The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 15 November 2011, 02:36 AM   #1
heidi51591

Watch: Rolex Datejust
~HELP!! Watch repaired!! Scammed??~

~Ladies Rolex Datejust~ I'm new on this site so bear with me and be easy on me because I think I was taken advantage of!!

~The following was done by Eric Martin watch repair EMW.
On 11/09 watch had an overhaul $245 and setting lever repaired $460.

~I never thought the lever was quite right. Well it ended up just falling out 10/11!! Sent back watch to famous Eric Martin watch repair.( Somewhere in between the watch went back because of the lever setting).

~On 10/11 he did another complete overhaul $199. complete barol,main spring & center wheel $240. and a setting lever $260.

~He said my crown was "worn down and not good" and gave a quote for a new one. I refused to pay because something didn't sound right. He said I'll work with you and said I have one "laying around". I had a sick feeling it may not be original so I called to see if the watch shipped and he said it was sent and it was confirmed at that time an aftermarket was put on instead of a crown without a Rolex emblem!!! I flipped out on him!

~He first gives an estimate and says he will work with you--I don't think you ever walk out of there with a regular overhaul. It seems like he will charge you between $700-$800 every time the watch is sent. It sounds the same from others on this site. Unfortunately I just found out about this site, wish I would have known sooner.

~I think I am finished with this guy any suggestions on who I can have a look at this nightmare of a watch? I'm going to demand my original crown back. I have things added on aftermarket (diamond dial) so I can't send it to Rolex.

~ Suggestions?? Demand the crown back,call my credit card for reimbursement. I never authorized the 2nd overhaul.

~Anyone trustworthy in NYC area?? I may even send it back to person who original sold me the watch if he works on watches. It worked like a champ for years after I purchased from him! (Cayce Fugue)
heidi51591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2011, 02:38 AM   #2
MonBK
Banned

I think Cayce has closed shop.

Welcome to the forum.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2011, 02:41 AM   #3
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
I'm sure someone will weigh in and get you headed in the right direction, with that aftermarket dial you are going to have to find a watchmaker you trust.

Welcome to TRF, the members and the valable insight they provide is worth the price of admission
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2011, 02:44 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
You probably could have saved a few bucks by using the Rolex Service Center in NYC... They will probably put it back "right", but you will have to pay for a correct overhaul..

When the crown and stem come out, or the crown comes off, it's a simple set-screw (or crown) that has loosened on early models, and only takes a minute to fix...
Old 15 November 2011, 04:51 AM   #5
heidi51591

Watch: Rolex Datejust
Hi Everyone!
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm not even sure I listed this in the correct area on the forum. I would love to get as much feedback as possible. I'm sick to my stomach over this.
Should I post anywhere else. Sorry I've never been on a forum before and am very new to this. :(
heidi51591 is offline   Reply With Quote