The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 15 May 2012, 04:16 AM   #1
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Favorite Gondolo in Category

A thread to discuss the merits of those Gondolo's we like the best.

Remember there are no winners and there certainly are no losers.

Just a discussion of which Gondolo's we like and why.

Pictures are a must whenever possible, remember it's awfully hard to discuss the beauty of something without a picture.

From the Patek Phillipe website:

The spirit of Art Deco

The Gondolo collection, launched in 1993, is Patek Philippe’s contemporary interpretation of the Art Deco style. It demonstrates Patek Philippe’s commitment to form watches which figure proudly in the company’s legacy.The name of the collection was derived from the “Chronometro Gondolo” watches that were manufactured by Patek Philippe for the renowned Brazilian retailer Gondolo & Labouriau between 1902 and 1930.

There are 4 models in this category, who would like to start?

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons

Last edited by HL65; 15 May 2012 at 10:55 PM..
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2012, 04:23 AM   #2
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
This category is too easy The 5489G, which seems to be discontinued. Saw it at an AD a while back. Stunning! Its the quintessential art deco watch.

capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2012, 04:25 AM   #3
texex91
"TRF" Member

Interesting series. For me the 5124G. I like the vintage rose dial and the more 'Cartier' look of the square design. Manually wound movement is nice thing also. So out of the two in this category this is my selection.

texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2012, 04:32 AM   #4
speedo
"TRF" Member

Watch: dj 16234, 116610ln
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Interesting series. For me the 5124G. I like the vintage rose dial and the more 'Cartier' look of the square design. Manually wound movement is nice thing also. So out of the two in this category this is my selection.

have to agree. beautiful but in this category i would rather pick a reverso.

instagram: modus_horologicus
speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2012, 04:36 AM   #5
dddrees
"TRF" Member

I actually kind of like the way the 5098P looks. I prefer this case shape to the others, and the way the dial looks as well. The easy to read numbers and the way they are aranged in a oblong and nor perfect oval pattern.

From the Patek Philippe website.

Press release Gondolo Patek Philippe Geneva April 2007
In good form: the new Patek Philippe Ref. 5098 Chronometro Gondolo A genuine surprise by Patek Philippe at this year’s BASELWORLD is a watch of great poise with an evocative name: Chronometro Gondolo. In 1927, the last watch of this series was issued from Geneva. Now, 80 years later, the legend is reborn. The new tonneau watch bears a name that resonates in the heart of every connoisseur. Particularly in Brazil, the name Patek Philippe Chronometro Gondolo inspires awe among collectors and aficionados. A hundred years ago, Patek Philippe was a synonym for watch in this country on the equator. “My Patek says it’s half past two”, people would state, even if they were not wearing a timepiece from the eminent manufacture in Geneva. Chronometro Gondolo was the name of an entire suite of watch models created by Patek Philippe explicitly for the Gondolo & Labouriau jewelry and watch retail company in Rio de Janeiro. For this once so important buyer, the workshops crafted the exclusive Chronometro Gondolo collection for nearly thirty years. It featured square and rectangular as well as tonneau- and cushion-shaped cases. This is why Gondolo remains the name chosen for all current form watches made by Patek Philippe in Geneva. Now, the collection has just been enriched with the new, exclusive Chronometro Gondolo Ref. 5098P. It transports the design of the historic 1925 Chronometro Gondolo into the new millennium with perfect aplomb. The perfect tonneau The tonneau is one of the classic case shapes in watchmaking, and it has never been as consummately refined as for the Ref. 5098. Departing from a 1925 Chronometro Gondolo model, the case design was subtly reworked, the contours delicately retouched, and the silhouette gently cambered for a snug, comfortable fit on the wrist. The curvature is also repeated in the crystal and display back. It takes advanced technologies and rare skills to shape sapphire crystal, an extremely hard mineral, to three-dimensional contours. The result is an aesthetically appealing case – available exclusively in platinum – with a beautifully balanced look and the functionality needed to protect the precious manufacture movement inside. Like all current Patek Philippe models with platinum cases, the new Chronometro Gondolo Ref. 5098P has a small diamond discreetly set between the lugs at 6 o’clock. The watch is worn on a matte black alligator strap with a platinum prong buckle inspired by its historic predecessor.

A new Patek Philippe form movement The mechanical movement of the new Chronometro Gondolo Ref. 5098P was developed especially for this watch. It is the manually wound caliber 25-21 REC PS (REC stands for rectangular), the manufacture’s first simple form movement since its famous 1930s and 1940s predecessors, including the 9-90 caliber that was introduced in 1934 and built for more than thirty years. Together with the 25-21 REC, the Patek Philippe portfolio of manufacture movements currently encompasses 23 basic calibers that are crafted in 45 versions. In decisive details, its architecture follows the formal design that accounted for the beauty of the Chronometro Gondolo movements of the early 20th century. This applies to the elegant, S-shaped minute-wheel bridge and the slender escape-wheel and fourth-wheel bridges that afford a generous glimpse of the rest of the movement. Patek Philippe’s proprietary Gyromax balance is one of the contemporary features of the watch. The movement beats at a frequency of 4 Hz (28,800 semi-oscillations per hour) to assure above-average rate accuracy and convenient adjustability for long-term precision. A face that reflects the times The dial of the Ref. 5098P is as authentic as its 1925 precursor. It is a miniature work of art in rhodiumed gold, with a gentle curvature that extends to the horns. Its center and the zones outside the oval railway-track minute scale are carefully guilloched by hand. Guilloching has become a rare craft and this watch is a fine example of meticulous artisanship. The oval hour scale lies between these guilloché zones, and cartouches at 12 and 6 o’clock showcase the brand name “Patek Philippe Geneve” as well as the model designation “Chronometro Gondolo.” Two pear-shaped hands in black oxidized gold hover above the dial and move with chronometric precision. Gondolo & Labouriau: a legendary name On the 12th of November 1872, Patek Philippe shipped a pocket watch to Gondolo & Labouriau in Rio de Janeiro. This marked the beginning of a long-lasting business relationship. In 1902, it culminated in a watch collection that Patek Philippe had designed explicitly for its Brazilian retailer: thus, the Chronometro Gondolo was born. In turn, Gondolo & Labouriau devised a totally new sales strategy especially for this watch collection. Since the sales price of 790 Swiss francs was roughly equivalent to what a qualified worker in Brazil earned in an entire year, customers were offered an attractive payment scheme: 10 francs a week for a maximum of 79 weeks and admission to an exclusive club with 180 members that operated the Plano do Club Patek Philippe System. Clubs like these were considered private societies and did not fall under the ban on public gambling. Indeed, the Plano do Club Patek Philippe System was a lottery in which one Chronometro Gondolo was the prize in each of 79 consecutive weekly drawings. The first winner received his watch for free, while the winners of the 78 subsequent drawings had to pay an amount between 10 and 780 francs for their watches. The remaining 101 members had no option but to pay the full price. The first Chronometro Gondolo wristwatches – in square, rectangular and tonneau styles, and also in a cushion-shaped carré cambré version – appeared around 1910. For this reason, all current Patek Philippe form watches – models whose cases are not circular – belong to the so-called Gondolo collection. In the second half of the Roaring Twenties, the global business climate began to chill and the last Chronometro Gondolo watch was delivered to Rio de Janeiro in 1927. Now, after a hiatus of 80 years, the collection is experiencing a spectacular comeback.
Continued 3

Technical data Chronometro Gondolo, Ref. 5098
Movement: Caliber 25-21 REC Manually wound mechanical movement
Dimensions: 24.60 mm x 21.50 mm Height: 2.57 mm
Number of parts: 142
Number of jewels: 18
Power reserve: Max. 44 hours
Balance: Gyromax Frequency: 28,800 semi-oscillations per hour (4 Hz) Balance spring: Flat Functions: Two-position crown: - Pulled out: to set time - Pushed in: to wind watch Displays: Hours, minutes Hallmark:
Geneva Seal Features Case: 950 platinum, cambered sapphire-crystal case back secured with 4 polished screws, caseband diamond of about 0.02 ct. at 6 o’clock
Water-resistant to 25 meters
Case dimensions: Height: 42 mm Width: 32 mm
Thickness: 8.9 mm
crystal to case back Overall thickness: 11.45 mm crystal to lugs
Width between lugs: 17 mm
Dial: Rhodiumed, cambered, guilloched by hand New rounded Patek Philippe signature in a cartouche at 12 o’clock and the Chronometro Gondolo logo in a cartouche at 6 o’clock 12 black Roman numerals Pear-shaped hour and minute hands in black oxidized white gold Strap: Hand-stitched alligator, matte black.
Historic 14-mm platinum buckle with screw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5098P.jpg (8.6 KB, 276 views)

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 May 2012, 04:49 AM   #6
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
I actually kind of like the way the 5098P looks. I prefer this case shape to the others, and the way the dial looks as well. The easy to read numbers and the way they are aranged in a oblong and nor perfect oval pattern.
Dan I like this one as well from it's unique factor. Shape of watch, 'art deco' is certainly a good description.
Old 15 May 2012, 06:00 AM   #7
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
5098R for me.....

MoosicPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2012, 06:19 AM   #8
texex91
"TRF" Member

Very nice Don
Old 15 May 2012, 07:14 AM   #9
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoosicPa View Post
Very nice Don, love that Rose Gold by the way.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 15 May 2012, 08:29 AM   #10
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoosicPa View Post
I think this watch gets my vote!

That's a very nice piece Don.
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2012, 01:15 AM   #11
jas55
"TRF" Member

I beleive the rose gold Art Deco model is the best looking model.

Explorer 2-Polar
Omega Seamaster Quartz
jas55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2012, 02:33 AM   #12
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
Thanks all for your kind comments, I need to pull this watch from the vault, thinking I will wear it Christmas week. Here are a few more pics of this lovely piece.....

MoosicPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 06:37 AM   #13
111forza
"TRF" Member

Art deco joy

My Gondolo 5111j
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XPERIA 006.jpg (107.6 KB, 184 views)
111forza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2013, 01:08 AM   #14
Grey.Coupe
"TRF" Member

5111---

A truly beautiful watch. I am trying to find one in Rose Gold.
Grey.Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote