The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 July 2012, 11:34 PM   #1
Doctorsti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660
Less then a year old SubC LV 25 seconds slow? What's up with that?

As those that have read my recent collection post I just got a preowned 116610LV HULK, full box and papers, even with a few stickers left on the clasp and all. I absolutely love this watch, the look is like nothing I've ever had where it's got a lot of class but is also just unique enough to really not be too "safe."

Welllll how shocked was I when I checked the time last night and realized it was pretty far off my DSSD that I set it to in the afternoon. That's weird... maybe I just didn't set it well because I was busy. Well I set it again last night like quarter to 11 to the time.gov site. Checked it again this AM at 9 and it was already 11 seconds slow compared to time.gov. That's like 25 seconds slow per 24 hours. That is surely not right! Seriously my luck, first the DSSD with a poorly seated caseback and now a HULK that has syrup instead of lube in the gears!

I believe purchase date from an AD is Oct 2011 so I suppose I am calling Rolex today to determine my best course of action but why would something like this happen. My LN was -1sec/wk, this watch unregulated would be almost 3 minutes slow a week... little different!
Doctorsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2012, 11:54 PM   #2
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Did you ever have it regulated at the AD? That'd by my first step if not already done.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2012, 12:01 AM   #3
Doctorsti
"TRF" Member

I live like an hour from Lancaster PA where I hear there is an RSC. I think another local person here took their Rolex to an AD around here they didn't buy from and they were able to send it to Lancaster 45 minutes away for regulation and repair. I would not have an AD around here open the watch. That just sounds like asking for trouble. If I lived in New York or some other metropolitan city I might try that but not to bash my home state but I would be a bit leary.
Old 20 July 2012, 12:10 AM   #4
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Is the watch fully wound, 40x's or more.....

Lancaster is not open to the public from what I have heard. The watch probably needs a simple regulation....
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2012, 12:58 AM   #5
buddy13
"TRF" Member

Watch: Orient star 300m
I would give it some time and make sure that when you check:

- The watch is fully wound
- Do not let it rest in one position (wearing it is best)

Also, before opening it I would de-magnetize the watch. It costs next to nothing and you wont have people fettling around the movement. Hope this helps...
buddy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2012, 02:06 AM   #6
Doctorsti
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
Is the watch fully wound, 40x's or more.....

Lancaster is not open to the public from what I have heard. The watch probably needs a simple regulation....
Wound 40 and then worn on wrist. Yeah but regulate a new watch?
Old 20 July 2012, 02:09 AM   #7
Spikedlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many to narrow
Get it de-magnetized first before taking it in for regulation. Hopefully that solves the issue. If not, since it is still under warranty an RSC should be able to take care of it for you.
Spikedlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2012, 02:10 AM   #8
Doctorsti
"TRF" Member

The guy I bought it from said it was unworn when bought it months ago, he took the plastic off and wore it a week and then it sat and now to me.

Could this still be like a break in time for the watch?
Old 20 July 2012, 03:48 AM   #9
liuk3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorsti View Post
I live like an hour from Lancaster PA where I hear there is an RSC. I think another local person here took their Rolex to an AD around here they didn't buy from and they were able to send it to Lancaster 45 minutes away for regulation and repair. I would not have an AD around here open the watch. That just sounds like asking for trouble. If I lived in New York or some other metropolitan city I might try that but not to bash my home state but I would be a bit leary.
If it's still covered under warranty, bring it into any AD, and they can send it to RSC to have it serviced if you don't want your AD's watchmaker to do the simple regulation of the watch.
Old 20 July 2012, 03:54 AM   #10
Doctorsti
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuk3 View Post
If it's still covered under warranty, bring it into any AD, and they can send it to RSC to have it serviced if you don't want your AD's watchmaker to do the simple regulation of the watch.
All covered as its 2 years from date on warranty card from a US AD, which interestingly enough for this G-serial, is October 2011.
Old 20 July 2012, 01:15 PM   #11
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
It's unlikely that the RSC is going to "service" the watch for you as new as it is without good reason.. "Service" meaning a complete disassembly, clean, oil, and adjust..

They will regulate it within spec., which is common.
Old 20 July 2012, 01:49 PM   #12
Doctorsti
"TRF" Member

Interesting result today from last night around midnight it took 9 hours to be 11 seconds slow, around noon it was 12 seconds slow for the day and now at Midnight a full 24 hours has passed and it's 13 seconds slow.

I wound it 40 times when I put it on wrist yesterday afternoon and wore it for 6-8 hours or so until midnight when I reset it to see how it would do in 24 hours. I don't know what to think of the fact that it only slowed down 2 more seconds in the last 15 hours while the first 9 is slowed 11 seconds.

I'm crossing my fingers it stays stable and doesn't go crazy tomorrow. My hopeful theory is "breaking in" but since my only near new Rolex was my SubC LN which was -1 second/2wks then settled to about a second maybe a little less slow a week if I wore it 24/7.

I wouldn't expect RSC to "service" it per say just service it by regulating it and demagnetizing it along with pressure test.
Old 20 July 2012, 05:09 PM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Interesting result today from last night around midnight it took 9 hours to be 11 seconds slow, around noon it was 12 seconds slow for the day and now at Midnight a full 24 hours has passed and it's 13 seconds slow.

I wound it 40 times when I put it on wrist yesterday afternoon and wore it for 6-8 hours or so until midnight when I reset it to see how it would do in 24 hours. I don't know what to think of the fact that it only slowed down 2 more seconds in the last 15 hours while the first 9 is slowed 11 seconds.

I'm crossing my fingers it stays stable and doesn't go crazy tomorrow. My hopeful theory is "breaking in" but since my only near new Rolex was my SubC LN which was -1 second/2wks then settled to about a second maybe a little less slow a week if I wore it 24/7.

I wouldn't expect RSC to "service" it per say just service it by regulating it and demagnetizing it along with pressure test.
First you cannot test any watch for accuracy the way you are doing it and you cannot guess that the watch is going to be 25 seconds slow.Now to test any watch correctly first fully wind around 40 full crown turns clockwise.Then set the time with a reliable time source for this test if you have a quartz watch that will do.Now sync both watches then wear your watch as normal but for 8 hours plus a day.Check time daily with same setting source over 5 days then average out the loose or gain for a more accurate result.And your watch is not magnetised as these symptoms are the watch will speed by many seconds or longer and run very very erratic or stop completely and refuse to re-start.Now after the 5 day test if watch is still way off the COSC spec a AVERAGE of between -4 to plus 6 seconds over any 24 hour period have it regulated a very simple prosses.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2012, 10:17 PM   #14
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
First you cannot test any watch for accuracy the way you are doing it and you cannot guess that the watch is going to be 25 seconds slow.Now to test any watch correctly first fully wind around 40 full crown turns clockwise.Then set the time with a reliable time source for this test if you have a quartz watch that will do.Now sync both watches then wear your watch as normal but for 8 hours plus a day.Check time daily with same setting source over 5 days then average out the loose or gain for a more accurate result.And your watch is not magnetised as these symptoms are the watch will speed by many seconds or longer and run very very erratic or stop completely and refuse to re-start.Now after the 5 day test if watch is still way off the COSC spec a AVERAGE of between -4 to plus 6 seconds over any 24 hour period have it regulated a very simple prosses.
As always, Peter is the voice of sense and reason
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2012, 11:05 PM   #15
blunder

Quote:
The guy I bought it from said it was unworn when bought it months ago, he took the plastic off and wore it a week and then it sat and now to me.

Could this still be like a break in time for the watch?
I think so. My Daytona started at -3 a day. After a month, it's -2 a day. After 2 months, it's -1 a day.
blunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2012, 06:06 AM   #16
Doctorsti
"TRF" Member

Ok to update its been erratic but always slow sometimes only 2 seconds in 12 or more hours but then this AM after not checking it for a couple days it was 40 minutes slow and I've been walking all day everyday at Disneyland.

Any ideas?

