tag says, i am happy to accomodate you.

My longstanding record on eBay, and my feedback, speaks for itself. I do not sell fakes. I am a longtime vintage Rolex buyer and seller, and I am fairly well known in the vintage Rolex world, outside of these forums. One of my close friends purchased this watch from the original owner's son only weeks ago, and I now offer it for sale on eBay. The watch will clearly be sold this week, as it is on eBay with a no-reserve auction. Thank you for your attention.

Michael
mdw3

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Thanks Greek.

I went to the web site, http://www.gmtmasterhistory.com/gmt-...ref_16750.html, as posted by flyjet, which read that the matte dials ended around serial number 9xxxxxx. This is not correct and is not accepted by anyone that I know except "the watch broker," who hosts this site and information. Could it be possible, yes, probable - no.

The seller's response to one of my questions is below:

No, they (the warranty paper - edited) are definitely dated 1987. Many people the world over write a “7” with a line through it. I truly have no reason to lie about what is written on the paper. This really is a full original box and papers watch set. It is that simple. Nothing evil or nefarious going on here. Just a watch. I don’t think the hang tag says GMT. I have never seen one that did, either. Don’t know much about hang tags, and the watch is packed away in its boxes in my safe, so I can’t say for sure. Sorry.

This watch has a very late serial number for a matte dial - at least for me and anyone who collects GMT 16750's should know. The seller states the dated papers are 1987. A question regarding the hang tag wasn't answered because the watch was in his safe!!!!!!!

There you go everyone. This thread started with a question from a friend to have me look at this watch as he knew I collected GMTs. Personally, I don't care for unanswered questions to sellers, and watches that aren't wearing dials for the circa when they were issued. Some things can be changed to make it period correct, whether it is or isn't as it stands now. While the watch and accessories seem to be a nice package, maybe it should remain in the seller's safe a while longer until he gets some time to look at it again!
mdw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2010, 02:19 AM   #33
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I like threads like this cuz i actually learn something

more than just being able to wear my Sub in the shower and not worry

Kudos
Old 19 September 2010, 06:11 AM   #34
mdw3
"TRF" Member

Greetings,

I am the seller of the above-discussed watch. The watch, its case, the serial number engraving, the dial and the accessories are ALL absolutely authentic. The original poster (Springer) contacted me via the messaging system to inquire why a watch that was produced in 1987 had a paper dated 1982. His original message is reproduced in its entirety below:

"Question on your 16750 GMT. How can it have a 1986/87 serial number when it indicates on the warranty paper that it was sold in 1982?
Something up here?
George"

Despite the accusatory and inflammatory tone of his message, I answered him promptly and courteously, informing him that his view of the paper was simply obscured, and that the date was in fact September 29, 1987.

When he continued to contact me to imply that I was mistaken, lying or otherwise up to no good, I responded that the "7" was written with a line through the middle, as is customary in many parts of the world. Still disbelieving me, he has apparently continued to post here to disparage my watch and impugn me here. After several similar messages from the original poster, I declined to engage in a discussion of hang tags with him. I think I can safely assume the original poster has no intention of purchasing my watch, only telling others what is wrong with it. So, you will have to excuse my desire not to engage in such debates further. If any of you are seriously interested in pursuing the watch and need to know what the hang tag says, i am happy to accommodate you.

My longstanding record, and my feedback, speaks for itself. I do not sell fakes. I am a longtime vintage Rolex buyer and seller, and I am fairly well known in the vintage Rolex world, outside of these forums. One of my close friends purchased this watch from the original owner's son only weeks ago, and I now offer it for sale. The watch will clearly be sold this week, as it to be sold in a no-reserve auction. Thank you for your attention.

Michael
mdw3

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Thanks Greek.

I went to the web site, http://www.gmtmasterhistory.com/gmt-...ref_16750.html, as posted by flyjet, which read that the matte dials ended around serial number 9xxxxxx. This is not correct and is not accepted by anyone that I know except "the watch broker," who hosts this site and information. Could it be possible, yes, probable - no.

The seller's response to one of my questions is below:

No, they (the warranty paper - edited) are definitely dated 1987. Many people the world over write a “7” with a line through it. I truly have no reason to lie about what is written on the paper. This really is a full original box and papers watch set. It is that simple. Nothing evil or nefarious going on here. Just a watch. I don’t think the hang tag says GMT. I have never seen one that did, either. Don’t know much about hang tags, and the watch is packed away in its boxes in my safe, so I can’t say for sure. Sorry.

This watch has a very late serial number for a matte dial - at least for me and anyone who collects GMT 16750's should know. The seller states the dated papers are 1987. A question regarding the hang tag wasn't answered because the watch was in his safe!!!!!!!

There you go everyone. This thread started with a question from a friend to have me look at this watch as he knew I collected GMTs. Personally, I don't care for unanswered questions to sellers, and watches that aren't wearing dials for the circa when they were issued. Some things can be changed to make it period correct, whether it is or isn't as it stands now. While the watch and accessories seem to be a nice package, maybe it should remain in the seller's safe a while longer until he gets some time to look at it again!
mdw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2010, 06:31 AM   #35
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine mattison View Post
Springer, is there any trading material in the PILE!! very nice!

and if not, i would totally understand. just for sharing purposes

what variations do you have of the MIGHTY, VERY WORTHY GMT
Nothing to trade at this time Blaine. My latest acquisition was a 16760 about a year ago. I had been looking for one for quite a while and found one with most of the accessories to include warranty paper. My earliest GMT now is a 1969 model, and a couple 1970's 1675's. Then I have several 16750's, a 16760 and a 16700.

I am looking for a 1983/84 vintage 16750 with the gold surround dial markers that is missing the "date" word after Oyster Perpetual on the dial.

Cheers Blaine.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote