The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 19 July 2007, 12:10 PM   #1
ROLEX4EvEr
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Back
Look what happen to my friend

I was at the local mall with my wife getting some gifts for a friends birthday this weekend and while she was shopping I walked into a nearby jewelry/watch store. They are not authorized on any brand but they do have a huge selection of watches and diamonds. I was dressed casually and while two salespeople were helping a lady finalize a sale there was was standing behind the counter with his arms crossed. He noticed me but didn't flinch or move. I was wearing shorts, a T-shirt, a $25,000 watch and ironically a white Panerai baseball cap. I walked over to the "high-end" showcase of the store to find a mix of Rolex Datejusts with aftermarket diamond bezels, some older style two tone Subs and a PAM51. Next to the 51 was a 171 but something didn't look right. The date was too big and the minute markers were too long. The bracelet was still wrapped in plastic.

About ten minutes later one of the salesmen that was helping the lady came over to me. The guy with his arms crossed was still behind the counter day dreaming. I asked to see the "black Panerai" and as he took it out he was telling me it is a special edition just in from Italy. I nodded and took it from his hand. First thing I noticed was the bracelet was not steel and titanium and was very thin. It said Luminor Power Reserve on the dial and had the power reserve indicator. On the side of the case was a helium vale like the Sea-Dweller and the back was a display back with an ETA engraved Panerai all across. There was no Production letter or number but there was a date of 2005 stamped in the back and a BB serial code. I pulled out the crown and there was only one setting and it was to set the hands. Nothing for the date. My suspicion was confirmed. I asked for the price and the guy grabbed it from my hand and looked at the tag and said $7,500.

I told him I'd like to buy it but just wanted to see the warranty card and box. He said no problem and went in the back. 10 minutes later he came out and said he can't find it because his boss showed it to someone but they will get it for me so not to worry. I told him that I mean no disrespect but how do I know this watch is genuine? His reply was that they have been there for years and everything is genuine. I told him I believe it was fake and he started laughing and said he will bet me anything it's not. I said OK, I will buy out your entire inventory right now if you can prove to me it is real but if you can't, I get the watch for free. He got on his cell phone for a few minutes, came back and took the watch from me and said his boss said it was not for sale, but only a display model. He then proceeded to put it under the showcase and walked away from me.

Moral of the story is those who always think they will get scammed buying online and swear by brick and mortal need to take a good look at this. These bastards were selling a $30 fake for $7,500 right out of a multi-million dollar store in a major shopping mall right here in NYC. I am besides myself!
Old 19 July 2007, 12:20 PM   #2
ROLEX4EvEr
"TRF" Member

Same place I went to get my Father-in-law a DJ, I looked at one of the watches and the crown on the dial was off and floating around. I told the lady and she apologized and said the new girl dropped it on the floor and it was damaged??? I said its a Rolex...That shouldn't happen.

Anyway I find the watch I want and it has scratches they said it'll be buffed out, so next day I go to the same store and the watch was perfect. My wife kept telling to wear it 1st before we buy it. I said I rather not put finger prints on it but I gave in an put the watch on. As soon as the watch was on the band fell apart and the watch hit the glass display case. I was laughing and we walked out to NEVER GO BACK!!!
Old 19 July 2007, 12:51 PM   #3
ADISMO
Banned

Watch: Seadweller
Federal Trade Commission or Better Business Bureau should 'touch base' with these guys.
ADISMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2007, 12:59 PM   #4
MrRogers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEX4EvEr View Post
These bastards were selling a $30 fake for $7,500 right out of a multi-million dollar store in a major shopping mall right here in NYC. I am besides myself!
Unbelievable, would you please tell us the name of this store so we may avoid them in the future?

MrR
MrRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2007, 01:33 PM   #5
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
WOW what store is this if you dont mind me asking... We all need to be more careful
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2007, 02:39 PM   #6
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
I'd be dropping a dime to RUSA about these guys.
Old 19 July 2007, 03:00 PM   #7
Lol-x
Facilitator

Well it is very surprising that people can conduct business like this in NY.
Seems like the watch companies need to get on to this shonky business or the appropriate authorities to put the business - out of business
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2007, 05:28 PM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
That is an amazingly shocking story, Freddy. How the heck can such a major store carry on doing business so blatantly is beyond me.

If anything like that happened here in Auckland, the bugger would have been shut down before the day was out.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2007, 06:10 PM   #9
ROLEX4EvEr
"TRF" Member

Its a store in the Staten Island Mall 1st floor, I will post the name I just forgot it.
Old 19 July 2007, 09:44 PM   #10
DavoD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub LV
Just wondering how much money they make out of selling fake to the uninformed customer. Just picture someone that save hard to buy the dream watch and end up being scam by this fellow. Need to be reported to the authority.
DavoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2007, 09:53 PM   #11
amanda
Banned

More info

http://www.network54.com/Forum/35339...happened+today...
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2007, 12:37 AM   #12
pwcrulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 16233
That is some real shit... wow.
pwcrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2007, 04:48 PM   #13
ROLEX4EvEr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
No offensive to you Amanda but I did copy and paste my friend Gils Post on to here. But a certain MOD here seems to think Im Gil . Well Gil is a close friend and trust me we are not the same people. I have posted my face on here many times and we are not the same people. Sorry no Clark Kent/Superman story here. An If I get banned everyone you will know why. An If this harrasment continues I will leave on my own.

Freddy J.
Old 20 July 2007, 11:57 PM   #14
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Wow, scary story, but happy that you didn't get taken. Why didn't you report it?
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2007, 02:10 AM   #15
timebroker
"TRF" Member

Lil' bit off topic

Hi,

What happens if I want to have a watch checked by Rolex.
Already bought or want to buy and it turns out to be stolen or fake?
Are there databases available for checking if a Rolex is stolen?
What % of the stolen ones get reported?
Trying to reduce the risk

Filip
timebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2007, 03:18 AM   #16
Blue Bull
Banned

Copied story .. ?
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2007, 08:42 AM   #17
ROLEX4EvEr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bull View Post
Copied story .. ?
My friend doent post here...... so I did it for myself to warn people shopping in the Staten Island mall for a Rolex. Yes its copied and paste
Old 22 July 2007, 09:33 AM   #18
ADISMO
Banned

I also know about Gil from another forum.

What ever happened to these charlatans?
Old 22 July 2007, 10:37 PM   #19
amanda
Banned

Quote:
No offensive to you Amanda but I did copy and paste my friend Gils Post on to here. But a certain MOD here seems to think Im Gil . Well Gil is a close friend and trust me we are not the same people. I have posted my face on here many times and we are not the same people. Sorry no Clark Kent/Superman story here. An If I get banned everyone you will know why. An If this harrasment continues I will leave on my own.

Freddy J.
Sorry Freddy, I never meant to get you in trouble. People were asking Q and I had already read the real story from Gil... so i linked it in thinking they'd understand more so what happened. Shocking story.

Whichever mod is harrassing you is a moron... I dont see what the problem here is at all...
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2007, 11:12 PM   #20
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry Freddy, I never meant to get you in trouble. People were asking Q and I had already read the real story from Gil... so i linked it in thinking they'd understand more so what happened. Shocking story.

Whichever mod is harrassing you is a moron... I dont see what the problem here is at all...
Not one of your more thought out responses, huh, amanda? That one just bought you six more infraction points.
Old 22 July 2007, 11:27 PM   #21
Lol-x
Facilitator

Amanda before you go calling another member of the forum "a moron" (which is in any event an inappropriate comment for any member to make about another) you might want to get both sides of the story. Whether there was any 'harassment' or any sort of conduct that warrants the 'moron' label. Freddy didn't apparently need to call anyone a 'moron' so why should you?
As you say you don't know the moderator concerned so you obviously don't have the full story from both sides.
Again I don't know why you have to get involved in the first place in a matter that does not relate directly to you at all.
You seem to be very quick to denigrate all moderators or persons that fall within that class by your oblique accusation.
I think you owe Freddy an apology for muck raking.
What's wrong with you?
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2007, 12:11 AM   #22
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Steve is correct. Freddy and I have already discussed this issue and established not only why this is a misunderstanding, but exactly why it is so.

Amanda, I'll thank you to conduct yourself in a mature manner here.
Old 23 July 2007, 10:34 AM   #23
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:

What isn't shoching is you opening up your mouth without thinking...AGAIN
Old 23 July 2007, 11:33 AM   #24
ADISMO
Banned

provocative behaviour? some pics please :D

so.... no word on what happened to Folex Enterprises, NY, NY?
Old 23 July 2007, 02:09 PM   #25
timebroker
"TRF" Member

Hahaha, the MOD police
Old 23 July 2007, 02:33 PM   #26
ROLEX4EvEr
"TRF" Member

Ok this is getting to crazy, Please closed this thread and bring Amanda back. Anyone here should remember my a few of my post with pics of myself (4/21). I been here and never had any problems.... until now. Please close this thread, I no longer will talk to the guy who started this TRF DRAMA
Old 23 July 2007, 07:48 PM   #27
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Ok this is getting to crazy, Please closed this thread and bring Amanda back. Anyone here should remember my a few of my post with pics of myself (4/21). I been here and never had any problems.... until now. Please close this thread, I no longer will talk to the guy who started this TRF DRAMA
I'm heartbroken...NOT
Old 23 July 2007, 10:00 PM   #28
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Quote:
Originally Posted by timebroker View Post
Hahaha, the MOD police
Close. How about this.

astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2007, 08:59 AM   #29
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I wonder is a Rolex has ever been brought in for a cleaning (to a place like the one mentioned) and had the insides swapped for a fake? Boy, that would suck.
Breitling Emergency Mission

**They are just watches, wear 'em.**
Old 24 July 2007, 08:17 PM   #30
timebroker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
I wonder is a Rolex has ever been brought in for a cleaning (to a place like the one mentioned) and had the insides swapped for a fake? Boy, that would suck.
Not only when bringing in a Rolex, always checked the first watch I brought to a new watchmaker (until I found the right one).
Taken a picture of the movement which clearly showed all the markings.
And I always said 'I haven't been able to open the back' ...
Never happened though.