The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 25 April 2011, 06:07 PM   #1
ral

Found a Ref. 1680

Did not have time to take a good look so I took a quick picture. Asking price is 280,000 local, roughly US$6500.

No box and papers, and year unknown, but seller willing to have watch authenticated as a local Rolex Service Center... not sure how good they are at authenticating.

What does one look out for when buying a vintage? Will maintenance be difficult? Maybe, a 14060M would be a better choice (a bit cheaper too).
ral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2011, 10:34 PM   #2
BigMac53
"TRF" Member

I'm no expert, but $6500 seems a little high. There have been a lot of those sold on here in the 5-6K range. Also, if RSC can authenticate it, it's legit, as far as I know. Someone with more knowledge will chime in soon though!

FWIW, it looks like it's in great shape from that one photo.
BigMac53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2011, 10:42 PM   #3
MonBK
Banned

If the RSC can't authenticate a Rolex watch how on earth are they going to service it?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2011, 10:47 PM   #4
mike
"TRF" Member

That seems a bit strong on pricing as is.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2011, 11:02 PM   #5
Michael M.
Banned

Looks like a very pristine example, but the price is way to high IMHO!
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2011, 11:06 PM   #6
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
i like that GMT on the right. Harry
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2011, 11:51 PM   #7
conrail
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
i like that GMT on the right. Harry
I do too (at least from the pics).

$6,500 is REALLY high for a plain white 1680. As nice as it may be, I think $4,500 to $5,500 is more realistic w/o B&P.

Only way to justify that price is if its tough to have watches shipped to you (lots of nice 1680 whites pop up on here and VRM) and there aren't many local sellers.

Look for original dial, lume plots (avoid badly fading/peeling, and unsightly dark spots thereon), matching hands, strong, thick case, preferably as little polish as possible with beveled edges showing. Crystal, bracelet and winding crown aren't a huge concern but if you can confirm originality, thats a plus. Service history is good to know so you know what you're getting into.

Take a look at as many pics as you can of great examples that top collectors post so you have an idea of what a nice one should look like, and go from there. Certainly having a vintage Rolex sportswatch watchsmith examine the watch is ideal, if you can find one :)
Old 26 April 2011, 01:50 AM   #8
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
That's what I was thinking..........$5,000 would be fairly reasonable IMHO if the macro shots look as good as the one shot there.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2011, 11:11 AM   #9
ral

Will have to take a better look at it. Passed by it rushing to a meeting, all I could do is pop a quick pic on my mobile phone. The dial looks nice and clean... maybe it has been repainted? Will go back for a better look and better pictures. And see if I can get a better price. Will post here again :)
Old 26 April 2011, 12:10 PM   #10
Racer X
"TRF" Member

It's hard to tell the condition of the watch from the picture, but I agree that $6500 is a bit high, at least without papers. $5-$6k is what most people ask for loose white 1680s. Watches at the higher end of the range typically have hour plots with a nice, rich, even patina. Those with bleach-white plots (which this one may have) typically are at the lower end of the range.

Personally, I think it may be difficult to get the (retail) seller to sell for less than $5k. That said, you can always try!
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2011, 02:25 PM   #11
ral

Yes, I did notice that it did not seem to have a "patina" giving me the impression that it may have been re-lumed (is that the correct term).

Shop is a bit far from my place (two cities away), but if I can find time to get off work I will go back, negotiate a decent price, put a reservation fee, take a bunch of Macros and have you guys check it out before going to the RSC. AFAIK the local RSC only opened up in the 80's or early 90's... before that we used to get our watches in Hong Kong... so I do not know if the people here have experience with watches like the Ref. 1680.
Old 26 April 2011, 02:27 PM   #12
ral

By the way... I was wondering, maybe a am better off with a 14060M. My wrists are a bit small... was thinking of getting a new DJ, but realized that 36mm is starting to look small. on the other hand everything I tried in 40mm with a SEL bracelet looks a bit big on my wrist. The 14060M has a non-SEL... plan to make whichever I get a daily wearer... hence my query on maintenance.
Old 26 April 2011, 02:46 PM   #13
onkyo
Banned

They need to take a few zero's off your currency....

and the watch is too expensive.
onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2011, 08:36 PM   #14
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ral View Post
By the way... I was wondering, maybe a am better off with a 14060M. My wrists are a bit small... was thinking of getting a new DJ, but realized that 36mm is starting to look small. on the other hand everything I tried in 40mm with a SEL bracelet looks a bit big on my wrist. The 14060M has a non-SEL... plan to make whichever I get a daily wearer... hence my query on maintenance.
Personally, I wouldn't use a vintage watch like that for "daily wear" unless your day consists of less active things than what mine does. A 14060M would be a great daily watch IMHO.

With that said, I would prefer the 1680 over the 14060M any day of the week, and I own an example of each of those references............

JMHO

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 27 April 2011, 01:21 AM   #15
Racer X
"TRF" Member

Bright white plots do not necessarily mean a relume. If the watch has been exposed to lots of sunlight during its life, it is likely that the plots will stay white.

As for size, once you are accustomed to a 39mm watch, a 36mm will look and feel small to you, even if you do not have large wrists (I don't either). These days, most women's watches are at least 36 mm. For example, my girlfriend's fashion watch is larger than my sub!
Old 27 April 2011, 01:25 AM   #16
msweat
"TRF" Member

It's a beautiful watch but as previously stated $6,500.00 is a little high considering it has no box, booklets, or papers. I bought a 1680 with everything for $5,200.00. I feel that it was priced accordingly and is my daily wearer! I feel that between $4,500 and $5,000 would be fair.
Thanks, Michael
msweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2011, 01:38 AM   #17
Felix.H

Watch: Rolexes, APs, Pams
6.5k is premium price.. Top notch example price.
Dial seems to be a replacement as the plots are too white from your photo..
Felix.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2011, 02:04 AM   #18
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix.H View Post
Poor lighting and and a non-closeup photo can make a dial appear that way. No way to extrapolate that its a replacement dial from a photo such as that.

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 27 April 2011, 02:20 AM   #19
bb3188
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix.H View Post
yep, looks like a luminova replacement dial marked as tritium (Swiss T<25) n hands.

m.
bb3188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2011, 02:35 AM   #20
Racer X
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb3188 View Post
yep, looks like a luminova replacement dial marked as tritium (Swiss T<25) n hands.

m.
I don't know how you can possibly say that based on that photo.
Old 27 April 2011, 04:22 AM   #21
bb3188
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
I don't know how you can possibly say that based on that photo.
this is based on photo hence why i said l it looks like (ie my hunch) a lumin dial because of the shade of white lume on dial and matching hands........ again need more photos to know for certain
Old 27 April 2011, 06:26 AM   #22
Racer X
"TRF" Member

Quote:
this is based on photo hence why i said l it looks like (ie my hunch) a lumin dial because of the shade of white lume on dial and matching hands........ again need more photos to know for certain
Okay, when someone says the dial "looks like" it is a replacement dial, they are saying that it is their opinion that the dial is a replacement dial, not that it's a mere possibility. All too often people throw out these off-the-cuff negative opinions that a watch is a fake, a redial, a relume, etc. without really having a legitimate basis for the conclusion. This is what I believe is happening here.

As for the conclusion that the dial "looks like a luminova replacement dial marked as tritium," I have no idea how you come to that conclusion. You are suggesting not that someone simply relumed the original dial but that someone actually took a luminova dial, painted over the "SWISS", and then reprinted "Swiss T<25"??? I just can't see how anyone could come to such a conclusion given the posted image. I just wish people would not give negative feedback on a watch unless they know what they are talking about and the evidence supports their conclusion.
Old 27 April 2011, 06:44 AM   #23
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Okay, when someone says the dial "looks like" it is a replacement dial, they are saying that it is their opinion that the dial is a replacement dial, not that it's a mere possibility. All too often people throw out these off-the-cuff negative opinions that a watch is a fake, a redial, a relume, etc. without really having a legitimate basis for the conclusion. This is what I believe is happening here.

As for the conclusion that the dial "looks like a luminova replacement dial marked as tritium," I have no idea how you come to that conclusion. You are suggesting not that someone simply relumed the original dial but that someone actually took a luminova dial, painted over the "SWISS", and then reprinted "Swiss T<25"??? I just can't see how anyone could come to such a conclusion given the posted image. I just wish people would not give negative feedback on a watch unless they know what they are talking about and the evidence supports their conclusion.
+1

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 27 April 2011, 10:51 AM   #24
bb3188
"TRF" Member

Quote:
glad to hear your opinion... I would say that the cost of the lumin dial here (RSC MElbourne AUS) is probably twice as much as getting an white tritium dial from the vintage market. so not quite sure where you are going with this being about a negative feedback.
maybe i should have wrote IMO

Quote:
nope, there are 2 types of luminova white 1680 dials that Rolex Service Centre issue

http://www.network54.com/Forum/20759...placement+dial

best regards

m,
Old 27 April 2011, 02:33 PM   #25
Racer X
"TRF" Member

Quote:
glad to hear your opinion... I would say that the cost of the lumin dial here (RSC MElbourne AUS) is probably twice as much as getting an white tritium dial from the vintage market. so not quite sure where you are going with this being about a negative feedback.
maybe i should have wrote IMO

nope, there are 2 types of luminova white 1680 dials that Rolex Service Centre issue

http://www.network54.com/Forum/20759...placement+dial

best regards

m,
I think you know what I'm talking about here. There was a thread not so long ago on VRF about criticizing watches without explaining the basis of the criticism or even having a legitimate basis for the criticism. 'Nuff said.
Old 27 April 2011, 02:38 PM   #26
usbzoso
Banned

Watch: 16610/16600/16800
NYC RSC don't authenticate watches ... what they do is appraise it ... meaning they check all parts of the watch to make sure they are all genuine Rolex parts and then appraise the watch if all parts are genuine. It costs $150+tax to have this appraisal done.
usbzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2011, 02:59 PM   #27
SVC
Banned

So technically speaking, what's the difference between authentication and appraisal, then?
SVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2011, 04:26 PM   #28
Paul
"TRF" Member

Check out VRF's market page .....

I know very little about 1680's but I see one for sale today @ $4,800 on VRF.

I understand that the seller is very well-regarded - haven't dealt with him myself though
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2011, 04:38 PM   #29
onryo

Watch: GMT-Master II
I saw that 1680 on VRF and was thinking about it myself. Does $4800 seem like a fair price for a 1680 in that condition?
onryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2011, 06:29 PM   #30
cruvon
"TRF" Member

just saw your discussion on 1680's, what do you gys think about this ones price?
http://10pastten.com/inventory/detai...?item_id=TA481
cruvon is offline   Reply With Quote