The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 12 December 2011, 03:28 AM   #61
ROLEXELOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
You have to understand the main principles behind Rolex and Patek movements. Rolex build movements to be as sturdy and roboust as possible. It's not just marketing BS that their movements are built for abusement, and that they constantly improve or change various components to make the whole watch a real beater, one that can be worn for almost any activities of life. They don't pick gold or sapphire to be a material for certain movement parts just to make the movement look beautiful, but they pick the materials and techniques that result in the most reliable and accurate movement. The whole "built to last" approach has a drawback though: Rolex movements don't look anything special if you compare their visual appearance to highly finished movements (especially Lange, AP, VC, Patek).

While Patek doesn't design or build their movements to be sturdy at all. Patek movements are most of all beautiful and bear true craftmanship. Just by looking at Patek movements you have to go "WOW". They feature special techniques, special finishing to conform Geneva Seal and recently Patek's own Seal. If you read through the requirements of the Patek Philippe Seal, you can get a pretty good understanding on how difficult to make a movement to conform to that spec. Making the movement look stunning and sturdy in the same time is simply a "mission impossible".

http://www.patek.com/patek-philippe....dId=8&lang=en&

And to make things even worse, several of the movements featured in AP and Patek sports watches are thin movements. Originally both the original Royal Oak and the original Nautilus was designed to be a steel thin sports watch. They originally featured a beautiful and great, but very thin JLC movement. Recent generations of those great sports watches are still quite thin, especially the Nautilus 5711 and 5712. Making a sturdy movement using very thin and delicate parts is once again, a "mission impossible".

Don't get me wrong, by having a delicate movement doesn't mean the watch renders itself useless for everyday wear. It's just the type of wearing scenarios. You shouldn't dig dirt, shouldn't play golf or tennis, mow the lawn while wearing a Patek watch. But after putting the first scratch on the beautiful case finish (especially the bezel), you will think twice to wear your Nautilus or Aquanaut exposed to harsh conditions anyway

BTW, as for scratches: while the simpler finish and classic lines of Rolex watch cases are easy to refinish, it's almost impossible to polish a Nautilus or Aquanaut bezel without altering the overall looks of the watch. The Royal Oak is even worse, since it also has a case with intricate beveled edges, so both the case and bezel polishing will eventually ruin the looks of the watch. Replacing a scratched aluminum Submariner bezel is cheap as chips. Sub-C has a ceramic bezel that is very tough to scratch. Repolishing a Nautilus/Aquanaut/Royal Oak bezel is not a good idea, and replacing the whole bezel is bleeding expensive.

Rolex and AP/Patek/VC are just not in the same league, they are not intended for the same type of use. I'd say you should stick to the Sub for everyday use, and pick a great dress watch from Patek instead of their sports watches. How about a 5146 Annual Calendar that features a unique and interesting complication?

Thank yo very much for your time, that's an amazing explanation about the movements, THANKS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TylvUGJIi_w

Then, I should use the Rolex for everyday use and hard work, and the Patek for everyday use too, but leave it in home for some activities.

The one you suggest me, I like it, but I really have in mind something simple, historical and 40mm at least. That will be the 5711/1a.

Thank you again
ROLEXELOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 03:30 AM   #62
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD View Post

That my friend is one stunner, and pics doesn't make it half as beautiful as seen in real life
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15305Close.JPG (130.3 KB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1721.JPG (133.7 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg Wrist15305.JPG (77.0 KB, 269 views)

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 03:37 AM   #63
ROLEXELOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnswatch View Post
Seems this thread got hijacked by a troll.

Back to the original posters question - I'd go for the Nautilus over the Aquanaut.

The case of the Nautilus is just amazing. It's wonderfully thin with every single surface bevelled or curved. The attention to detail is just stunning. While it's not a true sports watch, and let's be honest everything short of a G-Shock isn't - it is a great choice if you want a bracelet watch you can wear to the beach or round the pool without worrying about taking it off before jumping in to join the kids.

Have you handled both of them together?
Thanks for your comment. I can say that I've tried both (Nautilus Chrono and Aquanaut with bracelet)9 one month ago in Hong Kong. Wasn't the exactly model that I want, but to get and idea how they look together was enough. Patek was always in my mind as I said before, but after I tried the watches I can't take the image from my mind!!

Regards
Old 12 December 2011, 03:53 AM   #64
ROLEXELOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Fiery's argument is a well reasoned position that doesn't resort to putting anyone down. I happen to agree with him that Patek isn't as robust as a sports Rolex because of the case design and movement thinness. I don't consider many of my watches true sports watches but I've had occasion to wear my Nautilus and AP RO on the golf course and autocross events. I believe they were designed as casual sports watches and wouldn't hesitate to wear them everyday but not if my everyday activities involved working a jackhammer or working on an oil rig. If it's mostly office wear and chores around the house or the occasional dip in the pool, I've had no issues (as long as you aren't paranoid about the finish).
I'm the kind of people that think that after the first scratch, it's doesn't metter the next one. Just a war scar. Of course I take care of my watches. But I will not die if some scratch appears. I've dived with my Ploprof down to 29 meters (I will put some photos), I've played padel with my 14060 and many other things, but I will not do it with the Patek. Let's say that the Patek will be in my collection for occasions. My main work is in front of the computer, visiting factories in China and most of the time, in a plane. When I go to the gym and this winter to the snow I go with my G-shock. So my daily wear is not so hard

Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03646.jpg (57.9 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0205.jpg (57.9 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0215.jpg (45.4 KB, 266 views)
Old 12 December 2011, 03:55 AM   #65
ROLEXELOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSW View Post
That my friend is one stunner, and pics doesn't make it half as beautiful as seen in real life
Really nice. Will be cool if you can do some review of the watch or at least some video and put it on youtube :)

Regards
Old 12 December 2011, 04:20 AM   #66
ROLEXELOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEXELOR View Post
Really nice. Will be cool if you can do some review of the watch or at least some video and put it on youtube :)

Regards
Yes! I found one nice video

Cheers
Old 12 December 2011, 04:35 AM   #67
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEXELOR View Post

Regards
The 15305 is ain't mine, Just been trying it on several times at the AD

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 04:42 AM   #68
ROLEXELOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you really like it, someday will be yours
Old 12 December 2011, 04:46 AM   #69
DD GT3 RD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Which AD? Ive been looking around at prices...selling my black face daytona. Was debating between the 15305 and PP 5711 /5712
DD GT3 RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 10:44 AM   #70
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Juan,
Here are some photos as requested of my Nautilus and 14060M together.

kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 11:15 AM   #71
Tijssan
"TRF" Member

Watch: this...
Poser Alert

As Mike - I also own both and I have to say the Nautilus really is something else.

TBH - the sub is more noticed by most folks vs the Nautilus, so so much for posing.... Anyway, here you go:

Tijssan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 11:27 AM   #72
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Quote:
Juan,

Mike, every time I see your watches I'm truly amazed, you have a wonderful collection!

Quote:
I am learning so much from your posts! I repent my wannabe poseur nature. I've completely fallen for the awesome Patek marketing machine. I should have instead listened to the marketing strategies of Rolex, AP, and Panerai as you stated. What was I thinking?!
Can I suggest you a quartz watch instead?
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 11:46 AM   #73
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My apologies for the negativity folks. I just don't take kindly to name calling (wannabe, poseur, etc) based on watch choices... sure criticize the watches all you want but that's no reason to put down other WIS for their personal choices.
+1

It is ironic that the person that made the poser comments is actually the person who is most sensitive to how other people perceive him when wearing a particular watch.
RolexWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 02:39 PM   #74
cgjane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509 BlackArabic
Quote:
My apologies for the negativity folks. I just don't take kindly to name calling (wannabe, poseur, etc) based on watch choices... sure criticize the watches all you want but that's no reason to put down other WIS for their personal choices.
Dude, I re-wrote my response 10 times...left it with the "nice" version.

Nice watches from one poseur to another...

Can ec100020 please review my collection?

(HOPING TO GET 1 LEGIT!)
Old 12 December 2011, 04:15 PM   #75
ec10020
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjane View Post
Can ec100020 please review my collection?
I like the consistent theme of SS sports watches.

1. sea dweller is a semi legit pick. if you have dived below 100m with a seadweller, that would be the ultimate authenticity to me (the opposite of a poseur) but lets say youre a desk diver and wouldnt even wash your hands with the sea dweller on. Are you a poser?

I actually think this is a case where its ok, because the submariner/dweller are so ubiquitous and the design so iconic that no would could actually accuse a sea dweller wearer of trying to pass himself off as a navy seal deep sea combat diver or national geographic underwater photographer. Of course, if you ARE actually a national geographic underwater deep sea photographer, then you are legitimately and authentically cool, and I would have sex with you, if I were a girl, which I am not.

2 AP RO Panda is the watch of rich european trust fund discotech club kids. Are you this person? I think they wear these watches so they can identify each other inside the said discotechs, where its dark, smoky, and loud.

3. GMT DLC - Many WIS do not approve of messing with a watch in any way. However, I approve of the black out. Customization, when tasteful and well done, is authentically cool. That is, unless you blacked out your watch because some hip hop star you saw on TV had one. Then you are a poseur.

4. aquanaut - the less said about this watch, the better.
ec10020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 04:24 PM   #76
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

Here's to us posers!
RolexWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 06:10 PM   #77
ROLEXELOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Juan,

Thank you very much!

WOW! looks amazing these two together :)

If you don't mind, I will put this photos in one spanish forum, relojistas.com, is that ok?

Regards
Old 12 December 2011, 06:11 PM   #78
ROLEXELOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijssan View Post
As Mike - I also own both and I have to say the Nautilus really is something else.

TBH - the sub is more noticed by most folks vs the Nautilus, so so much for posing.... Anyway, here you go:

Nice photo! As I can see, there are many people who have the 14060 and the Nautilus, nice combo!

Regards
Old 12 December 2011, 06:15 PM   #79
ROLEXELOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec10020 View Post

1. sea dweller is a semi legit pick. if you have dived below 100m with a seadweller, that would be the ultimate authenticity to me (the opposite of a poseur) but lets say youre a desk diver and wouldnt even wash your hands with the sea dweller on. Are you a poser?

I actually think this is a case where its ok, because the submariner/dweller are so ubiquitous and the design so iconic that no would could actually accuse a sea dweller wearer of trying to pass himself off as a navy seal deep sea combat diver or national geographic underwater photographer. Of course, if you ARE actually a national geographic underwater deep sea photographer, then you are legitimately and authentically cool, and I would have sex with you, if I were a girl, which I am not.

2 AP RO Panda is the watch of rich european trust fund discotech club kids. Are you this person? I think they wear these watches so they can identify each other inside the said discotechs, where its dark, smoky, and loud.

3. GMT DLC - Many WIS do not approve of messing with a watch in any way. However, I approve of the black out. Customization, when tasteful and well done, is authentically cool. That is, unless you blacked out your watch because some hip hop star you saw on TV had one. Then you are a poseur.

Why you don't show us your collection and the comment of your watches? Like this we will learn more and more
Old 12 December 2011, 06:54 PM   #80
DreambreaX
Banned

Dont sell all of your rolex, u will regret later. Just keep all of your rolex
DreambreaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 06:59 PM   #81
DD GT3 RD
"TRF" Member

I understand what he is saying, but the watch isnt a poser watch, it maybe a watch that many posers own, but only a person can make a watch "poserish".

But I agree with others, if you were a poser why buy a watch that most of the world doesnt know? Buying a Rolex daytona or submariner is much more "poserish" imo.
Unless you are just saying these guys who want the Nautilus are posers amongst the watch world. Wanting to own a Patek and buying the lesser ones?

Also not sure how the Nautilus is a poser watch. Being designed by Gerald Genta and being released in 1974, 4 years after the release of the AP Royal Oak which he also designed. He was highly respected in the watch world. So the watch actually has history, especially if you get the classic Jumbo nautilus which I believe shared the same movement as the AP 15202 Royal Oak Jumbo which is know as one of the best and has history
DD GT3 RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 07:03 PM   #82
thewatchguy93
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy gold..
So sorry for saying this, some people are going to hate me.. I have tryed on many pateks, I think the nautilus lacks in quality. The bracelet clasp area feels so "tinny" and cheap... Sorry

www.thewatchguyofficial.co.uk

Got a GREEN Submariner 116610LV.. Visit the official thread here! http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=179580

Don't forget to visit the Rolex & Attire thread too! http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=215077
thewatchguy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2011, 07:09 PM   #83
ROLEXELOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreambreaX View Post
Dont sell all of your rolex, u will regret later. Just keep all of your rolex
Who will sell any Rolex? I will sell two Pam and one Omega. I'll keep my 14060
Old 12 December 2011, 07:11 PM   #84
ROLEXELOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingoo93 View Post
So sorry for saying this, some people are going to hate me.. I have tryed on many pateks, I think the nautilus lacks in quality. The bracelet clasp area feels so "tinny" and cheap... Sorry
That was my first impression when I tried my first Rolex Submariner... but just my first impression! I'M IN LOVE NOW WITH MY ROLEX :)
Old 13 December 2011, 01:05 AM   #85
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
Quote:
Juan,
Great shots! That one perfectly shows just how thin the Nautilus is. For a sports watch it's unbelivably light and thin!
Old 13 December 2011, 01:20 AM   #86
speedo
"TRF" Member

Watch: dj 16234, 116610ln
Quote:

actually i am having having fun reading your comments though i do not agree with them mostly! keep up the good work!

instagram: modus_horologicus
speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2011, 02:57 AM   #87
cgjane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509 BlackArabic
Its hard to be a sub-100m Scuba diving, underwater photographer!

Old 13 December 2011, 03:07 AM   #88
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

Quote:

wow..this reads better than the WATCHSNOB..LOL
Old 13 December 2011, 03:14 AM   #89
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Juan,

great pix Mike!
makes me want to pull the trigger on the "poser" piece!
Old 13 December 2011, 03:36 AM   #90
Gretsch

Watch: SubC LV & 16600
This thread is hilarious.
Gretsch is offline   Reply With Quote