The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 July 2012, 07:58 PM   #31
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

A quick regulation will do the trick.
xjeeunitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2012, 02:27 AM   #32
Doctorsti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660
I hope it's something simple like everyone suggests. I love this watch and while wearing it constantly for the week I can say its my favorite followed very very closely be the DSSD. These two, a datejust II and an explorer 216570 (and my G-Shock) should cover all the needs I can ever think of.

Here's to hoping RSC gets this sorted quickly for me.
Doctorsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2012, 02:57 AM   #33
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Watch: the shoes.
I have never had a rolex that didnt run at least + 10
Silvio Mosiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2012, 12:31 AM   #34
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Anytime mine gets out of sorts I have a regulation done and it is back to COSC specs, usually 1 or 2 seconds fast per day.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2012, 04:44 AM   #35
Doctorsti
"TRF" Member

Just called Rolex NYC and they offered for me to go to one of the two AD's in my area to have it regulated. I told the rep that I would just feel better sending my watch to Rolex to have it regulated and also that pulling the crown out to position 2 sometimes is just not possible without fully screwing down the crown and then trying again. I said "so can I just send it to Rolex?" reps response "well it will be cheaper for you to go to one of the places I said," me... "well Im more comfortable sending it in and not worried about what's cheaper." rep... well since you are rejecting my options you will have to call Rolex".... me "isn't that who I'm talking to?" rep... "we only handle repairs, you'll have to call Rolex's main marketing number."

what is the deal!? I mean how freaking hard is it to just say "yes sir, this is how you send it to us and here is a service order number" or whatever they give you.
Old 10 August 2012, 05:18 AM   #36
Lt.Arclight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
I disagree that all it needs is a "quick regulation". The advantage of owning a watch with a free-sprung balance is that very few outside sources will change the rate of the watch.

If the watch was CONSISTENTLY "x" seconds =/- a day for an extended time, then it would be prudent to have it regulated. Chances are the wearers habits effect the initial regulation. ie, wearing the watch on the inside of the wrist.

It needs to be examined electronically first to find out what the escapement is doing. If the amplitude is off spec or other anomalies are found then regulation isn't the answer. Even rolex screws up lubricating a moment now and then.Sometimes the only solution is to disassemble, clean , assemble and relube. Just stopping by an AD for a quick regulation for a watch that previously ran fine isn't a great idea. Just my 2cents.

Unfortunately, mechanical watches NEED attention from time to time-don't get that upset. In the meantime, UNTIL you can get the watch into the correct repair facility, don't wear it. Let the mainspring run down until the watch stops running all together.This will allow the mainspring to relax in the barrel. When the movement was assembled a new mainspring was installed-prewound into the new spring barrel that was lubricated with a grease that helps control the amount of slippage the bridal has against the walls of the barrel.-This is why the self winding system can't "overwind" the spring.The spring was also lubricated. It does take some time for the lubricants to become completely dispersed. Any mechanical device has a certain amount of break-in. One would expect the movement to run normally for years,after all it did go through the COSC testing and evaluation. You don't know how long the watch was worn or not prior to you owning it. This is something you can try that will not do any damage.

After the watch stops, rewind and reset it and wear it for a day or two and check it against an accurate source-such as the atomic clock at the Naval Observatory in Washington,DC (phone number:202-762-1401) and make careful notes on what is occurring. Best of luck. Keep the faith!!
Lt.Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2012, 08:58 AM   #37
Doctorsti
"TRF" Member

Lt. Arclight, thanks for the great response!

I did just this yesterday. Wound it up 40 turns at midnight and set the time by "time.gov" and then wore it for 24 straight hours until midnight last night and it was 31 seconds slow from "time.gov"

It's really erratic in that it doesn't lose the time consistently through the day and it loses vastly different amounts of time each day when worn full time and nearly identical activity demands.

My opinion obviously is that it needs to be addressed by Rolex themselves but what shocked me was how completely unhelpful and argumentative the rep from NYC was when I called.... Seriously the guy told me he "tried to help me but I rejected his attempts so I must call Rolex's main office" What!!!!!!!!!! I wanted to tell the guy to take his $10K watch and shove it when he gets it in the mail and when I do call Rolex main office tomorrow I am going to flip that I was treated like that when all I wanted to do was give them business.
Old 10 August 2012, 10:31 AM   #38
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Doesn't sound like you were talking to the Rolex RSC, judging by the comments.. Usually they will give you advice on how to package it and send it in to them for repairs, not ask you to take it elsewhere...

Sounds to me like you may have more of an issue than a simple regulation (athough that is possible).. perhaps a cracked jewel in the escapment and so the pivot isn't turning smoothly.. No way to tell that without a complete service, which is what the RSC does..

Take it to any Dealer and have them send it in, or call the RSC and they will send some materials and data for shipping..
Old 10 August 2012, 12:36 PM   #39
Doctorsti
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Doesn't sound like you were talking to the Rolex RSC, judging by the comments.. Usually they will give you advice on how to package it and send it in to them for repairs, not ask you to take it elsewhere...

Sounds to me like you may have more of an issue than a simple regulation (athough that is possible).. perhaps a cracked jewel in the escapment and so the pivot isn't turning smoothly.. No way to tell that without a complete service, which is what the RSC does..

Take it to any Dealer and have them send it in, or call the RSC and they will send some materials and data for shipping..
I called the number listed for RSC in NYC on the Rolex website. I may go to my AD and insist they send it to Rolex but I don't really like our two local ADs.
Old 13 October 2012, 11:11 AM   #40
Doctorsti
"TRF" Member

UPDATE!!!!!!

Sent it to RSC NYC and got a call a couple days ago saying they are going to perform a complimentary full movement service to address the erratic timing and I should expect a check for the shipping costs to send it via mail shortly!

Wowwwwwww, they are going to perform a full movement service and pay my shipping to and from! Now that is some serious customer service right there... They could have just said "yeah we'll regulate it for you and thanks for buying a Rolex" but they went all out and figured why mess around with it when they can take the whole thing apart determine exactly what could be the problem, reassemble, regulate and ship it back out to me.

I will wait until I get it to be too thrilled but I don't think I could have asked for much more then that from a service standpoint!
Old 13 October 2012, 11:26 AM   #41
brkanand
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 4=YMDaytonaGMTHulk
Expecting a happy ending soon.
brkanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2012, 11:33 AM   #42
George Ab
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Them
Take it to an AD that has an in-house watchmaker. He will put on timing machine. Verify the timing issue, then demagnetize, and recheck. Likely, will have your watch back within five minutes. On average I would say 1 out of 10 watches I get in are magnetized. It is that common. It could also need a regulation, or have something more serious. However, if you go to someone who likely has 3,000 hours of training, and many years of working on watches 40 hours a week he will likely be able to competently diagnose and resolve the problem.

George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2012, 12:26 PM   #43
Doctorsti
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Ab View Post
Take it to an AD that has an in-house watchmaker. He will put on timing machine. Verify the timing issue, then demagnetize, and recheck. Likely, will have your watch back within five minutes. On average I would say 1 out of 10 watches I get in are magnetized. It is that common. It could also need a regulation, or have something more serious. However, if you go to someone who likely has 3,000 hours of training, and many years of working on watches 40 hours a week he will likely be able to competently diagnose and resolve the problem.
Thanks George, you missed the update but I did talk to my two only local AD's and they both said they would simply send it to Rolex regardless so I ended up sending it in myself. I called Rolex to see if they got the watch 3 days after shipping and the rep looked it up on the computer and says, "yes sir we got your watch 10 minutes ago, we will give you a call in a couple days with diagnosis and plan for repair." They called me about 4 business days later saying they are going to perform a full movement service to make sure they solve the erratic timing issues and have sent me a check in the mail to refund the shipping I paid to get it there... 35-40 bucks!

Great customer service all around and they told me to expect a turn around time for the service of 2 weeks at which time they will call me to confirm completion and ship it back to me.

Can't wait to strap that Hulk back on my wrist!
Old 13 October 2012, 07:01 PM   #44
ROGERWILCO357

Watch: Submariner LV
cool can’t wait to see what the problem was..
ROGERWILCO357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2012, 07:10 PM   #45
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Just get it regulated - I did the same with my wife's new YM under warranty, because it was about +10 a day.
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote