The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 January 2011, 08:06 PM   #1
roley798
"TRF" Member

Icon13 A.d. Nightmare!

hello TRF members. Unfortunately, my first post here has to be a negative one. Before I post the borderline criminal acts achieved by a local AD in san Diego, I would like to inform you that as I am no watch expert, I have a general knowledge of watches, their movements, and Rolex. About seven months ago I purchased my first datejust. Less then a month later I noticed several problems: +8 sec. A day, date change was inconsistent, and the minute hand would not be consistent with the marker, making it difficult to tell the actual time. So I take my watch to the AD in fashion valley.4 weeks later it is returned, but with DEEP scratches on the caseback and bracelet. When confronted, the matchmaker stated that these are normal, and no matter what Rolex can not repair the watch without scratching it. Immediately I informed the store manager, and he quickly apologized, while the matchmaker continued to try to prove his point. After waiting the required 4 weeks, the watch is returned with a new caseback... and new scratches. This time my watch is -1 sec. A day. So after arguing w/ the store manager for several days, he agrees to make an exchange. As I am ready to take the new watch home, he pulls out a contract he made, which has no affiliation w/ Ben bridge, saying that I cannot return the watch and my warranty is void. After refusing to sign this piece of garbage he then offered a refund. After all of this I accept, only to have him change his mind about the refund minutes later saying that I will have to take him to court. At this time he is in possession of my watch, and money. This is by far the worst customer service I have experienced, and wish it upon no one. If you are ever in the SD area, avoid the Ben bridge in fashion valley at all cost!!!
roley798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2011, 08:11 PM   #2
Puffy
"TRF" Member

welcome mate

wow what a nasty nasty first experience with the great Rolex brand

"scratches are normal", my arse!! what a load of toss

are you looking at purchasing another Rolex? if so I'd check out some of the sellers on here, eg Tony @ JustRolexes is based in SD and he's a solid dude
Old 11 January 2011, 08:11 PM   #3
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by roley798 View Post
hello TRF members. Unfortunately, my first post here has to be a negative one. Before I post the borderline criminal acts achieved by a local AD in san Diego, I would like to inform you that as I am no watch expert, I have a general knowledge of watches, their movements, and Rolex. About seven months ago I purchased my first datejust. Less then a month later I noticed several problems: +8 sec. A day, date change was inconsistent, and the minute hand would not be consistent with the marker, making it difficult to tell the actual time. So I take my watch to the AD in fashion valley.4 weeks later it is returned, but with DEEP scratches on the caseback and bracelet. When confronted, the matchmaker stated that these are normal, and no matter what Rolex can not repair the watch without scratching it. Immediately I informed the store manager, and he quickly apologized, while the matchmaker continued to try to prove his point. After waiting the required 4 weeks, the watch is returned with a new caseback... and new scratches. This time my watch is -1 sec. A day. So after arguing w/ the store manager for several days, he agrees to make an exchange. As I am ready to take the new watch home, he pulls out a contract he made, which has no affiliation w/ Ben bridge, saying that I cannot return the watch and my warranty is void. After refusing to sign this piece of garbage he then offered a refund. After all of this I accept, only to have him change his mind about the refund minutes later saying that I will have to take him to court. At this time he is in possession of my watch, and money. This is by far the worst customer service I have experienced, and wish it upon no one. If you are ever in the SD area, avoid the Ben bridge in fashion valley at all cost!!!
If thats true, its unacceptable and you should contct Rolex directly immediately.
GolfPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2011, 08:11 PM   #4
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Shocking behaviour, sorry you had to go through that. I always prefer to send a watch back to Rolex themselves under warranty, no way should it be coming back with scratches if you're using the right tools.
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2011, 08:15 PM   #5
PhilM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Dam that's appalling behavior, it's definitelyworth writting a complaint to Rolex
PhilM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2011, 08:17 PM   #6
roley798
"TRF" Member

Very true. And I am in the process of contacting Rolex, as the last incident just happened recently. Any additional info/ suggestions as to who I should speak with at Rolex or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11 January 2011, 08:41 PM   #7
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Did you pay for the watch with a credit card? If so I would call my Cc company...

So the store has your watch that you have payed for? Would he have given you the watch back? Or did you leave it there?

Aaron Faber email blast anyone?
Old 11 January 2011, 08:43 PM   #8
roley798
"TRF" Member

@ the GMT master, I have reason to believe that their "watchmaker" is the reason my watch was scratched. His demeanor, and the way he was handling other watches would suggest that. I have always heard great things about the way Rolex handles their watches.
Old 11 January 2011, 08:44 PM   #9
Nicko
Banned

Horrible, simply horrible. Are you out the watch and the money? Is he refusing to give either one back to you? Wow, sounds like a BBB and RUSA complaint to me. Welcome to the forum.
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2011, 08:45 PM   #10
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
@ the GMT master, I have reason to believe that their "watchmaker" is the reason my watch was scratched. His demeanor, and the way he was handling other watches would suggest that. I have always heard great things about the way Rolex handles their watches.
That was the impression I got too, not that it's any consolation! Get in contact with Rolex, and they'll sort it out, they know how to treat their customers right
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2011, 08:45 PM   #11
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post

Aaron Faber email blast anyone?
Once we can confirm this, this sounds like a great idea.
Old 11 January 2011, 08:49 PM   #12
roley798
"TRF" Member

@ bayerische, unfortunately I paid cash. He said he would return the watch, only if I signed his contract which stated it would void my warranty, and " certify that there are absolutely no defects with the watch", Which I did not do. So he currently has the full amount I paid and the watch.
Old 11 January 2011, 08:53 PM   #13
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
Once we can confirm this, this sounds like a great idea.
Absolutely,
Old 11 January 2011, 08:55 PM   #14
Nicko
Banned

Quote:
@ bayerische, unfortunately I paid cash. He said he would return the watch, only if I signed his contract which stated it would void my warranty, and " certify that there are absolutely no defects with the watch", Which I did not do. So he currently has the full amount I paid and the watch.

What a load of bullcrap. This AD sounds like a first class putz who needs his a$$ beat. So you're saying he has your money and watch?
Old 11 January 2011, 09:15 PM   #15
roley798
"TRF" Member

@ nicko, yes, that's right. To clarify it a bit, he said I can sign the contract and take the watch, or see him in court. I currently do not have the watch or money. And he deserves one more then you could imagine. Please elaborate on this Aaron faber email blast...
Old 11 January 2011, 09:25 PM   #16
roley798
"TRF" Member

@ puffy, I will purchase another Rolex. Not sure if I will buy new or used this time. Thank you for the info, and thank you all for the advice and comments.
Old 11 January 2011, 09:30 PM   #17
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Report it stolen? Could that work?
Old 11 January 2011, 09:32 PM   #18
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Call the cops out. If you paid for a good, then you receive that good. Very simple. If he refuses to give you the watch or refund your money, you have a legitimate beef. If it were $5, so what. Several thousand, you bet your arse I'm pulling out all the stops to get my money back and tell Ben Bridge where he can stick his contract.
Old 11 January 2011, 10:02 PM   #19
roley798
"TRF" Member

Contacting sdpd will be my last resort. My only concern with contacting them is that they may not understand that his new contract voids my warranty, and the officer could possibly claim that he is offering me the watch, and buy his b.s. I should have a definite answer and will post the outcome later today. Are there any other authorized dealers that you would recommend? What would be available used in the 6k range here?
Old 11 January 2011, 10:36 PM   #20
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I am a little confused....The watch was under Rolex warranty and the AD sent it to his own watchmaker? AD's have that option/can take that initiative?
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2011, 10:36 PM   #21
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Did you call BB/HQ with your complain..?

Headquarters Location
PO Box 1908, Seattle, WA 98111-1908, United States
(206)448-8800, (206)448-7456 fax, http://www.benbridge.com
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2011, 10:43 PM   #22
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on mood.
If the AD has the watch, then please correct me if im wrong, the AD has stolen property in their possession as it does not belong to them. I would call the police and also the credit card company and make the ADs life a living hell!
johnbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2011, 10:53 PM   #23
Toxicant
"TRF" Member

I fail to see how a contract with them will void your warranty. The warranty is between Rolex and the buyer.

I'd sign the paper and get the watch and then worry about the toilet paper they had you sign later.

There is no way based on the information you have provided that an AD can void the warranty on a new Rolex watch.

Good luck
Old 11 January 2011, 10:55 PM   #24
roley798
"TRF" Member

@ tempoking, have not contacted bbb or hq yet, it is almost 5am here, but I do plan on contacting both of them. Thank you for the info Provided.

@ cru Jones, the watch maker at Ben bridge claimed to have sent the watch to Rolex, and said that Rolex repaired the watch, but neither him or the store manager could tell me where they sent it. The watch is indeed under warranty.

@johnbeth, I may be wrong here, but I have dealt with many sdpd officers due to my work, and most of them here would tend to buy whatever the store manager is telling them, just because of his position. BTW, this store manager has been very manipulative, and has lied to me, so what would stop him from telling the cop lies? As I would love to see a guy like him loose his job, my main focus is just getting a refund.
Old 11 January 2011, 11:07 PM   #25
roley798
"TRF" Member

@toxicant, thank you for the support. Although the warranty is between the buyer and Rolex, I would have signed a paper that would allow him to not be liable for any wrong doing on his part. Meaning that if the watch stopped the next day, my signature would state that I "certify that it is in perfect working order" and "can not return the watch". Didn't seem like a smart move to me.
Old 11 January 2011, 11:16 PM   #26
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
@ cru Jones, the watch maker at Ben bridge claimed to have sent the watch to Rolex, and said that Rolex repaired the watch, but neither him or the store manager could tell me where they sent it. The watch is indeed under warranty.

Hmmmm....well, then, where's the paperwork? And, there are a limited number of service centers in the U.S. (Dallas? NYC? Others?), so, if it was sent to an RSC, it shouldn't be hard to track down the info.

Seems like Rolex USA should be notified ASAP. As well as BB HQ.

So strange....
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2011, 11:22 PM   #27
TRW
Banned

Watch: 16623 YM
Call Rolex USA and Demand that they get Involved.The Same goes with BB Corporate.And every Spare Minute that You have,Picket the Front of the AD with a Sign with Youre Displeasure.Hope it works out for You
TRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2011, 11:30 PM   #28
Captainz
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
TO: THE MANAGER OF THIS AD!!!
YOUR STORE IS A NIGHTMARE,ITS DISGUSTING, AND ITS FRAUDULANT. THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME I HAVE HEARD THIS FROM YOUR PARTICULAR STORE, EXPLAIN YOUR ACTIONS AND MORE IMPORTANTLY EXPLAIN THE REASON YOU HAVE THIS SO CALLED ARROGANT INEPT WATCHMAKER""" MONSTER """WORKING ON ROLEXES

I know these guys read the web-boards. This Ben Bridge store needs an attitude and employee change.

Please, from now on, send your watches to ROLEX if they are under warranty. Cut the middle man out. Ben Bridge likes to BS its clients into thinking that their watchmakers are competent.
Old 11 January 2011, 11:31 PM   #29
roley798
"TRF" Member

@ cry jones, do you mean the bogus contract? It was 1 page typed on a piece of computer paper. It had no affiliation with Ben bridge, and he would not offer a copy of it, since I did not sign it. The store manager stated that "I think we sent it to Rolex ny, but I am not sure." And believe me, this whole experience is just as strange for me. But I guarantee Rolex and the bbb will be informed.
Old 11 January 2011, 11:34 PM   #30
tfduff723
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega 4 Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfPunk View Post
If thats true, its unacceptable and you should contct Rolex directly immediately.
Absolutely unnacceptable and I agree you should contact Rolex USA immediately. Over the years I have purchased five Rolex watches from ADs and all of those experiences have been very positive. Everything that AD told you is total garbage.

Oh... and welcome to TRF!
tfduff723 is offline   Reply With Quote