The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 8 January 2008, 10:49 AM   #1
mgi

Cartier Ballon Bleu Discounts

I am planning on getting the small dial Cartier Ballon Bleu. What would be a good discount off the list for a Cartier here in the US? Any recommendations on discounters (Alan Furman?).

Thanks,
MGI
mgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2008, 11:26 AM   #2
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Alan Furman has gotten several positive references on this forum and on several others too.

If I am thinking of the right model, they show it on their website as $5,200.00 retail and $4,160.00 is their discounted price for a savings of $1,040.00 or 20%. The model I am quoting is the small two-tone version. It looks like a nice watch.

When you call them, I would ask them to tell you what the size is in mm so you can judge for yourself whether that one would be too big or too small or hopefully just right.

Best of luck.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2008, 12:52 PM   #3
mgi

Thanks. Is 20% a good discount for the watch? Not sure how much Cartiers typically get discounted...
mgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2008, 01:34 PM   #4
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgi View Post
Thanks. Is 20% a good discount for the watch? Not sure how much Cartiers typically get discounted...
I would say you see between 20-25%, depending on the model. The model you are referring to is pretty new, I believe. Cartier is something like the 3rd, 4th, or 5th highest selling watch brand and they have plenty of their own boutiques, so their watches are strong sellers and because of this I would say it is a good discount. Many buy Cartier at the boutiques at full price and are happy with their watches. You sometimes see some watch brands with up to a 30%-32% but I would say it depends on how well their models are selling and sometimes this has a big connection to how well they are marketed rather than how much "value" the brand has. Cartier is a big selling brand and although I don't know what percentage of their line is sold through their own boutiques, I would guess that most of them sell at full price. I went into an AD here locally and although I didn't bargain much, it was assumed I would be paying full price. It is a nice quality brand, so I think 20-25% off would be a decent price. You can "shop around" of course, it is possible I suppose that you might do slightly better. But in the watch business there are some prestige brands where there is the danger of getting a fake/replica, so I would also consider buying from a source you can trust. In other words, although it's tempting to buy at the cheapest price you can find, I am not sure price is the only factor you should consider. You should also factor in how reliable the place is you are buying from. Several people in this forum (and some others) have bought from Alan Furman and the reports have been that they are honest and nice to deal with and the discounts are pretty good. I wish you good luck. Right now I have my eye on a Cartier Roadster--but I will have to keep saving my pennies before I can spring for one. Best of luck to you.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2008, 05:41 AM   #5
Teofilo

Watch: 14060M,16710 PEPSI
Possibly looking for a Cartier Santos 100 T/T on a croc strap. Any more pictures of Cartier out there ?
Teofilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2008, 09:44 AM   #6
Wolfgang427
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by haakon59 View Post
I would say you see between 20-25%, depending on the model. The model you are referring to is pretty new, I believe. Cartier is something like the 3rd, 4th, or 5th highest selling watch brand and they have plenty of their own boutiques, so their watches are strong sellers and because of this I would say it is a good discount. Many buy Cartier at the boutiques at full price and are happy with their watches. You sometimes see some watch brands with up to a 30%-32% but I would say it depends on how well their models are selling and sometimes this has a big connection to how well they are marketed rather than how much "value" the brand has. Cartier is a big selling brand and although I don't know what percentage of their line is sold through their own boutiques, I would guess that most of them sell at full price. I went into an AD here locally and although I didn't bargain much, it was assumed I would be paying full price. It is a nice quality brand, so I think 20-25% off would be a decent price. You can "shop around" of course, it is possible I suppose that you might do slightly better. But in the watch business there are some prestige brands where there is the danger of getting a fake/replica, so I would also consider buying from a source you can trust. In other words, although it's tempting to buy at the cheapest price you can find, I am not sure price is the only factor you should consider. You should also factor in how reliable the place is you are buying from. Several people in this forum (and some others) have bought from Alan Furman and the reports have been that they are honest and nice to deal with and the discounts are pretty good. I wish you good luck. Right now I have my eye on a Cartier Roadster--but I will have to keep saving my pennies before I can spring for one. Best of luck to you.
Excellent advice. Stick with recommended dealers, way too many fakes out there.
Wolfgang427 is offline   Reply With Quote