By the way it's been worn 24/7 since the start of the thread. By Padi's method it's off by 40 minutes divided by 5 days (maybe 6)
Old 27 July 2012, 07:01 AM   #17
abs2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Black
You in SoCal still? If so, run it up to RSC Beverly Hills. It's gonna be a a little trip from the Anaheim area, but it'll be a quick and worth while trip if it's that far off.
abs2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2012, 07:06 AM   #18
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
Pull the crown out all the way and forward the hands one month forward quickly and then the same in reverse. It did the trick with my GMT C.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2012, 07:07 AM   #19
Londonboy
"TRF" Member

40 MINUTES? in 5 or 6 days? Wow. Or did you mean 40 seconds?
Londonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2012, 07:17 AM   #20
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
It is a known issue that all of the SubC and GMTIIC's movement have reliability issues. Something to do with a spring that was introduced. I expect this to further increase the value of older Submariners and GMTIIs.

Heck why can't I start my own internet rumor and raise the prices of MY WATCHES!!!!
Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2012, 07:27 AM   #21
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Typically.... a magnetized watch will run fast, not slow. I'd bring it in for regulation, something isn't right.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2012, 07:43 AM   #22
Doctorsti
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonboy View Post
40 MINUTES? in 5 or 6 days? Wow. Or did you mean 40 seconds?
Nope 40 minutes! Yes something is seriously wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abs2010 View Post
You in SoCal still? If so, run it up to RSC Beverly Hills. It's gonna be a a little trip from the Anaheim area, but it'll be a quick and worth while trip if it's that far off.
I'm in Delaware and only about 45 min from the Lancaster training service center but I won't be able to go there but maybe a local AD can send it there for me. If not NYC is 3-4 hours away but I would just ship it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexplorerII View Post
Pull the crown out all the way and forward the hands one month forward quickly and then the same in reverse. It did the trick with my GMT C.
Wow never heard of this, what the heck, can't hurt right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post
Typically.... a magnetized watch will run fast, not slow. I'd bring it in for regulation, something isn't right.
I agree something is very wrong but shouldn't magnetism be low likelihood due to the new spring in this model?
Old 27 July 2012, 07:58 AM   #23
U5512
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey® View Post
It is a known issue that all of the SubC and GMTIIC's movement have reliability issues. Something to do with a spring that was introduced. I expect this to further increase the value of older Submariners and GMTIIs.
Heck why can't I start my own internet rumor and raise the prices of MY WATCHES!!!!

Love it!
U5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2012, 08:01 AM   #24
patek.wis
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Sky
Its completely busted man... jesus, youll be lucky to sell it for scrap.

Ill take it off your hands though =D jkjkjkj

Send to RSC and get em to tune her
patek.wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2012, 08:32 AM   #25
Lex1970
Banned

Watch: Rolex Date-Just
To be honest my Current Rolex Date-Just (2006 model) which is the newest one I have ever aquired loses about 5 minutes a week. Now that is almost as bad as most of the Omegas I used to have.
Lex1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2012, 08:50 AM   #26
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Yea I'd probably just bypass the AD and send to RSC NYC or Dallas. Something is wrong.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2012, 12:05 PM   #27
Darlinboy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: :hctaW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey® View Post
Oh you %{#*+£„>!!

Old 27 July 2012, 02:09 PM   #28
Doctorsti
"TRF" Member

Yeah it really sucked this morning when I made that comment about the time some in the group joked that it was a good thing I had a Rolex. Most of them wear Fossils or just use their phone and I am a lone watch nut in a world of haters (especially on spending that kind of cash on a watch).
Old 27 July 2012, 02:13 PM   #29
Doctorsti
"TRF" Member

By the way I don't think it's junk but for 8,000 dollars I would expect it to at least keep decent time considering I've never had a automatic watch off by more then 10 seconds a day and I've had 100 dollar Seikos up to a DSSD. I am calling Rolex on Monday and I really don't want to have to return this to the seller. I can't catch a break lately with the DSSD with a improperly seated caseback and then this!!!!!
Old 27 July 2012, 03:18 PM   #30
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Don't worry too much, I'm sure this will be fixed soon. Ive had issues with a new Mercedes and my Contender 33T (big center console boat) that wasn't old at all. Many small things could happen to the movement. When it's tested it's just the movement that's tested so there was plenty of time for the watch to have something could happen.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote