The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 March 2013, 09:48 PM   #1
Henrik G
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 39mm
Explorer 39mm opinions

Hi all,

I have been wondering a bit.

I very much admire the new 39mm explorer, and consider it to be one of the most attractive models in Rolex' current lineup. Subjectively, this along with the SubC LV is what sings the most to me.

However, it seems that the Explorer 39mm is somewhat under-appreciated in watch community, and I do not understand that. To me, it is a stunning mix of dressy and sporty, and has a lot of class. On top of that, it flies below the radar and has amazing heritage.

I simply do not understand why this piece of understated elegance does not have a larger following. I am well aware of the infamous critique of the hands, but believe that this is mostly noticeable when seen on a large photo on a computer screen, and not an issue in real life. I wonder if the lack of a date window is part of the issue.

I think it's a marvellous watch, and with its size of 39mm, a very good size no matter which way the trend goes.

So why do you think there is so little love for it ?

Best regards,
Henrik
Henrik G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2013, 09:50 PM   #2
jay_kay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 54
I love mine Henrik!!!

Whats not to love!

It is probably because it flies under the radar that is has so little love from most. The majority of people buying Rolex that I know want it to be noticed!
Rolex Explorer 214270, Omega Speedmaster '1957 Relaunch' 3594.50.00, Panerai Luminor 1950 PAM00127-E, Panerai Radiomir 1936 PAM00249-I, Panerai Mare Nostrum PAM00716-T, Panerai PAM00785-Q Set, Panerai Luminor Black Seal PAM00594-Q, Panerai Luminor Daylight PAM00604-Q, Tudor Black Bay 54 79000N, Heuer Carrera Re-Edition CS3113, Hamilton Military W10 & TAG Heuer F1
jay_kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2013, 09:51 PM   #3
Henrik G
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_kay View Post
I love mine Henrik!!!

Whats not to love!
Nothing, jay... Absolutely nothing
Old 29 March 2013, 09:52 PM   #4
JoeCool
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DateJust
I don't think the Explorer is underappreciated. I agree that it has understated elegance. By definition, it may not have the "wow" factor of some other models, but it is a great looking watch and is appropriate anywhere.
JoeCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2013, 01:27 AM   #5
Lumberjact
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
The 39mm Explorer is my one and only Rolex, and I find no fault with it. It serves me impeccably, whatever capacity I am in, from business suit to wet suit. The problem of the lack of a date should equally be an issue for the Daytona, and since the Daytona has a strong following, that cannot be the sole reason.

In my opinion it is less appreciated due to an absence of the three great perceived Rolex visual identifiers: the numbered bezel, the date magnifier, and the crown at 12 o'clock. It therefore has a smaller demographic.

"Onto his wrist he slipped his steel Rolex Oyster Perpetual, the 34mm model, the date window its only complication; Bond did not need to know the phases of the moon or the exact moment of high tide at Southampton. And he suspected very few people did."
Lumberjact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2013, 01:33 AM   #6
kymwatchlog
Banned

one of the nicest sport Rolex
kymwatchlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2013, 01:52 AM   #7
ralpie
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Loved mine- the "short hands" a non issue for me.
ralpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2013, 02:18 AM   #8
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
I think the Explorer 1 is an amazing watch and I too will own one someday!!!

Take it easy.....Leo

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2013, 02:40 AM   #9
tinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik G View Post

I simply do not understand why this piece of understated elegance does not have a larger following.
I think its probably because 'most' Rolex buyers dont want an 'understated' watch.
Design wise, its one of the best in the whole lineup
tinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2013, 02:46 AM   #10
Cru Jones

it's a nice watch for sure (controversy over hand length not withstanding). rugged and clean. it does not have a date (limiting for some) and it has a decent amount of competition in the rolex lineup (milgauss, smooth bezel DJII).
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2013, 02:47 AM   #11
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
I love mine!
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2013, 02:47 AM   #12
chili90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 1
It's not very flashy, no bling cerachrome selling-factors that Rolex likes to market, or any unnecessary complications. Just a no-nonsense versatile watch for the ages...so for those who like to have more eye candy for himself and for the people around him, the Explorer doesn't really have much to offer them. Otherwise, if you want a classic piece that is robust in construction, elegant in design, and comfortable in wear from work to leisure, definitely take a look at this watch. It won't disappoint :)
chili90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2013, 02:49 AM   #13
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Whether people admit it or not, I think many people buy Rolex to make a statement which conflicts with this piece since it flies under the radar. However, I love the 39mm exp!

image.jpg
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2013, 05:04 AM   #14
Henrik G
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_kay View Post
I love mine Henrik!!!

It is probably because it flies under the radar that is has so little love from most. The majority of people buying Rolex that I know want it to be noticed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinger View Post
I think its probably because 'most' Rolex buyers dont want an 'understated' watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
Whether people admit it or not, I think many people buy Rolex to make a statement which conflicts with this piece since it flies under the radar. However, I love the 39mm exp!
I don't know if I agree... But to the extent that someone without the ... well.. let's call it "love for watches" needs a status symbol, Rolex is a good way to go. Often people with a sub have no idea of the many other interesting models that Rolex do, as they bought it as a Rolex rather than a Sub....

For me, I've had quite a few different time pieces, and it has taken me years to get over the above made point and finally get a Rolex. Thing is, I no longer care. Rolex makes great watches that has stood the test of time. So for me, I feel that I more wear my newly bought and first Rolex in spite of the fact, that many people will see and recognise it. I'd rather they didn't. I wear my watches for myself...

Yet another reason to love the Explorer. It is high quality and premium heritage but flies under the radar. But when I look at the watches for sale in this forum, I see none of the new Explorers 39mm.

And surely, the guys that only buy Rolex as status symbols do not join forums such as this. So I wonder - the lack of the Explorers in the for sale question... Is that because of lack of interest and under-appreciation (such as I believe), or because people stick to them once they get them ?
Old 30 March 2013, 05:31 AM   #15
chili90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 1
I think there's a general lack of demand simply because there's so much demand for Subs, TT watches, Daytonas etc. It's not because Exp 39mm falls short in any measure, but rather it's because the other models are so much more popular. But don't let the general public's opinion sway your feelings for the watch! I think I see so many Subs/Daytonas/Datejusts in the wild now that seeing an Explorer would be even more exciting
chili90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2013, 05:48 AM   #16
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Completely with the suggestion of others that the EXP seems less popular due to it being less flashy and a less identifiable Rolex. Absolutely love mine for the symmetry and sleekness. IMO, the coolest sport Rolex.
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2013, 05:51 AM   #17
Henrik G
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili90 View Post
I think there's a general lack of demand simply because there's so much demand for Subs, TT watches, Daytonas etc. It's not because Exp 39mm falls short in any measure, but rather it's because the other models are so much more popular. But don't let the general public's opinion sway your feelings for the watch! I think I see so many Subs/Daytonas/Datejusts in the wild now that seeing an Explorer would be even more exciting
I do not disagree - but in the light of your reply, allow me to rephrase... why are the the Subs, TT, Daytonas, etc. so much more popular ? I do not question the level of popularity, I more question why this is...

To me, the sub is iconic. But the Explorer 39mm ticks all the boxes. I just got a SubC LV, but if this would have been the las watch of my life (I hope not), I'd get the Explorer...
Old 30 March 2013, 06:01 AM   #18
Boothroyd

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Many previous threads on the topic. I am a happy 214270 owner. But I like the new Sub ND also. (I think its the same movement, if I am not mistaken).

For me, not that big a fan of the cyclops on sports watches (fine on the DJ's), wanted a watch that was slim on the wrist, 39mm is the magic size on my wrist, but in the end, it all boils down to, "To each, their own".
Old 30 March 2013, 06:03 AM   #19
Boothroyd

I should have added that PCL's don't do much for me, which really takes a lot of Rolexes off the table, but for the Subs and Explorers.
Old 30 March 2013, 06:09 AM   #20
Henrik G
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
Many previous threads on the topic. I am a happy 214270 owner. But I like the new Sub ND also. (I think its the same movement, if I am not mistaken).

For me, not that big a fan of the cyclops on sports watches (fine on the DJ's), wanted a watch that was slim on the wrist, 39mm is the magic size on my wrist, but in the end, it all boils down to, "To each, their own".
Apologies - had I found the previous post I would not have posted a double. I hope that I might attract some attention new to the issue at hand, which might add to the previous posts......
Old 30 March 2013, 06:20 AM   #21
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
I love the Explorer I and will probably own one some day. Not sure why they are "under appreciated" but I do agree somewhat with you. I think that a better term might be "not as popular" as some of the other Rolex models.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2013, 07:12 AM   #22
Castor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
I LOVE the 39 mm Explorer. My only problem was with my eyesight not being what it was the watch was, for me, really difficult to read. So I had to go for the 216570.
If I could have more easily read the Explorer I then I would have bought it for sure, for all the reason the OP stated and more.
Sigh...
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2013, 07:17 AM   #23
submariner66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I think understated is understated and thank goodness for it. The Explorer 1 is a must have reference for me. I simply love it.
submariner66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2013, 07:18 AM   #24
hdms
"TRF" Member

One day... I will own one!
hdms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2013, 12:33 PM   #25
beaglehusky
"TRF" Member

I love the Explorer, I think it's the most versatile piece on the lineup, it can be dressed up or down and it looks great both on a strap or its bracelet. I actually love the fact that it has no date.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exp-P3.jpg (109.0 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg Exp br cuff.jpg (106.9 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg Exp NATOa.jpg (90.2 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg photo-4.jpg (95.9 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg photo-5.jpg (113.1 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg photo-7.jpg (99.1 KB, 252 views)
beaglehusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2013, 12:40 PM   #26
Boothroyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik G View Post
Apologies - had I found the previous post I would not have posted a double. I hope that I might attract some attention new to the issue at hand, which might add to the previous posts......
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply there was any problem with the original post....just to point out there have been a lot of opinions expressed over the past couple of years on the forum that can be referenced as well!

Cheers, Henrik!
Old 30 March 2013, 12:44 PM   #27
watchseeker11201
"TRF" Member

I recently purchased one and have barely taken it off. It does fly under the radar and is very comfortable on the wrist. As someone stated above, I think the lack of a bezel leads to a lack of interest from some.
watchseeker11201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2013, 12:47 PM   #28
Apdl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinger View Post
Tiger nailed it

my opinion on the Exp I can be summed up in one word, "YES"
Apdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2013, 01:05 PM   #29
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Awesome watch. Really elegant and classy.
Old 30 March 2013, 03:04 PM   #30
franklin
"TRF" Member

It's a very nice watch.
franklin is offline   Reply With Quote