The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 17 August 2011, 02:34 PM   #1
1904 Submariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: MF 5513
Broken Mainspring Question

I have an old meters first 5513 Submariner. My job is a bit hard on watches, so it only gets worn on weekends. Friday afternoon I woke up from a nap and found that my watch had stopped. I got in the car and drove straight to the AD. They took it and said they'd call in a few days. Today they called and said the mainspring was broken, but everything else was fine.

In January 2010 my watch was serviced by this AD. They give a one year warranty on parts and labor, so the warranty expired 8 months ago. I didn't ask if it was included in the service, but after reading up on this site today it looks like replacing the mainspring is pretty standard in services (especially at an AD).

So my question is: Why did my mainspring break?

The woman I spoke to on the phone suggested it might be from shaking the watch instead of winding the crown to start it from a stop. Since I don't wear the watch every day, I wind it once a week (not shake it). Should I buy a watch winder to keep the watch constantly running, or is there something else going on here that I'm missing?
1904 Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
I heard somewhere that when Rolex does a full service, they automatically replace the mainspring whether it needs it or not. The reason being they discovered that mainsprings left in a watch that was overhauled are about 30% more likely to break. If true, perhaps in 2010 they left the old MS in and it broke, as Rolex found they do after a svc if not replaced.
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2011, 07:37 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1904 Submariner View Post
I have an old meters first 5513 Submariner. My job is a bit hard on watches, so it only gets worn on weekends. Friday afternoon I woke up from a nap and found that my watch had stopped. I got in the car and drove straight to the AD. They took it and said they'd call in a few days. Today they called and said the mainspring was broken, but everything else was fine.

In January 2010 my watch was serviced by this AD. They give a one year warranty on parts and labor, so the warranty expired 8 months ago. I didn't ask if it was included in the service, but after reading up on this site today it looks like replacing the mainspring is pretty standard in services (especially at an AD).

So my question is: Why did my mainspring break?

The woman I spoke to on the phone suggested it might be from shaking the watch instead of winding the crown to start it from a stop. Since I don't wear the watch every day, I wind it once a week (not shake it). Should I buy a watch winder to keep the watch constantly running, or is there something else going on here that I'm missing?
Mainsrings do break but if serviced by a AD you should have a two year warranty.Mainsprings are not expencive you dont need a winder I would take it up with the AD who serviced your watch.And I would doubt that gently shaking your watch would ever break the mainspring.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2011, 10:17 PM   #4
1904 Submariner
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely going to talk to the AD about whether or not they replaced the mainspring when they serviced it.

As far as the warranty goes, theirs is one year. I don't know if it's supposed to be two. Everything I know I learned on this site, so maybe I'll learn something else!
Old 21 August 2011, 04:52 AM   #5
1000km

Mainsprings should always be replaced during a proper servicing. This spring plainly wasn't changed or was fitted incorrectly. The suggestion that "it might be from shaking the watch instead of winding the crown to start it from a stop" is nonsense and good cause for doubting the integrity of your dealer.
1000km is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2011, 10:29 AM   #6
1904 Submariner
"TRF" Member

To my surprise, the AD called and said the watch was ready to be picked up. That's just four days after they called to let me know that the watch stopped running due to a broken mainspring. I'm not complaining that the work was performed so quickly, but I thought that it took a fair amount of time to make sure the watch was calibrated properly.

Also, I asked about the one year warranty on parts and labor and was told by the salesperson that even if they sent the watch to Rolex it would be one year and not two. Only new watches came with a two year warranty. I wasn't there to argue about their company policy so I paid the $95 and left.

The whole experience left me kind of perplexed.