The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 November 2011, 04:44 AM   #1
marley
"TRF" Member

Canada Customs

My first post...will be visiting HK next year and am looking to buy my first Rolex.
I would not dare bring back a watch undeclared. With this in mind is there any point in me even looking to purchase in HK, would I still be saving $ even if I declare the watch upon my return?
marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2011, 04:46 AM   #2
brkanand
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 4=YMDaytonaGMTHulk
Welcome to TRF is all that I can say! Canadian members will hopefully answer your question soon.
brkanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2011, 05:34 AM   #3
emale
"TRF" Member

There are a few Canadian sellers on the forums. Check with them . They might be able to source the watch for you from a Canadian dealer.

I have bought many watches ( purchased from the forums) through the border crossings in the Niagara area. I was charged just the 13% tax on the purchase price . I take a copy of the listing , my email communication and the payment receipt. Never had a hard time. I was also never charged the 5 % duty on watches.
emale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2011, 05:47 AM   #4
marley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emale View Post
There are a few Canadian sellers on the forums. Check with them . They might be able to source the watch for you from a Canadian dealer.

I have bought many watches ( purchased from the forums) through the border crossings in the Niagara area. I was charged just the 13% tax on the purchase price . I take a copy of the listing , my email communication and the payment receipt. Never had a hard time. I was also never charged the 5 % duty on watches.
Thank you for your reply
What about an out of province purchase, this would save PST?
Old 14 November 2011, 05:57 AM   #5
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marley View Post
My first post...will be visiting HK next year and am looking to buy my first Rolex.
I would not dare bring back a watch undeclared. With this in mind is there any point in me even looking to purchase in HK, would I still be saving $ even if I declare the watch upon my return?
If buying a USED Rolex, UK prices are much higher than in Canada from what I've seen.Used Canadian prices are even better than from the US even before the added duty /taxes 0f 17%.New is a differant story ,US new slightly cheaper, UK new with Vat more,.
cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2011, 06:05 AM   #6
Danand
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Pst is a funny thing. A company that USUALLY does out o province business is supposed to collect and remit PST for the other province, but If a company does not normally sell out of province then they don't have to, and technically it is then up to the purchaser to declare the purchase and remit the tax to their province of residence. So it all depends on the dealer whether or not you can "save " the pst. The best bet is to purchase it in Alberta where there is no pst.
Now having said all this remember that the entire Greek fiscal crisis is due to Greeks not paying taxes. Our society is expensive to run, and taxation is how it is paid. Perhaps you are better to look for a good discount and not worry about whether or not you are charged tax.
Royal de Versailles in Toronto seems to give good discounts, but you will pay tax.
Danand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2011, 06:20 AM   #7
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
...just to expand on Jonathan's last comment, re: the Toronto AD (or perhaps any other province AD), if they ship it back to you/your province, you may not have to pay the Tax, as I was told in a Montreal AD, when I was looking for my DJ. I could buy it in Montreal and they would ship it to me in BC and not pay the tax.. Now whether or not the AD was absorbing the tax or 'it' was tax exempt, that I'm not sure of.

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2011, 06:21 AM   #8
marley
"TRF" Member

Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danand View Post
Pst is a funny thing. A company that USUALLY does out o province business is supposed to collect and remit PST for the other province, but If a company does not normally sell out of province then they don't have to, and technically it is then up to the purchaser to declare the purchase and remit the tax to their province of residence. So it all depends on the dealer whether or not you can "save " the pst. The best bet is to purchase it in Alberta where there is no pst.
Now having said all this remember that the entire Greek fiscal crisis is due to Greeks not paying taxes. Our society is expensive to run, and taxation is how it is paid. Perhaps you are better to look for a good discount and not worry about whether or not you are charged tax.
Royal de Versailles in Toronto seems to give good discounts, but you will pay tax.
I hear you on the taxation issue, but my conscience will be clear on that front!
Thanks for the Alberta idea, a ski trip to Banff might be in order! Any dealings with AD in Ottawa? How would they respond over the phone to enquiries and would they even address the PST issue if I ask them?

