The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 18 January 2013, 10:46 AM   #1
Gundam
"TRF" Member

Pen brand tiers?

Looking to get a new pen but to help my purchase decision I'd like to know...

What are the tier levels of prestige? Most respected brands?

Also, which brands make their pens & nibs inhouse?

Which command the best resale value if you wish to flip?

Thanks
Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
There are many excellent brands to choose from and they are made all over the world....so there is not any easy answer. What type of pen are you looking for? Ballpoint, Rollerball or Fountain Pens would be three of the main types. There are also Gel writers and Fine Liners...then you have Vintage pens and pens made with precious metals or not and also nibs are made of different materials as well. Also I buy a pen to use and not to put away as an investment to "Flip".....so to me they are writing instruments to be used on a daily basis. So clearly I understand you want advise but your best bet is to go to a pen store and start looking at and checking them out as each person has their favorites. A good store that sells on the Internet is Fountain Pen Hospital( www.fountainpenhospital.com ) and they are located in New York City, New York. Also there is a company called Paradise Pen and they have stores in many U.S. cities and their Web Address is www.Paradisepen.com

This information will get you started and then of course do your research and continue to ask questions here and in stores or through companies who advertise on the Internet...

Take it easy.....Leo

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2013, 12:40 PM   #3
Gundam
"TRF" Member

Thanks Leo

I suppose fountain pens seem to better regarded and hold their value better than ballpoints. From what I've gleaned, MB seems to be 'Rolex' of pens but a friend extols the virtues of Omas as a more respected brand (?) to the connoiseur.

I'll take a look - thanks for your suggestions.
Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2013, 02:10 PM   #4
oneillba
"TRF" Member

Watch: My beloved TT DJ
I have a soft spot for Mont Blancs.

My Trusty TT DJ
oneillba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2013, 06:04 AM   #5
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
Good advice from Leo. In recent years I've focused entirely on comfort, looks, quality and how it writes as I use my pens on a daily basis. I've also tried to condition myself to be "ok" if it goes lost. Of course I've spent an hour trying to get a lamy that had fallen under my car!s seat. I feel one mistake I made several Years ago was with Conklin pens. I now have several that I don't like and never use....
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2013, 02:04 PM   #6
Lion
"TRF" Member

I too like and use MontBlanc Fountain pens on a daily basis and carry two of them but I do like and use other brands as well. Lately I have been looking at and buying and using Vintage Fountain Pens which have flexible gold nibs. There are many pens and brands from the early 1900's and come in many different nib sizes. I have been buying Watermans, Conklin, Wahl and Sheaffer and have a few being sent to me right now for me to check out.....from a very good friend and Pen Dealer!!!

Take it easy.....Leo

Old 21 January 2013, 02:11 PM   #7
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
MB is a staple, but Omas makes some gorgeous pens! For something unique, take a look at William Henry. They make mostly semi custom luxury pocket knives, but have a selection of pens in very exotic materials such as Damascus steel, mokume and mammoth ivory.
Old 21 January 2013, 10:28 PM   #8
ghislain
"TRF" Member

There are so many excellent fountain pens available from many manufacturers. Depending upon your budget, personal (nib) preference and level of exclusivity I would certainly have a look at the offerings of Aurora, Conway Stewart, Delta, Montblanc, Montegrappa, Omas, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot Namiki, S.T. Dupont, Visconti, Waterman (and many others).
Resell value of all of these tends to be very good provided the pens are in immaculate condition.
I also noticed that fountain pen prices have risen 25% on average compared to two years ago.
ghislain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2013, 02:04 AM   #9
Lion
"TRF" Member

I know that excellent quality pens and especially Fountain Pens come down to what you like and are comfortable using, and of course your writing style. But I buy pens to use and do not concern myself with what they will be worth in the future.....they are to me a tool or writing implement and not an investment. I do understand that people like to know what something is worth...because it can be fun to know.....

I also like and use Mechanical Pencils and have recently bought some that are considered Drafting Pencils which use 2mm lead. Lead comes in different degrees of softness and hardness. Which is denoted by a 'B' for softness and an 'H' for hardness. The higher the number the 'Harder or softer' the lead. Your regular No.# 2 pencil is an 'HB' which is right in the middle. Mechanical Pencils using a Soft Lead are used for sketching because the softer the lead the darker the line but it easily can smear the paper and is easier to blend(also easier to erase). When using a Hard Lead the imprint to the paper is lighter but will indent the paper if you use too much pressure. I use them when doing a Landscape Design as 'Guide Lines' and then I go over them with Permanent Pigment Liner ink for the finished design. I use a 2H or a 3H pencil and what's really cool is I have my Dad's Drafting Pencils from the Late 1930's!!!

Take it easy.....Leo

Old 22 January 2013, 02:18 AM   #10
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
I know that excellent quality pens and especially Fountain Pens come down to what you like and are comfortable using, and of course your writing style. But I buy pens to use and do not concern myself with what they will be worth in the future.....they are to me a tool or writing implement and not an investment. I do understand that people like to know what something is worth...because it can be fun to know.....

I also like and use Mechanical Pencils and have recently bought some that are considered Drafting Pencils which use 2mm lead. Lead comes in different degrees of softness and hardness. Which is denoted by a 'B' for softness and an 'H' for hardness. The higher the number the 'Harder or softer' the lead. Your regular No.# 2 pencil is an 'HB' which is right in the middle. Mechanical Pencils using a Soft Lead are used for sketching because the softer the lead the darker the line but it easily can smear the paper and is easier to blend(also easier to erase). When using a Hard Lead the imprint to the paper is lighter but will indent the paper if you use too much pressure. I use them when doing a Landscape Design as 'Guide Lines' and then I go over them with Permanent Pigment Liner ink for the finished design. I use a 2H or a 3H pencil and what's really cool is I have my Dad's Drafting Pencils from the Late 1930's!!!

Take it easy.....Leo
Always enjoy reading your pen related posts Leo!
Old 22 January 2013, 04:55 AM   #11
Lion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
Always enjoy reading your pen related posts Leo!
Thank you Serg,
I appreciate the compliments and I do really like fine quality pens and mechanical pencils. I have a lot to learn but I also am having fun learning. Richard, Shangas and 2careless really know a lot about pens in general and especially Fountain Pens so I too enjoy their posts and learning from them. I also enjoy your posts and even though we all live all over the world it would be fun to have a Pen GTG...sometime. If you have the opportunity where you live to go to a Pen Show...I know you will have fun if you decide to attend.....
Take it easy.....Leo

Old 22 January 2013, 05:54 AM   #12
BadBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
I'm not really a writer on a daily base, but i like a nice pen so recently i bought a Waterman fountainpen , just to see if "it was me" ...
Did buy one of the cheapest models just because i was trying to find out how it would be.
I must say that it's besides a lovely feeling also a great pen to write with and it looks great too.
Maybe later gonna buy some pens that are a bit more expansive.
So i think a birth of a new addiction..

But it's a pleasure about reading it here ...
BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2013, 11:34 AM   #13
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
I've had a few periods where I went fountain pen. I do love the feel and "back in time" organic feel to it all. Especially filling the pen from a bottle. But alas I have to admit after a period of time ... Having messy fingers ... My lazy bones attitude kicks back in and I put the fountain pens aside. I've flirted with a mb fountain pen several times. Trouble is everything I like is over $1000 and I've never been able to justify that purchase....yet.

I did enjoy using noodlers ink.
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2013, 01:25 PM   #14
vintage69
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1969 p date
The top of the line pens which are special order are Nakaya and Danitrio which come from Japan. You have to special order them and then wait, wait, wait..... The US representitive for Nakaya is Classic Pens which can be contacted thru nibs.com. Sometimes they will have a used Nakaya for sale. Also expect to pay $$$$$$$.
Meantime enjoy your pens. A fountain pen is the mark of a fine gentleman.
vintage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2013, 02:07 AM   #15
Lion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBversive View Post
I've had a few periods where I went fountain pen. I do love the feel and "back in time" organic feel to it all. Especially filling the pen from a bottle. But alas I have to admit after a period of time ... Having messy fingers ... My lazy bones attitude kicks back in and I put the fountain pens aside. I've flirted with a mb fountain pen several times. Trouble is everything I like is over $1000 and I've never been able to justify that purchase....yet.

I did enjoy using noodlers ink.

Of course...each to their own and that is why we have choices and there are no wrong choices....but I prefer using Fountain Pens and really like the way a nib glides across the paper as you use one. For me it adds to the experience and makes writing a pleasure...and I love having the many colors to choose from. Right now I have MB Bourdeaux in one FP and MB Oyster Gray in the other one and have a Rollerball with black. Many Fountain pens today use a converter which makes filling them from an ink bottle...very easy and not 'messy' at all!!!

Take it easy.....Leo

Old 26 January 2013, 10:36 AM   #16
Quix
"TRF" Member

When I started looking at getting into fountain pens, I checked out the popular forums and searched around for one that was my style. I take a lot of notes during the day, so, I needed a workhorse pen, but, I wanted a little style. I went with a lamy 2000, which I think is a really iconic pen with very simple style to it, coming out of the Bauhaus school of design language. It has a hooded nib, meaning that it is partially covered, so, it doesn't look like a fountain pen as obviously as others with an exposed nib. Lamy's are reasonably priced and they have cheaper lines that write well, such as the safari that will help you to test the waters cheaply. As I think about it, I think the lamy 2000 is more akin to a Rolex ss submariner perhaps more than any montblanc. I always thought of the monts as more akin to a gold or platinum Rolex.

One bit of advice that I got early on was to chase the nib, not the pen. That's important because the most expensive fountain pen in the world with a bad nib can completely turn you off. There is a gentleman by the name of Richard binder who sells new and vintage pens and is also a real expert at tweaking nibs. I also have a small pelican and I hated the nib, but, I got a new nib from Richard, and was truly amazed at how smoothly it wrote.

Just like a watch, find a pen that really speaks to you and then find an expert who can supply you with that pen with a properly tuned nib.

By the way, be careful, because you may develop pen acquisition disorder that may compete with your watch acquisition disorder!

Good luck, and enjoy the journey in finding the perfect pen for you. Once you find it, and start learning the nuances of caring for and maintaining the pens, I think you will see similarities to maintaining a good mechanical watch.
Quix is offline   Reply With Quote