The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 March 2011, 11:59 PM   #1
huwge
"TRF" Member

Service - what to expect, ask for?

Hi guys, have a GMT II SS that was bought new by me in 2004. It has been through the mill a bit - not a lack of respect, but it's been everywhere high, low, underwater, etc. Last autumn I asked my local AD whether it need a service as I was getting some work done on my Jaeger Master Date which seems to need a little more TLC than the GMT. He said it was running fine and could wait a year, but he did roll his eyes at the state of the case.

If I send it in for an authorised service, what should I expect or be asking for with respect to the case? Personally, the watch is a tool and not a piece of jewelry and I think it lends the watch character. Most of my friends seem to think I am an idiot for not paying the watch more respect. It's all original, except the lunette had to be replaced as I got a crease in the original when I came off my bike.

Thanks,

Huw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dings_1.jpg (236.8 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg dings_2.jpg (229.6 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg dings_3.jpg (240.8 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg wrist.jpg (289.6 KB, 227 views)
huwge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2011, 12:28 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well its one thing for the RSC they sure do a real good job of polishing the case/bracelets, but even they are not miracle workers.They will try and get your watch back to looking almost new.And some of my watches have been in a lot worse state than yours, and came back looking almost new.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2011, 12:42 AM   #3
EE33
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613 16710 116520
Quote:
Originally Posted by huwge View Post
but it's been everywhere high, low, underwater, etc.
Sounds like you live an exciting life and your watch is part of you and your lifestyle, ENJOY Mate.
Nice Watch BTW.

Punctuality is the courtesy shown only by Kings

Dalip: "GTG posts are worthless without pics, absolutely worthless"
EE33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2011, 12:49 AM   #4
huwge
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE33 View Post
Sounds like you live an exciting life and your watch is part of you and your lifestyle, ENJOY Mate.
Nice Watch BTW.
I'm not Action Man, but where I go it goes. Tomorrow it's going skiing!

The problem I have is I just don't want to be without it. Thinking about getting the watch serviced drew me here and now I am suddenly looking at Subs, DSSDs ...Get thee behind me...

I guess polishing doesn't bother me, but it seems that the process must be quite aggressive / abrasive if it is leveling out or smoothing out these dents. Is it better to get them to just concentrate on the guts of the watch? I don't think I would ever want to sell it on or trade it in.

Thanks
Old 9 March 2011, 01:04 AM   #5
EE33
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The problem I have is I just don't want to be without it. Thinking about getting the watch serviced drew me here and now I am suddenly looking at Subs, DSSDs ...Get thee behind me...

I guess polishing doesn't bother me, but it seems that the process must be quite aggressive / abrasive if it is leveling out or smoothing out these dents. Is it better to get them to just concentrate on the guts of the watch? I don't think I would ever want to sell it on or trade it in.

Thanks
I hear you Mate and if you're going to send it in you're going to be without your baby for awhile as in weeks or months and that'll kill you.
The process is best left to that of the experts, similar to a dentist or a surgeon performing their tasks, never rush a professional.
I'm glad you said that you don't think you'll ever want to sell it or trade it and I'm the same.
Get another piece from one of our trusted sellers here and more.

Old 9 March 2011, 01:10 AM   #6
huwge
"TRF" Member

Cheers! As for getting another, I am beginning to feel that resistance is futile...
Old 9 March 2011, 01:11 AM   #7
EE33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cheers! As for getting another, I am beginning to feel that resistance is futile...
Especially here at TRF, Welcome and Enjoy.

Old 9 March 2011, 01:13 AM   #8
mcubed
"TRF" Member

Well, at least to seem to be wearing the thing properly....

I guess you could ask them to polish it, but tell them that you would rather they err on the side of preserving material vs getting every conceivable dent out (not sure RSC will do that). You could also find a good certified watchmaker in your area and go to his or her shop and talk to them.

I have a very good one in CT.
1953 Wittnauer Revue
2009 Swiss Army Divemaster 500
mcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2011, 01:19 AM   #9
Hooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Beautiful watch, one of my Fav's
Old 9 March 2011, 02:05 AM   #10
rachelb
Banned

What have you been doing with it. "hammering in nails with it"?
rachelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2011, 02:06 AM   #11
acce1999
"TRF" Member

First: Welcome to this great forum!

I really love to see well used watches. They were design for REAL use, so if I were you I wouldn't do anything with the case. It shows that it is a TOOL watch. By all means have the movement serviced and replace gaskets, but continue to enjoy the watch, and let it be shown!

Best,

A
acce1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2011, 02:29 AM   #12
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:

Thanks
guts and make sure that the bracelet/clasp is ok. imho. new spring bars as well.
Old 9 March 2011, 02:31 AM   #13
huwge
"TRF" Member

Thanks folks!
Old 9 March 2011, 02:35 AM   #14
jdc
"TRF" Member

Lovely well used watch those pictures will freak out many on this forum Don't know where you are based but there were some recent pictures of a restored watch by one of the TRF members Bob Ridley (Watchmakers International) where he repaired some dents and made the watch look new.
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2011, 03:22 AM   #15
mike
"TRF" Member

Good for you. You bought a watch to wear and build a history with. Every ding tells a story and in time will serve to remind you that's YOUR watch.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2011, 03:32 AM   #16
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Personally, I'd get the service and not worry about the state of the case.

You bought the watch to wear, and you obviously do that a lot. No need to "respect" it. You're using it for it's purpose...a watch. Don't listen to anyone that gives you a hard time about it.

Keeping it in the safe is a good way to keep it clean...but then it's no longer a watch. It's a piece of art.

I want a GMT now...
ecsub44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2011, 04:03 AM   #17
George Ab
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Them
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, you are hard on your watch, but it is your watch. I am leaning with agreeing with your friends.

A service will include tearing the watch down to parade rest, cleaning, replacing the barrel (main spring is contained inside) and seals, and the crown tube if required, along with any other part (such as axle rotor) that shows excessive wear, lubricate, reassemble, and adjust. They will polish the case and bracelet, since the bezel insert looks good they will not replace. If you just want to case and bracelet cleaned up it will run approximately $100. A full service is usually around $500 which include polish.

Kudos for the ethics of your watchmaker for not over-prescribing service. I like it when they hand a watch back and say see me in a year. They have to remove quite a bit of meat to remove those dings you have. Right on the borderline of what should come back. My money is on it will look like new after a service. However, after you wear it for a couple of months it will be back to where it is now, and the second time around you might not fare so well. It only takes a few seconds to take your watch off before you work on the car, etc.

Although you are hard on the case you appear to not be subjecting the watch to large shocks (chopping wood, etc). If you had the axle rotor will be distorted resulting in the rotor hitting the case resulting in contamination inside the watch. So I'm giving you credit there. Therefore, it just seems like you don't take off the watch when you work on the car and the damage is cosmetic. Some people are anal about getting a scratch on their watch, yet they will destroy it internally by chopping wood, driving golf balls, pounding nails.

George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2011, 04:43 AM   #18
huwge
"TRF" Member

Not a complete hooligan

To try and defend myself somewhat, I'm not a complete hooligan - this one is from new, purchased in 1996.

I do try to take the GMT off for hard manual tasks, but not when I am skiing, hiking, etc. I think the last ding was from the edges of some skis where someone was a little impatient trying to load their skis into the car. But then, she never wears a watch when doing that sort of stuff any yet still expects me to say what time it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JLC.jpg (254.9 KB, 126 views)
Old 9 March 2011, 05:06 AM   #19
Postnikov
"TRF" Member

I would keep it as it is, just service the movement. It represents a part of your life! Do not listen to the couchpotatoes who admire but do not "use" their watches.
I like it very much!!
Postnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2011, 05:28 AM   #20
avusblue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc View Post
Don't know where you are based but there were some recent pictures of a restored watch by one of the TRF members Bob Ridley (Watchmakers International) where he repaired some dents and made the watch look new.

The watch being referring to is mine. See this thread for the story. I am 100% confident that Mr. Ridley can make your watch look new, without having to grind down the metal of your watch case. I'm thrilled with my new-again GMT. Not only does it look beautiful, it runs with spot-on accuracy. Your valuable and cherished watch deserves to be well maintained.

Good luck,

Dave
avusblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2011, 06:15 AM   #21
997Opus

Watch: SS Daytona
Another person that is glad to see you using you watch and not treating it as a "garage queen". It also appears that you do not abuse your watches either. IHMO I would just get an internal service and some external TLC. Send your watch to RSC or on to Mr. Bob Ridley (Top Notch) and your watch will come back looking as good as new. Nice JLC by the way....
997Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2011, 06:25 AM   #22
huwge
"TRF" Member

The JLC was my first self purchase, I was thinking of a rose gold addition from the Master range (Memovox most likely) until I found this place. I love the styling of the JLC but it can't compete with the GMT for ease on the wrist. I also feel a little nervous with the Jaeger, but the GMT I just wear. I would like something that is a half way house that doesn't look small on my 8,5" wrist without being too bulky for dress ware.
Old 9 March 2011, 06:32 AM   #23
esspee1200
"TRF" Member

great looking watch. its speaks of character with all the "stick" marks. think high school football helmet and the respect given when it bears such stick marks.
esspee1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2011, 06:36 AM   #24
huwge
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esspee1200 View Post
great looking watch. its speaks of character with all the "stick" marks. think high school football helmet and the respect given when it bears such stick marks.

I used to play club rugby, you can switch helmet for fingers, nose and eyebrows. At least the dings on the watch didn't need stitches or splints.
Old 9 March 2011, 06:51 AM   #25
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Good for you. You bought a watch to wear and build a history with. Every ding tells a story and in time will serve to remind you that's YOUR watch.
Absolutely!!! Keep those memories alive!! Service the movement and forget the polish!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2011, 06:57 AM   #26
rad87gn
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM, Omega
You can request they not polish during the service as well. If you are going to continue using it like you have been you may want to consider waiting longer before having it polished. That's what I'm leaning towards unless I decide to sell it and want it perfect and pretty.
Rolex P-Series SS GMT II Black, Rolex Y-Series Sea-Dweller, Rolex F-Series TT Blue Sub, Rolex F-Series Sub LV, Rolex D-Series Ladies SS/WG DJ for wife, Panerai K-Series PAM 112, Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50, Omega Seamaster 300M Chrono 2594.52
rad87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2011, 07:01 AM   #27
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan1965 View Post
Absolutely!!! Keep those memories alive!! Service the movement and forget the polish!!
X2.
Old 9 March 2011, 07:15 AM   #28
huwge
"TRF" Member

Great place this - thanks to you all.
Huw