The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > New Members

Old 19 April 2012, 12:01 AM   #1
Bling72
"TRF" Member

Icon11 Hello from Bling72 new to your forum :)

Gday from Australia.

I hope to make lots of lifetime friends on here, and who knows, perhaps meet one day, and appreciate any feedback to take on board.

Before I begin, I apologise in advance to any member and/or Rolex owner, for any comment I am about to make, the purpose of this post is to describe my situation.

I owned a Citizen watch for 10 years now, stopped wearing it for 2 years, and it cannot retain it's charge very long anymore. To repair, service, re-pressurize it and clean it will cost more than buying a new one. It still works, but it's very scratchy. It is a nice model, has a analog dial with LCD at 6 o clock where you can scroll through 10 time zones.

I recently purchased a Seiko (mainly because my very second watch was one, and I liked the brand, ok for it's price), which is a Chronograph. I always wanted to own one of them. What I didn't know is that the little hand is the second hand, and the traditional large second hand is used only for the stop watch function

It still looks nice, it has a white dial with gold plated hands. It is mildly asthetically pleasing, so it will get me by for the next year or so.

I looked at other shops then saw other brands, for a while I found a Tag to be rather pricey, but after careful thought, you can't really go past a Rolex. I never seen one, or even held one.

I do not own a Rolex, however I wish to make my experience of owning my first one a most enjoyable one. My part of Australia there are only 2 authorize sellers that stock new Rolexes.

I seriously doubt they sell anything was released from Rolex more than 6 months ago. Obviously no second hand jewellery in their stores. Four days ago I checked out the first store that stock Rolex's. I intend to visit the second one tomorrow night.

I took my mother with me, and often she passes to me wise words.

"You are insulting the shop by going in there and not buying a watch. You are wasting their time. They are here to make money and sell Rolexs".

She has a good point, I "could" purchase a watch, but I had to be 100% happy with the choice. The lowest price one went for $5500, but the size was 36mm. Way too small for my wrist, so it would be like trying to squeeze an elephant into a mini. I found a 40mm watch, which I found much more pleasing :

Millgauss white dial - 116400.

Please correct me if I am wrong, you cannot see any of the watch in the dark. Unlike other models ?

I believe it sells for $7,500 but I'll check to confirm tomorrow.

I do not wish to insult anyone or any business, but whatever money I part with, I would have little idea what a real or fake Rolex is. I read alot to know the obvious tell-tale signs. These two stores are official authorized dealers, so I should be ok with peace of mind that the Rolex I buy is geniune.

My mind is set, my next watch will be a Rolex. I touched the $5500 one, worn it, gazed on the dial for a minute, it looks very beautiful.

I was advised by some friends, do not walk into a shop about to buy something this extravagant unless you have at least twice at much money as the cost of the watch. One must also insure the watch. I live in one of the most expensive places in the world, a decent meal costs $30. In Melbourne you can easily get a good feed under $10. Bacon and eggs here costs $15

I would imagine insurance would cost at least $1000.

Anyway I found another dialemma - I watched a Rolex commercial last night.

A man said I reached the top of my profession... then I quit.

Then the motto statement :

The time it takes to make a Rolex, is nothing compared to the time it takes to deserve one.

It made me feel that I am not quite worthy yet of buying one.

The motto is a crown for every achievement.

Hmmm. I have accomplished several decent things in my life. I wonder if you can buy a Rolex based on your past achievements or is it too late ?

I have been asking friends at work 12 yesterday, and received 12 different opinions, I am just getting more confused.

One friend said, you are wasting money buying an entry model for anything. If you are going to get something great, you must buy the best/top that money can buy. Well there is no way that is going to happen for me.

I simply could not get a 200k watch in this lifetime. Well, I guess that remains to be seen but... definately nothing above a 10k one in the near future.

So it's decided, I won't buy a Rolex unless I have 15k to walk in, then IF I can find a reason worthy to own one. Or am I really taking that commercial too seriously ? I realise people do get upset if you buy a Rolex for no reason apart from that you can afford it. Then again if it's your own hard earned money, and believe me I work very VERY hard for it, I don't see how anyone has the right to tell you what you may or may not spend your money on.
Some married men have told me wait till I get married

I do reach a milestone age in 2 months time. In addition in 4 months time I will reach 1 year working in my current job.

Maybe I can inspire a new reason of my own to buy my first Rolex. Forget the rest of the world, I got this Rolex, because I am sure WORTH IT !!.

Having second thoughts on that Rolex commercial who indirectly discourage you from buying a Rolex if they don't deserve to, there are other companies which encourage the buyer to buy it because they deserve to.

As stated earlier, I wish my experience in getting the Milguass as my first Rolex a most enriching life experience. I forgot to mention I of all people do appreciate the finer things in life. I take my music very seriously, built a supurb listening environment, nothing less than Class-A amplifiers, never failed to impress a set of ears who have come to my house.

I aquired the worlds finest cutlery, sold them in my uni days, the stuff literally sold itself. The knives cut exactly as easily as they did when they did back in 1991.

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against anyone buying anything of any quality, as long as they are happy, that is the most important thing.

On a footnote, I have achieved being the number 1 poker player in my region of Australia (over a season), finished 10th in the state, and ranked 151 out of 458,000 Australian poker players. I could aspire to pick up my poker again, play in the high roll, see if I make it into the big time, and sky's the limit.

Feedback on my many questions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bling.
Bling72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2012, 01:23 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Welcome to the Forum..
Old 19 April 2012, 01:27 AM   #3
A.J.R.
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBC, DJII
Greetings!
Old 19 April 2012, 01:28 AM   #4
chicfarmer1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Midsize Datejust
First, welcome.

Second, you are allowed to visit an AD as many times as you want to before purchasing. Take your time, try watches on the wrist on several visits--whatever it takes so you form a true affection for a particular watch. Or not. You might learn you don't really love a Rolex, and that's fine, too.

There's no magic ratio except if you can buy it, you can. This isn't all that different from getting a sofa.

Have fun!
chicfarmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2012, 01:29 AM   #5
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wall Street
Welcome! It get's pretty wild here but it's all in horological fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120311_142519-1.jpg (51.6 KB, 43 views)

"A Watch Is An Emotional Object, And So, It Is The Responsibility Of The Brand To Create Emotion Through It's Products" - Georges Kern

"In the 1950s and 60s, they made the Ref 8171, which is a cult collectible—now that’s the ultimate Rolex you could own with a calendar and a moon phase.” - John Reardon

"Heh, heh, heh..." - Michael Kilyung
FremStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2012, 01:30 AM   #6
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Welcome to TRF.

If your ready you'll know it.

If your not Rolex will always be there, it'll just cost a little bit more.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2012, 01:31 AM   #7
Keeperoftime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Welcome to TRF!
Old 19 April 2012, 01:33 AM   #8
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Welcome

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2012, 01:36 AM   #9
Frogman4me
Banned

Welcome to TRF! The really friendly forum :)
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2012, 01:41 AM   #10
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicfarmer1 View Post
First, welcome.

Second, you are allowed to visit an AD as many times as you want to before purchasing. Take your time, try watches on the wrist on several visits--whatever it takes so you form a true affection for a particular watch. Or not. You might learn you don't really love a Rolex, and that's fine, too.

There's no magic ratio except if you can buy it, you can. This isn't all that different from getting a sofa.

Have fun!
Welcome to TRF!

I think J has a great point here about the AD's, I've been lurking jewelry stores ever since I was 14 and I've never felt bad for trying things out. At the price those watches (or any luxury items) go you are right to say that you want your piece to be perfect for you, therefore I'd say it is a must that you try it and take a close look at it. Don't hesitate to compare them as well, those people may be there to sell watches but they also know they do not sell 100 watches a day, if one tells you you're annoying because you try watches then this person doesn't know how to do business and I'd recommend you to leave his store. There are plenty of wonderful AD's around the world that have knowledgeable, helpful and patient employees!

As for being worthy, I'm afraid I can't agree with you. I am a student who worked hard at his job and saved money to buy his first Rolex and I am more than happy with it. You don't need to be worthy of anything in order to buy luxury items, you just need to like them or have a passion for them (just like a lot of people around here). If anybody told me "I buy a Rolex because I'm worthy of it" then I'd find this person to be more arrogant than right. I'd rather talk to somebody who buys watches because of its passion or because he found them beautiful and well built and have a very pleasant conversation with him.

In other words, you should only listen to your heart and mind if you want to buy a watch (or any item for that matter), if you like it and can afford it, go for it and enjoy it to the fullest!

P.S.: I do agree with the financial part of your message though, you should make sure that this purchase still leaves enough money in your account to avoid struggling at the end of the month!
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2012, 04:18 AM   #11
Watchonisto
Banned

Watch: AP, ROLEX, PP, PAM
Welcome
Watchonisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2012, 05:08 AM   #12
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
Welcome.

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2012, 05:11 AM   #13
Chipmunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXES
Welcome to TRF.

Chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2012, 07:48 AM   #14
Monte Cristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you...
Welcome to trf.
Not sure what part of Australia u r from, but the couple of ADs I know in Sydney CBD are certainly very welcoming and I have not had any issues with walking in and trying on multiple pieces without purchasing. The reason they have a store front is to attract passers bye, so that people can walk in and try items on. I don't think anyone would expect that every time you walk in you have to buy something.

I have bought from ADs before, but I think my next purchase will be from a trf trusted seller.

Take your time and enjoy the process of buying your first Rolex.
Monte Cristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2012, 12:20 AM   #15
eric23
"TRF" Member

Welcome to TRF!
eric23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2012, 01:01 AM   #16
joejitsu
"TRF" Member

Watch: that gOLD Diddy
Welcome!

DD 18038 SubC 116610LN DJ 116234
joejitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2012, 01:11 AM   #17
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Welcome

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2012, 02:40 PM   #18
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: None
Welcome to TRF

Watches:
Patek 5205G | Patek 5167A | 16613 Serti | 116718 Green | 216570 Black | 16700 Pepsi

Wish list:
Patek 5726/1 | AP RG Ceramic | Patek 5712 | Patek 5130
FNFZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2012, 02:59 PM   #19
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Welcome!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2012, 01:19 AM   #20
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Welcome to TRF

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote