The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 3 May 2012, 11:23 AM   #1
Mr. RoC
"TRF" Member

Watch: where you're going
UPDATE +9 sec ... RSC Canada says +2 sec so won't make any adjustments?

Help me understand... did I test my Explorer accuracy incorrectly before visiting RSC Canada?? Maybe I don't fully understand COSC???

The Explorer is full wind and when worn on my wrist for 24 hours it gains +9 seconds, during the day it's regular daily movements and at night it's sleep movements.

Now for the 6 positions... 24 hours for each position:

Dial Up: +4 sec
Dial Down: +5 sec
Crown Up: 0 sec
Crown Down: +2 sec
Crown Right: -1 sec
Crown Left: +2 sec

How I did my testing was after 24 hrs in one position I would reset the time to Atomic time, 30 winds of the crown and repeat my test in another position for another 24 hrs. I do this for all 6 positions. Is this correct or should I have left the time after 24 hrs, 30 winds of the crown and record the time after another 24 hrs and repeat for all 6 positions and the compare the current time to my Atomic time source to see the final gain or lose?

Anyhow, I brought my Explorer to RSC Canada this afternoon to have it regulated based on a gain of +9 sec a day when worn on my wrist. A half hour later my watch was returned to me and was inform that their test show a again of only +2 sec in all 5 positions and because it is within COSC they will not make any adjustments. BUT they did offer to have my watch sent to the service department but that means leaving my watch with them for awhile which I declined for the time being.

One last thing... when they gave me back my watch it was cold, as if my watch was in the fridge over night. Any ideas on that?

Thanks for the advice in advanced.

Explorer is only 2 months old and gained +9 sec from when I bought it.
Mr. RoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2012, 01:51 PM   #2
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Sounds typical of RSC unfortunately. IMO, for those that timing is a concern and the person is a creature of habit (meaning their daily activities are consistent), the best way to regulate is to:

1) Set time and wind how you prefer (6 winds from stop is plenty and
let the autowind do the work if you are active(so many will disagree
lol))
2) Note and log time difference to atomic clock every 24 hours for four
weeks.
For example: +4,+6.+3.+1.+4…..
3) Then take the total time difference from atomic clock and divide by
the number of days.
For example: 140 seconds/35 days ==5s/d
4) Evaluate each day’s variance for any irregularities. If there many
days with big differences, there may be other issues.
For example -10,+5,-15,+30 etc.
5) Go to your RSC and say I don’t care what kind of time it keeps on
your machine, the time on my wrist is what is important to me and
please adjust to my findings (for example, adjust -5 sec from
current setting).

Good luck.
CD
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2012, 01:51 PM   #3
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
I don't know about all of that but I wind my watch about once a week so a minute every week or so wouldn't bother me. I think if a RSC says its running at +2 I believe that. Their tools are pretty good. What did you test it against. There are only a few places I'd trust keeping time that accurately. I use time.gov only. Maybe check it again against several clocks and see how it is. Sorry I'm not more helpful.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2012, 06:35 PM   #4
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
How accurate is it if you just wear it regularly for a month?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2012, 06:54 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. RoC View Post
Help me understand... did I test my Explorer accuracy incorrectly before visiting RSC Canada?? Maybe I don't fully understand COSC???

The Explorer is full wind and when worn on my wrist for 24 hours it gains +9 seconds, during the day it's regular daily movements and at night it's sleep movements.

Now for the 6 positions... 24 hours for each position:

Dial Up: +4 sec
Dial Down: +5 sec
Crown Up: 0 sec
Crown Down: +2 sec
Crown Right: -1 sec
Crown Left: +2 sec

How I did my testing was after 24 hrs in one position I would reset the time to Atomic time, 30 winds of the crown and repeat my test in another position for another 24 hrs. I do this for all 6 positions. Is this correct or should I have left the time after 24 hrs, 30 winds of the crown and record the time after another 24 hrs and repeat for all 6 positions and the compare the current time to my Atomic time source to see the final gain or lose?

Anyhow, I brought my Explorer to RSC Canada this afternoon to have it regulated based on a gain of +9 sec a day when worn on my wrist. A half hour later my watch was returned to me and was inform that their test show a again of only +2 sec in all 5 positions and because it is within COSC they will not make any adjustments. BUT they did offer to have my watch sent to the service department but that means leaving my watch with them for awhile which I declined for the time being.

One last thing... when they gave me back my watch it was cold, as if my watch was in the fridge over night. Any ideas on that?

Thanks for the advice in advanced.

Explorer is only 2 months old and gained +9 sec from when I bought it.
Myself believe you are being over anxious with your watch and in your testing method.Now just fully wind your watch first 40 full crown turns clockwise only.Then if you have a quartz watch for this test that will be accurate enough. Synchronise your watch with the quartz then wear as normal but for 8 hours plus a day.Rest watch over night say vertical crown up, check time daily with the quartz for five days.Then after the wearing resting your watch average out the loss or gain over those 5 days for a average daily result.Now when they test the bare uncased movement at the COSC the movement could vary by up to 10 seconds in 24 hours and still pass the COSC test.The COSC test is a Average of between -4 +6 seconds over any 24 hour period this don't mean it will perform exactly the same every day.And SS is naturally cold when left of the wrist and even when say a watch is regulated to say +2 on the timing machine, it don't always mean it will perform exactly the same while on the wrist.

Below COSC spec list left column for movements of Rolex size

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2012, 09:04 PM   #6
Mr. RoC
"TRF" Member

I compare with time.gov and iphone app Emerald Sequoia. Both are the exact time.

The movement is consistent, which is good. If I wear my watch during the day, 8 -12hrs and my activities are the same then the gain is +7sec. so it seems the extra two seconds is gained when my wrist is in sleeping movements/positions.

I'm not discrediting RSC, just trying to understand because I've read all the old posts regarding gain and loses and bringing it into a RSC for regulation, 0.5 - 1hrs wait time, and all is solved for the most part. But in my case nothing was adjusted which I was a bit disappointed.

My 1120 cal Omega SMP after a 1 month break-in period from a overhaul by Swatch Group Canada has +/- 0 sec on my wrist or dial up for any given time and my wife's 26mm DJ that she bought at the same time I bought my Explorer has + 1 sec when worn on wrist and crown up after one week, set her time on a Sat and then rechecked the time the following Sat.
Old 10 May 2012, 11:55 PM   #7
Mr. RoC
"TRF" Member

William's Weird or What vs. Jesse's Conspiracy Theory????

Will it be William Shatner or Jesse Ventura???

An update...

Lo and behold... after that visit to RSC Canada and was told that my Explorer is +2 sec and "no adjustment needed" it has magically gone from +7 sec on my wrist for 12 hrs down to +2 sec on my wrist for 12 hrs.

.... Is that Weird or What OR a Conspiracy Theory???

"You are under a RSC spell now... there is nothing wrong with your Rolex... everything is perfect... now go away..."

Anyhow... My testing was the same as before, on wrist for 12 hrs and rests Crown Up when it is not worn at bed time. Snyc'ed with time.gov on May 3rd till this morning May 10th it has gained +15 sec.
Old 11 May 2012, 01:33 AM   #8
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:

An update...

Lo and behold... after that visit to RSC Canada and was told that my Explorer is +2 sec and "no adjustment needed" it has magically gone from +7 sec on my wrist for 12 hrs down to +2 sec on my wrist for 12 hrs.

"You are under a RSC spell now... there is nothing wrong with your Rolex... everything is perfect... now go away..."

Anyhow... My testing was the same as before, on wrist for 12 hrs and rests Crown Up when it is not worn at bed time. Snyc'ed with time.gov on May 3rd till this morning May 10th it has gained +15 sec.

These Mechanical Marvels sure do have a mind of their own sometimes....
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2012, 01:44 AM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:

An update...

I would say its more likely the way you was testing your watch, and almost daily there will be tiny variations. Just forget all this timing resting stuff and just wear your watch in good health thats more important than worrying over a few seconds. So just check time once a week and adjust once a week if needed even then you still will not be late for work,catch a bus,train or plane or appointments.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 11 May 2012, 03:06 AM   #10
Mr. RoC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
I would say its more likely the way you was testing your watch
Nope.... resting crown up is crown up and wearing the watch EXACTLY the same way, on my left wrist, since my visit from RSC unless I got a new job with new hours that I didn't know about... must still be under the influence of the RSC spell....
Old 11 May 2012, 04:29 AM   #11
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
how accurate is it if you just wear it regularly for a month?
x2

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2012, 05:50 AM   #12
Mr. RoC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSW View Post
x2
Accuracy??? I can say it was consistent... +7 sec per day on wrist .

Before RSC visit... After one week of consistent routine of on the wrist and off the wrist resting crown up (+/-0 sec in that position) resulted in +49 sec, sync'ed on a Sunday and final check on the following Saturday.

Now... after my visit from RSC and told nothing was adjusted, the Explorer is now +15 sec after seven days of my same routine... habit is habit... OCD is OCD, yes I have OCD and I'm not ashamed to say it.

Sync'ed it again today, May 10th, with time.gov at 11:00am....

Either way I'm now happy with +2 sec per day on wrist for 8 - 12 hours.
Old 11 May 2012, 06:49 AM   #13
JohnnyS.
Banned

Quote:
Accuracy??? I can say it was consistent... +7 sec per day on wrist

Now... after my visit from RSC and told nothing was adjusted, the Explorer is now +15 sec after seven days of my same routine
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Rolex Canada did make an adjustment, and didn't say so. They don't like to admit when Rolex has made a mistake, or something is not perfect.

If they had the watch for over 30 minutes, that's plenty of time to check the timing, and make a small adjustment with the microstella screws.
JohnnyS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2012, 04:31 PM   #14
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Rolex Canada is top notch! I sincerly doubt they made any adjustment without informing you and I'm certain they would not lie about it. The good thing is you're running at a consistent +2 which is excellent. Enjoy your Rolex.
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2012, 07:23 PM   #15
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Nope.... resting crown up is crown up and wearing the watch EXACTLY the same way, on my left wrist, since my visit from RSC unless I got a new job with new hours that I didn't know about... must still be under the influence of the RSC spell....
I did not say resting I said way you were testing, and yes you have the new Rolex owners OCD syndrome.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 13 May 2012, 05:40 AM   #16
ajmexplorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer 39
ive just set mine (exp 39mm) to the clock on this site, i guess thats as accurate as anyone would need? i will let you know how its running in 24hrs...
ajmexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2012, 08:12 AM   #17
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
I need some duct tape to keep the pieces of my brain from flying across the room when my head explodes lol Rikki
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2012, 11:47 AM   #18
Mr. RoC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
I need some duct tape to keep the pieces of my brain from flying across the room when my head explodes lol Rikki
You!!!! How about me!!!! I'm going about time keeping.

Just came back from a 200 round IPSC match and wore my Explorer... gain was only +4 sec after 12 hours on my wrist today...., it took a beating.

Waaaaaaay better than the consistent +7 sec gain after 12 hours per day on my wrist regardless of what I was doing before RSC visit.
2012 G-Shock GW-2310FB-1
2013 Rolex Submariner Date 116610LN
Old 13 May 2012, 07:16 PM   #19
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmexplorer View Post
ive just set mine (exp 39mm) to the clock on this site, i guess thats as accurate as anyone would need? i will let you know how its running in 24hrs...
The clock on this site takes the time from your computer clock and that's accurate enough to test any watch.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 14 May 2012, 04:10 AM   #20
ajmexplorer
"TRF" Member

chaps, im running about 6 seconds fast in last 24hours.....it had a wind 24 hrs ago and its been on my wrist for only about 4 hours during this time...oh god i can hear how i sound.... anyway im gonna check back in another 24hrs just incase anyones bothered! i fear this is an endless, thankless but never the less vital task
Old 15 May 2012, 08:11 AM   #21
ajmexplorer
"TRF" Member

dropped back now to +4 secs in the last 24hrs. last post on this front, life is passing me by