thanks!
Old 14 November 2011, 10:43 AM   #9
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
I had a watch sent to me via FedEx and they did the customs clearance. Charged both the 5% duty and the 13% HST. Just so you know.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2011, 10:47 AM   #10
dicin
"TRF" Member

Just wear the watch and ship the empty box back.
GMT Master IIc 116710 LN
Patek Philippe, Panerai, Zenith, Breitling, Oris, Fortis, IWC, Seiko
dicin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2011, 05:28 PM   #11
Swede00

Actually, i think this rule applies everywhere.

As long as you wear the watch the customs can't tax you. You bought the watch outside Canada, and you wearing it makes it used and personal item.
Swede00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2011, 07:35 PM   #12
TimeOnHand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Air-King
Why would you declare it to Canada customs? Just wear it and walk off the airplane... And if you are still paraniod then ship the empty box via fedex and wear the watch back to Canada!
Old 14 November 2011, 10:46 PM   #13
marley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx007 View Post
Why would you declare it to Canada customs? Just wear it and walk off the airplane... And if you are still paraniod then ship the empty box via fedex and wear the watch back to Canada!
I have a Nexus card which I can't afford to lose. My job depends on it.
Old 14 November 2011, 11:26 PM   #14
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
i think you're going out of your way to pay taxes....if you want a piece of mind and if you job depends on it...might as well spend 200 or 400 more and buy it from within your province in Canada.
Old 14 November 2011, 11:31 PM   #15
Danand
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede00 View Post
Actually, i think this rule applies everywhere.

As long as you wear the watch the customs can't tax you. You bought the watch outside Canada, and you wearing it makes it used and personal item.
Absolutely wrong. If the watch was purchased outside of Canada the onus is on the purchaser to declare it on entry, subject to taxes and duty. Failure to declare it can lead to seizure of the item, with payment o the taxes, duty, and a fine. The fine usually doubles the tax and duty.
It is true the likelihood of being caught wearing the watch is not high, but it is also not zero.
The fact it has been worn makes no difference in the eyes of Canada Customs.
The fact the OP is considering a purchase within Canada is a totally different story.
Old 14 November 2011, 11:45 PM   #16
marley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwalker View Post
i think you're going out of your way to pay taxes....if you want a piece of mind and if you job depends on it...might as well spend 200 or 400 more and buy it from within your province in Canada.
If this is the amount of $ I would save, then you're idea of buying in my home province is a good one. I haven't settled on the model yet and obviously the potential savings would be a reflection of that. As I will be visiting HK, I thought the savings could be in the thousands, but will need to do more homework
Old 14 November 2011, 11:53 PM   #17
buffy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
What about wearing the watch and having a long sleeve shirt/sweeter over it?
Just don’t have the box in your bag.... I read that a Swedish guy entering Denmark goy fined and taxed for a watch he bout in the US , because he had the box in his bags....
buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2011, 11:57 PM   #18
blassy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 LN, 16800
I would seriously consider buying here in Canada. I did a ton of research on prices and models before buying my new Sub C. Turns out the best price was from the AD 10 minutes from my house. Pick a model, make it clear to the dealer that you are there to buy, and use the art of negotiation.....you'll be surprised what kind of deal you can get right here at home.
Any deal you get from buying overseas or in the US will be wiped out by declaring it..unless it's vintage or used.
blassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2011, 12:42 AM   #19
MoBe
"TRF" Member

Why not go to the Canada Customs website and find out what your trip or yearly exemption amounts to before you contemplate setting up other problems.
MoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2011, 12:48 AM   #20
Danand
"TRF" Member

Any discount from one country to another is not going to be thousands if you are buying a typical rolex ($6-9k cdn). Don't forget to factor in the hassles of not having a Canadian ad. Any warranty issues are much more easily dealt with IMO if you have a local ad, even simple things like sending the watch for regulation. To me the "handholding" you get from the ad is worth a certain amount of $, especially if it is a first purchase.
Old 15 November 2011, 01:27 AM   #21
karolinec1
"TRF" Member

Here's another option, which may sound a little convoluted. Friends went to Royal de Versailles, and they were offered this option: purchase the RG datejust from them in Toronto, and have it shipped to HK, where they could pick it up from family, or have family who were travelling to Canada bring it back. This would bypass Canadian taxes, and still be a Canadian AD warranty. (They were also offered a 25% discount.) I know that a number of luxury retailers, Hermes included, have offered that option to friends.

That being said, if you do decide to purchase out of country and declare, import on Swiss made watches falls under one of the Trade Agreements, so duty is 5%. Add GST/PST/HST, and you end up coming out about even. However, you don't have Canadian papers, so everytime you travel with the watch, you need to show proof that you already paid import fees.

Considering the discounts I've received from ADs, and the peace of mind with Canadian papers, I purchase locally.
karolinec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2011, 01:29 AM   #22
Puffy
"TRF" Member

why on earth would you declare something

taxes and duties are expenses that need to be kept as low as possible
Old 15 November 2011, 02:11 AM   #23
eric23
"TRF" Member

Is there any reason why you would not just buy the watch in Canada? You will have to pay the GST and PST (or HST) and some duties if you declare it at the boarder. you are looking at 10-20% of the watch price.
eric23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2011, 02:30 AM   #24
Duck9000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II & SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicin View Post
Just wear the watch and ship the empty box back.
I did it and it was perfect
Old 15 November 2011, 04:03 AM   #25
Danand
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marley View Post
I have a Nexus card which I can't afford to lose. My job depends on it.
That is one of the best reasons for not taking any chances. Stick to buying within Canada.
Old 15 November 2011, 01:51 PM   #26
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
"However, you don't have Canadian papers, so everytime you travel with the watch, you need to show proof that you already paid import fees."
Not quite sure about that.. Since never having been asked for my 'papers' on a watch that I'm wearing (bought from whomever, wherever, whenever).. I don't think that is much of an issue.
As anyone ever been asked for 'papers' for their watch, or their Nikon or Ipad or whatever???
I doubt it..!
I never had.

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2011, 02:51 PM   #27
opaline460
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck9000 View Post
I did it and it was perfect

yes wear it you be fine.
opaline460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2011, 03:09 PM   #28
rolexgmtmaster
Banned

Watch: 116610 LV
Hello there:

Any Rolex purchased outside Canada will be subject to the retail price of what is in Canada + 13% tax. Now depending on the agent, you may end up paying tax on the price, but the example below is exactly what happened to my friend.

For example: Let's say you bought a no-date sub in Hong Kong for the equivalent of $4500 CAD. When you declare it at Customs, they won't charge you 13% on $4500, but will charge you 13% tax on $6300, so you'll end up paying more. More than $1000 in tax alone.

Again your best bet is to give Canada Customs a phone call and see what their policy is on Rolex!

You again also send me a PM, with the watch your looking for and I can provide you with a quote for a brand new Rolex from a Canadian AD at a very good discount that may be close or match Hong Kong prices. Cheers!
rolexgmtmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2011, 07:49 PM   #29
pb2au
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on day
If you buy outside Canada you have a duty to declare on entry regardless of whether you wear it or not. If you declare you will be charged about 18%. If you don't declare, people have spoken of fines but you should be aware that you could be convicted of a criminal offence for a false declaration. If you have a Nexus pass, you may find the authorities may be more stringent if you are caught. Agree that the chance of getting caught is low but it is up to you to determine for yourself the amount of risk you will accept.

I also want to point out that you should be able to negotiate good discounts on watches in Canada at AD's.
pb2au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2011, 09:56 PM   #30
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb2au View Post

I also want to point out that you should be able to negotiate good discounts on watches in Canada at AD's.
I agree with this. I bought three in the past year, from two different ADs, and got at least 22% off each one.
cedargrove is offline   Reply With Quote